How the hell did Mamamoo fall down this much ?

• This no shade or hat twords the group but I'm genuinely wondering how the hell this group went from being one the most successful GG's of their generation to almost being forgotten ? That group used to have number ones back to back, like a Mamamoo comeback would wipe all their competition and dominant for months to come hell they even gave the big 3 a run for their money.

Mamamoo was group that had almost their entire members as it girls and they had a strong fandom that bought their albums.

But with this latest comeback it's literally crickets .

• Go to Best Answer
  • No clue tbh.. Though I would guess because they were gone for so long so people kinda forgot about them? Especially with the influx of all these newer popular GGs

• it just seems like people don't care for them as much anymore. their biggest claims to fame back in the day were their amazing performances on immortal song and being a vocally talented group, but they aren't promoting that heavily anymore. hwasa was very focused on her solo career as well for some time. so they kinda lost what had people so interested. their tt choices have also not been great. aya was the first huge roadblock for them and it doesn't look like they recovered.

who's your favorite artist?

• Most 3rd gen GGs are fading - OMG, Viviz(whatever their gen is)

Many reasons,

#1. fans age out too - once they hit workforce, they have increasingly little time for fan activity

#2. emotional investors are like financial investors, aren't much interested in groups which are in the twilight zone - even BTS will be impacted to an extent, there is no future in that. Solos aren't as interesting as groups, in general

#3. 3rd gen is not old enough to hit the "nostalgia" factor, like SNSD's comeback.

#4. Of course, the promotions are far too tame compared to the 4th gen.

Above are trends, but there are always exceptions to the trends, because they are multi-variate dynamics.

• They. Got. Old.

Not by the standard of normal singers or artists, but in the K-Pop world they are antediluvian. It Girls these days are required to be under 18 and anorexic.

• Solar became super popular after we got married and then Hwasa became huge after that one Tv show and Moonbyul is super popular in Korea and even Wheein had songs going number one on melon and staying in the charts for a very long time and for their sales they have good for a group that comes from a literal nugu company also if I'm not wrong Moonbyul sold more than a 100k for one of her releases

• This no shade or hat twords the group but I'm genuinely wondering how the hell this group went from being one the most successful GG's of their generation to almost being forgotten ? That group used to have number ones back to back, like a Mamamoo comeback would wipe all their competition and dominant for months to come hell they even gave the big 3 a run for their money.

Mamamoo was group that had almost their entire members as it girls and they had a strong fandom that bought their albums.

But with this latest comeback it's literally crickets .

On Gaon/Circle 'You are the best' is their only #1 song.

So I am not sure where this back to back #1 comes from?

Melon?

They do have like 12 top 10's.

• Most 3rd gen GGs are fading - OMG, Viviz(whatever their gen is)

Many reasons,

#1. fans age out too - once they hit workforce, they have increasingly little time for fan activity

Whenever kpop fans try to explain why a group is losing their popularity it's always this lame excuse (sorry to say this) a group doesn't have just the same people following them throw out their career singers constantly make new fans so the age of their fans change constantly

• Whenever kpop fans try to explain why a group is losing their popularity it's always this lame excuse (sorry to say this) a group doesn't have just the same people following them throw out their career singers constantly make new fans so the age of their fans change constantly

Sure. it is two way traffic, older fans fall off, newer fans enter.

A group fades when the falling off is more than new entries -to me, spelling that out sounds "lame".

Anyway if you want to, sure tack on that reason too - "new fans not entering" - then the reason would lead you back to my #2 point, most new fans have no reason to emotionally invest in any group which itself is in the twilight zone.

Most k-pop fans are not in it, for the listening pleasure, but to be a part of something which is 'cool', and for that newer and fresher is always better than older and retiring.

All that has nothing to do with the quality of music.

• Whenever kpop fans try to explain why a group is losing their popularity it's always this lame excuse (sorry to say this) a group doesn't have just the same people following them throw out their career singers constantly make new fans so the age of their fans change constantly

Exactly, I'm an ARMY since 2013, and I've seen many different people from different ages come and go from the fandom. And I also have a job and stuff to do and I don't have as many time as before, but I have more money to buy stuff lol.

• Mamamoo fall off it's a word case as it has not catalyst, it just happen. I don't it has anything to do with the music or the focus the groups has, but more with new groups debuting and them being push aside

Simple as that

• Exactly, I'm an ARMY since 2013, and I've seen many different people from different ages come and go from the fandom. And I also have a job and stuff to do and I don't have as many time as before, but I have more money to buy stuff lol.

