[Warning: Rant| Drama| Might Hurt Some Feelings] Ideally How MAMA Could Have Been As Good As The Old Days

• A lot of people have problems with the lineup. I don't think it is a problem. The artists there were great had this been a regular Year End Show.

Itzy, Brave Girls, and Ateez were amazing. It's even better than "the good old MAMAs". Let's not kid ourselves.

Stray Kids, NCT and Wanna One were also nice.

SWF dancers and SMTM rappers were a great addition. Had this been a pre-covid concert, it would have been one of the best years.

Still why MAMA was missing the charm (mostly covid related but ideally if covid don't exist):

-Audience was very very small. Even school plays get a bigger audience. Had this been the regular crowd, it would have been amazing.

-Artists not being present. If the artists were seated like in previous years, the excitement would be over the roof. Imagine the SWF and SMTM craze. Reactions and interactions are like some of the best things about these shows.

-Lip-syncing

Usually, there are one or two artists doing it in past years' stages because of the type of the performance but this time most stages were lip-synced no matter how some fans like to deny it. Props to Brave Girls and Ateez for clearly singing live.

For me, I am very disappointed at aespa's stage in terms of arrangement, props, lip-syncing, and attitude. They literally did noting and thought that was enough for a MAMA stage. I am dumbfounded. For the first time, I hope they make articles criticizing that because I wish SM realizes that most fans were not satisfied and change their ways.

lt64IYu.gif

• Yumeku

Changed the title of the thread from “Ideally How MAMA Could Have Been As Good As The Old Days” to “[Warning: Rant| Drama| Might Hurt Some Feelings] Ideally How MAMA Could Have Been As Good As The Old Days”.
  • I guess it felt empty for some people since most of the prominent groups weren't there: BTS,EXO,BP,RV...this year's MAMA was for the most part a ''4th gen'' show.

But also the actual stages just felt bland,some of them didn't even differ from your usual music show performance.

• I've read Mys saying that SM is saving the good stages for their own SMTOWN concert.

That's even worse. They're setting themselves up for more disappointment. SM is clearly adapting this new weird behavior and trying to pass it as a standard. Not once have they changed the direction of their stages. It's always the same pre-recorded vocals it's crazy. MYs need to call it out because if they don't, it will stick forever. Had this been the girls' abilities, I wouldn't have complained because it's not something they can easily change. but they deserve to be criticized because they can do better imo.

lt64IYu.gif

• What went wrong imo was that some performances seemed like a regular MNet Countdown special episode.

Last year's MAMA didn't suck that much and we were still dealing with peaks of the pandemic.

Also, the lineup had no bigger act, like Twice, RV, EXO. Seniors' presence does make difference.

Edit: what I mean is, the show doesn't need to be like the "good old days". It only needs to be good.

• It felt like they didn’t put any effort because SM didn’t win big. If I was SM I wouldn’t have sent my artists. Lol. Instead of half assing like this.

Honestly them not showing up would have been better to deliver the message. Can't say it's just MAMA though. They're doing this format for all concerts. The crazy things they could do with aespa's concept are limitless yet they put no effort into it at all, as if they want it to suck to get publicty. The thing they actually did great was the SMCU episode. That shit was the best but then they for some reason canceled/put it on hiatus when it was supposed to be a whole season for this year. Sometimes I feel SM is allergic to positive feedback.

lt64IYu.gif

• Honestly them not showing up would have been better to deliver the message. Can't say it's just MAMA though. They're doing this format for all concerts. The crazy things they could do with aespa's concept are limitless yet they put no effort into it at all, as if they want it to suck to get publicty. The thing they actually did great was the SMCU episode. That shit was the best but then they for some reason canceled/put it on hiatus when it was supposed to be a whole season for this year. Sometimes I feel SM is allergic to positive feedback.

Oh I have not followed their concerts but I thought they would have high production value

One thing SM always did well was high production concerts/sets/performances.

It would be sad if they lost that.

• there was too much pre recorded parts

LAFBL0s.gif

let us gather around for the lord’s prayer:

Nævis we love you. You are the one who protected me when i was in trouble. MY victory, one SYNK DIVE. I know your sacrifices. Let’s meet surely after the resurrection.

Æmen

:pepe-pray:

• Stray Kids' performance was also mostly live especially 3racha, the others lipsynced some parts.

I totally agree that the problem wasn't the line up. I think the problem was the performance direction of most of them. They not only look like regular music shows' performances, It seemed the idols didn't play with their own strengths.

I will give aespa as an example. Every one knows their greatest talent is signing over dance performance. Yet, they lipsynced in a completely empty enormous stage to priorize dancing over singing. How does It make sense? Of course, they would be criticized. You don't see Mamamoo priorizing dancing over singing If they know in what they are better on, that's why they are always great.

They were mistakes that even 3rd gen idols could have done and would be criticized as much as the 4th gen idols for not fit the expectations of a award show performance.

Bankai: Minazuki

85e1d14897360f5af5426181e6b1e605126ab548.gifv

• Oh I have not followed their concerts but I thought they would have high production value

One thing SM always did well was high production concerts/sets/performances.

