It's interesting that, despite how popular Newjeans are, they don't have an 'It' girl in the group

• They're not in a situation where JYP is limiting Twice's individual potential, so it destroy all the potential that Nayeon and Tzuyu have. Adore gives them plenty of individual schedules.

This is one of the reasons why I really doubt they will stay on top for so long. We all know it's all about hype. The reason why I think Twice is also falling quickly in Korea is that their current 'IT girl' is basically from Japan, which helps them there. All the top girl groups in other generations before this had really strong 'it girls' for the hype's sake of the group among the public. SNSD had Yoona and Taeyeon, Blackpink had Jennie, and all of them showed that early in their careers. While Newjeans members are literally lagging behind Wonyoung and Karina, probably even Chaewon and Yuna. They don't really have huge viral moments individually that people can directly point out, except for Minji with that Kalguksu controversy. They are rarely trending and don't have huge engagement in social media individually.

The girls don't have that strong individual charisma and star quality. What a shame that they are already given way for that by their company, and they're successful as a group.

• New Jeans don’t need an it girl they are an It group. They’ll be bigger than any group that has a popular member. It’s not that important. But also Minji is popular in Korea and so are so of the others ones I can’t connect the face to her name but I see her all the time on posters and in the airport in Korea. I think it is the one of Vietnamese descent

• It's that the current and future gen won't follow previous gen data point lol

Even with IT girls, there are plenty of ways groups will likely stop being a major thing in this current brutal industry. Good luck living in the past.

:pepepizza:

• Minji was #1 for seven months last year in the Brand Reputation Index. The index that Jennie regularly topped for years and years.

In Jan 2024 she was #11 I think, because of her cut noodles issue.

While Ador do not push her as an IT girl, she effectively was all of last year.

Nmixx literally has Sullyoon and they're still flopping. Your argument makes no sense. I hope ador doesn't make them Suzy and the friends, they're perfectly fine.

Sadly she is one of the two most pretty but boring idols in 4th gen. You have move some facial muscles at least to be an IT girl.

• Minji was #1 for seven months last year in the Brand Reputation Index. The index that Jennie regularly topped for years and years.

In Jan 2024 she was #11 I think, because of her cut noodles issue.

While Ador do not push her as an IT girl, she effectively was all of last year.

out of all metrics u choose brand reputation ( nugu list ) ;(;(

• They all look too similar. No one stands out tbh. I'm sure as they mature and their styling matures then they'll stand out as individuals but right now they look their age and dress it too.

• Some Kpop fans care too much about awards and titles. One of the most irrelevant and meaningless title is the "IT GIRL", probably. There's like 50 "It Girl" in Korea, and basically every fandom acts like their faves are the only one. It's just another stupid title that ignites "war" between fandoms.

Also, it is worth noting that a lot of Kpop fan doesn't even know what "It Girl" means. They think it's all about being cute or sexy and hyped.

Minji was #1 for seven months last year in the Brand Reputation Index. The index that Jennie regularly topped for years and years.

Another meaningless title in Korea is the Brand Reputation. It's literally like trending on Twitter. When an Idol doing something, like release a song, people will talk about them more, and their index will go up. That's why every monthly list is different.

Being "It Girl" is more than just numbers on social media or on streaming platforms. Real "It Girls" are those whom are can affect EVERYONE, not just young people or millionaires with luxury and fashion brands. When an Idol can influence the average people too, that's the real "It Girl" for you.

• Minji isn't being pushed yet individually. But she will be eventually.

Genuinely curious, what kind of push do they need individually according to your standards?

Their label is doing the best in promoting each girl...they are all individually global ambassadors for luxury brands, attending luxury events alone, solo magazine covers, constantly have news buzz one day or another, hell hyein a rookie has even featured on veteran idol's (IU) track. And that's for a group that hasnt even reached 2 year mark.

What more do we expect from the label? All I can think of is having individual sns accounts for each member or acting gigs (which is way too early for them)

• Genuinely curious, what kind of push do they need individually according to your standards?

