why it so easy for western celebrity to get away from their controversy compared to KPOP idol

• you have ariana grande who literally a homewrecker yet still one of the top female singer

you literally have travis scott with the whole astroworld festival (rip) yet still pulling massive sales for his recent comeback (literally everyone talking about UTOPIA)

and this is just 2 example

in kpop, you will literally vanished from the industry for a bully allegation which rarely have a concrete proof (T-ARA, AOA, Soojin).. even getting kicked out from your own group will get you cancelled (Jessica).. not to mention Park Bom (but this kinda understandable as its not obeying the law)

• Completely different culture. There are a lot of things that Koreans look down upon that are actually revered in the West.

If a celebrity does wrong Westerners are also much more likely to forgive and give second chances. There are a number of examples of famous celebrities who committed a crime, moral failure, etc. and after a period of time they were welcomed back with open arms. Americans love comeback stories.

In Korea, it seems like once you’ve been canceled there is no going back to the way things were ever again.

• Completely different culture. There are a lot of things that Koreans look down upon that are actually revered in the West.

If a celebrity does wrong Westerners are also much more likely to forgive and give second chances. There are a number of examples of famous celebrities who committed a crime, moral failure, etc. and after a period of time they were welcomed back with open arms. Americans love comeback stories.

In Korea, it seems like once you’ve been canceled there is no going back to the way things were ever again.

In western culture, having "faults" - as long as you show the proper "remorse" or "reaction" - tends to be seen as humanizing and "relatable", and relatability is held in very high regard here . This is why being an "idol" as KPOP views the concept, would never work as a concept here.

• In western culture, having "faults" - as long as you show the proper "remorse" or "reaction" - tends to be seen as humanizing and "relatable", and relatability is held in very high regard here . This is why being an "idol" as KPOP views the concept, would never work as a concept here.

Which ironically is also why I think KPOP actually is becoming popular here. The need for an “idol” to “romanticize” I think exists in all cultures to some extent but you won’t get that in american entertainment hence a vacuum that kpop idols can neatly fill in.

• Idols are gifted with fame based almost entirely on their physical appearances. Thus, they must behave perfectly or Korean society feels itself justified in canceling that idol and taking away their fame.

• because America Ain't that stingy but Jordan knight is

External Content m.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

:ooo-bee:

• Y’all spend your time trying to bring down any rival idol, this is basically activity number one for most K-pop stans and then, you act surprised when they are cancelled?

• Hmm, I don't know about that...

Yep. BTS has the most dedicated K-pop fanbase; however, this Eras tour is showing just how insane Taylor Swift fans are.

Western music doesn’t feel as “competitive”, but there are loyal and passionate fans.

• idk i think ariana's reputation is taking a huge hit rn. a lot of people are calling her a homewrecker, a serial cheater, they're looking at all of her past relationships and noting the overlaps

time will tell if any of it actually affects her popularity though

ɪ

cf2178e469192fe5d3974a86c101545f41e74afb.gifv

• Ariana should have been canceled after licking donuts in a shop and screaming I hate America lmao but I guess she has a pimp who's part of the elite and that's why she's still on top.

One of the most disgusting and repulsive things I can recall a celebrity doing. If an idol did this they would have sent them to North Korea. There would be no need to worry about their music career, more like how are they going to survive.

• you have ariana grande who literally a homewrecker yet still one of the top female singer

you literally have travis scott with the whole astroworld festival (rip) yet still pulling massive sales for his recent comeback (literally everyone talking about UTOPIA)

in kpop, you will literally vanished from the industry for a bully allegation which rarely have a concrete proof (T-ARA, AOA, Soojin).. even getting kicked out from your own group will get you cancelled (Jessica).. not to mention Park Bom (but this kinda understandable as its not obeying the law)

Because westerners are more generous on the antics of the pop stars since their circle is different from ordinary people's circles. It is no different from something happpening in a faraway planet 100 light years away.

In Korea, at least the KPop stars are sometimes seen in places where other affluent but ordinary people go around. It also has the confucian ideology which requires more famous people to adhere to a certain moral standard; they don't have to be saints, but they should at least not cause controversies.

• isn't confirmed that Ariana is going out with that actor? I mean didn't they say that Camila got involved with Rosalia's bf but apparently wasn't true

even if it was true I don't think their personal lives should matter the only part I agree with is travis. I don't know why he is still promoting like nothing happened people died during that festival.

• I remember IU’s huge Lolita scandal, it was a really big thing in south korea but she was able to recover and is even more loved and respected today.

Probably because her skills and music are so revered that a turnaround is possible.

I’ve seen the same with GD, Koreans still love and respect him despite his many scandals.

• Ariana should have been canceled after licking donuts in a shop and screaming I hate America lmao but I guess she has a pimp who's part of the elite and that's why she's still on top.

