It's shocking that RED VELVET are doing so well despite having a massive scandal and long hiatus .What's the secret ?

• Correct me if i'm wrong tho

im really, like really2 surprise with how well RV is doing despite having a 600++ days of hiatus

but its more shocking when they manage to hit it after a major scandal ! this is very rare for a girl group

girl group tend to underperform after having a massive scandal

For example :

Girls Day Dumpling's scandal = Ring My Bell underperformed

KARA Laughing scandal = Damaged Lady underperformed

AOA History scandal = Good Luck underperformed & Excuse Me flopped

Sulli leaving f(x) = Red Light tanking (but its maybe due to how weird the song is)

Tiffany flag history = Holiday & All Night underperformed

no need to mention about T-ARA

(Not mentioning Tzuyu scandal because its not involving the knetz)

the only GG that doing well after a scandal is probably IZONE with FIESTA

meanwhile RV is about to get their PAKs, also having the highest ULs for a girlgroup among with Brave Girls (but Brave Girls is the current trend so its not shocking)

what do you think is the secret of RV massive success ?

• girlgroupstan21

Changed the title of the thread from “It's shocking that RED VELVET doing so well despite having a massive scandal and long hiatus .What's the secret ?” to “It's shocking that RED VELVET are doing so well despite having a massive scandal and long hiatus .What's the secret ?”.
  • The secret(s) is that the first thing is that they come from SM. So the song it's self was never in any real danger of "flopping". Now it might not have done as well as their previous releases due to their scandals and them being a 7 year girl group but just by them being an SM girl group it was bound to catch the public's attention. Second thing, it's how SM handled Irene's scandal that's kind of allowed the public to move on and carry on. They had Irene immediately apologize and meet with the victim and thankfully the victim accepted the apology and said she wanted to move on from the incident. Also timing, Irene and RV are very lucky that Irene's scandal happened when it did back in Oct of 2020 instead of this year during the flurry of idol bullying scandals. Irene laid low for months and even now she still hasn't really been on social media and hasn't updated her instagram with the exception of her stories yesterday where she linked the mv. She did her period of reflection and did it well. Also during that time people we're still feeling bad for RV because their Psycho promotions were cut short due to Wendy's accident. Lastly the song choice they chose for this comeback. I know a lot of people thought it felt "safe" and "lackluster" especially compared to Psycho and the fact that they've been gone for almost 2 years but that's exactly what they needed to reintroduce themselves to the public especially with a red concept song. But it makes sense, of course they weren't going to come out with something divisive like Zimzalabim when they've almost been gone for 2 years. It's such a nice, easy, uplifting song to listen to yet still has the special Red Velvet charm. No wonder Korea is eating it up.

• I guess it was good that Irene instantly apologized and made a little break. Soojin should have done the same. Also, it's a public friendly song. If they came back with another disastrous zimzalabim or really bad boy, it would have flopped.

• Am I the only one who's not shocked about it?

No.

RED VELVET is well liked by Koreans. More than I think some ifans get. They literally represented South Korea in diplomatic relations with North Korea. Nothing changed in that regard.

Irene faced some criticism initially but it was handled well. And pretty much everyone moved on pretty quickly.

Then they put out a song people liked.

I don't think they were ever at risk of becoming a black sheep.

They are a prize goose.

• Some people seems to not understand how a scandal well handle by a company can avoid their artist to be hurt

everybody already move on from Irene scandal, because Sm handle it quickly and they didn't let things gets drags for days and left the time for Knetz to blow out of the proportion the scandal etc.... this is the worst case in handling a scandal because by doing this you give the pportunity to people to makes tons of wrongs hypothesis and came out with their own narrative that at the end the original story is completely different

SM let Irene meet with the person, apologize, they made a statement and gave her the time to reflect on herself

also let's not forget that people who came to her defense staff, ex stylist, normal citizens etc.... help to clean her image in front of the public

because if it was only this person who accuse her and nobody came to her defense, people would have only say " yeah she's a bad person "

seeing so many people came with their experience with irene, talk about it , and said how they meet her many times and was also the nicest person they saw

transform irene image from " the bitch who have a bad personality " to a human who have great and bad days like everybody in the eyes of the koreans

that's why this scandal didn't hurt her as much than other idols who faced scandal

✩We Born with the X-Gene✩

aespa Brand Concept Day Photoshoot Behind - Pantip aespa Brand Concept Day Photoshoot Behind - Pantip

• Why? It's only an insult if you see it as one. Cockroaches are great little guys. They're mostly hated and live in a hostile world where almost everything bigger than them they meet wants to kill them yet have survived for near enough 300 million years. Impressive.

