Does having a knowledge in English help a KPOP artist's popularity?

• Genuine question: Does knowing English well help a KPOP artists' popularity internationally? (Or releasing full English songs, mainly English songs or English versions of released songs)

In my personal opinion, I think that it does. Blackpink is super popular internationally, as well as domestically and 3/4 members are fluent in English. 4/8 of the songs on The Album are in English or almost all English and I think this has helped them grow even more internationally. BTS released Dynamite (an all English song) and it broke many records everywhere and became mainstream in the West (I've heard it play multiple times on the radio like IHeartRadio and more and I live in the U.S.A). I'm not sure who's fluent in English in that group, I've heard Namjoon speak English a few times and he's really good at it. But they already had I-Army but I think the numbers definitely grew since then.

No Twice member is fluent in English but I think that their English versions are really popular also (I Can't Stop Me and More & More). They released two English songs (I Want You Back which was a cover but Twice style and it had a music video and What You Waiting For which was an English release on a Japanese album but I'm not sure how well it did but I listened to it and it was sort of hard to understand) but they are more popular domestically (mostly Korea and Japan) and they have a lot of I-Once already. For Itzy, they released English versions for all their title tracks very recently and I'm expecting those to do well in the West too. Plus Lia is fluent in English, though I'm not sure about the other members :)

So what do you guys think? Does releasing a (mostly, version, or all) English song or having a knowledge in English help a KPOP artist internationally?

ღ Happy Birthday / 10.18.2005 ღ

6f2600f9ca710c96c5228757df28dbe5d21c9ff1.gifv giphy.gif 84e36da9f196e239f5a3bc0d2103c8cce10f4953.gifv

• I suppose it might help with interacting with international fans. For example Aaron from NU'EST is a fluent English speaker and he interacts with international loves quite often. Does that help with the overall popularity of a group? Not unless their company actually releases English versions of their songs which usually happens only in big companies.

• gives a variety of content, iv noticed non itzy fans even enjoy shit like

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

cause its all english, so its a different dynamic

• gives a variety of content, iv noticed non itzy fans even enjoy shit like

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

cause its all english, so its a different dynamic

I saw that when it was released and even though Lia is my fav Ryujin looked so good there...

• I think so especially if they’re popular and regularly tour to western countries. Even just a little bit helps even if it’s only one or two members. It can open the door to other possibilities too like acting.

• It can certainly raise your profile and opportunities but it’s not a sure thing. It certainly seems to help in running the PR junkets and getting longer segments on Western shows, particularly if the English speakers are entertaining and dynamic. It also seems to expand the reach of their social media content where so many at constantly asking them to “speak English.” Certainly there isn’t a Kpop group currently gaining attention in the US without an English speaker. English songs can help here - they’re not a guarantee of success but it certainly helps crossover potential.

..............................................................................................................perfume

1a8e5b24bf1c6ccaa1e5bd8ca4a707841e1abe65.gif31addbb43f8bc3a9c9e7fff75dd7f232c5839f1f.gifd752226429a326c0a6d90dfff22926c1961158d1.gif

• Yes, absolutely. It won't automatically make you internationally successful, but it's certainly an advantage that would make more people interested. This goes for any language, but English is definitely more influential for the western market.

N Ξ O C I T Y

EWwNl6R.png

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!