[Entertalk Pann] Former Korean soldier lays out rational and empirical arguments as to why he supports BTS' exemption from the army

• This is my first time writing on a PANN.

I was just looking through the news yesterday, and saw an article that BTS is having a difficult time exempting from military service, and Nate seems to be leading source for opinions on idols. I'm writing it down to express my old opinion because I have a lot of time during my annual leave.

Starting from the conclusion, I would like BTS to be exempted. I'm saying this without any bias as a fan, rather it is far more beneficial to the national interest and ordinary people to have BTS as a whole exempted rather than just having a few soldiers here and there.

I'm writing this in case you may ask, I'm a former exchange operator of the Node(?) Battalion, and I've been dealing with equipment such as TTC-95k, TDU, and PCU. I trained to build a spider network while doing a network city with a Linux-based computer called NC. If I say this much, Node soldiers will know.

Let's look at my arguments one by one.

1. The criteria for exemption from the Special Military Service Act are as follows. - Olympic medals - 2nd place in international art contests - 1st place in domestic art contests - Those who have received intangible cultural assets for more than 5 years

These standards are in accordance with the Special Military Service Act enacted in 1973. There have been small changes in the meantime, but the law itself was enacted back in the days in 1973, which cannot keep up with the same notion of fairness of the modern times. This period wasn't even a period of pop-centered pop culture. So it is necessary to patch this standard to today's 2021 standards.

I'm sorry to all the artists for saying this, but frankly, the 1st and 2nd place winner at the 'Seoul International Dance Competition' will also be exempted from military service. I'm sorry again, but in terms of promoting national prestige, what makes it that BTS is considered inferior to them?

In addition, for the purpose of exempting from military service, there are also mass-produced international competitions, where hundreds of people can enjoy the benefits of being exempted. I think this standard is strange. I am of the view that these standards should be revised in an equitable way for today. On the other hand, I also believe it would be fair to even abolish the special treatment given to those artists and competitors if it's done altogether. That goes for number two.

2. Standards for Social Consensus on Exceptions for Military Service
    First of all, granting special military service is in itself a reward for enhancing national prestige, but the actual purpose is to protect talented people who are capable of raising national prestige from being deprived from foreign countries' 'audience' due to military service. The argument of getting rid of them and throwing these people all into the military goes against this notion because it eventually causes problems that accelerate the naturalization of talented people in each respective field to other countries.

If so, what are the social standards for special military service? This is not enacted by law, but an agreement among members of society. For example, enjoying the privilege of winning an unheard-of contest mentioned above is, 'But this is a bit iffy?' you may ask. However, there is not much debate when it comes to the Olympic medals or the military special treatment that Son Heungmin received, right? That's the key difference.

The promotion of national prestige -> social consensus on military special treatment, these are examples that show that these concepts are still valid today. If that is the case, then the standards for the promotion of national prestige should be updated according to today's standards. From this point of view, is there anyone who can achieve the value of promoting national prestige more than BTS? Rather than sending BTS members to the military, continuing to exert influence and promoting around the world is beneficial to the national interest, national brand image, and publicity for Korea.

3. But there are no special standards for idols and even pop culture people!
    I see this argument a lot in the news comments, and I can see that people claim that there aren't even any real standards and to not give special treatment as a whole.

Everyone... Standards are a concept created by humans. It's not like the laws of physics found anywhere in the natural sciences. Therefore, the standard is not an absolute immutable value, and it can change at any time.
    For the past few decades, we have been taking the position that it is appropriate to give military privileges for 'promoting national prestige,' with only few people denying the concept of having military privilege itself. But now we're saying traditional culture and art is ok, but not idols? Why...? There might be people who find it ambiguous to set standards for the promotion of national prestige on pop culture like idols. But this is a matter to be decided through discussion, but I believe we would me making a mistake to not discuss this topic at all just because it's a difficult topic. So what's the standard right now? ㅋㅋ

4. So just how much did BTS promote national prestige?
    - Twitter “BTS, the most mentioned account in the world for 4 consecutive years” (edaily.co.kr)
    - No. 1 BTS YouTube views as of 2020 (And isn’t BLACKPINK also a Korean idol group too? Huh…)

image.png

- Big Hit's market cap exceeds the combined market cap of the three major agencies based on the IPO price | hankyung.com
    -> It seems to be about 3x higher right now.

- 'News 9' BTS J-Hope "5.18 song lyrics? A history that should not be forgotten" - Chosun Ilbo (chosun.com)

A member named JHope only mentioned 5.18, which has the effect of making BTS fans abroad learn about Korea's history. It was more effective than any other video from the real government...There were even content about 5.18 that started appearing on Youtube for foreigners to learn about it.

