Do you care if your faves write/compose/produce?

• Yeah, I like it and value it quite simply because I feel like I’m getting to know more about them personally - and I admire it, because as a musician, it was never something I was able to do well/effectively.

But there are masses of artists out there that I still enjoy that never write their own songs (especially not fully) and I don’t really care if they’ve worked with one other person or ten.

• I do care, I enjoy seeing them create art but it doesn't automatically make me like the songs better.

And to answer the rest of the questions, I respect performing arts very much so, no, I don't view idols who don't write music differently or as if they're lesser.

As for the last part, speaking strictly about SJ, the songs where the members participate in the production never have long lists of other contributors unless they're other SJ members lol, usually it's just one other person or 2 max.

hua-cheng.gif

Edited 2 times, last by chounim ().

• Happy if they do, don't mind if they don't. I honestly don't put a big emphasis on that they must write they're own material like others, their material in general is really good anyway.

• It makes me appreciate them more for the hardwork that they put in, and I might admire the idol more. But, it's not a dealbreaker if they don't self compose and It doesn't really change my opinion about the song that much.

I don't really consider it self made if there are a lot of producers and the idols name isn't near the beggining of that list in the credits. It would still be nice to see if it's with an idol that is just beggining their journey into producing because we all have to start somewhere.

• I love to see them involved in the creation of their own music, as long as they want to be. It won't make me automatically like songs better than other songs though. I like what I like, regardless of who creates it.

Member participation is always good to see though.

I left my heart in LA again. Please continue taking good care of it.

• Nope. If a song is good it’s good, doesn’t matter who wrote it to me. There’s so much work that an idol has to do and I appreciate it when some do have song credits, but just because others don’t, it doesn’t make them any less talented or hard working than the ones that do.

• If your fave people do stuff than it only is impressive to me when the song is well made and not shit. I mean if someone would produce only the worst songs for their own group while a team of let's say 5 different producers with many years of experience would do great stuff for the group than it just sucks, especially when you know how many our these people work on stuff and have to work with their group too, because if they write stupid and noisy songs than you could say they asted a lot of time that they could've spend training in dancing/singing but if they produce good stuff than its kinda impressive how they menaged to get singing/dancing and producing done at the same time. I mean for example Hui he spends about 2 entire weeks to produce 1 song and even squeezes dancing/singing in and forgets to eat, sleep and take some breaks when he is busy producing. and if people are this productive like Hui than its more impressive to see your faves work hard on producing than someone who either did almost nothing on a song or ruined it ... if you gett what I mean

A.C.E | ATEEZ | DRIPPIN| MCND | NU'EST | ONF | SF9 | Stray Kids | TFN

• Self written/composed/produced music is more personal and creates kind of a bond between the fans and the artist. So that’s always a plus for me.

• Official Post

If they want to do it, then I support them, but it's not a requirement for me.

• In kpop I prefer that creative control be handled by the company and a team of professional songwriters and producers.

This is related to my admiration for the the historical model of kpop companies where they acted as more systematic "kingdoms" in the vein of Old Hollywood Studios, where they control all facets of creation and production in a more top down model, utilizing in-house creative and production talent.

• Depends of quality, I admire Soyeon and Woozi even as a non-fan, but I don't care for composed stuff that are generic.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• An absolute yes.

I can never stan a 'singer' and connect with or be interested in their discography if they just sing whatever is given to them, passively.

I would much rather the creative control to be with the artist and it should be their choice about what art they bring in the world... either by working alone or choosing to get the help of other professionals they want. And of course I am talking about artists who make actually 'good' music, not every artist can do that.

And if that isn't possible then the absolute minimum should be that the singers at least have the power to choose their new title track, out of a collection of already prepared songs put in front of them.

"Overspending on my pens, that are more in number... than your fans" - Suga.

• it's a bonus, but I don't purposely seek out artists that do so. I also do find it more admirable when there's fewer people on the credits or at the very least when the idols are credited first. I feel like there's some people that kick up a fuss about idols being more talented and yet when it comes to writing/producing it seems like it doesn't pass their standards for what counts as talent. It's just one more string to their bow.

• I think it's a bonus addition that showcases their individuality. It's a deeper perspective into their personal artform.

I don't think anything gets taken away from idols that don't though.

