Posts by Icaro_Ribeiro

So much bullshit

Dude anybody can start false rumours on internet. Do you want companies to keep silent when every month a fake bullying scandal can pop up on the internet and end the career of their idols?

Drew thread gave me the idea of creating this poll. What is your favorite kpop years and why?

I'm using 2004 onward because that's about the time where 2nd gen started, I don't think most of people here would pick 1st gen years for that matter

Ok, my favorite kpop years are 2015 and 2016. During this time many 2nd and 3rd gen groups released some of their best works and many iconic kpop singles too. I think I like most of the kpop hits released this time, TT, Rough, Monster, Blood Sweat and Tears, Very³, Loser, View, Russian Roulette, Fxxk It...

SM was ON FIRE releasing quality albums for almost all their acts such as Exodus, Exact, 4 Walls, Odd, 1 of 1, Ice Cream Cake, Lion Heart, Rise as God, etc. NCT is the only SM act from this time to release music I find bad. I don't listen Super Junior so I can't say anything about them

From JYP we had Wonder Girls releasing one of the best female kpop albums, Reboot

We had also an awesome wave of non Big3 acts releasing quality content boygroups and girlgroups alike, Mamamoo, Vixx, Seventeen, BTS, GFriend, BtoB, Block B... I can list at least 2 albums/eps I like from each one those acts released during that time. Just to show some of the few awesome bsides releases during that time:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

They got old

It's really just that guys

Idol groups are short lived and their charting is mostly based on hype and freshness status. When you are young, you are cool. Once you start aging you get uncool and unfresh

Twice exploded 5 years ago in Korea, it's an eternity for idols. Twice still being able to reach top 20 with current charting rules proves how big they actually are, they amassed a big enough group of followers and listeners to keep eager for their music despite the said ""GP"" not bothering as much as they used to

I'm sure in older charting rules they would have another top 5 song just fine

In girlgroup sphere, 3rd gen and 4th gen will coexist for a while but 4th gen surpassing them seems inevitable. Only BP will remain unmatched until other company release another girlgroup with the same level, who will be is yet to be seen, but I'm confident in Bighit new girlgroup to be humunguous

As for 4th gen Boygroups, I'm not seeing this transition happening just yet. We have currently four 3rd gen boygroups who far outsells every 4th gen boygroup and seems like their sales keeping growing, specially NCT and BTS. So 4th gen selling half million on average will have years to go, maybe 2 or 3, until they watch the 3rd gen boygroups (if they catch at all)

I'm not sure but my feelings are like all current 4th gen BGs will live forever in the shadow of 3rd gen groups. Only once 3rd gen boygroups really become inactive and go on hiatus we will see the turning point, but how long it will take? In my opinion more 2 years.

Just food for thoughts: In 2 years both Bighit and JYP will release their new boygroups, SM is very likely to release another boygroup as well. So maybe those group might be the "true" top 4th gen boygroups instead current ones like Stray Kids, Ateez or TxT, exactly because they don't need to worry with 3rd gen far outselling them, they will have a market space dedicated only to themselves, similar to how 3rd gen was during 2015-2019 period where BTS-Seventeen-Wanna One-NCT all boomed

If that's the case then is Red Velvet/Mamamoo not 3rd gen because they debut 2 years after AOA/EXID

Or is BTS not 3rd Gen because they debut 2 years after Boyfriend/B1A4 and EXO not 3rd Gen because they debut 2 years after Infinite?

The core of my argument is exaclty the opposite of your assertions

The generation of a group is defined by the period they were the most active and the period they started to peak/peaked rather than the year they debuted

you do understand that longevity work both ways?

it's same like you would say EXO is 4th gen because they are active when 4th gen groups are lol...

and longevity shouldn't have anything to do they way from which generation group is

as far as I remember reading some translated comments from pann and other Korean forums it was more about impact and achievements. Rather than time alone.

EXO isn't active with 4th gen, they have literally one comeback and the next one won't come in next 2 years. Your argument is awful, you should have used BTS instead

if IZ*ONE ain't 4th gen then I don't know who is.

Aespa, StayC, Weekly etc

The question is iZone disbanded even before most of 4th gen groups ever debut. Meanwhile they coexisted with pretty much every 3rd gen group, for me they are 3rd gen

And if Idle is done as a group for me they are 3rd gen as well. Itzy being 3rd gen or 4th gen depends of how long lived the group is. But 2021 groups are definitely 4th gen as they are starting to see 3rd gen groups to be more inactive

SM peak in stocks was 2018 when EXO, Shinee and TVXQ were all active and touring this lead to an extremely high market cap because the market consensus was the company would make tons of money. Indeed 2018 was the year SM made the most money, but LSM hates big profit margins because it means taxes, so he started his strategy of making up expenses. As result 2018 profit margin was underwhelming and the market reacted negatively

During 2019 Shinee and EXO then and TVXQ just stopped being so active because they are an aging group. This hit the market consensus and SM market cap decreased over 50% in 2 years. Not surprisingly without their biggest groups 2020 saw the worst liquidity performance in SM in decades

Now NCT can finally meet the same level of profitability of their older groups the market seems confident in SM again. Their current market cap still about 20-25% behind 2018, but if SM doesn't improve their profit margins in next quarters their market cap will start shrinking again because no matter how well NCT is selling, if SM doesn't turn this into profits then it's all for nothing

But I'm not so confident in current SM performance. Shinee and EXO won't be able to hold big concert tours for a while, so SM will really need to rely on Suju, TVXQ and NCT. NCT being touring machines for some years are a given, but I'm not sure if their older acts are so eager to do the same. SM options right now are:

- Somehow manage to make Aespa a touring act in the same level of Twice or Blakcpink. It's hard because they are a girlgroup, but definitely possible

- Debut a new Boygroup to build a fandom and then start touring in the next 2 years, right in time to EXO start touring again, then the main touring acts of SM would be the new BG, EXO and NCT Dream as 127 enlist phase will start to haunting SM

Let's see how things will work