Their label is doing the best in promoting each girl...they are all individually global ambassadors for luxury brands, attending luxury events alone, solo magazine covers, constantly have news buzz one day or another, hell hyein a rookie has even featured on veteran idol's (IU) track. And that's for a group that hasnt even reached 2 year mark.

What more do we expect from the label? All I can think of is having individual sns accounts for each member or acting gigs (which is way too early for them)

Modeling is great and all but isn't the most helpful promotion more entertainment focused gigs? Variety appearances, drama appearances, most OSTs, solo stages etc are the things that actually go viral with the public

All the solo appearances NewJeans does are for singing shows

Complex is over-rated, Ill go up higher and shine brighter than anyone else

BLACKPINKJESSICANEWJEANSSEJEONGTHE ROSETWICEYERIN BAEKYUKIKATHE VOLUNTEERS

ee868cb541261094eb3c49077579820d9d2684ef.gifv259551f29b1b419b0910ccd1ffe7a59b3ca03dbb.gifv9179a574e42e68a00c37635d5151fe4ebba30003.gifv9fbbfdae9fd592cc7858e29f534e290375563da9.gifv

• I think some of you forget how old NewJeans actually is. They haven't even hit the 2 year mark and they're expected to be in the same plane as idols with 2-4 years on them

Aespa didn't make their Instagram accounts and start some solo promotions for Karina until last year (3 years)

Yuna's viral fancam was in 2022 (3 years)

And I'll admit I didn't pay much attention to Iz*one but I didn't really Wonyoung talked about much until after Iz*ones disbandment so 3-4 years for her?

I've never seen an idol debut as an "It Girl" ever

Before then, all they had were viral posts about how pretty and charming they were, same thing NewJeans members have now.

Building an individual brand is harder and takes more time than group branding. NJ is doing really well rn

ee868cb541261094eb3c49077579820d9d2684ef.gifv259551f29b1b419b0910ccd1ffe7a59b3ca03dbb.gifv9179a574e42e68a00c37635d5151fe4ebba30003.gifv9fbbfdae9fd592cc7858e29f534e290375563da9.gifv

• And I'll admit I didn't pay much attention to Iz*one but I didn't really Wonyoung talked about much until after Iz*ones disbandment so 3-4 years for her?

Wonyoung was very much popular during the izone days. She started getting brands and gigs straight after the end of izone. But yes her profile became even bigger after the success of ive. But u r right no one debuts as a it girl. Everyone rises to one. Timing, luck, company everything matters.

External Content x.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

YIREN

e2ab9f65c50ad7b933ecb52f941f1493d96d8704.gifv fab59363da33ef51baa656716577e60cdb9b2fd2.gifv 084b4b1830b2175bbfe169388158c289cc0b861f.gifv 9a71235e38fac2f4f9e1daf62b01efee6e4923bf.gifv e2ab9f65c50ad7b933ecb52f941f1493d96d8704.gifv

• I probably have every NJ song in my library but 2 or 3 and when i saw a member was featuring on a IU song, i legit had no idea who she is.

I think Ador messed up a little by giving 4 out of the 5 members more tradional korean names, instead of ones that are a little easier to remember/associate. That'd be my only critique of an otherwise phenomenal branding.

• Every single month people try to make Bunnies care about "It Girl" status, as if we don't have multiple historical precedents for "It Girl" popularity not translating to group popularity.

Did Miss A turn into the top girl group in the country when Suzy became THE It Girl of all It Girls?

What about Hyeri with Girls' Day? Or Nayeon with Twice? Did Pop becoming a hit suddenly turn Talk That Talk into a hit?

It's crystal clear that ADOR prioritizes making sure every member of NewJeans can shine; they do not want one member to get the lion's share of the media attention and brand deals.

This is why every single member is a global ambassador for at least one major luxury brand.

