Is Stray Kids bad representation for K-Pop in the West compared to BTS/BP/Newjeans?

• I’ve seen many locals dissatisfied with Skz performance and said Newjeans should have gone instead. Do you think Skz is ruining Kpop’s good reputation in America? Especially what BTS and Blackpink has done to help Kpop get a good image.

External Content x.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

External Content x.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

IMG_1878.jpeg

External Content x.com

Performance:

External Content x.com

• bbb988

Changed the title of the thread from “Is Stray Kids bad representation for K-Pop in the West?” to “Is Stray Kids bad representation for K-Pop in the West compared to BTS/BP/Newjeans?”.
  • The locals had to actually defend them from K-pop stans, the real thing that is a bad representation for K-pop

And many more

Bankai: Minazuki

85e1d14897360f5af5426181e6b1e605126ab548.gifv

Edited once, last by Minazuki ().

• Why do k-pop fans have to make up false narratives to cope with someone they don't like doing well. It's so bizarre. From forcing this "locals don't like them!" narrative despite both locals and US media PRAISING them and taking interest in them from the performance, to even making fake videos of other artists to make it look like they weren't impressed with them (when in reality they enjoyed it).

Well, I guess this shows how popular they've gotten, because if they weren't there wouldn't be so many that instead of caring about their faves, are dedicated to trying to force people that take an interest in SKZ to not like them and editing fake videos..

Like someone already said, what gives kpop such a bad reputation are these insane weirdo fans, that will literally go out of their way to harass random people for saying they added S-Class to their playlist :skull:

• This whole talk about “bad Kpop representation” screams western validation!

Stray Kids is just as much Kpop as BLACKPINK, BTS etc.

Those who hate Kpop will continue to do so anyway.

And what’s wrong with that? Isn’t that what every kpop group want? To be validated by the US market, biggest music industry in the world.

Vachirawit “Bright” Chivaaree can get it every day all day all week every month all year for a lifetime.

4ca3c94a140c38326868f624c2d5d1b062af8138.gifv

• I'm reasonably sure that half of these people who are "locals" on Twitter are actually kpop stans on their non-kpop accounts. You can tell pretty easily by how they write.

(ngl I don't think the song is very good but that's just my personal taste)

• This whole talk about “bad Kpop representation” screams western validation!

Stray Kids is just as much Kpop as BLACKPINK, BTS etc.

Those who hate Kpop will continue to do so anyway.

Isn't western validation the point? Why are they promoting in the west if they don't care about it?

Why do kpop groups release albums in Japanese? They want japanese market too.

Also, bts and bp sound is western gp friendly. But they need to either sing fully In english or have a few parts in korean. Bts only got radio support for their english songs. Look at jk's success. Gp friendly song and in english.

Kpop groups will always be popular within their fandom but if they want more they need to make a compromise and make their sound more digestible to broader audience

• Since various groups are on hiatus or will soon be, its Twice, Seventeen and Stray Kids.

They are the only ones really doing "many" big concerts.

Aespa, NJ and LSF will in 1-2 years, but in the next 12 months the top three will be the 3 established groups who have been around for 5 to 7+ years.

• I'm reasonably sure that half of these people who are "locals" on Twitter are actually kpop stans on their non-kpop accounts. You can tell pretty easily by how they write.

(ngl I don't think the song is very good but that's just my personal taste)

Agree. Lot of kpop fans cosplay as western fans. Armys too. Locals are almost never locals. As you said, it's the language they use.

I know nothing about sports. If I tried to write something about it i wouldn't have a clue how and what to write, i would embarrass myself.

• These people don’t give a fuck about Kpop and how it is seen they are about shitting on other groups for the sake of their group. Something BTS, BP, or NJs have never said they agree with or want their fans to do. You can no like a groups music but objectively Stray Kids did a good job and had a good performance. If the song just isn’t your fit that’s fine but exaggerating and saying they make Kpop look bad is just dumb as fuck and your own artists you like would disagree with you.

• These people don’t give a fuck about Kpop and how it is seen they are about shitting on other groups for the sake of their group. Something BTS, BP, or NJs have never said they agree with or want their fans to do. You can no like a groups music but objectively Stray Kids did a good job and had a good performance. If the song just isn’t your fit that’s fine but exaggerating and saying they make Kpop look bad is just dumb as fuck and your own artists you like would disagree with you.