There is still a big team of professionals who are also creating their art with them as a medium. The idol's job is to perform and focus on their specific craft.

I'm good either way.

N Ξ O C I T Y

EWwNl6R.png

• a little bit...

songwriting is a different skill to singing/dancing/rapping...and thus one needs not have that talent if they have other talents...but if they do write their own songs/compose/produce etc then it's just another indication of that person's talents...

• It makes me appreciate them more for the hardwork that they put in, and I might admire the idol more. But, it's not a dealbreaker if they don't self compose and It doesn't really change my opinion about the song that much.

I don't really consider it self made if there are a lot of producers and the idols name isn't near the beggining of that list in the credits. It would still be nice to see if it's with an idol that is just beggining their journey into producing because we all have to start somewhere.

Yeah, I always do wonder how much of a contribution they had if there are like ten people on the list and they're towards the bottom.

I don't generally care though. Writing is a different talent than singing or dancing etc and they're all admirable skills.

• In kpop I prefer that creative control be handled by the company and a team of professional songwriters and producers.

This is related to my admiration for the the historical model of kpop companies where they acted as more systematic "kingdoms" in the vein of Old Hollywood Studios, where they control all facets of creation and production in a more top down model, utilizing in-house creative and production talent.

That's an interesting take. I used to be really fascinated with old hollywood for a while. Do you have any qualms about the amount of control the studios had over the talent and the abuses that occurred due to it?

• I listen to western artists who use writing camps so not really. It's a bonus point but not necessary. I've learned to appreciate collaborative efforts more as time goes by. :pepepizza:

• it's a plus point

Thats the reason why artists like Bruno, Adele, Taylor, Gaga are more well respected than Rihanna etc as the former write their own songs.

But in kpop industry, it is usually better to have the company to be in control as it is usually of higher quality. For example, Teddy Park in charge of BP songs. But it would be good if idols participate like GD and also produce their own songs.

If they can produce songs as good as Soyeon with concept in mind, then yes, the company can give the idol free hand .

• Yeah, I always do wonder how much of a contribution they had if there are like ten people on the list and they're towards the bottom.

I don't generally care though. Writing is a different talent than singing or dancing etc and they're all admirable skills.

Don't quote me on it but I think when there are many writers and the idol's name is toward the bottom, it means they probably wrote their rap verse.

• Yes it matters to me

I love music and for most artists I don’t care if they write theirs songs etc as long as the songs are good I’ll listen to more of their music and enjoy BUT these artists will never be my favs

For an artist to become my fav I need to be able to personally connect with the lyrics and words they write. I love to hear the emotions and feel the artists connections to their songs. My favs are my favs because I relate so much to the words they choose to share with their fans. This doesn’t only go for Kpop but for western artists too. My fav singers are those who wrote their own music and who I personally relate to

• Yes it matters to me

I love music and for most artists I don’t care if they write theirs songs etc as long as the songs are good I’ll listen to more of their music and enjoy BUT these artists will never be my favs

For an artist to become my fav I need to be able to personally connect with the lyrics and words they write. I love to hear the emotions and feel the artists connections to their songs. My favs are my favs because I relate so much to the words they choose to share with their fans. This doesn’t only go for Kpop but for western artists too. My fav singers are those who wrote their own music and who I personally relate to

I feel the same way. And thats also why I care more about participation in lyrics than composition or production. I like music that delivers emotions the most. I also like music that is fun and that can be pretty formulaic, but it doesnt make me become a fan based on that. If an artist has no input, ever, I cant really connect to them. I can enjoy the music, but thats as far as it goes.

On the others hand, you can also be a fan of songwriters or producers, not performers, theres nothing wrong with it. I have producers, where I am much more likely to check out an album they worked on, since I enjoy their prvious work so much.

And I dont mind collaborations, especially when it comes to composition/production side. Its natural. And the number of people credited in pop songs can depend on crediting policy. Some companies credit everyone whose 5 second snippet they have used, some avoid giving credit and only add it when threatened with law suits.

People seem unaware that the KOMCA credits dont show who contributed most. I usually trust either commentary by artists about which parts they made and how the song came about and of course in a lot of cases it is very evident who had written the lyrics or song, since their style is distinctive. You can tell BTS members style apart easily. If idols never speak about the songwriting process, its more likely they didnt contribute much.

• This thread contains 3 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!