Do you think Korean idol visuals are overrated compared to their Asian counterparts?

• Take for instance, I follow other entertainment industries. As badly styled as they are, I can name a good number of Johnnies who can give SM visuals a run for their money. A lot of pretty girls in the 48 girl groups too who would be on par visual wise to their Korean peers.

Lots of idols from Taiwan, Thailand and China are also very, very good looking. I mean those who are working there and are usual victims to bad styling.

On the other hand, despite meticulous styling and thick makeup, some Kpop idols marketed as visuals are ummmm pretty plain and lack character. Its as if fans are just gobbling up th marketing the company is throwing out. To be fair, the marketing is superb.

Also I feel that their actor visual>idol visual belief in Korea is BS. Lots of idols are faaaaar more good looking than their actors. Especially the new younger actors right now are not even as handsome as their predecessors (that era of Kwon Sangwoo, Song Seung Hun, Won Bin, Kang Dongwon). It is how their dramas project them that make them seem good looking.

It is good to take note that many visuals in current new groups are not the Korean ones. Like Tzuyu is godess levels to Kpop fans but imo, in terma of Taiwanese idols her visuals are just ok. Vivian Xu, Selina Ren, Rainie Yang, Ariel Lin, Puff Guo, Tia Li were more striking in their prime as idols imo and only grow more beautiful as they get older.

I am not discounting the amazing awsthetics of K-Pop its just that some of these kpop visual slayage!!!11 I hqve been seeing make me scratch my head sometimes. Like yeah, theyre good looking but I am not slayed.

cc : OH

• I think some girls from Nogizaka46 and Sakurazaka46 would shock people with full Korean make up.

Also there are beautiful ladies in Vietnam, Thailand, Malaysia, Philippines, etc.

It's just that Koreans created their own standard so anyone who wouldn't fit it for them ain't that pretty.

But in same time yeah for us there are a lot of beauties in whole Asia. And many of them would outscore kpop idols.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• No I don't see them as overrated.

There are astounding beauties from all Asian countries.

it depends on your preference.

You point to Korean visuals as being plain or lacking character. Who are you talking about?

If it's the usual suspects. Yoona, Irene, and visuals of that kind, etc. I have to strongly disagree with the sentiment that they are lacking in distinction or character.

• Didn't Produce 48 already prove a point?

Look at the Japanese 48G idols that participated in Produce 48: many looked ordinary, but give them the Korean style makeover they got, and a lot of them upgraded several levels in visuals - and no, it wasn't some speed PS they got (I bet that if it had been Korean idols and not in a survival show, that K-pop fans would have immediately attributed it to PS, and never given it any thought that it might've been styling and make-up X/, ifans and netizens never think styling and make-up have an effect when it's regarding K-pop idol visuals, apparently it's always PS...)

It shows how much good, expert styling and make up - and in some cases healthy exercise and weight loss - can affect someone's looks, an effect that is often underestimated by K-pop fans.

After that, it all just becomes a matter of personal preference, everyone has different preferences in what they like in looks, but bottomline is that beauty isn't restricted to country, how that innate beauty can shine however depends on the approach to styling and make-up that's being taken.

'No more shall man have wings to bear him to paradise. Henceforth, he shall walk.'

SWJ1P.gif

• Just like who you like regardless of country!!!!

Do I like some Japanese idols - sure ...all? of course not

Do I like some Korean idols - sure ...all? of course not

Do I like some Chinese idols - sure ...all? of course not

does it really matter if one countries' idols are overrated or underrated compared to another...

• I'm Thai and a fan of Thai idols, but honestly speaking - none of them would've made it in the Thai entertainment industry based on their looks. There are much better looking Thai celebrities in the country (both pure Thai & mixed), heck there's probably at least 10 better looking people in my school alone.