To be fair, Bts is not the best example because many people know them. If you look at most groups, especially girlgroups, they do typically become stagnant or declining after 7 years. Especially if a group is old, it’s too much work to watch or listen everything back, so typically new fans would rather stan a new group unless a group really stands out for them. But personally, I never cared about mamamoo’s music but listening to their new songs, it’s less catchy so that adds to it

NewJeans é envolvido em nova polêmica com o MV de “OMG” | Revista KoreaIN

Edited once, last by lialve ().

• To be fair, Bts is not the best example. If you look at most groups, especially girlgroups, they do typically become stagnant or declining after 7 years.

I know, but I don't think the reason is because people have to start working, it's because Kpop fans have this culture of consuming all the groups, and then dropping them when the new ones debut, and so on. I've seen some fans stan and then unstan a group within a year.

• Its simply the natural course of kpop, their popularity fades away eventually. There are of course few exceptions to this rule.

Even these new ggs will probably face the same fate.

• people moved on

I think their "disbandment" news also plays a part. No matter what people say fans and gp take news of members leaving the company as literal disbandment. Which result in many fans leaving or stop following the news/ content of the group.And when they came back, they did not promote that much.

What they need to do is to give a banger performance on a big award show like MAMA which will probably make gp again aware of them

And in kpop influx of new fans is really important because older fans usually move on to newer groups.

• Best Answer

Their fall from grace has been shocking, it's like a switch was flipped and everyone decided to stop listening to them all at once. Their fall started in Nov 2020 with Aya, prior to that they had 7 straight top 10 hits on Gaon. Once Aya flopped, it snowballed like crazy, they could barely make it into the top 100.

Personally i think they were one of the casualties of Next Level and the rise of 4th generation. In fact, i have a whole ass post rattling around in my brain about how Next Level actually ended third gen for good.

• As a lifetime hardcore MooMoo, their recent struggles with charting have been something I've given a lot of thought almost out of necessity. At their peak, I was as locked into their rise and eventual chart dominance as anyone. And yes, at said peak, they gave any girl group a run for their money.

But the current state of their charting has a lot to do with the fact they just...weren't that active as a group, and they weren't active during a time period where the 4th Generation Girl Groups started surging.

It's hard to overcome one of those, but the combination of the two is brutal.

Just this year alone, look at what IVE, G-Idle, NewJeans, Aespa and Le Sserafim have accomplished.

3rd Gen domination is over. BlackPink and Twice never even hit #1 on the Melon, Mamamoo dropped right out the top 100 and the new kids on the block are the huge trend. This would be unthinkable 2 years ago.

These groups are reaching a point where the song needs to REALLY resonate with the public to do well, because they're not the trend any longer. Mamamoo is obviously no exception.

But honestly...I'm at peace with it. By June next year, Mamamoo will have been promoting as a group for nine years. That is one hell of a run for a non-big 3/4 girl group, and they literally started from the ground up.

I will always hope to see them return to smash the charts with a new album, but I won't be depressed if it doesn't happen again. What haven't they already accomplished as a group? Not much.

• TT choice aren’t good. The pre release was doing great peaked in the top 10, then the lead single Aya flopped. They released a winter song in summer.

It even affected Hwasa’s popularity. And since they have been in the industry for so long, releasing not so great tracks+ long hiatus doesn’t help.

For example SNSD and BB before their hiatus their lead singles did well, so the hype for their cb was insane.

Same goes to OMG, if they release another flop single they will never recover from It digitally.

• TT choice aren’t good. The pre release was doing great peaked in the top 10, then the lead single Aya flopped. They released a winter song in summer.

It even affected Hwasa’s popularity. And since they have been in the industry for so long, releasing not so great tracks+ long hiatus doesn’t help.

For example SNSD and BB before their hiatus their lead singles did well, so the hype for their cb was insane.

Same goes to OMG, if they release another flop single they will never recover from It digitally.

I agree about OMG. They are next on the chopping block especially with one of their popular members leaving (ive read that Jiho was top 3 in popularity).

Father Time is merciless ;( .

• nana18

Selected a post as the best answer.
  • Their fall from grace has been shocking, it's like a switch was flipped and everyone decided to stop listening to them all at once. Their fall started in Nov 2020 with Aya, prior to that they had 7 straight top 10 hits on Gaon. Once Aya flopped, it snowballed like crazy, they could barely make it into the top 100.

