How popular is kpop in every country(preferably excluding bts)?

• Keep, japan, u.s and south korea as the minimum and any number of countries as your max. Compared to the mainstream music of their country how popular is kpop?

You could include bts aswell but I prefer if one doesn't cuz in many countries it's solely just them, one group that's dominating. You could swap the words bts and kpop and no common layman would know the difference. That's not the rise of the kpop genre but just the rise of bts. So though they are a major part of the equation, keep them aside and tell me how dominant kpop is as a genre in various countries?

Desbundar

• The music hierarchy here in Brazil is about this...

1. Every single brazilian music genre - axé, forró, sertanejo, pbm, brazilian funk, pagode etc

2. western pop

3. western rock

4. other genres and subgenres.

I dare to say even jpop is bigger here, since the japanese influence here is far bigger than korean because of the massive amount of nipo-brazilians. Japanese artists started doing concerts here literally decades before kpop artists.

BUT kpop is known, for sure. 24k and Kard for example participated in popular tv shows here.

narcissistic, my god i love it

JCsIq3Q.gif

Edited 2 times, last by catzi ().

• Only gg ever been on my country is Dreamcatcher and I did not know they exist during that time ;(

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I don't think many people really care about it in the US. It definitely doesn't have the broad appeal of other genres. You might be able to find some fans in the younger demographics but you'd be hard pressed to find many k-pop fans over the age of 20 when you take BTS out of the equation. My anecdotal experience is that I went to an Oh My Girl concert in Atlanta and there were maybe 200-300 people there in total. Most of them were very young. The oldest people I saw were probably in their late 20s to early 30s.

• Extremely popular where I am LOL I'm from Malaysia and SNSD - Bigbang are the two groups that make Kpop a prominent genre in my country

As of now, I would say Blackpink is the most well-known group here when it comes to their music as I vividly remember how D4 awakens the long-dead Hallyu Wave after 2015, local radios were playing that song like CRAZY . For sure Kpop fans already exists before 2018 but D4 was THE song that makes the local go crazy about Kpop once again , just like how the locals were dancing and bopping to MADE and Lion Heart in 2015

I also recall how a mini show that aires every day in one of the largest network in this country would have Rosie and Jisoo scene from KTL

I would say here,, BTS is known by their name but not many actually listen to their music , while Blackpink probably have more casual listeners

Anyways one of the funniest shit I encountered was Gone receiving more streams in my country rather than OTG when RS1 drops LOL we Malaysians love heartbreak songs more than anything else

영원히 소녀시대! BLACKPINK IS THE REVOLUTION                      original.gif

• I don't listen to the radio, but afaik it's not that popular. Although they recently started playing BTS and Blackpink at the big-box grocery store I go to, which is a very new thing for them. Hearing Ice Cream suddenly playing through the speakers left me shooketh.

N Ξ O C I T Y

EWwNl6R.png

• It's very niche. Even including BTS ( my parents don't even know their names ). But ! This niche is still there : I was yesterday at the FNAC, and there were a bunch of girls flying aroud the kpop shelf. Many kpop groups comes for a concert or are planning to - Stray Kidz, Ateez etc...

Kpop will most likely never be mainstream ( maybe BTS one day if they perform at the Eurovision or something lol ), but that doesn't mean there aren't some dedicated fans there.

• Kpop is a niche in all countries, except South Korea. In my country it is niche music for teenagers girls. Kpop has enough fans to fill an arena of 20k people, but they are still few (very few) compared to fans of other genres such as trap, rap, reggaeton, rock or metal.

• Kpop is definitely not mainstream.

But saying it's not popular when BTS were doing stadium concerts all over the world even back in 2019, something even big western artists can't do is pretty ridiculous.

Also, dyna was one of the biggest songs last year despite being released late. That Samsung ad was broadcasted all over the world. So there are millions of casuals who also heard the song.

• It's very niche. Even including BTS ( my parents don't even know their names ). But ! This niche is still there : I was yesterday at the FNAC, and there were a bunch of girls flying aroud the kpop shelf. Many kpop groups comes for a concert or are planning to - Stray Kidz, Ateez etc...

Kpop will most likely never be mainstream ( maybe BTS one day if they perform at the Eurovision or something lol ), but that doesn't mean there aren't some dedicated fans there.

Each time I go to fnac there is the stereotype of people around each music section genres :cryingr:

I would say, Kpop in my country isn't popular public wise, but I would say the fandom of each group is still pretty large... Kpop isn't mainstream, but a lot of people like it.

• Kpop is niche in my country too. Like people know it but don't care about it. With my twitter interaction there seems to be a tremendous following for Mamamoo and BP due to their image. SM groups have a good amount of following too. But again, I have never met kpop fans in real life or even recognized a kpop fan.

• I do think SNSD and Bigbang were big here and also wonder girls and T-ara (roly poly). This is based on what songs I’ve heard before I was into kpop.

But Blackpink reviving Hallyu wave is a stretch..the wave was consistently there from BB and Exo to BTS.

But it’s true BP is popular and well received than BTS because people here have the tendency to judge “boys wearing make ups” more. Radio wise, BTS and BP’s songs are on most of the time (compared to other groups). But if you go to shopping malls, it can be any kpop groups like Twice, NCT, Loona, Itzy etc

• I'd say pretty mainstream. Unless they live in a cave, ppl in their 10s-30s will know what Kpop is, whether they're male or female. Multiple Kpop acts have been endorsing local brand in my country as well. Also 2 out of top 5 most streamed acts on Youtube (past 12 months) in my country were Kpop acts. I'm from SEA btw.

