It’s ok for western fans to praise and reminisce western Legends, but in Kpop there seems to be an expiration date and you shouldn’t mention them anymore…

• Seriously I have enough of this… the constant mockery and exclusion when you still stan a Group or Artist from an older generation.

You can’t mention or appreciate them anywhere, without some people popping up trying to make you feel bad for still stanning them…

For some reason Kpop fans can’t reminisce the great times they had with these Groups, we should accept that they are no more and should let go… why should someone let go of a Group or Artist that gave them so many great memories, and probably helped them through hard times?

In the west, appreciating older Artists is a sign of you are appreciating and respecting Legends, but in Kpop there seems to be an expiration date. If your faves aren’t active or in their prime anymore, you still mentioning them is you not being able to let go from the past… like what and how is this a bad thing in the first place? ?(

Let people stan whoever no matter how old or ancient. Let them praise, appreciate or simply reminisce their prime how often they want… if you can’t do anything with it, ignore it. Simple as that, how can anyone be triggered by something like this?!

It seriously won’t break your neck to acknowledge that a lot of these older Groups deserve praise and appreciation for what they have achieved… it won’t take away your 3/4 Gen fave’s achievements, nor does it say your 3/4 Gen faves are bad etc, if the older Gen gets appreciation too.

This is not a response to that unnecessary Anon… this is happening here all the time and not just to one specific Group, but the whole 2. Gen, like literally 2. Gen stans can’t stan their faves in peace almost like we being pathetic for still doing so… :pepe-tea:

Edited 2 times, last by SandyBee3 ().

• SandyBee3

Changed the title of the thread from “It’s ok for western fans still praise and reminisce western Legends, but in Kpop there is an expiration date and you shouldn’t mention them anymore…” to “It’s ok for western fans to praise and reminisce western Legends, but in Kpop there seems to be an expiration date and you shouldn’t mention them anymore…”.
  • Where are the Gen 1 stans? Personally by now I know a lot about gen 2 because there’s a lot of good info on gen 2 idols. But gen 1?

What have gen 2 done to gen 1???

Nothing much tbh… 1. Gen wasn’t really part of the Hallyuwave so there wasn’t much talk about them.

But I did saw a few Kpop fans praising 1.Gen Groups and I let them be, I didn’t grew up with them so I let them appreciate in peace. But it was interesting to know who came before my faves and how Kpop was created and I respect them for that.

• Idk if this is a response thread but i think you're being overdramatic here. There are tons of people mentioning and praising their favs without any drama. As for the trolling and gatekeeping, it comes from both sides. You can't just blame one side here.

• Nothing much tbh… 1. Gen wasn’t really part of the Hallyuwave so there wasn’t much talk about them.

But I did saw a few Kpop fans praising 1.Gen Groups and I let them be, I didn’t grew up with them so I let them appreciate in peace. But it was interesting to know who came before my faves and how Kpop was created and I respect them for that.

I wish there’s some 1st gen stans who would share the highlights of the acts. It would be interesting to see how kpop has grown. People only shared JYP stuffs.. where’s YG’s and Teddy’s idol days? They are 1st gen, right?

• Well you have Lee Hyori and Uhm Junghwa

and this happened just year ago

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

and now Hyori will be MC on MAMA

so maybe it's mostly because people from 1st gen rarely appear in Korean TV?

I've seen more of them in that Youtube Originals K-POP documentary than in recent variety shows etc.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• What have gen 2 done to gen 1???

I don't think gen 2 have done anything to gen 1, but a lot of kpop fans (especially ifans from West/Asia) joined kpop during 2nd gen idols so when you look on twitter , or here in akp you will rarely see 1st gen fans but I don't this is op point it's not about what gen did to other gen it's more about people looking down on older gen regardless of their active year

• It seriously won’t break your neck to acknowledge that a lot of these older Groups deserve praise and appreciation for what they have achieved… it won’t take away your 3/4 Gen fave’s achievements, nor does it say your 3/4 Gen faves are bad etc, if the older Gen gets appreciation too.

Idk why it's hard for them to acknowledge older gen and how they shaped they helped kpop industry they don't just make you feel bad for staning them but also look down on their achievement like comparing 2nd gen and 3rd/4th gen achievement and popularity. I said this before you can't compare these two gen because it's different completely different.

• Idk why it's hard for them to acknowledge older gen and how they shaped they helped kpop industry they don't just make you feel bad for staning them but also look down on their achievement like comparing 2nd gen and 3rd/4th gen achievement and popularity. I said this before you can't compare these two gen because it's different completely different.

Exactly… comparing different generations in a 1:1 equation won’t make any sense, so you have to look at the conditions of each of their Gen to compare and once you do so you realize damn these people were killing it in their generation.

But I only see it to this extent in Kpop, in the western music industry or even in completely other fields, nobody has a problem with praising and appreciation people from the older generation because they shaped what came after them.

