Melon Top 1000 Analysis for Girl Groups (2007-Present)

• I never really looked at the Melon Daily Chart Top 1000 in any depth until the past few weeks, and I was quite surprised about what songs are still charting (77 girl group songs, or only 7.7 percent). I was also surprised by what songs aren't charting, where certain songs are currently placed, how certain songs rank relative to other songs from the same time period, and a variety of other things. What is the general public of Korea listening to as far as old songs?

Here are the girl groups ranked by number of songs charting in the Melon daily chart top 1000 (dated February 14th):

Blackpink: 17
    Twice: 11
    G-Idle: 9
    Izone: 7

Mamamoo: 6

Oh My Girl: 6

Red Velvet: 4

G-Friend: 4
    Itzy :4

Aespa: 2

SNSD: 2

2NE1: 1

T-ara: 1

Momoland: 1

A Pink: 1

Stay C: 1

Here are the songs and their placements separated by year:
    I placed the current highest charting song, the rest are in spoilers.
    (I may have missed a group or two, I searched every group I could think of that might possibly have a song in the top 1000. However, every group listed has all of their currently charting songs accounted for.)

2007: SNSD - Into the New World (#846)
    2008: NO GIRL GROUP SONG CHARTING

2009: 2NE1 - I Don't Care (#662)

2010-2014: NO GIRL GROUP SONG CHARTING
    2015: G-Friend - Me Gustas Tu (#954)
    2016: Blackpink - Playing With Fire (#208)

2017: Blackpink - As if It's Your Last (#189)

2018: Blackpink - Forever Young (#177)

2019: Red Velvet - Psycho (#119)

2020: Blackpink - Lovesick Girls (#6)

2021: G-Idle - Hwaa (#23)

-------
    My Brief Analysis
    -------
    2009 must have been a big year to still have 3 songs charting, since there were no songs at all from 2010-2014 still charting, and only one from 2015. Also interesting that 2016 was a lot bigger than 2017, and 2018 bigger than 2019. If that trend continues, 2021 will be a year with less big hits than 2020.
    It seems, with the exception of Blackpink's huge songs, most huge songs/national hits (Cheer Up, Bboom Bboom, TT, Red Flavor, Gee for example) don't always have the long-term staying power as almost as popular songs from the same era. Maybe they get overplayed and people get sick of them? Idk. For example, I Don't Care is almost always considerably ahead of Gee on the Melon Daily chart top 1000. Both songs from 2009, both big during their release period, but Gee had a more explosive opening. However, It seems the GP listens to I Don't Care more frequently years later. This is the same type of situation with Blackpink's 2016 songs, even Stay, all having consistently better showings on this chart than either Cheer up or TT from the same era (more surprisingly, Russian Roulette also does better most days).
    G-Idle does really strongly among the newer groups (3.5/4th gen groups)
    Some of Oh My Girl's songs from 2018 and 2019 still charting, also to my surprise.
    Besides Heartshaker, all of Twice's 2017 releases are notably missing. I would have guessed Likey to still be charting at least.

I was most surprised that T-ara's one entry isn't Roly Poly or Love Dovey, but an even older song from 2009 I had never heard of.

Edited once, last by ill-pray-4-u: Typo for Forever Young ().

• This is interesting to see. BP is quite impressive with the amount of songs they have, even Kill This Love (which to many people is considered a flop) is still charting quite high.

• Knock knock, likey, signal no where to be found.

I could understand about knock knock and signal, but likey is one of their best song (and it also has most views on youtube behind TT)

• melon top 1000 is heavily influenced by fandom streaming, i wouldnt gave it such importance tbh but its fun for bp twice dominating as usual

There is no real evidence of this. Rather the opposite. Boy group songs besides BTS are nowhere to be found, despite many of those groups selling a lot more albums and having a much bigger fandom than groups like say, G-Idle or Oh My Girl.

Example: Exo has ONE song in the top 1000, at #905 (Love Shot).
    Wanna One, probably the group best known for fandom streaming in Korean charts, has ZERO songs in the top 1000 currently.

It seems like you're just trying to create that argument since it's yet another area Twice isn't winning. Otherwise, I'd be glad to hear your attempt at reasoning "fandom streaming" is responsible for the top 1000 of the daily chart.

Edited once, last by ill-pray-4-u: Adding examples. ().

• Let's not forget that ggs are not known for having a mass fandom in korea and bp has been previously claimed to have a small fandom in korea. So claiming they do is delusional,dimwitted and illogical asf.

I don't expect much from those kind of people. I will just end losing brain cells if i argue with them.

• melon top 1000 is heavily influenced by fandom streaming, i wouldnt gave it such importance tbh but its fun for bp twice dominating as usual

If it is heavily influenced by fandom, the top1000 would be flooded with BGs songs instead of GGs. Top1000 is actually more reflective of songs listened / playlisted by GP users

• The saddest takeaways from that chart.

2NE1's Ugly is nowhere to be found.

Two of the S tier songs from Twice and BP are struggling like crazy. Cry for Me and You Never Know. What the hell is the matter with these people. :cursing:

I agree, I love Ugly.