I can tell they've been a big inspiration for you.

• I don't find it surprising that something like this is a surprise for people that argue against certain facets impacting the success of a comeback.

• Am I the only one who's not shocked about it?

I wasn't either. When they had the SMTown concert on YouTube, they trended immediately and their portion had the highest viewership. I know it was partly to see how Wendy looked/performed, but the interest has been there for months.

• I don't find it surprising that something like this is a surprise for people that argue against certain facets impacting the success of a comeback.

Trying to comprehend this post is like reading those complex logic chain questions in IQ tests.

But anyway.

Who?

I'm asking, who?

Who is it?

The one that heard Ring My Bell, saw the commercial performance, and decided, "Ah, yes. It was the scandal. No other reason."

Not to diss that song, it's less about its merits than what people wanted and expected from that group at that time.

The idea on AKP is that songs don't actually perform. A song doesn't do well. It's the group. It's always just the group. If a group is big, then all their songs will be hits.

Consider that mindset and now consider that we're talking about Red fucking Velvet :angryr:

• It was cryptic as I didn't want to trigger people and therefore stick around responding to said triggered comments haha

My comment is just alluding to how certain facets clearly impact the success of a comeback on average positively (such as the time between their last one) yet some people still use it as some big obstacle that a comeback spited to uplift the performance, otherwise it goes against other arguments previously made if they acknowledge it.

Saying that you also lost me on the Ring My Bell reference, all I can think off is Suzy's song from years ago. But yeah, so many facets go into how a comeback does.

• It's not that shocking. Usually, when groups take a long hiatus after scandals and already apologized, the GP will have forgotten a lot by then. It's the same for many groups before. One other part that plays a big part is the song. The song must be good. After a long break, people are curious to check that group again. IZ*ONE, Red Velvet, BIGBANG and SNSD did this.

Which was the kind of thing CUBE must have done to GIDLE instead of kicking Soojin out. They must apologize first, like Hyunjin did, he didn't admit his mistakes because he might have not done it, but you must have an apology, and then put the group into a long period of hiatus. CUBE fucked up.

:iloveyoub: BRIGHTWIN FOREVER :iloveyoub: SARAWATTINE FOREVER :iloveyoub: 2GETHER FOREVER :iloveyoub: 

Bom tấn đam mỹ 2gether "đánh úp" bản điện ảnh, cặp BrightWin sắp sửa cưới  nhau hoành tráng?

• Why? It's only an insult if you see it as one. Cockroaches are great little guys. They're mostly hated and live in a hostile world where almost everything bigger than them they meet wants to kill them yet have survived for near enough 300 million years. Impressive.

so you wouldnt mind living in a place infested with them?

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• no its not shocking

non fans canceling someone doesnt really mean anything at all

look at the people in this thread

they can protest till they are blue in the face

it wont matter

they were never fans to boycott

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• It was cryptic as I didn't want to trigger people and therefore stick around responding to said triggered comments haha

My comment is just alluding to how certain facets clearly impact the success of a comeback on average positively (such as the time between their last one) yet some people still use it as some big obstacle that a comeback spited to uplift the performance, otherwise it goes against other arguments previously made if they acknowledge it.

Saying that you also lost me on the Ring My Bell reference, all I can think off is Suzy's song from years ago. But yeah, so many facets go into how a comeback does.

Got you, and I agree in the case that you're talking about.

But in this instance, I could easily have seen it go the other way if the song was something like... Rookie or Umpah Umpah.

To use Twice as an example,

We know why More & More is their best-selling album.

But the song definitely isn't their best performing.

• The idea on AKP is that songs don't actually perform. A song doesn't do well. It's the group. It's always just the group. If a group is big, then all their songs will be hits.

That is true lol.

But how do people know the song is good in the initial days i.e. upon release? They do check out the song based on the brand and the group. Nothing wrong with that but isn't the initial performance of RV being discussed here?

Depending on how people like it or promos, the song will fall fast or stay steady.

• To use Twice as an example,

We know why More & More is their best-selling album.

But the song definitely isn't their best performing.

It had a good initial performance iirc, but not good longevity. Hype was definitly there but of course after that it's a matter of people liking the song or not. There was clearly hype and interest about this red velvet comeback based on how the song is performing currently, longevity will tell us if the song is well liked or not.

• That is true lol.

But how do people know the song is good in the initial days i.e. upon release? They do check out the song based on the brand and the group. Nothing wrong with that but isn't the initial performance of RV being discussed here?

Depending on how people like it or promos, the song will fall fast or stay steady.

