Posts by sleeplessnights

I had a stressing weekend, so I need something calming:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I'm fine about not reviving the feelings I had for watching my favorite series for the first time. I like to rewatch and I get new feelings and insights on repeat watches, so I don't have this type of desire.

However, I wish I watched certain series when I was young. Series like Kemono no Souja Erin, Big Windup!, Twin Spica, Uninhabited Planet Survive, Cross Game, Sketchbook, Natsume Yuujinchou would be great watch in my early to mid teens.

Nodame Cantabile and Honey & Clover would be great to watch in my late teens/early 20s.

It depends. Online it is pretty hard to not be confrontational and not take it as confrontation when it may not be. However, if you dial up tone, sometimes the opposing side may take a more mellow instance and maybe reach a common ground. You don't need to change someone's opinion. Sometimes you just need to make others see your point. Sometimes you just need to understand where they come from or their real interest behind their opinion and then offer an agreeable counterpoint.

Now if the opposition is just confrontational and won't budge on this tone or in bad faith, yeah, it is indeed a waste of time. Unless you need to convince a loved one out of some conspiracy bullcrap (and even this case can be a losing battle), I'd just bail out ASAP.

I like these two YTbers! Shirvan's accent is chef's kiss!

I like this channel too:

My only take on this affair is there is no solution that involves a happy end for both sides. As a just an Internet procrastinator with no love or hate from Palestinian and Israeli authorities, I guess the only solution would be something similar to Bosnia Herzegovina (which isn't great as it is still a power keg waiting to explode). For that to happen, UN would have to go there and force it. Of course, this scenario is impossible.

There is no other scenario I can see which would create a peaceful and safe Israel and Palestine at the same time. Some say have the West Bank and Gaza for 2 Palestine states with different governments for them. I don't see Gaza as self-sufficient and would be just a buffer state influenced by outside forces and having Hamas dominating the area would be a constant security threat to Israel. West Bank also doesn't have any natural division between Israel and this supposed Palestine state. Also, Jerusalem doesn't seem negotiable at the moment as the de facto capital of Israel.

The truth is Palestinians have no bargain chip. Even their supposed Arab allies are abandoning them to have proper diplomatic relations with Israel for future projects and shifting geopolitical strategies. Hamas having Iran support will just be a thorn to Israel and they will always be used as a tool for outside powers. The more Palestinians radicalize, the more Israel has motives to escalate further.

I don't see Israel changing their plans to slowly absorb the rest of Palestine as it is needed for their core security. They don't even bother to return territories from proper sovereign nations.

Even if they lose USA support in the future, I see Israel becoming self-sufficient enough to push around its neighbors. They already are shaping alliances around them. They have nuclear capability, a high tech military industry, and phenomenal cyber security capabilities. The only way USA stops supporting them if it becomes super inward and abandon anything related to Middle East, but that would just mean other super power could fill the void and ally with Israel. Israel has too good of a hand.

Even if both people want peace, geopolitical situation of both factions are just irreconcilable. There were some opportunities in the past that some compromise could be reached and in this aspect both the Arab world and Palestinian leadership blew it. Israel has no reason to compromise unless out of charity which I can only think in very few examples of such "charities" (more like brainfarts). Considering the history of the Levant, I don't see it.

Maybe I could hope Palestinian plea would resonate in the social media enough that other powers would force them to renegotiate their situation, but I think at best it may help de-escalate the current situation and go back to the slow absorption status quo.

I guess when I started watching Korean variety shows more enthusiastically. Overtime I listed to some of the music and I thought this wasn't too bad. I started checking IU, Davichi, BoA, Lena Park, and some of the second gens GGs. Still not fully immersed in Kpop. Officially I got really into it around Sixteen was on air and then I got hooked. I still consider myself a casual listener.

Although it doesn't seem to be the scope of this topic, I do like to think about which would be the best system.

I kinda like a technocratic democracy. I kinda liked the ideal behind Chinese keju/civil service examination system. Just have a more balanced individual freedom philosophy to it and it could be good.

At the same time, any system where there are incentives/rewards are fated to be corrupted and exploited. People will find ways to play the game for their own benefits. In the end this is an exercise of how to think about a system where people in general can get benefits and reach their full potential even with mediocre and corrupt elites in power.

I guess maybe if we can create an AI that choose the best people for the job through some form of trial and error which would overtime auto-correct till it finds the sweet spot. Of course, some nightmare fuel scenarios could arise from that.

Democracy is the so called worst form of government, except for all the others.

I guess the biggest challenges of democracy in general are how to apply representation, curb voter ignorance, effective opposition instead of gridlock one, and not fall in short term objectives only.

If representation isn't taken into account, it may just be a flawed democracy where only the elite is properly represented or if it is a proper one, it can alienate the ignored group. Sadly it seems that overtime democracies may fall to two camps and they may go more and more extreme on their position which would make lack of representation worse over time. Mob rule may also occurs even with proper mechanism to prevent this.

If voters aren't properly educated on how government and laws work, people will be very susceptible to propaganda and vote against their own interests and out of ignorance. People may vote for populists or perceived strong men. People in power tend to not invest in this type of education as it isn't in their interest. Even with proper education, people may become apathetic anyway.

The way most election systems are designed favors short term planning. Elected politicians may only plan for 4 to 5 years only when problems may only be solvable in longer timelines. Some necessary grand projects may take decades. Successors may undermine or reverse policies from past administrations independent on how needed they were. Politicians may be just too focused on being reelected or have their successors elected and not properly look at problems and challenges that the nation is facing. They may just drag the problems to the next term and the cycle restarts no matter who gets elected.

Oppositions who only care about gridlocking may arise because of factionalism and only caring about political career instead of legacy. These may be the root causes of the lack of efficiency.

Another problem is democracy may just be a umbrella to disguise a fascist/oligarchic/authoritarian government or unbalanced of power between government branches.

For shareholders?

I guess HYBE or JYP. As far I know, they didn't have problem with taxes and seems to report most of their earnings properly unlike SM and YG.

For the artist?

Maybe PNation. SouMu before HYBE. Dreamcatcher/HF. However, it depends what the artist wants. If it is fame the surest way possible, any of the big 3 and HYBE (even thou they can be super crap in some aspects).

For fans?

Dunno. Maybe PNation? I don't see that many reasonable complaints.

I love Dooly, I grew up with it, but the character Michol is blatant blackface. In theory he should be taken as endearing, as he is a character who is an aspiring musician and like Michael Jackson. However, it did a lot of damage by making kids think this stuff is acceptable.

In Inkmaster, pics of Olive Peck in blackface were reported. He quit the show and apologized which was the right thing to do IMO. The comment section about this at the time was quite yikes thou.