[discussion] is featurism the reason some people did and still do call namjoon ugly?

• i've recently come across some interesting youtube videos about racial topics and how they are prevalent in a lot of our current media and it just really got me thinking.

pasted-from-clipboard.png

there was a time where it was sort of "accepted" by the kpop community at large that nsmjoon was not an attractive person. that was the popular opinion that even some armys would perpetuate. even today, many people who are not fans of bts or solo stans of other members have no problem proclaiming he's "ugly". (btw i think there's a difference between someone not being your particular type and not attractive to YOU, but calling people flat out ugly, or acting like its a fact they're ugly is something more deeply rooted)

anyway namjoon posted this picture today where he looks just gorgeous imo

EvTHe4DXEAErSwC?format=jpg&name=small

and it made me think. he has features that are deemed "less" attractive than a lot of the"standard" kpop visuals

-single eyelids

- "small" eyes

-nose wide at the base

-tip of nose "flat"

-"big" lips

-asymmetrical face

(none of these things are actually unattractive feature on their own tho per se)

and i can't help but wonder if this all stems from an inherent bias against certain more "common" combinations of asian features. bc even comparing namjoon to some of the widely accepted attractive members of bts, jimin and jin still both have single eyelids and thick lips but jin has a more pronounced crease above his eyes and and his eyes are bigger, while jimin's eyes have a unique curve that wings out on the end that people find conventionally "sexy" or "exotic". the thing that both of the members do share that is completely different than namjoon are noses which fit a "worldly" beauty standard. jimin's nose is very small, and jin's nose bridge is a straight slope and the tip of his nose protrudes outwards instead of being flat. also while both members have thick lips, their mouths are small while namjoon's mouth is considered "large".

i'd be interesting to hear people's thoughts on this.

who's your favorite artist?

• It's hard for me to determine if he's ugly or not. But he's the most 'unique'. The first time I saw BTS he was the only one I could instantly recognize. I actually used him to know if a group photo was BTS or not.

• I don't want to call out any idols, this pertains for any idol.

It's society's standard on what people are being influenced to deem certain features as visually appealing, and some to be less visually appealing. Beauty standards are socially constructed, and these changes depending on the social interaction between people in different times or different societies.

This isn't just a KPOP thing. You see these issues in places like workforce, whereby society's perception of beauty affects your job or chance of being hired for example.

• "No people born ugly in the world. It's just that we are born into a judgemental society"

"There is beauty in each & every thing in the world. It's just that Not everyone has the eye to see it".

- President Kim Namjoon.

And the vile thing I have seen " According to standard".... Dude what do you think the standard you are preaching about as an Europian, Asian does give any sh*t about that? Or the standard you are preaching about as an Asian, European gives any sh*t about that?

If you want to say ppl ugly, say that according to their behaviour. Your face has been grafted by Almighty. To label you according to that, the dumbest thing.

Your behaviour is what you mould by yourself, the actual thing to judge whether you are beautiful or Ugly.

No matter how ethereal you look, your manners are hell. For me, you are the ugliest.

And yes, Namjoon is beautiful. When he smiles, I don't ought to see how symmetrical his face looks but the honest vibe I got from that.

• I suppose it's that even after the idol makeover he remains quite unconventional looking. His facial proportions are off, more balanced now than they used to be, but still off.

He has tons of stans who find him hot though, so who cares. Every idol has people saying they're ugly. No-one is immune from that. Even the ones who immediately come to mind as most attractive still get called names. Even Jisoo has been called ugly in her life - by her own family too! Just don't worry about it.

• Each person has an opinion but I think it is unnecessary to keep calling someone "ugly"

수많은 알 수 없는 길 속에
    희미한 빛을 난 쫓아가
    언제까지라도 함께 하는거야
    다시 만난 나의 세계

12668-61ba36d0-1a79-4dad-a89c-517c054a0bea-gif

BlackPink SNSD Twice

• I don't really see these supposedly less attractive features. I find many idols with some or even all of those features to be attractive, it all depends on the individual and the way they carry themselves.

That being said, I have always found RM to be attractive, in fact the most attractive member in BTS. He

• I don't need set standards to determine if someone is attractive or not. I can't even consider any kpop idol ugly, all of them seem beautiful to me. And that includes Namjoon too, I find him incredibly handsome. Especially in combination with his character and artistry.

• He doesn’t fit Korean beauty standard or the beauty standard of most East Asian countries (correct me if I’m wrong). That why a lot of Kpop fans have a go at him. Why the beauty standard is as it is I don’t really dare theorise about but I’m sure more qualified people have done research on the subject.

Personally I’ve always found him very attractive. He’s the third most attractive member in BTS, almost tied for 2nd.

