What's the point of having a great singing techniche and support if your voice color is boring?

• There are great singers with interesting and rich vocal tones but labeled with bad/neutral techniche and support.

Examples:

Jihyo - Bora - Jiyoon from gp999- Fu Yaning- Nayoung from lightsum - Ella from Pixy - Rosè . I love all these singers genuinely.

And there are other singers who have great support and techniche, but with vocal colors who don't stand out .

Not gonna give examples cuz you're gonna come for my neck. Kkk

Anyway there are people with amazing techniche and also great vocal colour like queen Wendy and queen Yechan from pink fantasy .

Just wanted to say this cuz some people love putting on a throne people with good techniche just to bash those who don't have good techniche . what's the point of being so perfect if you don't transmit anything? :P

• It does actually make a big difference. I love LOVE to see excellent technique and ability, particularly as I know the difference it can make to long-term vocal health… it’s a good and important thing to strive for. BUT, the thing that makes a vocalist connect with their audience is rarely technique - it’s emotive performance, or a unique sound.

I always knew as a singer, I was never going to be a successful frontwoman on any large stage, in spite of knowing that I was technically incredibly strong, because there was not enough unique vocal colour there. You can be trained and technically excellent, but end up, like me, with a ‘blending’ voice, which is not going to move the vast number of people to really love you.

Look at Bob Dylan? absolutely horrific as a technical singer, but people adore that he had his own USP.

I’m not going to one hundred percent agree with you though, because those singers that naturally have a tone or emotive ability that moves people can virtually always find improvement with decent vocal training, or at the very least it will help their vocal health long-term. Just - those people have an initial leg-up on those others that are technically brilliant but less interesting.

• 100 percent agree. Vocal color or tone is far more important than technique. As long as the idol can actually hit the right pitch, i dont care if she shows good support or not.

Just listen to my girl Mori. Who cares about her technique when her tone is literally one of a kind.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• vocal color/tone/etc is important.

but also remember without proper technique a lot of singers with great voices end up being burnout and lose their range etc.

natural talent is always a huge factor, I mean only so many people have a certain vocal color. but if not properly maintained they can get into all sorts of issues.

• The thing is: vocal color is used a lot to excuse bad techniche, and to drag good singers. You used Wendy as an example of good techniche and vocal color, but back in the days she was dragged a lot by other ggs fans because they couldn't come to her techniche, so they started creating a narrative that Wendy vocal color isn't unique.

Taeyeon is my fave singer (not idol, she wasn't even my fave in SNSD, is more about voice), so a mix of vocal color and techniche is what makes the singer more listenable for me.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• i can listen to my own singing if i want to prefer someone who sounds like a dying goat. I dont need kpop for that. Good technique and boring tone all the way

• Tone and technique aren't mutually exclusive. You can have an "attractive" vocal color and a good technique at the same time. I think a good example of this is Wheein.

That being said, vocal color is subjective. Also some of the "unique vocals" are just stylistic choices. Good technique enables vocal color to come through. Ultimately what you consider more important is up to you (as long as the voice is not destroyed in the process). Personally I think balance is key.

• I kind of agree, there are a lot of singers I have heard have great technique, but their voices don't appeal to me, but there are a lot of singers that I heard have bad/average technique but appeal to me.

My preference is someone with average to good technique(mainly so that their vocals don't get damaged through the years) and a great/good voice color.

I want to connect with them, vibe with them. If you know what I mean.

I think this may be the reason why some of my fav singers are Ariana Grande(she doesn't really fit the good/average technique she has great technique but the reason I love her is because of her voice color).

Jihyo(her voice is just perfect, she is my fav in Twice)(I really want to list the rest of the twice members but then this list would be too long).

Rose(I love her voice, I find it really unique), Jisoo(I love her deep voice, she is my fav vocalist in BP)

Jungkook(that sweet voice is everything), V(his deep voice to be honest is one of my favs), Jimin(similiar to Rose, I like his unique voice) and my personal fav in BTS, Jin.

I have heard people call Jin the worst vocalist, a mediocre vocalist, etc but he is the one that stands out to me the most in BTS when it comes to vocals. I really don't know how to explain it. It's just perfection.

• I have heard people call Jin the worst vocalist, a mediocre vocalist, etc but he is the one that stands out to me the most in BTS when it comes to vocals. I really don't know how to explain it. It's just perfection.

Jin is a really interesting case because he is one of the Kpop stars who really was not MEANT initially to be a star vocalist, but has worked and worked on all aspects of his craft. In my mind, he stands out as one of the real success stories who had grown so much through consistent work. He still had a nasal tone, which for some people is not ideal, but then for other listeners his tone is something that really stands out.

What is undeniable is that no-one expected him to grow as much as he has, and now, out of so many pop performers who lip-sync all the time, he stands out as one with an incredible range, phenomenal stability and vocal strength. THAT is because he worked on technique. You see him, his band members and his vocal coaches comment on this and it so admirable. If he’d not really worked hard, he could have been seen as weaker, but actually he’s grown to become a powerhouse vocal for Bangtan. What a lad!!

• I have a terrible vocal color imo, I hate it so much. But I'd say I have good technique being in choir for about 6ish years (since 6th grade)

I used to be in chorus in 5th grade, hated it. Since I got into music(kpop, western pop) I really wanted to pursue singing. Which is why I am trying out for the school play. The problem, is whenever I record myself I sound freaking horrible, but when I don't listen to my singing through a phone it sounds not bad. Like it is actually decent.