• Actually there are a lot of very pretty people all across the world, you sometimes just don't see them walking around like "hey look this country has ONLY hot and good looking people" . I think that even if someone says as example that Chinese people would look better than as for example Thai people, there might be still some people in Thailand who could proove you otherwise, but it mainly is based on the fact what type of people you see because everyone has different experiences in their life. So if let's say someone hangs around with a lot people who do plastic surgery, heavy makeup blah blah blah... than they of cause think otherwise about a countrie's beauty than people who mostly meet "uglier" people that arn't into makeup.

On Youtube a woman who lived for 3 years in Busan also said that its more likly to meet people who are not too heavy into the Korean beauty than if you would walk around Seoul. She also said that over 80% of a foreign people's perspective on how someone has to look like in Korea is based on people who are from Seoul so just cause many people in Seoul care more for their beauty and are more into stuff like plastic surgery, it still dosn't mean you get to know the full variety of people living in Korea and what they look like.

You can put this literally on all countries in the world, because it is impossible to see how a full country looks like if you only see a few hundret people.

And for all of you who don't think that Japanese people could be in the same level as some KPop-idols, here are a few very pretty Japanese idols and artists who might proof you different:

Yamamoto Anna

E1lCX8hVUAU79Dd.jpg

Nakamoto Taiga

E802Y7hVcAAm93J.jpg

Ogata Kokona

EtD1a2RUUAAW786.jpg

Kaneya Maria

EYyn0GKU4AIyxNR.jpg

Hokuto Yoshino

e4412d7eace19390505c35dbe9be81b9.jpg

Nakatani Hyuga

Es-37ZBUUAENMfn.jpg

Masuda Kurea

EGD_Kurea.jpg

Den Ayaka

EuJ5mVXVkAEqhFw.jpg

Yoshida Sumire

zF56RwLT_400x400.jpg

Takao Hayato

332a15cadf7536aed99228d4eeb0db6c.jpg

Kono Junki

4c535c7130485315420251fcfc67adab.jpg

A.C.E | ATEEZ | DRIPPIN| MCND | NU'EST | ONF | SF9 | Stray Kids | TFN

• korean visuals are just as good as any, when it comes to truly prefer "a type" maybe our personal taste have more of a saying, that being said I do enjoy chinese, korean and japanese visuals a lot, it's difficult to point out..

korean visuals like sometimes I think they are just naturally very impressive (Yoona, Irene, Tzuyu, Jisoo, Krystal, Sulli) idk if op is referring to the "visuals" position but I don't see them as "lacking" in any department maybe they get more attention on KR because every country has its own preference? when it comes to say who is "the most beautiful"...

tldr no korean visuals are not overrated

• Visauls half value is on popularity

i mean, if you look back some of the visuals in the past...you would think: People went crazy for this dude/girl?

and it works of both sides, i look back to some people i used to find attractive on asian or western artists and now i think: what was i thinking? they are not THAT ATTRACTIVE!

so the answerd to your questions is , very posible that the idol or artist that is consider a top visual, in fact is not that hansome/pretty. But because they are very popular, people say they are the most attractive.

SM used to have top visuals, but now there are other groups with the same level...txt can be tide to NCT Dream.

And like you said, the kpop artist has a ton of work (styling) done on them, if they didn´t, i think we would think they are not even that good looking

did blackpink release a new album today?'s tweet - "#LALISA ACAB, aquí solo  respetamos a la POLISA " - TrendsmapID BI****S

OT4 BLINKS OR JAIL

• good looking people will always be considered good looking anywhere, it doesn't matter lol

the only reason kpop stans don't talk about beauties from other countries is because they don't know about them, and kpop is worldwide more popular.

Imo chinese and japanese men are more attractive than korean guys overall, tho.

narcissistic, my god i love it

JCsIq3Q.gif

• Chinese actresses > all other Asian entertainers - even if they are seldom allowed to speak in their own voices on film. Can't argue with a "talent" pool of 1.4 billion people.