Kpop is a niche in all countries, except South Korea.

Are you seriously speaking for every single country in the world right now? Lmao.

• Non existent. Except for Butter and Dynamite on the radio, but I doubt people know anything about BTS, since they also hear other world famous groups, bands and singers on the radio and know nothing about them.

• well if we exclude BTS , then only lee min ho can sell a fan meet here. Considering his huge fandom here and him being face of k dramas. No kpop artist can do here.

BTS can sell stadiums here!

• I know kpop is a niche for many countries but for what I've seen blackpink as a kpop group is popular in Brazil (the Brazilian fanbase has grown so much since 2020), I would say they are somewhat popular in latin america at least people know them and we know they are pretty popular in SEA and China. In the US it's more about BTS nowadays but blackpink is definitely a group that also comes to mind when people think of kpop.

• Its not popular or mainstream in my country, the rank of music play in radio

1. local music

2. indo music

2. western music

3. chinese, tamil local music

4. kpop(mainly the big 3-bts,blackpink and sometime twice??)

But altho its not a popular genre, kpop fanbase is huge here.. outside of kpop fanbase no one know or care about kpop here. Instead kpop fan are popular in the wrong way. Ppl making fun of kpop fan in local sns here and ppl still look down on kpop here. It wont be mainstream or popular in here but to local kpop fan here its really popular :D. To the general public here they dont care at all.

• Kpop In Germany it's still nowhere to be found.

Maybe the reason is that the country is still conservative when it comes to Asians generally let alone kpop or the music from Asia.

The country itself is slowly waking up about clima, feminism and rascim against black people and other European nations.

But when it comes to Asians its still treated as a joke.

Even the rascist attack against Bts from the Moderator from a radio station was seem as normal.

So it's hard for kpop to grow in Germany.

Beside for BTS and little bit blackpink its a small niche.

• If I look at my country (Germany) than out on the streets you will barly notice anyone who likes KPop, in fact you mostly not even notice if someone likes German or Western music (except they blast the music they like in their car or wear bandshirts but other than this you will never know if the women you just saw likes Justin Bieber, Rihanna, metalbands or something you never thought could be her taste)

I mostly only see people talking about KPop online or if you perhaps go to a festival where such people could also apear

In the most cases from what I saw on festivals and on the internet and from the rare moments when people wore bandshirts I noticed that these artists are the most popular:

1. BTS (of cause)
    2. BLACKPINK
    3. TWICE
    4. NCT
    5. MONSTA X
    6. Red Velvet
    7. ATEEZ
    8. BIG BANG
    9. The rest like literally everyone I didn't mentioned

The type of KPop-listener like "I like BTS and BLACKPINK and maybe even TWICE" is the biggest part like let's say 2-3% of all people in Germany know them or heard of them and maybe even like songs of them. The rest of the more true KPop-listeners and even big fans is most likly 2% or even less than that

It's not too popular here, especially not since still a lot people have prejudices about it, wich you can see on Q&A-websites where people ask stupid stuff like "Can I make my girlfriend stop listening to BTS? I just don't like them..." or "Why do 2 of my friend like KPop?" etc. and many of these people are either entitled or confused why other people have a different taste in music than they do ...

So yeah ... not too popular but also not really unknown I would say and there are allready enough people so a few songs even menage to be on the top10 trends on Youtube or even in the Youtube-charts of Germany ...

A.C.E | ATEEZ | DRIPPIN| MCND | NU'EST | ONF | SF9 | Stray Kids | TFN

• I'm not sure about that. The status of k-pop is basically the same all over Europe, not just in Germany. People don't really take it seriously, either because bgs and ggs look like a rehashed concept from the 90's to boomers or because other genres rule supreme. In France, youths are all about French rap.

There's nonetheless a lot of people who listen to kpop, BTS concerts here have been very successful; but it's not considered mainstream. That's why I see k-pop mostly as a subculture: you're either a fan or you have no interest about it. There's no casual listeners.

• KPop is very popular in Vietnam I must say.

The most popular groups right now are by far BTS and BLACKPINK. All the worst fans are also from here (talking to the VN Blonks).

TWICE, EXO, Red Velvet, Wanna One, ITZY are somehow popular.

2nd Gen are still queens in Vietnam and we still really love SNSD, 2NE1, BIGBANG and the special T-ARA.

Some fans are willing to spend so much money on idols, and to DONATE for idols as well (and it also happens for stans of Chinese idols which is very controversial)

:iloveyoub: BRIGHTWIN FOREVER :iloveyoub: SARAWATTINE FOREVER :iloveyoub: 2GETHER FOREVER :iloveyoub: 

Bom tấn đam mỹ 2gether "đánh úp" bản điện ảnh, cặp BrightWin sắp sửa cưới  nhau hoành tráng?

• Kpop is definitely not mainstream.

But saying it's not popular when BTS were doing stadium concerts all over the world even back in 2019, something even big western artists can't do is pretty ridiculous.

Also, dyna was one of the biggest songs last year despite being released late. That Samsung ad was broadcasted all over the world. So there are millions of casuals who also heard the song.

That's why OP wanted to exclude BTS though bc they are the only ones doing this plus most Army don't consider themselves kpop fans in general.

• This thread contains 18 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!