It would be sad if they lost that.

Oh no, not their personal concerts just typical promo stages. They still don't have a real concert. It is my last hope is to see a good production from SM.

I like NCT usual stages at Musicshows/festivals even lipsynced ones in covid years but when I saw their live concerts I was extremely shocked at the high production quality and even the members themselves performed 100xs better. So I get what you mean by that.

lt64IYu.gif

• There is a reason aespa's encore even with crappy mics no in-ear/backtrack is still a fan's favorite performance. The girls are more than capable to do great stage singing live. Not to mention their dancing isn't bad but the random choreography plays a big part. Their Black Mamba stage is perfect in terms of dancing IMO because the choreography is good and balanced. They just need to turn the mics on with good choreo. Include new things. Actually perform one of their bsides like all groups do. I hope SM or aespa realize this before it's too late and they're branded with it.

lt64IYu.gif

• There is a reason aespa's encore even with crappy mics no in-ear/backtrack is still a fan's favorite performance. The girls are more than capable to do great stage singing live. Not to mention their dancing isn't bad but the random choreography plays a big part. Their Black Mamba stage is perfect in terms of dancing IMO because the choreography is good and balanced. They just need to turn the mics on with good choreo. Include new things. Actually perform one of their bsides like all groups do. I hope SM or aespa realize this before it's too late and they're branded with it.

I always defend the girls about not singing live on Music Shows, because I think It's a waste of voice. But man, not even award shows they are allowed to showcase their amazing singing, It frustastes me a bit, because I really love their vocals.

And I agree with you the choreographies, apart from Black Mamba, don't value their potential at all.

Bankai: Minazuki

85e1d14897360f5af5426181e6b1e605126ab548.gifv

• I always defend the girls about not singing live on Music Shows, because I think It's a waste of voice. But man, not even award shows they are allowed to showcase their amazing singing, It frustastes me a bit, because I really love their vocals.

And I agree with you the choreographies, apart from Black Mamba, don't value their potential at all.

Karinas solo choreography was just insulting.... i cant believe SM used the same dude that did her knowing brothers choreography after the backlash it got :facepalm:

LAFBL0s.gif

let us gather around for the lord’s prayer:

Nævis we love you. You are the one who protected me when i was in trouble. MY victory, one SYNK DIVE. I know your sacrifices. Let’s meet surely after the resurrection.

Æmen

:pepe-pray:

• I guess it felt empty for some people since most of the prominent groups weren't there: BTS,EXO,BP,RV...this year's MAMA was for the most part a ''4th gen'' show.

But also the actual stages just felt bland,some of them didn't even differ from your usual music show performance.

I think some people feel like 4th gen idols aren't established (and experienced) enough to carry whole award show by themselves. After tonight I agree ngl, but hopefully it will get better.

• That's why I don't bother watching awards shows anymore, the performances are lacklustre imo and it's like the groups just can't be bothered being there. Some groups have been robbed of awards in the past eg, SJ in 2017 so for me they are just a total flop. They drag on way too long as well and like with most award shows, you usually have to wait until the tailend to see bias groups perform. I was disappointed with Aespa's performance tbh.

• I think it boils down to lack of stage presence of 4th gen groups with the exception of Skz and Ateez. It is what it is.

i think itzy ) especially ryujin) have good stage presence.

also when it comes to aespa i think if they sang live the stage presence would be better. their encore stage is still my favorite stage of theirs for a reason sigh.

• My opinion is that if MAMA wants to have an enjoyable show, they should learn how to treat the artists correctly, their record is not good and that not only makes the fans and audience not interested in the show, but also the artists won't care about the performance or not even attend

526d260695f1e6be7fc576a759a81ce9eccaa866.gifv8f41e2de19fd3e53503e1f9bbaecb661064e5000.gifv0a61d4ea7129206fb3db97ab12f606316444f603.gifv

I'm throwing you away for keeping me locked up

• Haven't seen GG performances as much.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

:pepe-life-support::pepe-life-support::pepe-life-support:

• I think it boils down to lack of stage presence of 4th gen groups with the exception of Skz and Ateez. It is what it is.

Disagree completely here. 80% of a good award show performance is down to the performance director/creative planning. Most idols are able to execute the rest.

SM is severely lacking here and seem to have not realised that music show performance is not the same as awards show performance. This is a longstanding issue with them. Itzy killed it and this was majority down to the performance director, similarly with BTS's past award show performances.

I hope that at some point SM decides to work on this because they are lagging behind other kpop companies in terms of this and their MV quality.... award shows like these are a great way to get new fans and they consistently miss out on the opportunity to cease the day.

• Technical things aside I think the awards have lost what made them special and set them apart from the year end shows like mbc gayo.. idk if it's covid or things just changed but one thing people all looked forward was the feeling it was like a big party for the groups, like each group would make their mini concert and the other celebrities would be their audience lol nowadays, much like mbc gayo, the idols perform just for fans, there's no interaction (I also blame fans for this) and some companies straight up stopped making effort or even sending their artists since they have similar or even better exposure from releasing things on their own channel.