Granted I've never liked this girl but I seriously never understood the beef over this😭

BLACKPINKJESSICANEWJEANSSEJEONGTHE ROSETWICEYERIN BAEKYUKIKATHE VOLUNTEERS

ee868cb541261094eb3c49077579820d9d2684ef.gifv259551f29b1b419b0910ccd1ffe7a59b3ca03dbb.gifv9179a574e42e68a00c37635d5151fe4ebba30003.gifv9fbbfdae9fd592cc7858e29f534e290375563da9.gifv

• because we generally don't expect celebrities to be paragons of morality in the West.

celebs are meant to be entertaining, interesting, and provide a distraction or inspiration as escape for people, that's it. in SK, it seems celebs are supposed to function as public diplomats or something.

• Because most US Americans (specifically using US Americans cuz that's where I am from and I know that America also includes other countries) recognize that being an entertainer is a career and does not immediately make you a good person. Sure, there are many things that people do that they can be "cancelled over" or publicly scrutinized for but there are 300 million+ people in the USA so the chances of a single celebrity being hated by the majority of the public is slim. Too many people with dissenting opinions and too many people for the majority of the public to know a single person.

That's why when someone is considered a celebrity in the USA, it's a big deal because they have essentially made themselves known and "beat the odds" of anonymity. It's also why nepotism and underdog stories are prominent in entertainment.

• idk i think ariana's reputation is taking a huge hit rn. a lot of people are calling her a homewrecker, a serial cheater, they're looking at all of her past relationships and noting the overlaps

time will tell if any of it actually affects her popularity though

Most likely won't because there're plenty of POS Western celebs who are doing great like that creep & Asian fetishist Weeknd. Ariana is HUGE with millions upon millions of fans, I doubt she can be cancelled for just about anything at this point.

This is a redundant question, you already know the reason. Cultural differences. In Asia family values, respect and honor are placed very highly in our societies, this is why regardless if its KPOP Jpop or Chinese Cpop actors,idols and soloists get cancelled over the tinest things. This is amplified for idols because of their fandoms stupidly unrealistic expectations which puts this extra pressure on them being innocent naive and perfect people. Case in point seeing grown ass female fans on Twitter saying why does a grown ass man know about oral sex?😂🤡 This is from them allegedly hearing a member of the boys mention it because another member was doing a dance move on his knees near another members crotch area. The clown world to expect a 28yr old man to not know what sex is, is fuckin insane 🤡🤡.

Whereas western culture does NOT put a huge emphasis on this nor does it pressure everyone in society to rigidly conform to it. Thus a celebrity there can literally do anything besides kill someone i think. And not be cancelled and still have an audience, fan base and pull public too. People in the west do not care about celebrities lives, hell people like seungri could be popular there and nobody will give a single fuck about his past, hell 90% of American rappers both male and female questionable history makes seungri look innocent. Yet nobody cancels them hell people even pushed for them to collab with BTS And celebrate it when it happens despite the " problem" with those western artists

• I don't know about you but I don't want to eat the saliva of random people when I buy food. But hey, you do you.

Tbf I didn't know she didn't buy the donuts, yeah that's pretty gross

She went to Tom Hanks house to "play charades" as a nugu and came out as a huge popstar. Now do the math

Now this is just sexist and wrong. Jeanette McCurdy never put any sexual implications with her playing charades with Tom Hanks family and by the time Sam And Cat were filming, Ariana already had a hugely successful album after spending years as of the biggest stars on Nick known for her vocals.

And most importantly, Tom Hanks is not one of the people known for those kinds of things. Don't speak on my man like that

BLACKPINKJESSICANEWJEANSSEJEONGTHE ROSETWICEYERIN BAEKYUKIKATHE VOLUNTEERS

ee868cb541261094eb3c49077579820d9d2684ef.gifv259551f29b1b419b0910ccd1ffe7a59b3ca03dbb.gifv9179a574e42e68a00c37635d5151fe4ebba30003.gifv9fbbfdae9fd592cc7858e29f534e290375563da9.gifv

Because Westerners just don’t care about the controversy, they only care about the music.

• She went to Tom Hanks house to "play charades" as a nugu and came out as a huge popstar. Now do the math

not sure what you are implying there but Ariana was Nickelodeaon actress from a popular show her being a popstar makes sense that how a lot of of young american artists came from disney, nickelodeaon etc

as for the other stuff I don't care much about Ariana if I'm honest but trusting tabloids like TMZ that has being criticized for breaking fake breaking news sometimes it's hilarious to me. Recently, the media cited el gordo y la flaca for the Camila and raw alejandro "afffair" previously with another woman who also debunked the rurmors

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I found this not sure how true it is but I wouldn't be surprised if some stuff aren't true

• No kpop idol would have a career after blasting their fans on social media like Doja Cat.

tbh Doja Cat is also getting bunch of hate online nowadays too

External Content www.youtube.com

• American fans are way more attached to music than the actual artist. They can overlook A LOT because they don’t want to feel guilty enjoying their fave songs. Plus America isn’t very collective in Korea it seems like the entire country will shun you but in America only certain groups will call an artist out while everyone else either doesn’t know or doesn’t care and the artists’ fans will remain making canceling ineffective.

• This thread contains 18 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!