Should LIGHTSUM have debuted in the first place? I feel like they'll get CLC'd

• Their debut didn't make much noise & Vivace was a clear attempt at snatching some of IZ*ONE's fans yet their sales stayed mostly stagnant

I won't be shocked if they follow the CLC route, very little hype when they first debuted & as a result are forced to switch to a darker/girl crush concept to get attention. International KPOP stans will hype them up when they switch but no one will buy their albums or get a hit & as a result they're pretty much doomed. I heard they have the same management too which is...not good.

It's a shame I really liked Vivace/You, jam & Sangah is really charismatic

• Thing is (G)i-dle also would be in CLC's position if they didn't have perfect timing for their debut. They were so lucky they debuted when they did. No real competition on the charts at that moment made them "monster rookies" so all eyes were on then as they climbed to stardom.

Lightsum debuted at a bad time and now people are moving on. So they NEED to be active again or else their fandom will be nothing.

• I also think CUBE clearly didn't learn from CLC because they're only 2 songs/single albums in & both have very different concept & sound. That's the worst way to build a fanbase unless you're someone like RV. They need to establish a strong identity & sound from the get go, but I don't think it's too late to choose one & stick with it.

And if CUBE is known for one thing it's that they have several idols who self-produce & write their own work. Lightsum (like CLC) don't really have that.

• well they should make comeback just after Miyeon solo release

this is what Yujeong wrote two days ago:

"Time seems to fly really fast. I want to see our Sumits really soon. Just wait a little bit."

also with how things were recently with so many rookie groups (Billlie, NMIXX, Purple Kiss) having showcase and promotions postponed for week/two weeks due to corona situation in SK it actually isn't that bad...

and a reminder that it's about half of year since Vivace

you know how now people say that IVE just debuted and already made comeback?

actually if I remember well the time between Lightsum debut and first comeback was even shorter than Ive's...

so it's obvious they needed some break to regenerate etc. :wink:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• While both songs were good, they didn’t come off very special. Vanilla seemed like a typical cute song, while Vivace was very IZ*One like

I feel like they’d pull off a more fun song style & image. All of them would fit that perfectly, and if it’s catchy enough I could see them being more followed

That & Cube really does need to manage them better. G-Idle is still huge and all so I guess there’s no “need” to push a new group, but they’re already here so they deserve proper treatment

• I like Lightsum but i think it was hopkinz who mentioned about mid tier groups being stuck in mid tierdom or even worse if their first or second comebacks don't do well

the problem for a group like lightsum is that they are effectively nugu notwithstanding they are from cube because even if they do release a great song nobody would have heard of them to give it a listen...

they need to do more to get their brand out there...how? that's beyond my pay grade

• Lightsum is already way more successful than CLC. CLC was incredibly talented but they were nugu. As badly as CLC performed (profitability-wise) they still got several comebacks.

All the Cube groups just had their comebacks so Lightsum has had to wait in line. Theirs will likely come right after Miyeon's solo.

• Thing is (G)i-dle also would be in CLC's position if they didn't have perfect timing for their debut. They were so lucky they debuted when they did. No real competition on the charts at that moment made them "monster rookies" so all eyes were on then as they climbed to stardom.

Lightsum debuted at a bad time and now people are moving on. So they NEED to be active again or else their fandom will be nothing.

what are you talking about...Idle, Loona, Izone, Fromis9, etc. all debuted in 2018. People were saying it's a bloodbath back then and the year of Monster Rookes. You coucan search thsi on Twitter. Funny how a few years later, you are saying there's "no real competition".

No eyes were on Idle. They sold 260 copies on debut day. They had ZERO debut hype. Latata was a surprise organic hit that no one expected.

People love to find reasons to invalidate Idle's success. Tomboy came back at the same time as Jay Park, IU, Red Velvet, StayC, Oh My Girl, Stray Kids, etc. and people are still saying "They only got PAK because it was an empty house"....like???

• they just don't have stand out member, and looks like having so much fillers, their song are good but they need unique concept to find their niche since they never will be top group anyways

juhyeon is a stand out member..... watch any of their predebut grainy looking dance vids on cube's channel. there's a solo, a duet with chowon, and a 3 person one with sangah and chowon. ya donut

• I like Lightsum but i think it was hopkinz who mentioned about mid tier groups being stuck in mid tierdom or even worse if their first or second comebacks don't do well

the problem for a group like lightsum is that they are effectively nugu notwithstanding they are from cube because even if they do release a great song nobody would have heard of them to give it a listen...

they need to do more to get their brand out there...how? that's beyond my pay grade

Dont call off a group too soon.

In the past there were GGs that successfully become popular over time e.g. AOA, Oh My girls. These groups flopped with first few releases but eventually they found success

u said it like GIDLE had it easy. In fact, cube didnt give Gidle any song until Soyeon wrote Latata herself. GIDLE literally earned their way back then. They had no hype as Cube was already very weak with no popular groups (b2st 4minutes all gone, except btob partially enlsited). There was no support from company stans. They earned their success from writing own song and being charismatic enough to capture attention. There are other new GGs debut around same time but none is able to breakthrough. It is not about timing as Gen3 like Twice and BP were super strong that time. In comparison, timing is much better for aespa and IVE when most gen 3 +ITZY are declining in korea charts.

• but this is cube we talking about. if u dont come out the gates swinging, u getting dungeoned pretty soon

Btob didnt hit big in the start too. They started getting traction after sungjae become popular and the grohp switch to ballad songs. Similarly Cube didnt give up for CLC and Pentagon in earlier days.

