Big 3 privelege is not even as bad as male privelege in kpop.

• what does this even mean...? every single big 3 gg is way bigger than all bgs except the top like what, 5? and thats only in terms of sales.

Maybe OP is talking about sexism and chauvinism in Korean culture in general, not a specific BG vs GG comparison. This general societal bias leads to male artists being valued more.

For example, IU is clearly the most successful and most popular act in Korean music today, but no one calls her "Nation's Pride" like they do for BTS. She never gets mentioned by the President or gets picked to go to the UN or whatever.

• Yikes. Let’s not use real world problems in order to incite fanwars or push a kpop agenda.

Of course male privilege is worse, it effects more than just kpop and is deep rooted in different societies and cultures because of sexism and misogyny. Big 3 privilege only impacts the world of kpop and only kpop fans care about this.

• Maybe OP is talking about sexism and chauvinism in Korean culture in general, not a specific BG vs GG comparison. This general societal bias leads to male artists being valued more.

For example, IU is clearly the most successful and most popular act in Korean music today, but no one calls her "Nation's Pride" like they do for BTS. She never gets mentioned by the President or gets picked to go to the UN or whatever.

She is the most popular act in Korea when it comes to digitals, but counting physical sales gives BTS a lead since they are much closer to her digitals than she is to their physicals. Also, the other things are reserved for BTS because they are the most successful act to ever come out of Korea globally. If IU or Blackpink or any other female act had the same global success as BTS, I'm sure the president would give them the same treatment.

• Maybe OP is talking about sexism and chauvinism in Korean culture in general, not a specific BG vs GG comparison. This general societal bias leads to male artists being valued more.

OMG you really connected the dots, didn't you?

I mean it's definitely because BTS are male that are mentioned. The fact that they have helped to promote the Korean culture worldwide has nothing to do with it. That's not as big as the fact that they are men. Duh!

Are you doing the “let’s invalidate bts’ success” challenge?

• OMG you really connected the dots, didn't you?

I mean it's definitely because BTS are male that are mentioned. The fact that they have helped to promote the Korean culture worldwide has nothing to do with it. That's not as big as the fact that they are men. Duh!

I think it could be a bit more subtle than that. I've said this before and i'll say it again, Korea is a first world economy built upon a third world culture.

Korea, even now, still has a lot of people wanting sons instead of daughters (i think it's changing with the young adults these days, but the problem is most young adults arent even having kids). The idea that the family lineage goes on through the sons' family line is still prevalent (the daughters, once married, are considered part of the husband's family line).

It's just a general societal attitude unfortunately, Korea didnt really have the supercharged waves of feminism that swept through the West over the past 50 years. And it's clear by the recent protests by Korean women against Korean men that many of them are sick and tired of the explicit displays of chauvinism and tacit acceptance of sex discrimination.

• She is the most popular act in Korea when it comes to digitals, but counting physical sales gives BTS a lead since they are much closer to her digitals than she is to their physicals. Also, the other things are reserved for BTS because they are the most successful act to ever come out of Korea globally. If IU or Blackpink or any other female act had the same global success as BTS, I'm sure the president would give them the same treatment.

That's the limitation of non dominant cultures.

They will have to promote based on what is popular with the dominant outsiders, than what is appreciated in house.

Not that BTS is not impressive domestically, but that appreciation includes a factor due to their popularity with outsiders.

Happens with most cultural things, food as well. Two dishes A and B might be equally popular in a society, but if one of them B is appreciated by dominant foreigners like the West, even if by itself it is not popular as A, still because of the reflected boost it will become popular at home.

It is conforming to outsider standards.

But I think that might have happened even if BTS weren't male.

Point of BigHit played its cards right and promoted BTS far better than others to the West, they had the capacity and of course the most unpredictable thing 'luck'.

Politicians are like business, will ride anything for popularity.

I don't think this has as much male-female dynamic.

• I think it could be a bit more subtle than that. I've said this before and i'll say it again, Korea is a first world economy built upon a third world culture.

Korea, even now, still has a lot of people wanting sons instead of daughters (i think it's changing with the young adults these days, but the problem is most young adults arent even having kids). The idea that the family lineage goes on through the sons' family line is still prevalent (the daughters, once married, are considered part of the husband's family line).

It's just a general societal attitude unfortunately, Korea didnt really have the supercharged waves of feminism that swept through the West over the past 50 years. And it's clear by the recent protests by Korean women against Korean men that many of them are sick and tired of the explicit displays of chauvinism and tacit acceptance of sex discrimination.

I mean you're not wrong but do u really think u can have such a heavy discussion with... Certain Kpop stans?

• Funny thing two men , who put down female fans all the time, talking about misogyny on first page. Can someone revive old forum, where mr certain someone made sexist thread over and over.?!?

Irony died a death! Wait respect is reserved for female artist only here, not non celeb women!

Ot - big 3 privilege is bigger than any male privilege . A gg debuting from big 3, will always have connections, cf deals, best marketing on platter like any male group from big 3.

