SM's solo artists aren't that interesting to me

• Compared to company groups. I love SM groups, I've always listened to them since I started consuming K-pop, but SM solo artists can't get my attention as much as groups do. As an example I can mention BLACKPINK, I love both BLACKPINK's solo works, there are many that I listened to a lot, but compared to Red Velvet's solo works (I'm a reveluv) I didn't like it that much. So I feel a little frustrated that I haven't been able to consume SM artists' solo works in the same way that I consume groups.

Remembering that this is just a personal opinion and not an absolute truth

• I feel like it's probably because most of them choose to do music that is pretty different from their group's sound whereas Jennie and Rose for example are still in the same wheelhouse as the Blackpink sound.

I'm personally not a fan of ballads or slower music so while I appreciate the things D.O, Suho, Yesung, Kyuhyun, and Ryeowook are doing in their solo careers and think they sound amazing on their own... I'm just not gonna pick their solo work as my go-to background music while I do something. I much prefer the performance based work that Baekhyun, Kai, and Taemin put out.

• I feel like it's probably because most of them choose to do music that is pretty different from their group's sound whereas Jennie and Rose for example are still in the same wheelhouse as the Blackpink sound.

I'm personally not a fan of ballads or slower music so while I appreciate the things D.O, Suho, Yesung, Kyuhyun, and Ryeowook are doing in their solo careers and think they sound amazing on their own... I'm just not gonna pick their solo work as my go-to background music while I do something. I much prefer the performance based work that Baekhyun, Kai, and Taemin put out.

it could be, I'm not personally a fan of ballads, but I love Rosé's Gone, for example

• I mean Lee Taemin is the standards of solos

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I mean, other than Wendy's album, OSTs and the remake album from Joy, what other RV solos have been released? We still haven't seen Seulgi, Irene, Joy and Yeri full potential as solo artists

ofc if we compare a mainly ballad album from Wendy to Rose and Jennie big releases it seems like a big difference but let's wait until all of them have solos to make an appropiate comparison

imo, taeyeon and luna solos >>> anything bom, cl or minzy released, but then again, I didn't really paid attention to the rest of snsd/fx solos so it's a tie between both companies

Actually I think the best company when it comes to female soloists music is JYP. I really liked all of Suzy, Fei, Sunmi and Baek Ah Yeon releases, even if it didn't really last because they left the company

• Exo’s solo work is some of the greatest kpop music released this year

Literally unbiased there is no better song this year than Cry For Love.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

On the other hand I found BP’s solo work no different or inspired compared to their group works and very underwhelming/forgettable. Tho ofc Solo was very catchy but also didn’t really age well.

Maybe it really is a preference thing!

I refuse to believe there are ppl who don’t like cry for love

• But Baekhyun is the King of Kpop :pepecute:

But yeah it could be because their solo work is totally different from their group work, but that's why I tend to like their solos(especially the EXO solos) so much. But I guess it's different strokes for different folks.

• i guess it is a preference thing

But imo YG has been shaping their artist as soloist despite in the group. On one hand it created many akgae but it also helped in a way that the idol is seem separable from the group. Good examples are BP, Winner and Big Bang. CL too. Of course there are other examples in other companies, esepcially Sunmi, Taeyeon

For other companies, i often see the problem of the idol not separable from the group they belong to. For example, YooA's solo didnt really make her standout as a soloist from OMG. And this is often the reason i think these solo fail to make an impact

• but

and

• the last song I liked from him was Want

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!