Your idols self produced music probably sucks

• Let’s not pretend that your idol is a one in a million talent that comes around every century. He probably sucks at producing and his/her music probably sucks and can only be relegated to soundcloud. To save the face of the entire group.

Just leave the job to professionals. Some particular groups that I would like to highlight is red velvet English demos, sm in general tbh, a lot of their demos produced by American/Swedish producers are literally the best of kpop and should be celebrated as such. Like bad boy, psycho, four walls. (except regular which is definitely nct 127’s worse song in existence)

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

There also a lot of well respected Korean professionals like you young Jin and teddy that love them or hate them are too hot makers of kpop.

Proof me wrong if want but your faves self produced song is likely shit.

( okay now give me akorns, I am trying to save up to get aespa badges which as you can notice is completely empty) how you can help: react to this post with sunglasses thanks friends :moneyk:

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Bruh this thread flopping :pepe-sad:

• Very true. Being self produced doesnt mean shiznit if your music sucks. Lucky for me i stan only the BEST self produced groups like Day6, SKZ, and Gidle.

Also, i've said it before, just cause your fave is on the credit line doesnt mean he or she did anything meaningful. If there are four or five other names on that line, your faves couldve just written one "oh yea" and gotten credit for it. Also, your fave couldve been illegally given credit when everything he or she did was done by someone else, ala ghostwriter controversy.

• Very true. Being self produced doesnt mean shiznit if your music sucks. Lucky for me i stan only the BEST self produced groups like Day6, SKZ, and Gidle.

Also, i've said it before, just cause your fave is on the credit line doesnt mean he or she did anything meaningful. If there are four or five other names on that line, your faves couldve just written one "oh yea" and gotten credit for it. Also, your fave couldve been illegally given credit when everything he or she did was done by someone else, ala ghostwriter controversy.

don’t listen to day6. But yes to gidle, the other one… :pepe-tea:.

Yea agree to your last paragraph, why we giving credit just for ‘participating in song writing process’ it really doesn’t mean anything to me. Also why we so obsess with self producing groups, just because they did it thmsleevs doesn’t make the final music quality Any better,

• so you are not talking about lyrics but actual composition and arrangements right?

There are barely any idols who can actually do it without professionals help and that is fine because there is a reason it is a separate job with pros.

Soyeon is actually one of the very few who actually does even composition and arrangements (for some songs only) with the help of just one other person, same with youngk... Otherwise usually its a big list.

I am not sure about how many people help with skz songs though never really checked that out but i do know that chan does have some experience in it.

Most take a good amount of help.

As for lyrics many idols are good at it and do it pretty well

• Everything I highlighted them is 3RACHA and other Stray Kids members. This is from their last album.

Stray Kids barely get help from anyone other than VERSACHOI and HOT SAUCE, and they often get arrangement credits alongside Bang Chan and the occasional Changbin credit.

capture.png

Their last title track was composed and written by 3RACHA (Bang Chan, Han and Changbin) and arranged by Bang Chan and HOT SAUCE.

• i agree

i fully think teddy is a genius and blackpink is in good hands (except teddy has to stop giving them the same sort of title tracks, or just more music in general)

i would definitely like bp to experiment with more producers, but i love the color that teddy's music gives them so i hope he keeps producing for them too

r o s e s   a n d   p e a c h e s

• Wut? Are you sure? I'm pretty sure Soyeon has been credited for every Gidle title song, and i'm pretty sure she was the sole songwriter for some of them (she usually has 1 other person on the writer/producer lines, maybe two at most).

• Yes you’re probably right but at the same time some of those coveted “professional” producers also make terrible music especially for some big groups whose names i won’t mention bc I don’t have the energy to fight yall so at the end of the day it’s all moot. Idol producers can be shit but so can professional ones, and no point was made :wellr:

• There are barely any idols who can actually do it without professionals help and that is fine because there is a reason it is a separate job with pros.

Soyeon is actually one of the very few who actually does even composition and arrangements (for some songs only) with the help of just one other person, same with youngk... Otherwise usually its a big list.

Don't mind me, just flexing my faves, and this is excluding Young K's recent solo debut album

:pepelove1::pepelove1:

Blue square for lyrics, pink circle for composition. I mean they play the instruments for their own song recordings so we expect nothing less.

