Is the heavy routine based training system responsible for the lack of emotional depth and connection in idol music?

• Idol music is an escapist genre and everyone acknowledges it. Most kpop is hyper focused on visuals and even fans do not care for music. The stigma in korea against idols is so bad a lot of people scoff at the ideal that an idol is even a "real musician".

And it's not false to say that idol music does indeed lack the capability to connect emotionally with the audience. Most songs are supposed to be fun pop songs with some ballads thrown in here and there (something which I call elevator music).

My opinion is that it is because of a factor deeply engraved in the routine based idol training system. I was recently listening to an idol group quite known for their vocal prowess in the kpop circles and the song felt like a sucker punch of hollow disconnection and indifference. The artist was singing about love, obviously, in what you would say quite impassioned manner, the lyrics suggesting a forceful approach to the said love even. But it was just that...a normal pop song which you can hear on the radio and go about your own way without being affected deeply.

Do you guys think it is the routine based nature of idol music responsible for this and the conservative nature of it or is it the hyper corporatisation?

Edit:- Before anyone makes this to be a hit against Korean music in general, like kpop fans generally do, read back to my opening line. I am talking about the perception of idol music in korea itself. The same argument can be used for American pop stars for example but there I expect the answer to be a bit different given the geographical and culture context.

And it's not false to say that idol music does indeed lack the capability to connect emotionally with the audience

Speak for yourself here there are A LOT of kpop songs with deep lyricism

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

This one was winning music shows recently

But how is the shallow vapidness of kpop artists any different than the vapidness of pop artists in any other country? You can't tell me that US pop doesn't have its fair share of hollow bland songs. Not why you expected Korea to be different

• This is a very interesting topic to discuss✨👍🏼

Honestly, I think that it all comes down to an idols musicality, and how they portray themselves through music.

work in progress

• US pop artists are manufactured puppet dolls who aim for hit songs with every business move of theirs. It's a show life there.

Also I don't expect "Korea" to be different. I am talking about idols. Otherwise my opening line wouldn't be about the perception of idol music in Korea itself. I listen to K-r&b. Korean artists are extremely talented. I am talking about a very particular one specific genre/industry.

• why classify an entire industry based on some music

not all music is good true but there are some good music, it's up to you to find that group or that music

• Hmm, I find it pretty difficult too to connect to music from idol groups these days. Groups have debuted in rapid succession in the past few years, almost everyone has the same concept, same sound, same everything. It feels like the focus has shifted from music to just making money somehow in general. And there is oversaturation in the market. Everyone is trying to be some other group, copy someone's concept excetra and it's off putting for a lot of music lovers.

I think companies don't focus on harbouring or nurturing emotion in songs, or vocals of idols in general anymore, but maybe that's just me.

And about vocal powress, I have said this before and I say this again, having a good technique isn't everything. If your voice, your lyrics and your music lacks emotion and depth, people are gonna have a hard time connecting to music no matter what powress you have. I'm sure a lot of people would agree with that. 🤷

• In general I believe too much training in the field of something subjective like arts that doesn't allow a margin for error or experimentation is bad. It will breed standardization, mediocrity and cynical critics that won't let loose and live nor will they let others live. The concept of subjectivity is lost on most of them.

Even so called "vocal stans" on akp barely have any threads praising or analyzing or god forbid criticising their faves but are all up in threads of more popular artists like bts, bp and twice. Constantly criticizing and ripping apart hit songs which most times doesn't even focus on vocals but other equally important parts of kpop say rap, or dance elements.

Desbundar

• You can't tell me that US pop doesn't have its fair share of hollow bland songs.

I agree with this, there are a lot of good pop artists and obviously amazing artists in K-pop too. But I feel like the focus of the industry itself is shifting into money making. Don't get me wrong it always has been about money. But so many indie artists are rising these days that just lack any depth in music and in my case I cannot connect with them. You know what, I blame tiktok for this. The root of all evil is tiktok.

• US pop artists are manufactured puppet dolls who aim for hit songs with every business move of theirs. It's a show life there.

Also I don't expect "Korea" to be different. I am talking about idols. Otherwise my opening line wouldn't be about the perception of idol music in Korea itself. I listen to K-r&b. Korean artists are extremely talented. I am talking about a very particular one specific genre/industry.

