Why Is Blackpink's Success With A Small Discography Shamed?

• As you all know, a lot of people like to make fun of Blackpink's small discography and the success they received with it. Especially a few years ago. I was wondering, why? All the "shamers" I have seen are kpop fans.

Why do kpop fans have this mentality? Is it that bad to have a small discography? Yes, blinks do want more songs but should Blackpink be shamed for this? Told that they don't deserve their success?

I remember a few years ago that I saw this thing about Blackpink having only 9 songs but being really popular(I wasn't a kpop fan back then btw). But I didn't think, oh they have so little songs.

I thought, Wow! They achieved a lot of success with few songs. I didn't think it was something to be ashamed of, I thought it was cool.

So, why is Blackpink's success with a small discography shamed?

P.S- I don't want to say small discographies in general because I don't know the amount of criticism other groups with small discographies got.

• People use this argument all of the time to disrespect or degrade them, and it’s so uncalled for. Yes, their discography is small, but that didn’t stop them from becoming successful.

・❥・🖤🤍~A wish your heart makes~🤍🖤・❥

♥︎♥︎

• Was it always about their success? I don't think it was always necessarily because of jealousy or anything like that. I think it's because they're singers and had such a small discography after many years. I know it's no fault of their own but to a lot of people it's like wtf. They were YEARS into their career and had 9 songs. Some groups have that many songs on one EP album. So in comparison to other groups, they were bound to get some shit for it - especially given that they were successful in doing so.

EDIT: I just want to add that the reason why I think it isn't about jealousy is because typically no one wants their favorite group to have a small discography. I think a good majority of fans would prefer success with a healthy discography. I used to stan Blackpink but I quit because I was here for music. I love their personalities but hearing new music is important to me and I couldn't wait anymore.

• I don't think it's about shame, well actually I do, but not because of the success they achieved with it, but because of the treatment towards fans. It's not at all BlackPink's fault mind you, which is probably why Blinks still do their best to support BlackPink regardless, but it's YG's fault and it feels very stingy to receive that kind of success while giving fans so little. YG giving blackpink lack of content makes it seem like he is arrogant and expects money for doing the bare minimum. When compared with other groups, many fans are happy even if their groups are only moderately successful because they get lots of content and the experience of stanning that group feels fulfilling.

So really, it isn't shame on BlackPink but shame on YG for his bare minimum antics and milking of fans. He comes off greedy and entitled.

For BlackPink and Blink themselves I think it's a testament to their passion and dedication to achieve the level of success they do in spite of the treatment they receive from YG.

• IDK about the shame. Anyone who shames BP for small discography when it's all YG's fault should be ashamed of themselves.

I personally don't care about their success with a small discography since they gained success through other means along with music. They could have 2 songs or 200 and their success would still be well earned.

But the fact that BP is a 4-year group with the song count of most rookies is... it's frustrating and borderline insulting if I'm being honest. It just shows YG doesn't care and I fear other well off companies will look at BP and do the same thing too their groups because hey it worked for YG.

• Bc people are jealous of BP discography. They wish their faves had the same budget and even sound, but well, this isn't possible so they shade BP like no tomorrow and s on their songs and the girls whole career tbh. The names BP get called out is just hateful and full of insult towards human, specially women.

• Do I think it‘s shameful ? No, not at all - especially not to the women in the group - they’ve done the best they can with what they’ve been given, and achieved what they have on the merit of their talent and charisma.

Do I think it’s ridiculous? Yes, for sure - and not really fair to them or their fans.

• Official Post

idk about shame, but it's definitely used to undermine their impact. Adele only has three albums which on their basic original versions total up to about 32 songs. No one uses that to say "well Adele is great, but is still really one of the greats? Sure she has one of the best selling albums of all time, but she only has thirty songs so she shouldn't count!"

Like yeah it sucks majorly that Blackpink has such a small discography, but that doesn't undermine their impact on the kpop industry no matter how much some people want it to invalidate them. Even if they never release another song, they will always be remembered for being not just one of the biggest kpop groups, but as one of the groups who helped the genre grow globally.

• Saying BP doesn't deserve their success due to a small discography has always been weird. Does having more filler and throwaway songs make a group more deserving of success as long as they have a larger discography count? The only people that should be concerned about BP's lack of music are the fans. Just reeks of jealousy for anybody else to have an issue about it.

• It’s not about their small discography but how it was released. It shouldn’t of taken them THIS long to release their debut album and even then it was less than 10 tracks, and didn’t even have a real name!

The fact that they went on tour and had to perform covers and songs more than once to run up time is annoying.

Lorde has a small discography (2 albums) after almost a decade but both were critical acclaimed and well promoted. BP has a typical kpop promo cycle go on music shows for about a week and that’s it! So concerns over their small discography is a problem. As far as their success.. who cares! Like stop being a weirdo.

• Lol it's not even their fault. They would make more music if they could but of course they have the backing of an annoying company.

If anything, it'll be their grand yet depressing legacy

• Official Post

IMO, anyone that degrades or mocks the girls is doing so out of jealousy or insecurity. It is the same for all kpop groups and the bigger you are, the more you will get. Yet they are the ones laughing all the way to the bank. It's very very common in the kpop world.

Now, this does not apply to the very valid questioning of YG's mediaplay and tactics (starvation speculation and having the girls do a lot more non-music promotion to cover) when it comes to them, but that's YG's doing, not the girls. The girls are under contract to do as their company directs them.

