Posts by stan12345

I mean, I could be wrong.

The only other explanation is that this is just Cry For Me pt.2, IE, not a serious release at all.

I feel that western labels were seeing how much money kpop fans can bring in looking at BTS and RR wanted to jump on the bandwagon. Twice are the 3rd most popular kpop group worldwide so were an easy choice.

But what I also feel BTS did, which others don't have in the US, is show immense fandom power. BTS fans promote BTS as well as anyone which is probably a labels wet dream. Kpop fans are so involved that I can imagine labels saw that and thought they don't need to put in that much effort/time/money for promotion or just the general running of things. Nearly every kpop group on a US label has awful promo there yet they get decent results through mass organised fandom power. But that's not enough for 99% of groups to even make a dent in the market.

I just find the whole topic silly.

I do to - I just think it sticks out in kpop/South Korea as an issue in general because they mostly pull out braids for a specific aesthetic and it's definitely an association they hold with more hip/urban elements. Lisa seems to be the one that mainly gets braids at BP? and you can tell why with the image they want her to have within the group.

The issue with braids in kpop I find is that they normally get put on artists when they want them to look more "hip-hop". It's the connotation that kpop has associated it with it 95% of cases as much as people want to disassociate from race/cultures.

If BP/any kpop group put out a ballad song in the MV what are the chances anyone would be wearing braids? If it's a Thai thing how often do you see Lisa wearing braids? Even here, for her title she didn't have them but you have a song more western with mentions of twerking and whatnot and they decide to go for the braid aesthetic.

I'm not very PC at all but the connotations SK/kpop hold is what makes it stick out

Maybe YGE knows the truth - Koreans will never support a Thai idol. Even one that is literally as PERFECT as you can be. The most popular idol globally, with the best all around talent, who is a literal angel offstage. Koreans never even bothered to listen to her song ONCE. Look at the difference in initial ULs between Rose and Lisa.

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

She just had the least going for her solo for SK performance.

Jennie's solo couldn't have come out at a better time as D4 blew up, she became viral on Running Man, was in demand everywhere and became a permanent member on a variety for a while as well. It was the perfect storm for a solo debut in 2018 and the 1m UL's in the first 24 hours shows that.

Rose being the more musically inclined and the first solo since Jennie in SK (huge hit), on top of the first BP associated release since LSG (another huge hit) would have given it an initial boost as well.

I haven't been following Rose's performance but a quick check says it was nothing too much so Lisa's solo in SK probably had the least momentum/hype attached to it (also her not being Korean) which looks to be reflected in the charts.

It was decenetly close to breaking the 24 hour record for kpop groups but didn't

BST got 6.34M first day while TT got 5.9M so close but didn't break it. (it was more in early 2017 when they were breaking them literally a week or hours after each other lol)

Yeah the 24 hour one it didn't but a lot of the milestones it did for example a 100m. Think it had the 200m/300m ones as well for a bit.

The records were changing every comeback for a bit.

https://www.so ompi.com/article/932433wpp/twice-breaks-yet-another-youtube-record-tt-reaching-100-million-views

Twice only came onto Spotify nearly two years after TT came out (though they would probably sill get less I'm curious how it would have fared due to how viral it was in SEA/EA). It was also breaking BST's youtube records back then as I recall that going back and forth between Twice/BTS for a while.

Twice's rookie year ended up with them having the biggest song in SK, the biggest kpop song in Japan which was also viral over a lot of E/SE Asia (and reigniting interest back into the market giving them a base in which they would dominate the 3rd gen there for the next 2 or so years), the highest placed group on Gallup in 2nd, TT broke and held multiple kpop youtube records and the 5th best selling album of the year on Gaon only behind 2 BTS/EXO albums selling nearly 4 times more than the next GG (and more than every BG bar two obviously).

Even ignoring the relative aspect as kpop is much bigger now internationally it only becomes a conversation if their new comeback is a smash hit and takes them way beyond SK.

Well, yes? She can speak fluent Korean. Her two group appearances on Knowing Bros gave the channel their highest rated YouTube clips. I think her crab dance clip is still their most viewed video. So there's no way shows wouldn't want her.

I'm not asking about the shows wanting her - it was more is she the kind of person that would be fine to do Korean varieties on her own/would want to do that.