Ahh I see. In that case I think it depends heavily on the company/group themselves. For example in JYP Got7 was heavily stifled in their creativity while Day6 and Stray Kids are able to produce music entirely on their own. I don't really think it comes down to any kind of training and instead depends on how much they're controlled by their company. In the vocals department some idols can sing very soulfully but they just aren't given the right title songs to truly showcase it

• That's a very good point. Do you have recommendations in idol genre specifically which you think fits this criteria?

this is my fav song and i think the message is very deep and if want i can show you the explanation video as well

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Well you said it was just like a normal pop song

Do all pop artists give you that same hollowness?

Is it just when idols do ballads? There is nowhere to hide in a ballad, groups tend to sound worse when singing that type of song

I don't think it is to do having a routine

Artists in the classical field have disciplined, routine based training for long hours too

On some level I think it does make a difference if the music has a personal touch, in the lyrics for example

A lot of Koreans like that about IU

Lyrics in general will matter more to K-fans than many I-fans for obvious reasons

Having that input directly makes it easier to connect with

It becomes part of that artist's musical identity

Also you cannot rule out people's preferences in singing style or voice type

Some people think Beyoncé voice is emotionless

I do not

Aim for good balance of technique and personal style then people will probably find your voice "moving"

It's hard for idols to do that when they have to worry about so many other things related to performance, and to have to fit into a certain image or develop a certain singing style that the company has in mind for their group

instead of honing their individual talents (or they have the position of visual or the personality of the group)

I genuinely think you cannot be a kpop fan for more than a couple of years if you only care about the visuals

• Mmmh i don’t know, maybe that plays a part in it. I often feel like idols focus more on being entertaining than doing justice to the song while performing (one consequence is lipsync). Thing is it’s been kinda proven that fans like this flash and shallowness so agencies encourage it and sometimes even forces it. Even if an idol wants to connect more with the music side of their work they don’t get the opportunity in an idol group. ex-Winner Taehyun for example left the group (instantly loosing a good chance at money and success) because their music didn’t feel right for him and he felt artistically stifled. And Winner is one of the groups out there with the most artistic freedom.

• It's not exactly the training system, but rather how much input the artist have in their music.

For people who have more creative input such as Day6/BTS for instance, the songs they put out really relate to people on an emotional level.

There are also other groups who have input in their songs, but their "title tracks" aren't the sentimental kind. But that doesn't discount away the "sentimental impact" because many of their B-sides also have those songs that audience can relate to emotionally.

tldr: depends on their creative input in the song

• I got a few song recommends, if you are keen.

enjoy

• I'm sorry imma go on my boomer rant for the 1000th time.

It's not Kpop training system that's responsible for this.

Music just isnt about musicianship anymore. Music nowadays is made by chili dog nerds playing with soulless corporate software sitting in front of an IMAC. Music now sounds like 2.5 minute advertisements marketing the singer's brand. There are a few lookers in pop music these days (Drivers License and Anyone recently) but for the most part, pop music has devolved into noise.

There was a time when pop had literal legends making music. Could you imagine a time when you had Madonna, Queen, Springsteen, U2, Elton John, MJ, Prince, Whitney, Collins, Sting, Journey, GunsnRoses, NWA, Bobby Brown, Run DMC, and hundreds of other superstars making music all at the same time? Does anyone really think today's Lil Drips and Young Juicys are gonna be held in the same regard as the aforementioned FUCKING LEGENDS???

And what about the 80s hair bands everyone makes fun of? There's probably like 3 local pop acts in the entire country that can entirely self compose a song like this. Everyone made fun of these guys for their hair, leather and spandex, makeup, etc but these greasy looking mofo were actual musicians. They wrote all their songs, sang em all, and played em all.

And listen to this fucking song. This was a B side ffs, just stare in awe at the nonmoving screen while your ears take it all in.

ETA: yes imma drunk now, what about it?

• The kpop scene became too oversaturated which, coupled with an unprecedented dependence on trends, is stifling individuality and uniqueness. There are way too many redundant groups. And then there's also a new found obsession with the illusion of perfection from kpop agencies and media in general and that's most apparent in the standardised cardio-level choreographies and rampant lipsynching. It all leads to groups sounding like robots and performances looking like carbon copies of each other. It's the industry's obsession with perfection and trends that is killing any emotional depth and human connection the music and artists could have with the audience.

But of course there are exceptions on purely subjective ways, you just need to find a group or idol whose music and performances appeal to you and you'll feel that connection I guess.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!