• i think this come from the ethernal war of: Your gen( new one) wouldn´t exist/be great without my gen (old one) vs your Gen wasn´t that great, my gen is bigger now.

and both featuring in my Gen paved the way

did blackpink release a new album today?'s tweet - "#LALISA ACAB, aquí solo  respetamos a la POLISA " - TrendsmapID BI****S

OT4 BLINKS OR JAIL

• Where are the Gen 1 stans? Personally by now I know a lot about gen 2 because there’s a lot of good info on gen 2 idols. But gen 1?

What have gen 2 done to gen 1???

Not everybody had internet back in the days. Smartphones didnt exist

CDs were probably the easiest way to consume their music back in the day

Records of their contents were almost lost or without translations.

Fe8TZRpaMAIFav2?format=jpg&name=large

ThinkAbouTzu, Tuwuice:pleading::pleading::pleading:

• Where and why would people make you feel bad for still liking older artists? Like what’s their argument?

Very common arguments

“ why are 2. Gen fans bringing up their faves, move on nobody cares about them “

Or “ 2. Gen Groups aren’t relevant anymore, stop living in the past”

Or “ your faves past their prime, let it go”

Or “ why 2. Gen stans still bragging with their faves, they irrelevant”

And these arguments are often dropped when there is a Thread asking who the best Group is, or most successful Group is, or even straight up comparison Threads ( that are unnecessary)…or even worse in Appreciation Threads… if you bring up a 2. Gen group you can expect a bunch of people making fun about you (2. Gen stan ) and discrediting them because “ uh they past their prime “… there is a whole mockery fest going on.

• Those are just a few examples I can give you. I don't know how they come to such conclusions, but maybe those are their own intentions when making such threads and so they're just projecting themselves onto others.

Thank You.

People feeling triggered about something like this say a lot about themself.

Some can come to the wildest conclusion to something someone said or did and your just dumbstruck because you think to yourself “ how the hell did they came to this conclusion ?”

• I wish there’s some 1st gen stans who would share the highlights of the acts. It would be interesting to see how kpop has grown. People only shared JYP stuffs.. where’s YG’s and Teddy’s idol days? They are 1st gen, right?

Unfortunately there isn’t nearly as much material of the first Gen compared to the others. Most of the translated Kpop stuff started in the second Gen. But there are some great Youtubers who made Kpop History videos. There was also a user in the old Forum creating Threads for 1. Gen Groups.

External Content youtu.be

• Also, we have Mariah Carey sunbaenim that transcends all generations, imagine being relevant in every generation and having 2 months of the year dedicated to celebrating you

:pepe-toast:

• I wish there’s some 1st gen stans who would share the highlights of the acts. It would be interesting to see how kpop has grown. People only shared JYP stuffs.. where’s YG’s and Teddy’s idol days? They are 1st gen, right?

I wasn't a full 1st-gen fan... I joined Kpop fandom when the 1st-gen was coming to a close and headed towards solo careers (roughly where the 3rd Gen is now, as a matter of fact). But there were still some great moments I can share.

• Fly to the Sky were the R&B kings from SM Entertainment. A duo comprised of Hwanhee (deep voice, masculine appeal) and Brian (high voice, sensitive slightly diva-like behaviour like Heechul was). One of my favourite songs of theirs was Sea of Love:

In terms of variety shows, Hwanhee was also on We Got Married (a very popular variety show which matched up celebrities to act like a married couple for a period of time) with Hwayobi (a solo R&B songstress) and they produced some very funny interactions but also beautiful unscripted moments of music like this one:

• Then there was the hilarious "love triangle" scandal between Kim Jong Kook (solo singer / Turbo), Yoon Eun Hye (of 1st-gen girl group Baby V.O.X.) and Eric (of 1st-gen boy group Shinhwa), on the legendary variety show X-Man, where they had to answer "Of course" to any questions their opponents asked in order to win the game.

Yoo Jae Suk always teases Kim Jong Kook about Yoon Eun Hye, even to this day, nearly 20 years later.
    • If you want to talk about "paving the way" and the growth of kpop, then maybe we should mention the first group to ever get the title "Nation's Group", g.o.d., and how they paved the way for idols to get involved in variety series. Back then, idols were mainly an offshoot of musicians, so variety wasn't a big part of their careers or promotional efforts. But then came g.o.d's Babysitting Diaries, the first show of its' kind, which had the g.o.d. members learn how to take care of a baby (changing diapers and all). It got such rave reviews and popularity that it was literally the most popular show in its' timeslot and other shows had to change timeslots to avoid clashing with it. And it was just about five young men learning (through trial and error) how to take care of a baby. That was the start of what would eventually lead to the limited series variety shows that idols starred in, including things like SNSD's Hello Baby, KARA's and Wonder's Girls' Bakeries, more modern shows like Run BTS, Time to TWICE, Going Seventeen, and more.

As for their songs, I still think the g.o.d. special episode of Immortal Songs is probably one of the best ways for newer fans to understand just how much of an impact g.o.d.'s songs had on the general public at the time, and why they were considered the "Nation's Group". Their songs had an appeal that stretched far beyond the typical teens and tweens that their contemporaries appealed to:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!