And they are doing it without like 37432484 producers and 3748973248 songwriters

pasted-from-clipboard.jpg

• Wut? Are you sure? I'm pretty sure Soyeon has been credited for every Gidle title song, and i'm pretty sure she was the sole songwriter for some of them (she usually has 1 other person on the writer/producer lines, maybe two at most).

On all title tracks (including LION):

Soyeon is credited as the only lyricist. For music composition, she's credited first before the producer. For arrangement, she's credited after the producer. The only exception is 'Uh-Oh' which she has no arrangement credits for. On a given song, she works with only one producer; exception for 'Uh-Oh' (again) with both June and MooF credited as arrangers and co-composers.

(I didn't consider Last Dance as a title track)

• Most so called self produced are being praised for nothing with their involvement being grossly overstated.

Also I'm sorry but writing on top of an already composed track with a melody is not the same as composing/producing a song from scratch.

That's why most of Y'all so called self producing faves music sounds like ass once they leave their huge label.

Exceptions to this - Soyeon from G-idle who not only writes but gets composition credit on title tracks but she's a girl so she doesn't get praised half as much as she should be. Suga is good and his works speaks for itself but he has never produced a BTS title track.

• I am not sure about how many people help with skz songs though never really checked that out but i do know that chan does have some experience in it.

Usually not many, 1-2 people. For lyrics, almost always zero, if someone else is credited for composition it's only after 3RACHA usually.

Yes, Chan arranges songs increasingly more often.

• People only care about self producing to brag about it, not only the quality can be questionable but alot of these so called self produced idols get all kinds of people to help them, who knows which part they actually participated

• It's probably true for some groups, some are only credited so that the song can be marketed as self produced and when you check the credits they're behind several people. But let's not act like all your "professionals" can only make good songs and their work is always necessarily better than that of idol producers.

Well, I'm glad I stan a group who write all their songs and self-produce good music. :wellr:

• people always use as a drag the fact groups don't make their own music. I would say, if some groups STOPPED making their own music then they would finally escape their flop era bcs self produced music ≠ good music

What's the most important for an artist though? Is it to top charts absolutely or to be able to express themselves through their own music?

Of course every artist wish for their music to reach and connect with the bigger audience possible. But sometimes it just doesn't and that's ok as long as they sincerely did what they wanted to do.

You can flop with your self produced music, sure, but you can also flop with music your company forced on you and that you didn't even like that much in the first place. What's the worst deal?

• U all talking about skz and ateez right??

I didn’t even know steel self produced. Once again don’t listen to o their music so…

• What's the most important for an artist though? Is it to top charts absolutely or to be able to express themselves through their own music?

Of course every artist wish for their music to reach and connect with the bigger audience possible. But sometimes it just doesn't and that's ok as long as they sincerely did what they wanted to do.

You can flop with your self producing music, sure, but you can also flop with music your company forced on you and that you didn't even like that much in the first place. What's the worst deal?

Only in kpop people expect artists to be multifunctional and be excellent in every single category - singing, dancing, rapping, producing,good at varieties,great actors and so on and so on. Not every idol's most important goal is to produce music. Many care about those charts more, many just want to perform their songs and that's it. What I am trying to say is that people use as a brag the fact their faves make their own music and they hate on those groups whose music isn't self produced. In those cases I am saying that my personal opinion is their music sucks so in such cases dragging based on self produced music is hilarious.

• What's the most important for an artist though? Is it to top charts absolutely or to be able to express themselves through their own music?

You can flop with your self producing music, sure, but you can also flop with music your company forced on you and that you didn't even like that much in the first place. What's the worst deal?

Oh please they can release that shit in their soundcloud for all I care.

If you flip with company pushed music you can blame your company but if you flip with your own music you have to blame yourself. There is clearly a better option :pepe-toast:

• I agree, some of the self produced music fans brag about is just...

Out of the idols that worked on title tracks, the only ones I really consider good(and can remember rn) are Soyeon, G Dragon, B1A4 Jinyoung, Jun. k and Hui. Also the Ikon member that worked on Love Scenario and the BTS member who worked on Spring day

Some have the talent and some don’t. But majority don’t. There is obviously exceptions to the rule. But if y’all champion your idols as self producing and their music sounds like shit. Maybe it’s time to take a new direction and stop pretending it’s good

• This thread contains 22 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!