• I've been to lots of countries in Asia on travel and there are beautiful women everywhere. Vietnam/Thailand/China had some of the most beautiful women I've ever seen in my life! I was in a club with some friends in Shanghai and my goodness... something I will never forget!

Shanghai: Just for the chance of running into Jackson Wang🤪….

• I think I know who they’re talking about though LOL

• Only group of Asians that can out beat Korean idols based off my experience from dipping in other asian entertainment industries are the Chinese….lot of attractive people over there but then again there are a billion of them and 56 ethnicities giving them the leg up.

• To begin with I think all nations have their own type of beauty I don't follow all of this Aasian countries but the one that i follow which are japanese celebrity and all of them are pretty and what i like about them is that all of them have a distinct look.

When it comes to Koreans they have perfected makeup they are so good that it's seems it's plastic surgery for example lately I've noticed that Somi looks different for this comeback and i thought she did something to her face it turned out she has a new makeup artist

• I don’t really go for visuals as the most important is their music😃….🙄

And because the idols work so hard they also excel in their performances. I just saw that performance with Lay in China (with the blonde hair..) and that was….epic.

I have yet to experience a kpop concert irl - hopefully that will happen soon.

That being said I don’t mind how they look😊.

Got plenty of Scandis around here that are good looking but most can’t dance😂. And none has fandoms like in SK🤷‍♀️. Or spend money on concerts like in Asia.

I like the package of great songs, nice men, dancing and great videos.

With the gg I like their songs…don’t care for visuals.

Also in SK (or the rest of asia) even freaking dance videos get 200 million views on YT…Don’t see that in Scandinavia.

I don’t care where they are from really.

I like that asian wave - it’s much deserved.

It opens my eyes and makes me appreciate other people than white only.

But I do care how the countries treat young people and SK is pretty bad and need to treat people better to succeed with Hallyu.

Marketing is great - but in the end people leave if you don’t spend any money on treating your staff/people great.

I mean - at one point fans are gonna say enough…and move on.

• I don't find the strict sk standard visuals attractive tbh. The monotony is so bad that even the sk gp can't tell visuals apart from the rest of the group. In the kpop industry visuals kinda live and die by the hype of the fandoms they feed. Its a bubble, very few break out from that mould and are actually found to be attractive to both western and Eastern beauty standards. Those are the ones that catch my eye..like most visuals can't be told apart from the rest of the group but are mediaplayed as the top visual like it works for kpop fans ig but it doesn't work for me lol.

Its different for everyone. Some people like a certain look whereas others might be sick of it.

Desbundar

• It's a matter of personal taste and beauty standards.

Now if it is overrated in comparison to what? The way people talk about it? Korean beauty is part of cultural export. If this is what you are touching about, maybe like everything that gets popular and spoken about.

Now talking about visuals in idol groups, maybe people have problem with how it is marketed. Like some idols are marked as visual. It can be head scratching. However, it not unique to Kpop. What it is unique about Kpop is how it is systematically marketed. Personally I find some idols are overrated as a symbol of Korean beauty standard. There are lot of underrated/overlooked idols just because they don't fit that standard.

Personally maybe East Asian in general is overrated using the same metric when talking about such a vast region and Southeast, Central, and South Asian beauty are underrated or overlooked.

• I don't get the obsession with looks, at all. That's one of the things I dislike the most about kpop, hyping someone up just because he/she is beautiful, that's so childish and immature. When I hear the term "actor visual" I want to stab myself in the eye. What is an "actor visual"??? I'm european, and I LOVE movies, but I have never seen a movie because I think the actor/actress is hot. Never. I watch their movie because I like their acting, I don't care how they look. This focus on the visual is the main reason people make fun of kpop fans, and I don't really blame them. Let's be honest, most idols, and idol actors are only in this business because of their looks. Don't tell me you watch Yoona or Cha Eun Woo for their talent, they have none!