Despite that:

External Content x.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I think they'll be okay.

• Modeling is great and all but isn't the most helpful promotion more entertainment focused gigs? Variety appearances, drama appearances, most OSTs, solo stages etc are the things that actually go viral with the public

All the solo appearances NewJeans does are for singing shows

I'm not sure if that's true, because I don't really follow them, but those "singing shows" are one of the most watched shows in Korea. Also, they're still rookies. This is their second year, of course they won't do too much variety and other stuff, especially alone. This is a new era, not like the 3rd gen. It's not really a trend anymore to invite groups for variety shows. I mean, new groups. Also NJ is one of the most hyped group on this planet right now, so I'm pretty sure, their price is high af.

i don't think the noodles thing would have been an issue if nobody cared about minji. same with the wonyoung pizzagate nonsense

Wait, people still talking about that nonsense? facepalm.jpg💀

• is there a reason why IT girls are so important in people's minds for group music and branding?

yes, they help but that's not much if the music sucks ass.

The day NJ fell off in popularity, it was not because of IT girl nonsense, it was because of their music.

• I'm not sure if that's true, because I don't really follow them, but those "singing shows" are one of the most watched shows in Korea. Also, they're still rookies. This is their second year, of course they won't do too much variety and other stuff, especially alone. This is a new era, not like the 3rd gen. It's not really a trend anymore to invite groups for variety shows. I mean, new groups. Also NJ is one of the most hyped group on this planet right now, so I'm pretty sure, their price is high af.

Wait, people still talking about that nonsense? facepalm.jpg💀

I'm not quite sure how to word it.

Singing shows are great but they're main impact is making more fans of the music, variety is good at making people fans of the actual idol. Even as TV and variety shows are on the decline, I still think it has a bigger impact, both positively and negatively.

• I'm not quite sure how to word it.

Singing shows are great but they're main impact is making more fans of the music, variety is good at making people fans of the actual idol. Even as TV and variety shows are on the decline, I still think it has a bigger impact, both positively and negatively.

For the record, I agree with you on that, but singing shows are good for promoting their talent. That's why Mamamoo became much bigger when they won Immortal Songs 3 times. I'm pretty sure HYBE cares more about that, that's why they don't allow them to be on variety shows. Variety has a bigger impact, for sure. Hwasa is the best example of that. Thanks to 'I live alone' most people "stopped" hating her.

I don't remember, but BTS was on varieties? I mean, after they became huge. HYBE is like YG, their artists are usually in a dungeon.

• For the record, I agree with you on that, but singing shows are good for promoting their talent. That's why Mamamoo became much bigger when they won Immortal Songs 3 times. I'm pretty sure HYBE cares more about that, that's why they don't allow them to be on variety shows. Variety has a bigger impact, for sure. Hwasa is the best example of that. Thanks to 'I live alone' most people "stopped" hating her.

I don't remember, but BTS was on varieties? I mean, after they became huge. HYBE is like YG, their artists are usually in a dungeon.

It's dicey because each label is different. I think BTS quit varieties after some drama over burgers.

Le Sserafim is always on them on the other hand. No idea how Ador feels about them. I think the older 3 (Minji, Hanni, and Danielle) would do really well with them

• It's dicey because each label is different. I think BTS quit varieties after some drama over burgers.

Le Sserafim is always on them on the other hand. No idea how Ador feels about them. I think the older 3 (Minji, Hanni, and Danielle) would do really well with them

Now that you mention, their age has to a factor too. In Korea, the legal adult age is 19, I think, and only one member is 19 if I'm correct. Also, it's Korean age, not western, but I'm pretty sure that law is changed too.

• Now that you mention, their age has to a factor too. In Korea, the legal adult age is 19, I think, and only one member is 19 if I'm correct. Also, it's Korean age, not western, but I'm pretty sure that law is changed too.

2 19, 1 almost 19. Variety shows take minors though, I've and LSF are on them all the time

• This thread contains 11 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!