• Aespa ‘s stage was a huge disapppointment , people are blaming it on SM but I genuinely think the girls deserve their own criticism , you don’t need back up dancers to have at least charisma , they lipsynced, facial expressions was just at level zero even Ning Ning who I thought for sure will eat had less stage presence than on the music show . Sm hasn’t had a gg that knows how to perform since SNSD, it might seem harsh but this just how disappointed I was

• SM is severely lacking here and seem to have not realised that music show performance is not the same as awards show performance.

They know, I remember watching Shinee's concert video and it's just so different. Part of me thinks it's just not their goal with the new groups to improve their stage presence, they'd rather focus on other things like visual+dancing which can be connected to their intention to make their artists severely inherent with their metaverse advances... if anyone disagrees feel free to quote me :p

• They know, I remember watching Shinee's concert video and it's just so different. Part of me thinks it's just not their goal with the new groups to improve their stage presence, they'd rather focus on other things like visual+dancing which can be connected to their intention to make their artists severely inherent with their metaverse advances... if anyone disagrees feel free to quote me :p

i dont get it

what relation does stage presence have to lore and metaverse?

• They know, I remember watching Shinee's concert video and it's just so different.

Concerts are way different though. Compare these stages by NCT 127 for example to their promo stages this year (I still like all NCT's Mushows because the dancing is great, but I loathe lip-syncing)

@2:21 my fav part </3

External Content youtu.be

besides the camerawork being better in CDs than lives, the performers go outside the box and enjoy the stage more in their own concerts.

lt64IYu.gif

Edited once, last by Yumeku ().

• i dont get it

what relation does stage presence have to lore and metaverse?

Imo it's just not their focus to make their artists stand out by their vocal/stage/performance abilities like in the past. I remember SM idols always overshadowed their concepts by their vocal range, personalities, dancing etc like you'd hear waaay less about EXO concepts than how good their vocal is but nowadays I hear way more about aespa and nct concepts than anything individual on the members. Might be a personal experience tho

• Aespa ‘s stage was a huge disapppointment , people are blaming it on SM but I genuinely think the girls deserve their own criticism , you don’t need back up dancers to have at least charisma , they lipsynced, facial expressions was just at level zero even Ning Ning who I thought for sure will eat had less stage presence than on the music show . Sm hasn’t had a gg that knows how to perform since SNSD, it might seem harsh but this just how disappointed I was

i watched their performances right now bc i genuinely thought it couldn't be as bad as you were making it out to be but what even is sm doing? they all looked completely disinterested and the stage was literally empty. they couldn't afford some props or something? did all the money go towards the giant snake????

ɪ

cf2178e469192fe5d3974a86c101545f41e74afb.gifv

• Thanks for the link!! Imo I think this kind of stage would be so good at awards and even these kind of songs are good choices, I just don't understand why they just not push this kind of performance anymore if they know how to do it... it brings way more attention in awards.

• Thanks for the link!! Imo I think this kind of stage would be so good at awards and even these kind of songs are good choices, I just don't understand why they just not push this kind of performance anymore if they know how to do it... it brings way more attention in awards.

They still do great award shows performances as well though

I mean there is this and I am shocked by it and still salty how I missed these great performances by not watching the full festival back then

lt64IYu.gif

• I think some people feel like 4th gen idols aren't established (and experienced) enough to carry whole award show by themselves. After tonight I agree ngl, but hopefully it will get better.

I don't know probably it is because of this pandemic or the line up is basically not enough to gather people attention. However, I do agree their stage presence and performance is still lack here and there. Again maybe because of this covid they're not used to all of this.

But, it is hard to not compare with mama 2016 where the third gen are dominating the line up. It is one of the best stage in mama history for me. The performance and the hype is everything.

• Speaking of SM's concerts

:pepe-cringe:

Please bring back passion, freedom and life to the stage. This obsession with the illusion of perfection is sucking the fun, sucking the whole life out of kpop, let idols make mistakes, let them sound out of breath and let them mangle the fuck out of the choreography. Let them improvise, have attitude and personality and be themselves. These are not dance crews meant to present perfect choreographies.

I'm so pissed off :pleading: and I think Aespa deserve criticism of their own. They ARE dull and lacking performers, the huge gap between their non existent charisma and Itzy's fire performance yesterday was painfully embarassing.

I think most newer groups are suffering from this malicious obsession with perfection, JYP is probably the least offender of all and that's why their groups still manage to consistently put on charismatic performances. But people who think this is an SM-only thing are fooling themselves. SM might be one of the worst offenders though, because they at least can debut technically skilled idols which makes it more frustrating watching them try to overwrite those skills with their overbearingly controlling ways.

• The lipsynch is really getting out of hand and I partly blame it for artist's lack of stage presence.

They're not singing and accordingly not really feeling the performance as a whole either. How can you truly get into it, if all you ever do is lipsynch and going through the movements. Some looked like I do at work when I'm preforming the same task for the hundredth time that week. It crushes your soul.

• This thread contains 17 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!