Why is Purple Kiss flopping so bad?

• I am listening to their new song memeM that came out a week ago, it's actually pretty good. A standard girl crush song. But it's charting at 700-ish on Melon.

They are from Mamammo's company, so not totally a nugu company. So why the cold reception?

• a ) people dont find their faces pretty enough to stan just for that ( huge part in kpop )

b ) no mediaplay at all ( most of it is paid whether stans like to believe it or not )

c ) kpop fans only like consuming content with high production budget ( which they like to call "quality" content )

classism is huge in kpop

even more important than lookism

u r m o m g a y

1e1282e4806e9f6f1080ccc53055ea21c0a98974.gifv6cc52730ebd88d19753cac6a9c1436f129e99705.gifv

• there is nothing about them that sets them apart from any other run of the mill, nugu gg. i think zombie was a far better song than memeM and had so much potential, but rbw does not know how to promote them. mamamoo got popular because they were able to show their vocal talent and jazzy, non-idol like style when they were performing a lot on immortal song back in the day. purple kiss on the other had is always on the cusp of current idol trends and its just not enough in today's climate.

who's your favorite artist?

• Tell that to RBW themself ...

Everyone else besides MAMAMOO "flops" or has "flopped" example one of the companie's first groups Vromance was also a "flop". They also fail hard on ONEWE so that Yonghoon once even said that if nothing will change with the band's popularity he might leaves

RBW is also curently messing with their own trainees, since one of them is like missing in the form of that this dude isn't posting on social media anymore and RBW didn't said anything about this guy ...

so well ...

A.C.E | ATEEZ | DRIPPIN| MCND | NU'EST | ONF | SF9 | Stray Kids | TFN

• I'm guilty of this. Though, it's more in terms of the song rather than the MV. If the production of the song sounds cheap, I'm out.

PGDPGT PRETTY GIRLS DOING PRETTY GIRL THINGS

417aa1c7e1372f9ae29d8e2f659d3f12cf0db4d9.gifv0d1493f18550d15d02f4c2bba44c12bdc01f518d.gifv

• maybe guest appearances in audience of

MNet shows like

'My boyfriend is better than yours'

and

'Queendom 2'

will at least help them a bit

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I think everyone is used to everything going very fast with the recent successes of certain groups. Unfortunately for some groups it will take much longer. Many people forget it but groups like BTS or Mamamoo waited 2 years before winning a music show.

Purple Kiss are currently lucky to come from a company that has money, there are other bands in much worse situations. They will have to wait for their opportunity to go viral and seize it, unfortunately this is the only thing possible for these groups.

i didn't think memem was particularly good.

If success was related to musical quality, we would know about this. The mere existence of "Rollin'" proves it.

• I think they had a good chance to blow up in 2021, but in 2022 oversaturation is gonna overshadow them. I feel bad, because they are so talented.

• I think Purple Kiss' case once again highlights the privilege of coming from a big 3 company and having striking visuals. Purple Kiss could deliver the best music out there, because they have members who look whatever, people wouldn't be interested.

See the difference of treatment with LESSOFARIN which gets hyped to the moon for the mere reason that the girls are pretty.

• I think Purple Kiss' case once again highlights the privilege of coming from a big 3 company and having striking visuals. Purple Kiss could deliver the best music out there, because they have members who look whatever, people wouldn't be interested.

See the difference of treatment with LESSOFARIN which gets hyped to the moon for the mere reason that the girls are pretty.

why are you guys acting like purple kiss is ugly??? let me go google them lmao i don't remember thinking any of the members were gremlins

ɪ

cf2178e469192fe5d3974a86c101545f41e74afb.gifv

• why are you guys acting like purple kiss is ugly??? let me go google them lmao i don't remember thinking any of the members were gremlins

There's a difference between ugly and model looks. I didn't say Purple Kiss were ugly. But on a visual standpoint, I think only Dosie and Goeun stand out. Yuki is fine but not top tier. Ireh and Jieun are kinda average. And Swan is too unconventional.

