Gidle is the most underestimated girl group in kpop

• Fans like the underdog narrative for their own favorite groups but looking at it from a realistic perspective, gidle is one of the few if not the best example of a true rise from the bottom and still maintaining their success for a girl group. They also continue to be underestimated or have flop wishes showered on them almost every comeback. Hwaa was probably the only exception. Debuting from a company that couldn't afford a debut song for them, getting into several controversies in Korea and internationally, losing a member, and another on hiatus, they just kept getting stronger.

• Fans like the underdog narrative for their own favorite groups but looking at it from a realistic perspective, gidle is one of the few if not the best example of a true rise from the bottom and still maintaining their success for a girl group. They also continue to be underestimated or have flop wishes showered on them almost every comeback. Hwaa was probably the only exception. Debuting from a company that couldn't afford a debut song for them, getting into several controversies in Korea and internationally, losing a member, and another on hiatus, they just kept getting stronger.

so delulu statement

1. Gidle takes #1 spots with every cb, how could they be underestimated?
    2. Flop wishes were ignited due to poor skill qualities of the group. Objectively, they are weakest dancers among 4th gen, and no one group has idols like Shuhua. Soyeon's composing skill also is questionable, it's like her part-time job.
    3. CUBE is not nugu company, they had Hyuna #1 female soloist in the past, Beast, Apink, BTOB, Pentagon, all of them topped the charts. So they invested plenty of money in debut, it was not "5 dollars and a dream". Soyeon's song LATATA was chosen because it's simply sounds better, not because CUBE was dried out of composers.
    4. Gidle will keep topping Korean charts no matter what because of "antibullying image" that guaranteed a stable appreciation from general public.

• I think it's really very simple, the reason why: Cube isn't a Big 4 company, so (G)I-dle and other Cube groups will never get the exposure and inbuilt fanbase that Big 4 groups will get, which means they'll always tread on shakier grounds.

For the same reason, I think that Cube groups like CLC and Lightsum really would have been able to make it big, if they would've been part of Big 4 companies with all the Big 4 advantages and privileges that comes with it, like the promotional force and creative resource backing that Big 4 can offer - at least to a larger degree than Cube can.

Despite all that, I think that (G)I-dle had imo the most interesting chain of debut year songs of the past 7 years, with maybe Newjeans as sole exception. And they did manage to have a huge crawl back comeback after their unfair scandal, which was impressive.

It's only a shame that Soojin wasn't around anymore to profit from it too, as she deserved it too.

'No more shall man have wings to bear him to paradise. Henceforth, he shall walk.'

SWJ1P.gif

• Yes i think, no matter what they do, they wont be accepted by other stans. Especially big company stans. I dont know why but whenever they have a hit or something, people start to talk about how they manage it, they dont deserve it etc. They never mention them biggest groups thing etc or they just dont see the stats lol. I believe they never admit Gidle is succesful as other groups.

As a 4 year neverland, i became used to it.

• It definitely feels like (G)I-DLE always needs to prove themselves again and again, as though their previous successes were some kind of flukes.

It's a non big4 thing.

Stayc, IVE and g idle get one flop era and everyone say it was predictable and they're irrelevant now.

Nmixx, aespa, Le sserafim get one flop era and everyone says it's just a matter of time until they recover and get another hit again.

Kpop stans have a strong double standards when it comes to which company a kpop group come from.

Damn, even a group like Seventeen only stopped being downplayed after being bought by Hybe.

narcissistic, my god i love it

JCsIq3Q.gif

• Yes i think, no matter what they do, they wont be accepted by other stans. Especially big company stans. I dont know why but whenever they have a hit or something, people start to talk about how they manage it, they dont deserve it etc. They never mention them biggest groups thing etc or they just dont see the stats lol. I believe they never admit Gidle is succesful as other groups.

As a 4 year neverland, i became used to it.

As an almost 10 year MooMoo, I'm used to it too.

When you're a fan of a group that isn't from the Big 4, you come to expect all the disrespect and disregard for their accomplishments.

But it makes all the successes that much sweeter. And I love proving myself right, as a fan, as opposed to proving people wrong.

GIDLE in 4th Gen is dealing with the same bullshit I saw Mamamoo deal with in 3rd gen.

They deserve to take a victory lap on this one, because it's legitimately impressive, especially if they get another #1 song in a row. Very few girl groups have done that, and a grand total of 2 have done it in 4th Gen.

• I think the biggest problem now is that people don't realize how amazing is the longevity of this group.

Some of you are saying they need to always prove themselves, or that they are underestimated or underrated.

Now a reminder they've debuted in May 2018, and we are in March 2024. Which girl groups were actually able to not even top Korean charts after such time, but place in top 5-10 of charts?

Even if you mention some... those were the ones which kind of based that 'hit' on charts with a comebacks after long hiatuses.