Non big 3 male groups don't have it. So ur point is dead

BTS is bringing 56 trillion won economic effect in korea over ten years. Creating thousands of jobs.

BTS has became symbol of soft power and representative face of korea all over the world

BTS are clearly most successful artist in korean music currently and of all time. BTS have both domestic physicals and digitals. Olympic athletes are asking their songs. How much u gonna deny truth?

If other artist do the same, they will get it too regardless of gender. Here is catch for you. Every country has their own version of IU. If she cross over , and do same things, she will get invite to UN too. Simple

They are called nation's pride because they are doing it worldwide. A korean digital isn't going to effect economy of the country. Get over it.. stay salty

• I think it could be a bit more subtle than that. I've said this before and i'll say it again, Korea is a first world economy built upon a third world culture.

A Minister of country talking about wanting BTS to come here to have a concert a couple of years ago, had nothing to do with them being males or had nothing to do with Korean patriarchal society but actually having a global reach. IU wasn't mentioned, not because she is woman but because outside Korea or some Asian countries, she doesn't have that reach and impact herself.

Everyone with an ounce of brain knows that when BTS are called the nation's pride, that happens because they have managed to promote the Korean culture worldwide.

Guess who else gets this treatment, and even bigger, than them. Kim Yuna, a female athlete.

So, although it's true that the Korean society is pretty much patriarchal and women suffer from it there, your example, once again, made no sense. And it was because of your non subtle dislike towards bts and your desire to forget the fans that you said that.

Korean women face a lot of real problems there, bigger than the difference between being called the nation's sister, visual or pride. It's weird to see those issues being used because of your pettiness.

I have told you that it entertains me seeing you often embarrass yourself in the process but maybe you could consider toning it down.

• The Big3 privilege exist and the man privilege too. Which one is more predominant ? Good question. Big3 girl groups start their career in a better condition than almost all the others girl groups and some boy groups in particular those who come from a nugu company.

On the other hand, Female Big3 idols are submitted to some restrictions due to their gender that every female idol face in their career and since their exposure is bigger, they are sometimes receiving a lot of unecessary blacklash.

Inside Big3 companies the social hierarchy is often respected meaning that the female idols are not the priority nor the ones that the label wants to invest for the long term.

8zf-yB.gif   

• Someone mentioned that GG’s especially from the Big3 get successful faster… yes chart wise. That’s about it. That’s the only advantage they have. These companies have shown more than once that they would prefer a BG to be the face of their company. GG’s expire date is usually 7 years and they try to milk them as much as possible within those 7 years. With BG’s it’s obvious they are working towards a long lasting career.

GG’s get more restricted in their input, more controlled. They ain’t taken as serious as the boys.

Even the female Idols who write ain’t giving the same praise. From Top 80 Idols listed on KOMCA only 8 of them are females….

The Fans ain’t as dedicated as the BG fans, so while they get PAK’s their male counterparts are selling albums and tours… which brings in way more money. The BG members are usually more close to the CEO’s of their companies.

Males get more industry support. People believe in them more. So for the long, male privilege at least gives you are more stable career than fast paced fame. That’s why it’s so important for individual members within a Group to make a name for themself. Only like this they can have somewhat of a career after the 7 years are up. The only advantage GG’s have being from the Big3 is that they ain’t ending up completely jobless after their peak… at least a few of the members.

Since sexism is still pretty strong in Korea… this shouldn’t even be debatable. lol

I think you can see this better if you stan both a male and female Artist .

• There are some gender related differences like males have to join the army. But i guess the biggest factor ist money.

BGs make much more money because their fans a willing to spend that much, while GG Fans arent that dedicated.

So its naturally that the industry tends to give more support to males because they can expect a higher return of investment. After all Kpop is business and not a charity.

If we want to change that. The fans of the boy groups have to give more love and money to GGs or less support to the BGs.

Its also the fans who still support aging BGs while stopping to support older GGs.

So i guess its mostly just supply and demand and not some guys hating girls.

• That’s why I think the biggest advantage of male privilege is the fandom part…. Tbh companies only do what they think will earn them money in return… and that guarantee is on the consumers behavior. That’s why even if they get a big GG, they more likely see it as a short time thing and therefore not giving more effort.

• That’s why I think the biggest advantage of male privilege is the fandom part…. Tbh companies only do what they think will earn them money in return… and that guarantee is on the consumers behavior. That’s why even if they get a big GG, they more likely see it as a short time thing and therefore not giving more effort.

Yes. it is like a never ending cycle. The fans give more money to BGs. Companies give more support to BGs. Repeat again and again.

It is up to us, the people and fans not the industry to change that. After all half of the fans are females. But i guess that wont happen any time soon.

• Yes. it is like a never ending cycle. The fans give more money to BGs. Companies give more support to BGs. Repeat again and again.

It is up to us, the people and fans not the industry to change that. After all half of the fans are females. But i guess that wont happen any time soon.

The industry could still show more support towards women in order to change the public’s prejudice that women ain’t as good as men… but if they will also get more support from the fans is another question and something they (the industry) indeed can’t do much about.

• This thread contains 13 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!