And you think this effect is only limited to 5.18?

- Paul McCartney mentions BTS again "BTS is going through what the Beatles went through" (tvdaily.co.kr)

A huge compliment from the legendary member of the Beatles compared to BTS and themselves...

- Being on Billboard #1 alone, they received 1.7 trillion? In advertisement. How much is the ransom of 'BTS Power'? | JoongAng Ilbo (joongang.co.kr)

- K-pop band BTS worth billions to South Korea's economy (cnbc.com)

- US CNN "BTS will contribute 56 trillion won to the economy by 2023" | SBS News

In the past, when Korean singers performed abroad, the audience was mostly filled by local Koreans living there, right? But BTS has an organic popularity with even foreigners.

image.png

This is the survey data from the Korea Tourism Survey targeting foreigners.

A whopping 86.8% of the respondents said that K-pop culture had an impact on Korean tourism.

image.png

This is a list of factors that affect the image of a country viewed by foreigners.

• As you can see, pop culture is overwhelmingly number one. This data is also based in 2019, so it should be even higher now in 2021, not lower. On the other hand, the sports field that grants you exemption only represented 3.1% back then. And the fine arts area, which includes the arts and sports field, is 1.5%. I want to ask everyone, why is fine arts, which represents only 1.5% okay with receiving special treatment, but not KPOP? Do you still think that idols should dare to get involved in this?

5. BTS actually said that they want to serve the army. Yes. They never asked for an exemption, and have always said that they would go to the military.
    This is a very exemplary answer because we know how sensitive the issue of military service for male celebrities is.
    Everyone, BTS are celebrities.

No matter what the truth is in their hearts, they cannot even fathom being outspoken about being exempted even if they're this successful. This is purely a product of the environment around them and how they're trying to deal with the media... [...] This doesn't only applies to BTS, there's not a single celebrity that will be able to say something like "Please exempt us"

From the fans' point of view, don't you think it's the same? Other agencies are also trying to get exemption privileges by using BTS as their shields, but this is only half true. On the other hand, if Big Hit formed an alliance with other agencies and pushed military service preferential treatment together, the opposition will become even bigger. They will be criticized for being selfish. Do you think other agencies are ready to independently push for BTS exemption without Big Hit's permission? If you really think that way, you are looking at society too purely.

Fans don't like to see BTS spoons being put on by the political table... But in the end, since our country has a separation of legal, administrative, and judicial powers, if it is not discussed and changed in the legislative parliament, nothing will change. I know you don't like to see BTS getting cursed.... But isn't this just the curse of the crown? If you think about it that way, the pioneer of new things is lonely at the beginning and it will be difficult.

Isn't the idol market really changing rapidly? When someone wins, they also lose quickly. BTS is a group that left a shocking success story for the world. They're an unique case right now, but if their promotions are halted because of the military, great entertainers around the world will seize the opportunity to create a second and third BTS and put them on the market in the meantime. Frankly, if five white people imitate BTS, people will have a more familiar group to relate to and they will also make a good impression, trends can be easily replaced. look. Just think about Jjapagetti stopping their sales for 2 years when everyone wants to eat it but Nongshim decides to stop production. Wouldn't everyone just hop directly to Jjajang Ramyeon right away? It's the same thing

6. BTS' exemption is difficult due to practical reason... Yes... There are realities that make it difficult to get exemption.
    But personally, rationally, I think that giving them exemptions will have advantages that outweighs the disadvantages, but who knows...
    1. The older generation (over 30s) who have a lot more headcounts and who are able to exercise their voting rights have little interest in them and are highly likely to adopt a conservative attitude towards idols being exempted.
    2. BTS fans are mostly women, and it is difficult for fans to have an appeal because women are not the subjects of military service to lead the public opinion on exemption. It is also the reason why women's opinion took the lead when laws related to abortion were changed.
    3. In the end, it would be nice if men came forward, but the reality is that... Nobody really cares right?

post response:
    [+1,254][-147]
    original post: here

1. [+231, -14]
    This is a good post that provides actual information. I hope more people reads this post

2. [+217, -17]
    I find BTS likable, but I like our country more. That's why I'm in favor of military exemption (T/n: because BTS brings a lot of advantages to Korea).... Seeing it like this, there are so many companies that are able to ride off BTS?? Sigh this is frustrating..

