Just how is wonyoung more popular than Yujin

• okay hear me out...

Both come from the same company and from the same show..

Both are very pretty obv and fit standards of K-Beauty perfectly

Both have very tall and proportionate bodies

Both have similar ages

Both are talented but Yujin is easily a better vocalist and a better dancer

Both were pushed similarly

Not saying Yujin isnt popular but obviously, Wonyoung is way more popular.. why is that so? Is there some reason I am missing? I get very curious because even in personalities and variety Yujin seems better..

• especially with female idols it's prettier = more popular

you can be the least talented idol in your group, if you're the prettiest you'll still be the most popular

with male idols it varies more, though looks also play a role of course.

• Isn't it obvious? Wonyoung fits the visual standard more with her small face, white skin, and skinny body.

Yujin is pretty and more talented, but top-notch visuals are probably the biggest attractor in kpop.

Not hating on Wonyoung either, it's just the way kpop is.

especially with female idols it's prettier = more popular

you can be the least talented idol in your group, if you're the prettiest you'll still be the most popular

with male idols it varies more, though looks also play a role of course.

wonyoung has the cute and innocent look

yujin has a more sexy look that fans of produce probably aren't all that into

woah this is shocking to me since Yujin seems to have bigger eyes and lips which seem to fit korean standards better?

She also has a more curvy and healthy figure and I always thought she was more pretty

I guess its just me..

• wonyoung has the cute and innocent look

yujin has a more sexy look that fans of produce probably aren't all that into

tbh I followed pd48 actually but until the last episode the difference in their popularity didnt seem that big.. almost negligible.. sakura was way more popular and talked about in general but in the finals wonyoung suddenly shot up top the 1st place even she was shocked cause in last two rounds she wasnt even in top 5

her ranlks were never as stable as one would expect one to be that popular to be..

infact Yujin had better ranks in the first half of the show

• WY was very popular among fans during IZONE days. Meanwhile Yujin on the other side was a bit lowkey. Well thats a given because WY was the center of the group. And she was extremely good at it. While Yujin is very talented, she doesnt stand out that much in everything she does. Like Jo yuri was the main vocal, Chaeyeon was the Main dancer.

And after they disbanded, You can tell that the company is pushing WY a little bit more because I think she will be the new center/face of the group that they will probably form in the near future. Yujin is busy with her own work, being an MC.

Well, thats what I think.

• WY was very popular among fans during IZONE days. Meanwhile Yujin on the other side was a bit lowkey. Well thats a given because WY was the center of the group. And she was extremely good at it. While Yujin is very talented, she doesnt stand out that much in everything she does. Like Jo yuri was the main vocal, Chaeyeon was the Main dancer.

And after they disbanded, You can tell that the company is pushing WY a little bit more because I think she will be the new center/face of the group that they will probably form in the near future. Yujin is busy with her own work, being an MC.

Well, thats what I think.

Did wonyoung get any solo gig or work more? like cfs?

Cause I know Yujin is MC for popular music show..

I do know wonyoung opened her instagram recently and everyone has been going crazy by her posts every week...

• I prefer WY to YJ but that's my personal preference so i cannot speak for others...

WY is cuter...and I think as others have said her face fits the standard more...

• Yujin might be better than Wonyoung in dancing and singing, I don't know, but Wonyoung has better center skills.

Wonyoung's facial expressiveness is 1 of the best in K-pop in its range and flexibility and in her control and mastery over it, as she already showcased in the PD48 show.

It's not for nothing that Bae Yoon-jeong, 1 of the harshest, most critical jury members around, called Wonyoung the 'perfect center'.

It's not often that Bae Yoon-jeong gives compliments, but when she does like she did with Wonyoung and Chowon, they carry weight.

Yujin's doing great, but Wonyoung has that potential 'it girl' vibe, and Koreans seem to really like her.

'No more shall man have wings to bear him to paradise. Henceforth, he shall walk.'

SWJ1P.gif

• I like them both (Wonyoung obviously my bias tho) to the point I think that it's a 1 in a million chance that Starship was able to secure two perfect trainees that match each other so well. Imagine if we can get two more trainees in the same league as Wonyoung and Yujin to form a group? Wouldn't they be unstoppable???