Not just that but people forget about K-POP's EXPLOSION (wanted to name it Big Bang but that was used as bg name and whatever...) during the corona times. And also about the fact that the most powerful of powerfuls debuted later on.

So (G)I-DLE went against big hegemons like TWICE and BP, and then basically battled one kid after another, after another, after another. Just to name few those kids were aespa, IVE, Le Sserafim, NewJeans, those are the names that if you ask now in Korea "please name best girl groups these days" pretty sure all questioned would mention at least one of those names, and they would mention Idle too.

But now you can't say anymore they are underestimated, I think that with last years releases successes they've basically 'cemented' themselves as not only one of top 4th gen girl groups, but as one of top girl groups since the 1st gen

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• imo they are overrated.

They are almost 7 years old, so you should be comparing them to Twice or BP, not 2-3 year old groups like NJ, Aespa, and LSF.

Cube/Kakao's marketing power is as bigger than some in the Big4. Kakao gave Cube ~$62 million USD for 5 years distribution rights.

Their recent promotions were mid, and globally they didn't get into Spotify Global 200. Fate was a message from Cube and Kakao to the group while they are on holidays, that they need them or they will be mid.

• You even left out Itzy, Izone and Stayc who also had their runs and time in the spotlight. And also Oh My Girl and Mamamoo from 3rd gen.

Idle are survivors. They are the 3rd most shocking success story in all of Kpop tbh, first is BTS' rise to global dominance and second is Izone as Kpop's true Avengers.

NO ONE ON THIS EARTH predicted that they would rise from the dead after Soojin's scandal and reel off potentially 4 straight #1 and PAK-getting songs in a row.

• You even left out Itzy, Izone and Stayc who also had their runs and time in the spotlight. And also Oh My Girl and Mamamoo from 3rd gen.

Idle are survivors. They are the 3rd most shocking success story in all of Kpop tbh, first is BTS' rise to global dominance and second is Izone as Kpop's true Avengers.

NO ONE ON THIS EARTH predicted that they would rise from the dead after Soojin's scandal and reel off potentially 4 straight #1 and PAK-getting songs in a row.

yeah you can go on and on

they've also survived trot oppas, IU, and Brave Girls Rollin xD

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I have to disagree with the last part. I was always adamant about as long as they have soyeon, they'll always be safe

narcissistic, my god i love it

JCsIq3Q.gif

• I can agree with a lot that's being said in this thread, except for one theme: that Big 4 groups are apparently untouched by shade and disrespect.

I can't even count the gazillion times that Big 4 groups are called has-beens or flops after disappointing charting or album sales or anything else that can be downplayed or shaded: TWICE are being called flops every single time their comeback doesn't chart well, Red Velvet have been declared DOA every comeback that didn't chart Top 5, and Aespa have been shaded to oblivion as soon as their songs didn't hit Next Level-level of success.

And those are just a few of the many, MANY examples where Big 4 groups were talked down into the ground and their successes trivialized.

Reality is, Big 4 groups aren't spared from the disrespect, hate and shade that non-Big 4 groups get, to the contrary they'll even get more heat and bashing by company antis and stans of other Big 4 competitors.

It's just that aside from the added heat, Big 4 groups will often have a larger fanbase and active fans (hardcore stans, company stans and casual fans) who will be vocal and come to the defense of those Big 4 groups.

'No more shall man have wings to bear him to paradise. Henceforth, he shall walk.'

SWJ1P.gif

• I have to disagree with the last part. I was always adamant about as long as they have soyeon, they'll always be safe

tis true. No matter how much i rail and whine about Soyeon's issues with English, it is crystal clear that she has the GP wrapped around her fingers at this point.

What other idol in history has been the LEAD or SOLE writer, composer and producer for four RAK earning songs? It's incredible.

• It's amusing that Cube has fallen so much that there are excuses that they aren't a Big 3 or 4 company when at one time there were calls for them to replace JYPE and being part of the Big 3.

G-Idle isn't under estimated, they are just not topic worthy and on AKP, they just don't have as many obsessed fans.

• gidle is one of the few if not the best example of a true rise from the bottom and still maintaining their success for a girl group. They also continue to be underestimated or have flop wishes showered on them almost every comeback. Hwaa was probably the only exception. Debuting from a company that couldn't afford a debut song for them, getting into several controversies in Korea and internationally, losing a member, and another on hiatus, they just kept getting stronger.

While the intetion of this thread is good, highlighting how people undestimated GIDLE...

they DIDNT rise from bottom. They literally grab a music show win 20days into their debut ... they already made some impact in the industry on debut era. They were drown out during Senorita & Uh Oh era but they kinda grab back attention with Dumdi dumdi + the whole Queendom session

They were undestimated because they are not from big 3 BUT CUBE is not a small company also. I believe people underestimated CUBE more than they underestimated GIDLE. CUBE was the home to 4minutes, BTOB, B2ST and used to have Apink. While Cube didnt supply them songs, cube provided all the fundings for MVs, promotions etc.. song issue is always a problem for CUBE GGs cause most of them dont write unlike B2ST and BTOB which mostly written by members themselves.