3. [+198, -13]
    We need more articles like these

4. [+82, -4]
    Even my brother who is approaching his 40s and who served in the army believes that BTS should be exempt. Even when they drink together, they always mention how they're in favor of army exemptions. I don't know myself why they talk about these topics at bars but Socially speaking, the exemption is not a matter that has a huge impact on society. The real issue is that other companies are trying to get their idols exempt when they don't have half of what it takes to achieve BTS' career

5. [+74, -1]
    Wow... How can such a precious citizen come to such a filthy place to write a post... I'm embarrassed that he had to come to enter-talk...

a_song_calling_f

Afriyieau1

AmmaAffa

Anon813

babyjinx1221

beatrixavier

bseven4lie

BlackCat

blank00

ceym

cheersj

Chidera21

crazydoll86

diminiejimini

doesitneedsaying

dontwannacry04

dryheat

Eternity-April

fannni

ForeverBTStrash

freakyfantasy

frozenolaf

ghostlight

hatemail

Hallybell

Heamic08

hopemin

HopeOnTheStreet

hruaiic

hughbee27

Hwang_Seul_Rin

Ibby

icyruios

illumiseven

JackAndres

jangmi08

Jasmine_Waters

jdpm12021991

Jeanniebean

Jikook7

jooniebug

kenziip

kittykitka

koalaa98

kooxgalaxy

kryswithluv

LacriMosa95

laevix

lawyer

libelova

lonelywhalien

lonelymoon

lumpy

lynkp

lysithea

merribelle

Minazuki

MIRACOLE

Mirajess

miwri

mononokean

moonlightelle

@moon-pie

@Mortis

myaza

nm-tn

nevermindmejin

nevermore

BRIYANI

okayno

omegateatimer

onlyfacts

Pearl-Iris

penepol

piercine

PinkBish

poptarts0

potatodonuts

ppiper

Prin-Ree

rrrrrrapmonster

ravenhalo

rellimelli

rollingindreams

rosapastel

roseisme

Sameera96

sati1234

schuppy5

Semirhage

sephius

ShackD

skitzy18

slumberdollyoshi

sonia63

Sparkling_eyes

StrawHat_luffy

suga-is-woozis

Taehunk

taeswife0613

tafattsbarn

TastyButtercream

tinyducktan

tischkopfbein

tusqluccha

vanillamint19

V_Sobi

Vivi1388

whosstanami

wickedly

worldlove27

yk1242

yoshiworldhmm

Yuey

Rainbowlicious

aitaitae

Menean

ArmyBlinkOnce0

flop-star

MY-Kwangya

amalyas

chaesooo

thirstaer

rosseanne

taehyung-hobi

epiphanyjinnie

FairyOfShampoo00

selfmate

dsc

MassiveKpopFan

Yoonminnie

sadsavely

taetaepie

kristalli0109

Eldeweiss

WinterStorm1

MY-Kwangya

Quaintrelle

Nefelibata

Flowercrew

lovelypixie

tetetete

aliye12

• I will just support what ever decision BTS make because this is really hard

But it's not on bts to make a decision. Enlistment is mandatory and unless they get an exemption they will have to go regardless of their opinions. If they get exemption then they get to decide if they are going to take it or not.

4. [+82, -4]

Even my brother who is approaching his 40s and who served in the army believes that BTS should be exempt. Even when they drink together, they always mention how they're in favor of army exemptions. I don't know myself why they talk about these topics at bars butㅋ

i laughed out loud at this comment :angryr:

• What a complex issue it is...

all these talks must be draining the energy of bts too :sadface:

As you can see, pop culture is overwhelmingly number one. This data is also based in 2019, so it should be even higher now in 2021, not lower. On the other hand, the sports field that grants you exemption only represented 3.1% back then. And the fine arts area, which includes the arts and sports field, is 1.5%. I want to ask everyone, why is fine arts, which represents only 1.5% okay with receiving special treatment, but not KPOP? Do you still think that idols should dare to get involved in this?

This is a good point

• 4. [+82, -4]
    Even my brother who is approaching his 40s and who served in the army believes that BTS should be exempt. Even when they drink together, they always mention how they're in favor of army exemptions. I don't know myself why they talk about these topics at bars butㅋ Socially speaking, the exemption is not a matter that has a huge impact on society. The real issue is that other companies are trying to get their idols exempt when they don't have half of what it takes to achieve BTS' career

SPILL

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• This means little given that I am international, but I agree with the sentiment that this isn't even for BTS if you need to digest it that way, but for Korean prestige and will benefit the entire nation as it has been (given that they are now contribute enough to be mentioned as part of the GDP!). The iron is hot NOW. I wouldn't try to mess with a good thing.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!