Personally i think they were one of the casualties of Next Level and the rise of 4th generation. In fact, i have a whole ass post rattling around in my brain about how Next Level actually ended third gen for good.

Yeah that's what I don't understand how the hell a group goes from being one the top GG's being talked about everywhere fyi they even manged to have an international following which is very hard for a group that only caters to Koreans first like seriously how things like this happen in the kpop industry, after hip i really thought they'll grow even more that song was really big with i-fans

• When we all fall a sleep where do we go ?

Also I'm a girl

Where I was going with it but k :))

"We're always with InSomnia, we can spend more time, beyond limits together!"

• wasn't it their companies fault?

They decided out of fucking no where post a support message for one China policy. Considering that MMM doesn't have a Chinese member or promotes in China, that shit was the dumbest fucking move in entire kpop history.

Their kfandom out super mad and threatened boycott. They deleted the post which angered their cbars.

They came out of that fiasco with both their Korean and Chinese fans pissed and leaving the fandom.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Don't feel too bad for Mamamoo. It sucks they aren't charting like they did even just in 2020, but honestly? They're all doing the things they want to do individually and enjoying life. That's the whole reason we haven't seen them as a group nearly as often.

And while MooMoos have never been as loud as the fandoms from other top girl groups, we are still incredibly passionate and loyal fans. The thirst for Mamamoo to tour outside of Asia is real.

And performing for their fans, specifically at concerts, is one of the things they enjoy most of all. Even if they fall out of favor with the general public, MooMoos will always have their backs.

We're quiet but we are not small.

• Sadly it’s just age. It’s quite apparent that girls in kpop don’t have longevity like the guys. 3rd gen GGs are on their last legs in Korea..

True

From this list they have 11 still active, that included Laboum who is now disbanded.

ELRIS is still around as ALICE.

EXID had a comeback, but I would not say they are active.

Pritty-G debuted as a kids group and are still here, but they are probably a 4th gen group.

Busters also had a complete lineup change, so they are more like a 4th gen group now.

Then you have groups that disbandment is not official, but have not had any comebacks in a while, like

Favorite

BADKIZ

GeeGu

So at most there are like 15 Girl Groups left from Gen 3, out of probably 200 that debuted if not more.

• A lot of factors here:

- the fickle GP which moves on to the next gg

- confusion around the group’s status

I like some songs, but wouldn’t say I’m a fan. But I remember seeing someone was leaving or didn’t resign or whatever and then the group got quiet so I honestly thought they disbanded until this cb popped up.

- There seems to be a lack of promotion. It’s certainly lower than the other big 3 gg, but both RV and Twice have shown you can still do good business as an older gg even if the GP has moved on. Yes, RBW is smaller but there was a lot more promotional activity for Purple Kiss, for instance, or even it feels like for the member solos.

- They seem more focused/interested in their solo work

- Are they active on socials? I honestly don’t know.The challenges and stuff are cheesy, I know, and certainly older groups don’t think they need to do them, but it keeps you in the public eye and mildly relevant. A lot of smaller groups do this to try and get attention but I notice some big groups do too constantly and show up in my timeline when I don’t follow them because they hit the algorithm, of course.

..............................................................................................................perfume

1a8e5b24bf1c6ccaa1e5bd8ca4a707841e1abe65.gif31addbb43f8bc3a9c9e7fff75dd7f232c5839f1f.gifd752226429a326c0a6d90dfff22926c1961158d1.gif

• Are they active on socials?

Does this count?

솔라시도 solarsido
    안녕하세요. 이 채널은 저 솔라의 다양한 시도들을 담은 채널입니다. 열심히 준비했고 앞으로도 새로운 시도들 많이 보여드릴게요. 다양한 시도들도 많이 제보해 주세요^^ 그리고 노잼이더라도 너무 구박하지마시고 예쁘게 봐주세요^^ Business Mail -…
    www.youtube.com

Moonbyul is slowly building her channel too

문별이다 moonbyul2da
    안녕하세요 문별입니다. 우리 같이 잘 놀아보아요:D
    www.youtube.com

But Solar has been one of the biggest, if not the biggest, idol youtubers for a couple years now.

But I get Mamamoo notifications on instagram and youtube pretty frequently. I'm not big on twitter or TikTok so I can't speak to their activity there, as a group or individually.

• Omg i completely forgot about this it kind of explain things a little bit

• This thread contains 2 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!