• There's a difference between ugly and model looks. I didn't say Purple Kiss were ugly. But on a visual standpoint, I think only Dosie and Goeun stand out. Yuki is fine but not top tier. Ireh and Jieun are kinda average. And Swan is too unconventional.

okay yeah i see what you mean :oops: they are cute though, definitely not gremlins by any means

ɪ

cf2178e469192fe5d3974a86c101545f41e74afb.gifv

• With the wave of new girl groups debuting it’s only a matter of time before people forget about them. In my opinion their sound is all over the place. I love their concept but they had the perfect recipe with Ponzona and then did nothing with it afterwards.

They went from Ponzona to Zombie to MemeM, a much polarizing song :eyes:

And with 4th gen being more about visuals they fall behind in that category as well. (Sadly)

tumblr_nzies3E9yh1uf1itwo1_500.gif

LORD & SAVIOR PARK JIHYO | ITZY | YUKIKA | RUANN | | TWICE | BRAVE GIRLS | APRIL | FROMIS_9 | TOMMY FEBRUARY6

• While you're here, please stream :pepelove1:

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Do RBW promote them? I said this mainly cause mamamoo is the only reason I know RBW and this group. I mean from what I see they have good music so what could be the reason they aren't bigger?

Also ibby loves me :pepe-flirt:

To give you a real answer

1. Yes PK and their other band ONEUS have a promotion. It could be better for sure, but they really promote it the problem comes mainly from the lack of viral moment, and bad timing of comeback.

2. Purple Kiss and ONEUS have more promotion than Mamamoo by far. It's even part of the company's strategy and they said so publicly. For example to give you an example the youtube videos of Purple Kiss and ONEUS have English subtitles faster than the videos of Mamamoo.

3. RBW has never built its reputation on Mamamoo and on the contrary they hate to be called Mamamoo's company they even said it publicly, few people know it but this company is not specialized in kpop, they have groups but are actually specialized in the composition of music for films and drama.

• I feel like they would've done better if their b-side "Pretty Psycho" was title track :melon_think:

They even teased it a little bit in their "Hide & Seek" album

I was about to say this. I like MemeM but Pretty Psycho would have been better as a title track. MemeM wasn’t the best choice for title, it not nearly as unique as Zombie or Ponzona was.

Also their sales are growing? They not flopping, they just not growing as quickly as some other groups but with RBW’s promotion that’s not surprising.

X/

I’m a freaky perky….

:pepemusic:

External Content twitter.com

• in my opinion, a factor is member selection. It looks as if company just debut all better skilled trainees at hand thus, members look diverse and not give a certain vibe.

Most of the time, a bigger agency will first set the concept that fits main trainees it wants to debut and pick other members according to the concept thus, a coherent overall look. Some members may still be pretty rough in term of skill but chosen due to the concept.

RBW was a bigger agency and capable of following such standard. Still, it rather chose members based solely on skill and not the concept. This contributes to the obscure character of the group as the whole.

• My theory is that if you are not from the Big 4/Kakao/CJ nowadays you have to either make a strong identity of your sound first (to be recognizable) or promote particular talents or personalities from the members themselves. I personally don't understand why some mid-tier companies change the sound of their groups so early on their career... if you are not a established name yet, changing your sound or your approach makes you forgettable on a oversaturated industry.

Purple Kiss was doing well imo, sure they are from "Mamamoo's company" but RBW is not that big of a name yet let's by real, they may have money but Cube or Starship are more recognizable, and PK last year had bigger momentum than say Lightsum which it kinda is their competition so I think they were doing good.

I also think Zombie was a cool song and concept that made them stand out, so imo would be more intelligent to push that kind of sound for them.

Said that, they are rookies and debuted just a year ago, they have room to grow yet and I wouldn't say they are flopping at all looking at their sales, but this is just my two cents about what I would do.

• I don't think it's necessarily a "song bad issue". But that's the way it is in kpop, it can take awhile for a group to find their breakout point.

💣🎇 P1Harmony 5th Mini Album 'HARMONY : SET IN' OUT NOW!!!💥💣
    b675bae17756d66b1c583cc777acfaac3606736b.gifv7e6700291c446212998eba09549f464a739c91a3.gifv4cd7cc8dafce05255d7d96dfae0cd85dc47c4e21.gifv

P1harmony|SHINee|ITZY|ONF|Monsta X|Purple Kiss|KARD|ONEWE|Pentagon|Billlie|NCT Dream|Ghost9|GOT7

• This thread contains one more post that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!