*cough cough* to actually answer the question of op, while both Yujin and Wonyoung are pretty, Wonyoung fits the ideal beauty standard much more. Koreans will generally always prefer thin and pale to tan with a healthy figure (unfortunately, that's just their standards for beauty). And because this is Kpop, how talented you are isn't really as important so much as being able to stand out (Wonyoung is very good at this especially when she performs). While Yujin is a better dancer and vocalist, when compared to even Minju, Chaewon, Yena, Yuri, Chaeyeon, she actually didn't stand out all that much. I don't think she was necessarily one of the least popular members, but she was more toward that end of the spectrum if I'm being honest. It wasn't until she got rid of her bangs (fringe), centered in Sequence, and then later got that MC gig did she start to capture a lot of attention. Panorama was actually her era. It's a shame really, that most of her potential in Iz*One wasn't utilized until the very end though, when they were disbanding. Had Iz*One some more time, she definitely would have had her "Chaewon break out moment".

• I would guess it's because WY has cuter visuals.

YJ is still very pretty and I think she's going to have a dead sexy glo-up once she's mature. IMO she's much more talented than WY as an idol.

• Wonyoung has a baby face and the body of a supermodel. Her ridiculously long legs make her look like one of those CG characters from Korean video games. That combination is just super rare and makes her stand out in any room she's in. Yujin is also tall and pretty but her overall looks just isn't as super unique and stand-out as Wonyoung's. Hence the difference in popularity. Visuals matter the most in kpop unless we're talking about Ailee-levels of singing skills.

(also that super unique combination of visuals is what makes Wonyoung more popular than Minju even though a lot of people consider Minju to have the prettiest face in IZ*One)

• Yujin isnt a visual at all, while Wonyoung can look amazing. Unfortunately, this is the difference, and why Wonyoung might be the one with the most potential in terms of overall success after Izone. Starshit clearly thinks so anyway.

• initially yujin was more popular than WY in earlier produce 48 era.

Yujin even spot rank 2 in early episodes.

But one 'little accident' (or we can call it mnet evil drama), she began dropped her rank slowly.

Otherwise, WY gain popularity after she became center in one mission. Thay said she had many facial expressess that important to be gg center.

I agree yujin is more better singer and better dancer than WY. even for wizone, yujin is one of the all round member in izone. But i do agree with other users in here that WJ is more fit for center. So (maybe) naturally center attracts more people than most other members in group.

• Why you pitting them against each other? I love both girls and both girls love each other. IMO there both aces and have really big potential. Cant wait for their new gg.

• Both are very pretty but Wonyoung definitely has that look that captivates and draws in the attention. I still remember seeing her for the first time next to Hyunjin (who is very good looking of course) and being immediately kind of floored by her innocent beauty. Yena is my favorite from IZ One but Wonyoung is a top tier Korean visual with massive superstar potential (as mentioned previously).

External Content m.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Why you pitting them against each other? I love both girls and both girls love each other. IMO there both aces and have really big potential. Cant wait for their new gg.

No one is pitting them, I said in my post that I wanna know I am curious cause I dont get it, please read OP carefully..

I said there is no need to reply if you are gonna come and cry here

• As a Yujin stan I admit that Wonyoung just has a more naturally captivating aura.

Like even my friends who are not into kpop visuals at all admitted that she’s stunning.

It is what it is and I don’t think there’s a reason to be bitter about it, because Wonyoung deserves all the hype she gets.

I‘m just glad Yujin is finally being acknowledged for the talented person she is.

IZ*ONE days were really frustrating in that regard.

• Returning to this from another thread lol.

I also want to add that it’s a matter of preferences.

WY seems to appeal more to general audiences. Imo it has a lot to do with the way she carries herself.

Most of the time one can’t help themselves but love her

• Just the one and only reason: Marketing

If you were with them since Day 1, (even before Produce 48), you would know they were always seen as equally pretty by korean beauty standars and everyone in general, both joined Starship around the same time, Yujin joined 2 moths before Wonyoung and Yujin's visuals were more popular, she is well known for looking like an actress and Starship saw more potential in her in the beggining, so she had lots of job's opprotunities as a model for sponsors and as an actress for music videos, she even worked with Cha Eunwoo (best male visual in kpop industry) before debuting, and already had a fanbase before Produce 48.

Sadly despite being a maknae too, she was never really seen nor treated as one by the public, she always looked "too mature" and was "too skilled"(which as someone who was always there with them as a fan, I can say I saw how many stans that were around same age as them, were always jealous of Yujin's skills and workethic, she literally has the record of the youngest participant ever in King of Masked singer, and would either ignore her or do very passive agressive comments towards anything she did, saying she "was trying hard to get the spotlight with her talents")unlike Wonyoung whose cute face makes her look younger than her real age and lacked skills, but was very cute and was a good english speaker, so she could be "the 2nd Somi", so her "child image" suited her a lot, and was very relatable for preteens and young students with average lifes since she talked a lot about her school and academic achievements, unlike Yujin who talked more about her life as an idol (which as a young girl, other teens would watch it and get jealous of her beavuse they dont find her relatable)

17yo Wonyoung:

175914177-wonyo

17yo Yujin:

yujin

(It doesnt which pic you use, Yujin always looks her real age or older, more mature and Wonyoung looks like a 13yo for heer baby face and feautures)

Young maknaes always have existed but none of them as successful as Wonyoung, because most young maknaes already look "too old" (Yujin) or are "too skilled" (Yujin) so people sometimes forget they are maknaes too and "lose the charm of getting beloved and popular easily", NI-KI from Enhypen and back then I-land is the perfect example, he was only 14, but looked and acted older than his real age with all his exprience as a dancer, other trainees saw him as threat for being a dance prodigy that had already achieved so many things as a kid (was Shinee backup dancer, passed an audition for Michael Jackson's coreographer when he was 9yo).

So with this I hope I explained well how their totally different images were built through their 4 years of career, Yujin having a more professional, mature, and threatening image to insecure mfs out there that cant help but see a young girl doing better at her career and being more professional than how their lazy existence will ever do.

While Wonyoung is "the nation grandaughter" who has a lot of “grandma” or even “unnie” fans from when her honeybee fancam went viral. she has a “younger sister” or “daughter” image in korea which can be seen with how her saying “ungnie” which is just a cuter way to say “unnie” went viral on k-twt here.

Yujin image and reputation is less appealing, more intimidating and easily makes others insecure, so she is less popular.

New kpop stans arent jealous of Wonyoung real self, they are just jealous of who they think Wonyoung is, old kpopstans arent really jealous of Wonyoung, unlike new kpop fans, since they see her in totally different ways, as an old fan I never really expected she could get envied, Yujin was always the one kpop lazy fans were jealous of, she is just so profesisonal at what she does that anybody could find her intimidating and feel insecure.

Some old fans take some much pride on not getting jealous of Wonyoung since they know who she really is, so they love defending her and telling othr that false idea they have of Wnoyoung is real and they are just jealous and insecure of her while they arent(I mean exactly, her fans arent jealous of her because they know she is mid, and that is the reason they like her so much, she doesnt make them feel insecure, because she is not even that pretty unlike other idols like Tzuyu and Minju, while new kpop fans who just joined kpop world in 4th gen think she is IT, because they always see comments and posts overpraising her that they dont relaize it is overpraising, they just think it is truth that she is IT so they are jealous).

The best example for this is her visuals, they always say "you are just mad and jealous she is so unreal, ethereal the prettiest and most perfect girl in the world and you are ugly", Wonyoung is very cute but if you are an old fan that has been with them since the begginning, you know she isnt a visual and she even used to get bullied by knetizens for her looks, saying she was ugly in real life and makeup makes miracles with her, that she had ugly eyes, a rectangle body shape with no hips or defined waist, an ugly nose or that her cheeks were too fat.

She doesnt really fit koren standars, but in Korea sometimes charm is more important than being actually pretty, like Jennie from Blackpink who is well know for being sexy and her badass image, but kenitzens bully her saying she has an ugly nose, ugly chin or that her cheeks are too fat.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    (visual ranking of Izone according ot beauty standars, Wonyoung was never in hte Top three)

(izone members choisng who is the prettiest member nobody mentions Wonyoung)

(Produce 48 visual ranking, Wang Yiren(Everglow) and Kim Minju as the prettiest ones, the Huh Yunjin (current memebr of Lesserafim)

so as an old fan it is werid for me when I see everyone saying they feel insecure when they see Wonyoung beacuse she is insanely beautiful... like I would have expected it from Minju, not from Wonyoung, but unlike me most of her old fans enjoy and contribute with this new fake image of her since they pity her, similar to Brave Girls, everyone loves you and puts you on a pedestal if they see getting attention you had never gotten before and keep using it, as a way to make her haters mad, but inside the only reason they arent jelaous of her it is because they dont really see her as her haters ee her.

I personally find celebrities like her a little weird, she is like korean Sakura Miyawaki, like if you dont know her story you either really think people put her on pedestal for exisitng when she is not even very pretty nor talented (if everything was related to beauty or talent, Minju, Hyewon and Chaeyeon would be insanely popular), or you really start believing all the overpraising she gets from her fandom that is already there, so you become a fan too and go with the flow, in Sakura's case her story is a little odd since she has lots of scandals, but still her photoshoots sell better than gg albums, but I wasnt there as a fan of hers when her career started so I dont know.

• let's not ignore WY's perfect PS! I'm generally not a fan of PS and I have a lot of critical arguments against it in kpop, but you have to admit that whoever did her face work was an artist. The girl was beautiful before, but somehow her ps embellished it in the best way... she just got the next level visually wise and that was essential for her to become the it girl she is today

• This thread contains 99 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!