• The simple fact that you weren't willing to name those who lack "vocal color' as you put it shows that even you understand that this is a subjective issue and not an absolute one

You kind of answered your own question

Because their Voice color isn't boring to everyone, it is subjectively boring to you

• I used to be in chorus in 5th grade, hated it. Since I got into music(kpop, western pop) I really wanted to pursue singing. Which is why I am trying out for the school play. The problem, is whenever I record myself I sound freaking horrible, but when I don't listen to my singing through a phone it sounds not bad. Like it is actually decent.

Ooh, good luck! <3 Yeah, choir is probably good for those pursuing a career in singing because you learn so much. The experience definitely isn't for everyone though. It's kind of tiring and requires quite a bit of skill, attention, and brain power.

OMG same...like I know that recording your voice (especially on a phone or low-quality computer built-in microphone) distorts your voice so you think you sound bad when you actually don't. And it lowers my self-esteem because I've been told I sing well but my vocal color sounds so horrible to me.

Same with me taking pictures. Like I hate looking at myself through a screen because it's not high quality and distorts your face in a weird way but in the mirror, I typically like the way I look.

ღ Happy Birthday / 10.18.2005 ღ

6f2600f9ca710c96c5228757df28dbe5d21c9ff1.gifv giphy.gif 84e36da9f196e239f5a3bc0d2103c8cce10f4953.gifv

• I used to be in chorus in 5th grade, hated it. Since I got into music(kpop, western pop) I really wanted to pursue singing. Which is why I am trying out for the school play. The problem, is whenever I record myself I sound freaking horrible, but when I don't listen to my singing through a phone it sounds not bad. Like it is actually decent.

I think most people, when they listen to their selves singing, hate it the majority of the time. Firstly, everyone sounds different when recorded, to the way their voice resonates in their own head. But you get used to it, after a while. Even if, when you listen to yourself, it sounds a bit weird to you, if you’re in tune, I bet you still sound great to the majority of people.

• Ooh, good luck! <3 Yeah, choir is probably good for those pursuing a career in singing because you learn so much. The experience definitely isn't for everyone though. It's kind of tiring and requires quite a bit of skill, attention, and brain power.

OMG same...like I know that recording your voice (especially on a phone or low-quality computer built-in microphone) distorts your voice so you think you sound bad when you actually don't. And it lowers my self-esteem because I've been told I sing well but my vocal color sounds so horrible to me.

Same with me taking pictures. Like I hate looking at myself through a screen because it's not high quality and distorts your face in a weird way but in the mirror, I typically like the way I look.

OMG, I hate taking pics for the same reason too! I could have people complimenting me for my looks on a day I decide to make myself look good and still look ugly as f in the mirror.

• Same... :pepecry:

My camera roll is full of my faves only like 2 pictures of me lol

omg what is with me and typos today??? This all happened after I quoted GoldenNini on a post she made typos on. I meant I look horrible in photos, not on the mirror!

There really is a curse going on!

• omg what is with me and typos today??? This all happened after I quoted GoldenNini on a post she made typos on. I meant I look horrible in photos, not on the mirror!

There really is a curse going on!

I feel you sis, I FEEL YOU 😤💪

I look horrible in photos lol but the mirror loves me and I love the mirror back LMAO

ღ Happy Birthday / 10.18.2005 ღ

6f2600f9ca710c96c5228757df28dbe5d21c9ff1.gifv giphy.gif 84e36da9f196e239f5a3bc0d2103c8cce10f4953.gifv

• Because not everyone will agree if a idol's vocal color is boring or not. But everyone who is unbiased will agree if a certain idol's technical skills are bad or not.

• Since everyone already went through the subjectivity of your claim and how having technical skills and an appealing tone aren't mutually exclusive, I just want to add that having a healthy technique is imo crucial to produce an optimal vocal tone. I believe anyone would sound their best if they know how to use their vocals correctly.

• vocal color or stylistic singers always 90% of the time end up ruining their voices. Look at SZA shes very stylistic and had issues with vocal nodules and at one point said she was never going to sing but she's better now. Look at Park Bom she ruined her voice with forced style vocal color because of YG. You have people with a great mix of technique and vocal color like Ning Ning and Winter.

• I always thought about this tbh for me vocal color> technique

as long as they can be stable an carry a tune it's fine

chen is the best vocalist in exo but I can't stand his vocal color

ningning has a good vocal technique but sometimes can be too high pitched for me

there are more examples but those are the ones off the top of my head

maybe that guy from nct too forgot his name

• You are onto something. What’s the use of having a great voice if you can’t resonate with others?

Because of how monotonous their vocal styles are, it gets soulless

• I don’t know if I should agree or not

Vocal color is subjective for example :

Rosé has a shitty vocal technique but her

voice is so unique I really love her tone.

Jihyo is a better vocalist than jeongyeon but I prefer jeongyeon tone better...

But seriously I will take the most extreme exemple I saw a lot of people shitting on Ariana because apparently “she had no flavor or no emotion“ when she was singing over some of the weakest vocalists in the industry like Selena or Taylor. I can tell some people are just dense or biased.

Good vocal technique is also important if you keep singing with a terrible technique one day your voice will suffer at one point you will never able to sing the same way.

• This thread contains 10 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!