• I don't get the obsession with looks, at all. That's one of the things I dislike the most about kpop, hyping someone up just because he/she is beautiful, that's so childish and immature. When I hear the term "actor visual" I want to stab myself in the eye. What is an "actor visual"??? I'm european, and I LOVE movies, but I have never seen a movie because I think the actor/actress is hot. Never. I watch their movie because I like their acting, I don't care how they look. This focus on the visual is the main reason people make fun of kpop fans, and I don't really blame them. Let's be honest, most idols, and idol actors are only in this business because of their looks. Don't tell me you watch Yoona or Cha Eun Woo for their talent, they have none!

? The emphasis, exploitation and highlighting of looks and visuals has been a thing in Western pop culture and media culture long, long before it became a thing in Asian regions, with the dawn of advertising in the US and the dawn of the movie industry.

There have been massive piles of essays and articles that dive deep into the superficial obsession on beauty in the movie, advertisement, television, pop music business and other entertainment fields as launched and distributed in and from the West.

Focus on visual isn't the main reason people make fun of kpop fans - because that would be extremely hypocritical and short-sighted, considering the American and Western history and longterm obsession with it for the past century.

People make fun of kpop and kpop fans because it's not an American mainstream pastime, but from Asia. So a number of American/Western people do what they always do with stuff that isn't theirs but comes from elsewhere - they highlight everything that's different from what they know, and question it, make fun of it, ridicule it, belittle it and so on.

Like boys wearing make up. Like boys looking feminine and not super masculine. Like large groups. Like boys and girls acting cute. Like singing in a non-English language (how dare they!). Like synchronised choreo in an MV or performance. And on and on and on.

Mostly, certain groups of people will mock the K-pop scene and fans of it, because it's not American nor Western but coming from Asia and it's different.

Just like some people will love it for that difference, there'll also be some groups of people that'll hate and dislike it for those differences.

'No more shall man have wings to bear him to paradise. Henceforth, he shall walk.'

SWJ1P.gif

• I prefer Korea visually. When I watched a Japanese drama, they didn't look visually impressive. Then when I switched from Japanese drama to Korean drama, all Koreans all looked handsome and beautiful for a moment.^^ 

I thought the same but when I went to Japan, their visuals popped out :wow:. Their style also made their appearance 100% better.

• I'm Thai and a fan of Thai idols, but honestly speaking - none of them would've made it in the Thai entertainment industry based on their looks. There are much better looking Thai celebrities in the country (both pure Thai & mixed), heck there's probably at least 10 better looking people in my school alone.

Totally agree.. so many beautiful people in Thailand

• Chinese visuals are the best!!!! Watch idols and actresses from China they are more outstanding in the face, their Korean counterparts are very plain compared to them.

But Japanese people have a better look on an average because I have been to these two countries if Japanese people employed Korean makeup, their impact will be greater because their beauty is more natural

Korean beauties are just more popular because they have the biggest international following in case you don’t know , popularity= visuals in the entertainment industry even if you’re not that pretty your popularity will make you pretty .

bottom line, each countries have their amazing set of beauties so it boils down to preferences

<3:borahae: YUNAGAYO   <3 :borahae:

img.gif

• Chinese visuals are the best!!!! Watch idols and actresses from China they are more outstanding in the face, their Korean counterparts are very plain compared to them.

But Japanese people have a better look on an average because I have been to these two countries if Japanese people employed Korean makeup, their impact will be greater because their beauty is more natural

Korean beauties are just more popular because they have the biggest international following in case you don’t know , popularity= visuals in the entertainment industry even if you’re not that pretty your popularity will make you pretty .

bottom line, each countries have their amazing set of beauties so it boils down to preferences

Lay, Jackson Wang… many more Chinese🤪

• good looking people will always be considered good looking anywhere, it doesn't matter lol

the only reason kpop stans don't talk about beauties from other countries is because they don't know about them, and kpop is worldwide more popular.

Imo chinese and japanese men are more attractive than korean guys overall, tho.

how you doin' ;-)

• This thread contains one more post that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!