Problem starts when cube introduces new group. They often dump old ones for new one. Case with GILDE and CLC

• u said it like GIDLE had it easy. In fact, cube didnt give Gidle any song until Soyeon wrote Latata herself. GIDLE literally earned their way back then. They had no hype as Cube was already very weak with no popular groups (b2st 4minutes all gone, except btob partially enlsited). There was no support from company stans. They earned their success from writing own song and being charismatic enough to capture attention. There are other new GGs debut around same time but none is able to breakthrough. It is not about timing as Gen3 like Twice and BP were super strong that time. In comparison, timing is much better for aespa and IVE when most gen 3 +ITZY are declining in korea charts.

I'm not saying they had it easy. They totally earned the success they've achieved and they did overcome weajor obstacles like you mentioned. However mid tier groups have about a year to get a hit and if you don't you're probably not going to become a top group unless you go viral. The charts were settling down when (G)idle made their debut which was the perfect opportunity for them to make their strong debut. (G)idles success was 75% their hard work and 25% luck, but that 25% was crucial.

• what are you talking about...Idle, Loona, Izone, Fromis9, etc. all debuted in 2018. People were saying it's a bloodbath back then and the year of Monster Rookes. You coucan search thsi on Twitter. Funny how a few years later, you are saying there's "no real competition".

No eyes were on Idle. They sold 260 copies on debut day. They had ZERO debut hype. Latata was a surprise organic hit that no one expected.

People love to find reasons to invalidate Idle's success. Tomboy came back at the same time as Jay Park, IU, Red Velvet, StayC, Oh My Girl, Stray Kids, etc. and people are still saying "They only got PAK because it was an empty house"....like???

I'm not talking about that year, I'm talking about that very specific moment in time when they debuted. When they got their first win the other nominees were Uni.t and Dreamcatcher, two groups with very low sales and no charting in 2018. So if you have even a moderate hit you're going to win against that. Then people saw the group for their first win so fast, checked them out, and genuinely liked the song and the group, which caused GIDLE and Latata to get more and more successful and helped them become monster rookies. Like I said to another user, it was 75% hard work and 25% luck, but that 25% luck was crucial.

My point is that let's say Gugudan won with Wonderland, they would have been at least on WJSN's level and they'd still be alive today because Kpop fans are superficial. They like the shiny new things but if it takes too long to get popular, people move on, even if the quality of their music improves. GIDLE got popular fast so people stayed.

• Dont call off a group too soon.

In the past there were GGs that successfully become popular over time e.g. AOA, Oh My girls. These groups flopped with first few releases but eventually they found success

of course not but those situations are rare right? like sure anything is possible

i mean BG/Exid viralness and whatnot but that's the exception that proves the "rule" no? lol

that notwithstanding I still like lightsum

• I saw it before LS ever debuted

It was a stopgap measure to quiet down Gidle's hiatus because of Soojin

and now Gidle is back in town, Cube does not need LS

At least cube should release Choown without further ado, now, and let her do whatever she wants to.

• They don’t have any identity. At least when CLC were changing concepts their concept, they were killing with their GC concept. Their songs were catchy.

I don’t feel nothing with Lightsum. A shame because Sangah is way too talented. :waterr:

Sangah and Choown cannot fit together. Sangah auditions for companies with IZone members, and no one can mention IZOne before Choown.

So it is impossible for them to get along. One of them has to go.

taylor-swift-eras-tour-via-variance-films-.jpg

Edited once, last by WhyKnock ().

Gidle- Jeon Soyeon produces it and for all practical purposes also runs it

LS - don't know who is really running it

• of course not but those situations are rare right? like sure anything is possible

i mean BG/Exid viralness and whatnot but that's the exception that proves the "rule" no? lol

that notwithstanding I still like lightsum

BG, Exid and GFriend all occurred from unknown companies

Everyone knows Cube so they won't be going after any viral activity

• Then people saw the group for their first win so fast, checked them out, and genuinely liked the song and the group, which caused GIDLE and Latata to get more and more successful and helped them become monster rookies.

Only stans care about music show trophies, especially THE SHOW which is the least competitive of all. It's not because GIDLE won on The Show that they got noticed, it's the other way around.

• if they wanted to snatch Iz*One fans they should have worked the Chowon situation much better, instead, it turned Iz*One fans off.

That ended when the people at Cube put Sangah in, which ended the possibility of Choown becoming the leader

Sangah and Choown mix like oil and water. They cannot coexist in a group

I think before winter one of them will pack her bags.

• the thing is we know nothing about lightsum, they only have debut and a comeback but made literally only 4 songs, where as gidle have a mini album for their debut which shows the diversity of the group's discography

also lightsum has good vocal line with main vocal duo chowon and nayoung, with juhyeon and even probably yujeong showing lead vocal potential

their dance line is quite good too, juhyeon is literally known for her dance prowess

they arguably might have filler members but only because they have not shown their full potential yet, give them time lol

• what... i really thought sangah and chowon complement each other ??? why do people say they can't coexist together lol

also the leader is juhyeon and not even chowon or the entirety of 02 liners

Don't listen to the Whyknock user. That user knows nothing and routinely makes things up.

His reason for why Sangah and Chowon don't mix is absurd.

Also, Juhyeon was a trainee with Cube for 7 years. She was there two years longer than Chowon.

• As with my initial reaction before they debuted, there should've been lesser members than their current line up.

most people agree that lightsum have 5 core members

but honestly the 3 subs actually have massive potentials

i mean, is it not obvious that cube is pushing jian as the 2nd rapper besides sangah ?

also hina and huiyeon is inclined towards dance-focused route

plus hina is japanese = bigger market

hina is also regarded as the top 3 visuals along with sangah and nayoung

cube should hurry the fuck up with the comebacks because the hype is losing FAST

• This thread contains 42 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!