• It's mostly because now rookies are releasing mini-albums with 6-7 songs, and if they have 2-3 comebacks then they already bring as many songs as BP to the table

Also it's more "tactical thing" but anyone can admit that with less songs and longer hiatuses is much easier to not release a song which in terms of music (a beat itself) won't be this catchy.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I mean they have to find something to hate on.

Can't be quality, so they go for quantity :pepe-toast:

I do wish BP had more songs, but I don't see why you need to have a certain amount of songs to be successful. Plenty of artists built their entire career over one song.

• i've always said that the more criticism (or hate) one gets just means you've made it...

whether you have a small discography like bp or otherwise people shaming or hating or whatever means you've succeeded

no one trashes nugu groups well precisely because they are nugu

• People should not shame Blackpink but rather YGE.

As a fan of 2ne1 back in the day i still get mad that they didn't do much after the success of their second mini album in the middle of 2011. Their next kpop album was released March 2014 which is ridiculous for a group as big as them.

I do think BP should have more songs at this stage but luckily for YGE they have managed to be successful outside the music. Basically Blackpink is saving YG's ass like Big Bang were previously.

• People should not shame Blackpink but rather YGE.

As a fan of 2ne1 back in the day i still get mad that they didn't do much after the success of their second mini album in the middle of 2011. Their next kpop album was released March 2014 which is ridiculous for a group as big as them.

I do think BP should have more songs at this stage but luckily for YGE they have managed to be successful outside the music. Basically Blackpink is saving YG's ass like Big Bang were previously.

It's really weird how YG had 2ne1 take 3 years to release another album... I do know they released singles in 2013 tho but still 2 years hiatus...

YG & Teddy lowkey were worse with 2ne1 & BB when it comes to albums lol

• yeah, i dont understand why people use it as a drag.. when in fact, i like more of their songs than other artists who has like more a hundred songs... having many songs does not literally mean they have better discography

• It's definitely jealousy and fake concern. All BP songs, including their bsides, are title tracks materials for other groups. BP can afford to release not many songs because each time they released the impact they made was enough to last for an entire year.

• Personally, I don't blame Black Pink but it's shameful because it shows how much they are mismanaged, it shows that their purpose to YG is just to make a lot of money with very little investment in the group for example going on a world tour with about 9 songs only 3+ years into their career.

In short, it shows how they are exploited and mostly reduced to models when they debuted to sing and dance. (There's nothing wrong with modeling and it pays REAL good money but there should've been a balance).

It shows just how powerless they are in regards to their career as a girl group.

YG deserves the shame, black pink doesn't.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• BP are juggernauts with the least amount of effort with the greatest output reward

it's insane how they keep getting bigger and bigger with the bare minimum on each comeback release.

It just adds extra salt in the tears of the haters... it's such a beautiful thing to see

I can't wait to witness it all again when they release more music

• I don’t shame it. It’s just annoying when some blinks try to use it to flex over other groups whose faves are actually giving them content. Like no one told you to Stan a group that rarely releases songs, not sure if it’s half jealousy too

Like imagine if our faves were chefs who had to cook for their fans. Your faves are actually starving you and if you like that, thats fine. Just don’t try to drag other groups who are getting their fans satisfied.

Also some blinks are fond of selective achievements. In any way they can squeeze an achievement in, they’ll go for it which is kinda desperate. There are better achievements they can call out for BP

HardcoreBLINK  BlackpinkHouse

• I don’t shame it. It’s just annoying when some blinks try to use it to flex over other groups whose faves are actually giving them content. Like no one told you to Stan a group that rarely releases songs, not sure if it’s half jealousy too

Like imagine if our faves were chefs who had to cook for their fans. Your faves are actually starving you and if you like that, thats fine. Just don’t try to drag other groups who are getting their fans satisfied.

Also some blinks are fond of selective achievements. In any way they can squeeze an achievement in, they’ll go for it which is kinda desperate. There are better achievements they can call out for BP

I mean it's all true, but this extends to every kpop fandom tbh

i put the "my faves did that with only 5 songs" in the same category of "my faves did that without company push" or "my faves did that organically" (no shade intended, really)

Questionable achievement selection as it is nowadays is really weird but i'd say it's really the most common thing among every group's fans, on social media at least

And i like the chef comparison :pepe-smug:

• If there is any shame, it reflects more on the company management rather than the artist themselves. There are two frames of reference when viewing an artist's discography: "success / achievements", and "artist development / growth". Certainly, I don't think there's any problem with BLACKPINK's success or achievements even with a limited discography. The question for me, is about artist growth and development. With so few songs, how much opportunity is there for the artist to develop and grow as musicians and performers? With the need to make every song count as a popular hit, how often can they afford to take experimental risks?

The three most productive girl groups in K-pop 3rd gen have been TWICE, MAMAMOO and Red Velvet. They also happen to be the ones with the most varied discographies. There's a reason for that. They can afford to experiment and explore different genres. BLACKPINK cannot. And that's not because of the girls, but because of the company and producers needing a financial success. But how will that affect the girls' future development as artists?

Alternatively, if you want to reduce the dependence on their music to be a financial hit, you can channel them into other money-making activities - like modelling or advertisements. That lets you be less reliant on music as their primary income. But we then come back to the question... how does spending all that time on modelling / advertisements / other stuff instead of music affect the artists' development? Why did they join YG Entertainment? Was it because they wanted to be musicians? Or because they wanted to be models?

• This thread contains 12 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!