It is one of their better performing songs though. It’s their third best performing song on melon’s daily chart after I Don’t Care and Go Away.

Outside of the top 1000 don’t have their ranks publicized but you can sort an artist’s songs by popularity which shows how close to the top 1000 it might be by proximity.

• Playing with God & As if it's your legend really stood the test of time.

late 2016 - mid 2017 - I remember that era very well.

That was the time when a lot of fandoms started get really threatened by BP.

I guess deep down they knew what was coming lol

• Re: song like SNSD - Gee being outpaced, TWICE - Cheer Up, etc.

I think this may have to do with many of those types of songs being, to some extent novelty songs, with cute iconography.

In the sense that they are iconic of their eras. And are evocative of the period. And maintain their relevance in the nostalgia and history they represent in kpop, with them having widespread sound and lyrical recognition among multiple generations of kpop fans and the industry at large (they're covered by groups, remembered iconically for their eras, people often know the songs instantly by heart or sight of the MV, etc.)

But are probably not listened to on a daily basis to the extent songs that do not share that kind of cute novelty.

E.g. Across generations people will know Gee, often be able to sing along to Gee or hum the tune by heart, have instant recognition and nostalgia for the sound and image, but I find less people who say it's on constant rotation, though they are out there.

Interesting anecdotal counterpoint:

I was watching a YouTuber who does "walking in Korea videos" and he did one on "Walking In Seoul On A Dark Winters Night".

You follow the camera along snow covered Seoul, through alleyways and along streets and shops, mostly deserted for the weather and night. Finally along one street he came to he passed a cafe or a bar or something....

In the silence of the night, snow falling down in the darkness, you hear it....

The soft echoed sound eminating from one of the shops...

"GEE GEE GEE"

Haha.... Only one example but it was too perfect.

• what i meant is that the positions are so random (for exempke knock knock re entered top 1000 then jumped to 600+ and the next day

it was out) that we shouldn't give it much importance. Merry and Happy is charting higher than CU, but nobody would say it's bigger. Same for stay with Cheer Up, TT, Rough and Decalomanie

• Nice analysis! Could you perhaps expand it to include all artists? For example, I'm curious if IU would have the most songs in the Top 1000.

Also, can you tell us how you're able to get Melon Daily Chart Top 1000 data? When I visit the Melon web site, I only see the top 100 songs.

• Nice analysis! Could you perhaps expand it to include all artists? For example, I'm curious if IU would have the most songs in the Top 1000.

Also, can you tell us how you're able to get Melon Daily Chart Top 1000 data? When I visit the Melon web site, I only see the top 100 songs.

https://xn--o39an51b2re.com/melon/dailychart

This site. Has data about melon and all streaming services in korea like genie,flo,bugs.

°⨳°·..·°⨳°⊹٭ 𝓙𝓞𝓨 ٭⊹°⨳°·..·°⨳°

e59e7135c19a6341cc1e93725017b2ba7130662a.gifv 6c1d54386949e369c7a401c21503a4af7b66a053.gifv 87421ed4a49499627715cb8666cc133529df9593.gifv 6c1d54386949e369c7a401c21503a4af7b66a053.gifv b2fee2c558a21bd6472498e040b6dad3a40db33e.gifv

• what i meant is that the positions are so random (for exempke knock knock re entered top 1000 then jumped to 600+ and the next day

it was out) that we shouldn't give it much importance. Merry and Happy is charting higher than CU, but nobody would say it's bigger. Same for stay with Cheer Up, TT, Rough and Decalomanie

The positions are based on what songs are still being listened to, so it’s not random.

For the period I had been tracking, I’ve never once seen Knock Knock re-enter. Most songs are stable within the top 1000, and only have minor daily changes. Merry and Happy only charted higher during the Christmas season. I’d prefer you not lie, but maybe you’re just mistaken.

It would take far too long. I had to go on the melon website in Korean, search each artist, go to their song list, sort by popularity, then check each song’s page to see it’s ranking. To do this would require me searching any artist that might have a song in the top 1000.

• Nice compilation..

If nothing else I think it shows how important it is to have a presence in media, be it constantly coming out with new music or appearing on tv/news etc.

I just checked and IU has 33 songs in the top 1000 currently. Her 33rd is at spot #738, and the next most popular song is out of the top 1000. BTS actually has 35 songs in the top 1000, the most for an idol it seems, although their songs are generally placing lower than IU's songs (For example BTS only has about 25 songs at spot #738 or above).

• The positions are based on what songs are still being listened to, so it’s not random.

For the period I had been tracking, I’ve never once seen Knock Knock re-enter. Most songs are stable within the top 1000, and only have minor daily changes. Merry and Happy only charted higher during the Christmas season. I’d prefer you not lie, but maybe you’re just mistaken.

all im saying is that melon top 1000 is a really really random chart, songs can fall 200 spots in a day and rise back 100 the next one, its so random we cant give it much importance. You saying i dont acknowledge it cuz twice isnt the first is the same as me saying you only acknoweldge it cuz bp is first, idk if you get what i mean

also for kk:

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

and it charted out the next day

• This thread contains 22 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!