• I think all societies have their own standards for beauty but truly for each individual it's all about taste that being said I do think RM is handsome (maybe because he has a nice voice and is tall? also he looks very cool) and I am sure tons of army or even non-army think he is handsome, in the end everyone has different taste :(

• Was this post really necessary op? :whatr: he posted a hot selfie and his fans are enjoying it

"No people born ugly in the world. It's just that we are born into a judgemental society"

"There is beauty in each & every thing in the world. It's just that Not everyone has the eye to see it".

- President Kim Namjoon.

Joon never said the first quote, it's a fandom myth

and I've never heard the second one but maybe he did say it, not sure. But it doesn't sound like him

• Namjoon is the most attractive person in BTS to me and my taste is immaculate so there. :wellr:

But seriously when people use the word "ugly" to describe someone it makes my skin boil because they themselves may be considered "ugly" by another beauty standard or their very own they are using to judge. :rolleyes:

So what now. How's your feelings now? :S:-)

• I can understand him not being your preference but nobody can objectively look at him and call him “ugly”. He’s cute af. And don’t sleep on his sex appeal sweeties.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

WHEN HE STARTS GRINDING-

CHILE PLS.

:cryingr:

• Meh. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I wouldn't say he's ugly but he isn't to me the most Good looking attractive/hott guy there's plenty more who would top that list. That said he isn't bad looking at all. The same goes for all the BTS members sure they are number one for their talents not their looks lol they are all good looking guys but there's many more in the industry that would have them beat in the looks department.

• RM is the best looking member of BTS for me, he's always been cute even during their debut era, for me . In the end, it all comes down to preference

don't really know how to define it well but he has this strong ,cute and hot aura at the same time which makes his visuals really unique

• Yes, he was called unattractive when they were nugu. I don’t even know why. My personal opinion is that he looked better then than during some recent eras. I’m sure he doesn’t care because the sad reality is, that money and fame has made him 1000X more attractive now. I’m sure he is getting more romantic attention than he can handle.

• Was this post really necessary op? :whatr: he posted a hot selfie and his fans are enjoying it

Joon never said the first quote, it's a fandom myth

and I've never heard the second one but maybe he did say it, not sure. But it doesn't sound like him

Joon said 1st quote on "Unicef speech". You should better check it. It inspired People that's why it is used so much.

The 2nd quote was said on one interview on mnet by Joon.

In term of BTS's quote, I can never make any mistakes. Even about their lyrics. The reasons why I am an Army.

Other Army's 1st listened to their music then become fans.

Me at 1st listened to their Speech then become their stans then listened to their music.

• I don't mind it if people say that he isn't handsome to them as I often don't find that handsome idols that other people think they are visuals. It's a matter of personal preference after all.

But, as Namjoon biased, I often find it sad he has been made fun of for his looks so many times.

I personally think he is a handsome man and he is getting even more good looking growing older.

• I think he is the less 'idol' looking if that makes sense ? Don't get me wrong, idols are beautiful, but they all have the same brand of 'prettiness' I would say. He was also attacked among korean kpop fans because his skin is 'darker' than usual for idols I guess.

Namjoon is the most unique looking, though I don't think anyone can say he is ugly. Like, come on. He is gorgeous.

Weirdly enough I feel like he is seen as more attractive by western audiences, lol.

• Joon said 1st quote on "Unicef speech". You should better check it. It inspired People that's why it is used so much.

Nope. Joon never said that. It's something that got started way back in the fandom and has kept spreading for some reason. There's beautiful quotes he actually said that no one knows, but everyone has heard this fake quote

His UN speech is definitely quotable tho

is any post on this website necessary? i just wanted to discuss a topic i found interesting.

:pepe-use-head:

• I think he is the less 'idol' looking if that makes sense ? Don't get me wrong, idols are beautiful, but they all have the same brand of 'prettiness' I would say. He was also attacked among korean kpop fans because his skin is 'darker' than usual for idols I guess.

Namjoon is the most unique looking, though I don't think anyone can say he is ugly. Like, come on. He is gorgeous.

Weirdly enough I feel like he is seen as more attractive by western audiences, lol.

Yes i've noticed Western audiences go gaga for Namjoon then V.

Maybe it's because he looks the most manly and has that leader/boss aura which helps.

• Namjoon was pretty much still a gawky adolescent when BTS started... and his styling was not exactly helping him. He always had poise and a charismatic aura that was very attractive. He is much more typically masculine than some of the other idols. Whether you like that or not is specific to your own taste.

I think he is aging like the finest of wines anyway, I think his features ARE actually very symmetrical and fine. His eyes are piercing and his smile is wide and honest. Plus he is tall and broad, with great hair and skin, which are all things that people tend to think of as conventionally attractive.

• This thread contains 12 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!