Big 3 privelege is not even as bad as male privelege in kpop.

• what does this even mean...? every single big 3 gg is way bigger than all bgs except the top like what, 5? and thats only in terms of sales.

Maybe OP is talking about sexism and chauvinism in Korean culture in general, not a specific BG vs GG comparison. This general societal bias leads to male artists being valued more.

For example, IU is clearly the most successful and most popular act in Korean music today, but no one calls her "Nation's Pride" like they do for BTS. She never gets mentioned by the President or gets picked to go to the UN or whatever.

• Yikes. Let’s not use real world problems in order to incite fanwars or push a kpop agenda.

Of course male privilege is worse, it effects more than just kpop and is deep rooted in different societies and cultures because of sexism and misogyny. Big 3 privilege only impacts the world of kpop and only kpop fans care about this.

• Maybe OP is talking about sexism and chauvinism in Korean culture in general, not a specific BG vs GG comparison. This general societal bias leads to male artists being valued more.

For example, IU is clearly the most successful and most popular act in Korean music today, but no one calls her "Nation's Pride" like they do for BTS. She never gets mentioned by the President or gets picked to go to the UN or whatever.

She is the most popular act in Korea when it comes to digitals, but counting physical sales gives BTS a lead since they are much closer to her digitals than she is to their physicals. Also, the other things are reserved for BTS because they are the most successful act to ever come out of Korea globally. If IU or Blackpink or any other female act had the same global success as BTS, I'm sure the president would give them the same treatment.

• Maybe OP is talking about sexism and chauvinism in Korean culture in general, not a specific BG vs GG comparison. This general societal bias leads to male artists being valued more.

OMG you really connected the dots, didn't you?

I mean it's definitely because BTS are male that are mentioned. The fact that they have helped to promote the Korean culture worldwide has nothing to do with it. That's not as big as the fact that they are men. Duh!

Are you doing the “let’s invalidate bts’ success” challenge?

• OMG you really connected the dots, didn't you?

I mean it's definitely because BTS are male that are mentioned. The fact that they have helped to promote the Korean culture worldwide has nothing to do with it. That's not as big as the fact that they are men. Duh!

I think it could be a bit more subtle than that. I've said this before and i'll say it again, Korea is a first world economy built upon a third world culture.

Korea, even now, still has a lot of people wanting sons instead of daughters (i think it's changing with the young adults these days, but the problem is most young adults arent even having kids). The idea that the family lineage goes on through the sons' family line is still prevalent (the daughters, once married, are considered part of the husband's family line).

It's just a general societal attitude unfortunately, Korea didnt really have the supercharged waves of feminism that swept through the West over the past 50 years. And it's clear by the recent protests by Korean women against Korean men that many of them are sick and tired of the explicit displays of chauvinism and tacit acceptance of sex discrimination.

• She is the most popular act in Korea when it comes to digitals, but counting physical sales gives BTS a lead since they are much closer to her digitals than she is to their physicals. Also, the other things are reserved for BTS because they are the most successful act to ever come out of Korea globally. If IU or Blackpink or any other female act had the same global success as BTS, I'm sure the president would give them the same treatment.

That's the limitation of non dominant cultures.

They will have to promote based on what is popular with the dominant outsiders, than what is appreciated in house.

Not that BTS is not impressive domestically, but that appreciation includes a factor due to their popularity with outsiders.

Happens with most cultural things, food as well. Two dishes A and B might be equally popular in a society, but if one of them B is appreciated by dominant foreigners like the West, even if by itself it is not popular as A, still because of the reflected boost it will become popular at home.

It is conforming to outsider standards.

But I think that might have happened even if BTS weren't male.

Point of BigHit played its cards right and promoted BTS far better than others to the West, they had the capacity and of course the most unpredictable thing 'luck'.

Politicians are like business, will ride anything for popularity.

I don't think this has as much male-female dynamic.

• I think it could be a bit more subtle than that. I've said this before and i'll say it again, Korea is a first world economy built upon a third world culture.

Korea, even now, still has a lot of people wanting sons instead of daughters (i think it's changing with the young adults these days, but the problem is most young adults arent even having kids). The idea that the family lineage goes on through the sons' family line is still prevalent (the daughters, once married, are considered part of the husband's family line).

It's just a general societal attitude unfortunately, Korea didnt really have the supercharged waves of feminism that swept through the West over the past 50 years. And it's clear by the recent protests by Korean women against Korean men that many of them are sick and tired of the explicit displays of chauvinism and tacit acceptance of sex discrimination.

I mean you're not wrong but do u really think u can have such a heavy discussion with... Certain Kpop stans?

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!