• They were undestimated because they are not from big 3 BUT CUBE is not a small company also. I believe people underestimated CUBE more than they underestimated GIDLE. CUBE was the home to 4minutes, BTOB, B2ST and used to have Apink. While Cube didnt supply them songs, cube provided all the fundings for MVs, promotions etc.. song issue is always a problem for CUBE GGs cause most of them dont write unlike B2ST and BTOB which mostly written by members themselves.

Tbf cube only paid for half of the funding for Super Lady's mv but u do have a good point

Oh my baby sweet like bubble gum!

16a5ad82f46a76cf3cdeb18fe28d7be0a6d0a66f.gifv

• I was more referring to their debut etc..

Super Lady is exceptional case to be honest. CUBE nowadays have fallen so much after them losing 4minute, B2ST, BTOB.. and Apink

You're right.. I dont know how big these groups were, but do you think Idle is CUBE's biggest group in terms of success?

Oh my baby sweet like bubble gum!

16a5ad82f46a76cf3cdeb18fe28d7be0a6d0a66f.gifv

• You're right.. I dont know how big these groups were, but do you think Idle is CUBE's biggest group in terms of success?

B2st was on godly level back then. They are one of the very few boygroup (alongside Big Bang) that can hit #1 with almost every comeback AND also pre-releases. BTOB too had a good streak of hits. 4minutes was volatile but during their peak with brave bro songs they were slaying (what's your name, what you doing today). Crazy was also huge internationally.

But GIDLE by far is the most succeasful one, given how much bigger Kpop has become. Both sales, youtube views, streamings. Maybe not on touring yet cause B2ST was quite a force in touring

• While the intetion of this thread is good, highlighting how people undestimated GIDLE...

they DIDNT rise from bottom. They literally grab a music show win 20days into their debut ... they already made some impact in the industry on debut era. They were drown out during Senorita & Uh Oh era but they kinda grab back attention with Dumdi dumdi + the whole Queendom session

They were undestimated because they are not from big 3 BUT CUBE is not a small company also. I believe people underestimated CUBE more than they underestimated GIDLE. CUBE was the home to 4minutes, BTOB, B2ST and used to have Apink. While Cube didnt supply them songs, cube provided all the fundings for MVs, promotions etc.. song issue is always a problem for CUBE GGs cause most of them dont write unlike B2ST and BTOB which mostly written by members themselves.

Cube's previous girl group was a complete flop. Cube didn't even have the money to hire a song writer so Soyeon had to volunteer to create a debut song, despite her two previous solo songs not doing well. Their pre-debut had basically no hype, as they were following after CLC and a failed survival show. By all measures, they should have ended up like April or GWSN. So while they didn't start from the absolute bottom - for example KAACHI, nobody would have expected them to outrank or outsell any Big 3 girl groups. It was considered unthinkable, laughable, and even offensive for anyone to hope that Gidle could have one day achieved that. A lot of Twitter Blinks really tried telling them "know your place" in their first couple of years. Their 20 day music show win came from their own blood, sweat and tears, not anything related to their company's market position or influence.

APink's company branched off from Cube early on and were their own separate entity.

• I do agree. Mamamoo was downgraded a lot and after all of this success. Even now, they just mention big3 groups only lol.

• While the intetion of this thread is good, highlighting how people undestimated GIDLE...

Oh please. A win means nothing. It’s all about timing.

CUBE has debuted idk maybe 6-7 groups. Only 3 of them are relevant.

Gidle used to have terrible sales compared to other groups. They were charting but it was depending of the song. Queendom gave them so boost.

Gidle is literally a self made group, they handle everything heck the girls financed their last mv.

• they DIDNT rise from bottom. They literally grab a music show win 20days into their debut

Because Latata rose very similar to Fate.

It entered outside Melon Chart, they sold 420 albums on their debut. What happened though was Latata (and their initial music show stages) had a great initial response and the song rose up, they got their win and the rest is history.

But Latata, and the fact they debuted with that song and all around it was a sliding doors moment. There exists in another parallel universe where Cube locked in with Maze (or some other 3rd party song), Soyeon's not the creative director/exec producer of idle, and is relegated to doing b-sides.

Pentagon, for their first year, didn't have their TT's written by the group, despite who they had in their group (Hui, Kino, Dawn etc).

People who aren't familiar or weren't really across them then don't understand that aspect. Either Side of Idle is CLC and Lightsum - managed by Cube outright? Look how they've gone?

So yeah, they had 420 sales on their first day, something like 1000 album sales the first week. Every other group that's their 'competitor' debuted with sales that, even adjusted for album inflation, was 10-20 times more albums and with far greater hype on debut. The song was outside the top 100 on melon, but the song had a great response and rose up - that's what people are referring to when they mean that.

• This thread contains 23 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!