Yeah, but people would love if Twice or Newjeans performed. So they should just invite more girl groups instead of Skz

• They sound dumb going on and on about “wESteRn VaLIDatIoN” when that’s just what every group wants, success in other markets. Weird how kpop stans always have something to say about kpop groups promoting in the west when they don’t have these same essays for kpop acts promoting or singing in Japan and other places etc.

It’s giving koreab** energy

• They sound dumb going on and on about “wESteRn VaLIDatIoN” when that’s just what every group wants, success in other markets. Weird how kpop stans always have something to say about kpop groups promoting in the west when they don’t have these same essays for kpop acts promoting or singing in Japan and other places etc.

Breaking into the western market doesn't have to require a group to lose their sound/culture in order to pander to their likes. The whole point is to normalize that identity.

It's the same way western artists don't change their sound when they perform in other countries - they don't have to lose their sound to become palatable. They just are.

you have to admit though that promoting in japan is much more normal than promoting in the west. jpop and kpop, while both being very different, have a lot more similarities than music in the west.

• Breaking into the western market doesn't have to require a group to lose their sound/culture in order to pander to their likes. The whole point is to normalize that identity.

It's the same way western artists don't change their sound when they perform in other countries - they don't have to lose their sound to become palatable. They just are.

i agree. It stops being kpop and just korean nationals singing english/western songs lol.

I hate to say, this was one of the biggest disappointments with BTS. I remember long before BTS got their “mainstream” cross over into the west, i thought if an kpop group actually succeeded to break into radio, it would be a korean song that really showcased kpop. Instead what we got, was half-baked pop songs that didn’t even represent BTS’ style that helped them rise to their fame (some would call selling out).

Maybe it’s not possible, but i’d like to think that dream, of a korean majority song (what NJ is doing is borderline not even 50% korean) that can someone break thru.

I don't think stray kids are willing to change their music style. They've been like this since debut and they didn't care about what the Korean gp like so I don't think western gp would be any of their headache if they don't care about their own nation lol. I think stray kids want to normalize the concept that you can be who you are and still win the heart of people. There's no guarantee that skz will be hella popular like everyone will know their name with the music they're producing but skz doesn't want to lose their identity by changing sounds to fit into a different category that doesn't represent them. Changing sounds was never their intention since debut so no matter how much kpop stans bark about their music sadly for them skz won't change. But you know what's the easiest way? Avoid them and mind your own business. Even in skz's debut song district 9 they actually asked ppl to mind their own business and let them be who they want to be. They knew ppl gonna bark. how ironic!

Also forgot to add something kpop being promoted in japan is more normal than the west cz japan is a neighbour country to s.korea so it's quite normal for any industry to promote themselves in their neighbouring countries (this is a basic economics). The situation of japan, s. korea and china is almost like india, bangladesh and pakistan. all of the countries are neigbour countries none of them like each other politically but consume each others products.

• No one cares about Kpop.

Bad or good reputation, it will only affect the group itself.

You can't tell me people will stop listening to BTS or BP or other Kpop groups if they think SKZ's music sucks.

• what reputation?

if the public outside the kpopsphere want to listen some kpop that is good for their ears, they will listen doesn't matter if SKZ is not pleasing them

a lot are doing exactly it with NJ despite not like who came before like BTS and BP

• Even in skz's debut song district 9 they actually asked ppl to mind their own business and let them be who they want to be. They knew ppl gonna bark. how ironic!

SKZ release songs that they think that even part of their fans might not like as much as other songs.

I feel like the whole risk and making something out of box is part of the fun of their career for them

Han talking about S-Class before It's release:

Fxd01-Jca-QAALJ1m.jpg

Bankai: Minazuki

85e1d14897360f5af5426181e6b1e605126ab548.gifv

Edited once, last by Minazuki ().

• even they are aware that ppl may not like their music so yes barking about their music will make no change and waste of time cz they're definitely having fun with their creativity so if ppl cant like it they can simply avoid.

• This thread contains 54 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!