It had a good initial performance iirc, but not good longevity. Hype was definitly there but of course after that it's a matter of people liking the song or not. There was clearly hype and interest about this red velvet comeback based on how the song is performing currently, longevity will tell us if the song is well liked or not.

Yes, of course it's possible that the song will sink like a stone in the next week. Don't think so, though.

I think, in response to the first post, while all of Red Velvet's songs have initially decentish performance, I don't believe all of them have excellent initial performance. That is guaranteed for some groups but Red Velvet is notorious for being inconsistent with their charting. Not just on the long term but in the short term. I think. I could be wrong. IT HAS BEEN A WHILE since they've been around!!!

Which leads me to the second post,

I think the song's going to have good longevity, but I have no rock-solid objective basis for that thought. I'll just say this. I honestly don't believe that Red Velvet got the same post-"hiatus" (this is an absurd thing in relation to Twice, I know) interest bump as More & More or How You Like That. But that's just based on what I've seen on these forums, which isn't indicative of anything at all in Korea.

• Yes, of course it's possible that the song will sink like a stone in the next week. Don't think so, though.

I think, in response to the first post, while all of Red Velvet's songs have initially decentish performance, I don't believe all of them have excellent initial performance. That is guaranteed for some groups but Red Velvet is notorious for being inconsistent with their charting. Not just on the long term but in the short term. I think. I could be wrong. IT HAS BEEN A WHILE since they've been around!!!

Which leads me to the second post,

I think the song's going to have good longevity, but I have no rock-solid objective basis for that thought. I'll just say this. I honestly don't believe that Red Velvet got the same post-"hiatus" (this is an absurd thing in relation to Twice, I know) interest bump as More & More or How You Like That. But that's just based on what I've seen on these forums, which isn't indicative of anything at all in Korea.

I don't think the song will drop like a stone. My only point was that the initial charting like rn is based on brand and hype and rarely the song.

Maybe both those songs were more divisive so they had more discussions on the forum? I have no clue lol

• I don’t think it’s shocking at all. What’s shocking is how pressed people are about it, especially in this thread - oh wait, this is akp. That’s not shocking at all.

:pepepizza:

..............................................................................................................perfume

1a8e5b24bf1c6ccaa1e5bd8ca4a707841e1abe65.gif31addbb43f8bc3a9c9e7fff75dd7f232c5839f1f.gifd752226429a326c0a6d90dfff22926c1961158d1.gif

• But it's not that shocking? :whatb:

Red Velvet has been on 1 of the longest hiatuses if not the longest hiatus that 1 of the top groups experienced during the past 5 years or so.

Reveluv and casual fans alike were practically craving for a new Red Velvet comeback.

Even more so seeing how interesting and distinctive each of the individual members have gone with their debuts: Irene & Seulgi's Monster and Naughty debut, Wendy's Like Water, Joy's Hello, every single one of them had their own personal, distinctive style with their own songs yet still typically Red Velvet and typically Irene/Seulgi/Wendy/Joy.

Which makes a comeback with the entire group even more something to look forward to.

Also, album sales have doubled and tripled for practically all groups since 2019, so RV's album sales were bound to see a massive increase.

As for RV's digital charting, let's not be too hasty, we know that since the Melon changes of last year, that charting has become more of a marathon instead of a sprint. So let's wait and see how Queendom will do in the weeks ahead.

'No more shall man have wings to bear him to paradise. Henceforth, he shall walk.'

SWJ1P.gif

• Of course I would. But I love hamsters, cats, puppies and all manner or more traditionally lovely things....but I wouldn't want to live in a house infested with any of those either...would you?

I mean you sound like you put them in such high regard that you wouldnt mind being crawled by them

each to their own I guess

• Funny seeing people come up with all sorts of explanations and shady excuses trying to explain this but you know perhaps the song is just good and Koreans like it?

RV have had many hits and misses but it’s pretty obvious Queendom is gonna continue charting well due to the fact it continues to rise as oppose to fall hard like RBB, Zimzalabim & Umpah Umpah did by the end of the first day.

I read a lot of the Korean comments on YouTube and Melon and many like it because it’s chill, easy to listen to, is catchy and has 2nd Gen vibes (which is super trendy among the public right now). It also has a very catchy hook that I’m 100% sure could go viral on TikTok if SM promotes them properly. I fully expected Queendom to do well, it’s the sort of music South Korea loves from their Red Side. (Even though I-fans hate it lol). I’ve seen many Koreans call it the 2nd Russian Roulette in terms of the song’s addictiveness.

• This thread contains 10 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!