Is Karina about to give Wonyoung serious competition in the 4th gen IT Girl debate?

• Most searched 4th gen idol in 2023 in Korea, most viewed video of 2023 in Korea, and already has a couple of CFs up her belt. She's always been popular but it seems like it's exploding after SM is starting to push her individually as some of us predicted

Is it official that they're the Yoona & Suzy of this gen? Should Starship/WY watch out? :pepe-notes:

• First it was Winter, now it's Karina? She is very popular but this is like saying Lisa is the it girl and not Jennie just because Lisa have more youtube views and instagram followers.

There is a bigger chance of Yujin surpassing Wonyoung first before any other idol does.

Also, when you guys say this to me it's clear you have no idea how massively popular Wonyoung is. Is there any other idol that have a term created about them on urban dictionary?

IMG_20231209_202646.jpg

I wish this set up would just stop for once and for all.

narcissistic, my god i love it

JCsIq3Q.gif

• Karina is Irene meanwhile WY is Jennie. While irene may had a bigger she wasn’t influential like jennie.

Karina is as big as wony in asia & she seems to have more hard core fanbase but outside the gap is huge.

Wony is the most searched female idol on naver which is bigger than google, voted by experts as one of the biggest artist, the way wonyoungism has over 1B views on Tik tok. She’s an it girl because she has impact.

• Karina's not quite there yet but she is definitely Wonyoung's toughest rival. She has it all, talent, looks, personality.

The third contender is a darkhorse candidate, she still needs more exposure to the GP and not just to Kpop fans, but Minji definitely has the potential to take on WY and Karina. She also has the biggest music company in Korea to help her.

It will be a war for the ages over the next couple years. It will probably go on even after 5th gen enters the fray in 2025.

• I agree but Urban Dictionary isnt proof of anything lmao

Anybody can post those

BLACKPINKJESSICANEWJEANSSEJEONGTHE ROSETWICEYERIN BAEKYUKIKATHE VOLUNTEERS

ee868cb541261094eb3c49077579820d9d2684ef.gifv259551f29b1b419b0910ccd1ffe7a59b3ca03dbb.gifv9179a574e42e68a00c37635d5151fe4ebba30003.gifv9fbbfdae9fd592cc7858e29f534e290375563da9.gifv

• Most searched 4th gen idol in 2023 in Korea

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Most searched on Google and YT. But Koreans mostly use Naver (something like 70% market share).

I think the difference is that Karina has more 'fans' since her fancam views are way higher on average but Wony&Yujin are a tiny bit ahead when it comes to Korean GP recognition. Karina could probably fix this by appearing on variety shows or acting.. and SM might allow that now.

I'm not sure how anyone would ever overcome the Wonyoung IG/Tiktok wall though, she's kind of unstoppable on those platforms.

• Erm nobody was seriously saying Winter could be a serious contender, maybe back in Next Level/Savage days but her popularity has diminished since then and she's not really being given individual CFs + there's not nearly same amount of interest in her as Karina. Her thing is OSTs.

Literally anyone can edit urban dictionary too so that's not really helping your point

• It is absolute nonsense to contend that someone is the leading 4th gen IT girl, if that idol has only scored a single solitary new CF in the last 12 months. So the one that got more than a single new CF in the last 12 months is in front.

Regardless, since Minji is always #1 or #2 in the Brand Reputation Rankings, like Jennie is always consistently at the top of this ranking, Minji is the current leading 4th gen IT girl.

but imo, since none of the 3 have really taken off after 1.5 - 3 years, the (not just 4th gen) IT girl title is up for grabs and is likely to come from one of the new idols that debut in 2024, and it might be Ahyeon when she "recovers".

• I agree but Urban Dictionary isnt proof of anything lmao

Anybody can post those

Erm nobody was seriously saying Winter could be a serious contender, maybe back in Next Level/Savage days but her popularity has diminished since then and she's not really being given individual CFs + there's not nearly same amount of interest in her as Karina. Her thing is OSTs.

Literally anyone can edit urban dictionary too so that's not really helping your point

It's proof that a term was created after her name because people are following a lifestyle based on her. It's proof of how massively influential she is not only in Korea but also internationally. No other idol had a lifestyle based on them before, at least not as big as "wonyoungism". If you search it anywhere you'll see tons of content based on that. Further proof

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

IMG_20231209_221522.jpg

On top of that she was the most searched on naver, the most searched 4th gen korean idol in japan, and the 4th most searched female idol in the US, only behind 3 blackpink members.

No other 4th gen idol is close to being competition to wonyoung, she's currently a wall. You guys forget that the first hint of a female idol being the it girl is the hate she also seem to attract. It happened to Jennie, it now happens to Wonyoung, and no other 4th gen idol attract as much hate than Wonyoung. So please stop setting up idols, when Karina start being competition, it won't be as pleasant as it seem.

narcissistic, my god i love it

JCsIq3Q.gif

• What if Jo Yuri is the ultimate dark horse? Actors are a higher tier of celebrity in Korea :pepe-back-away:

I've been calling her the next IU for two years now lol.

If she makes a splash with Squid Games, it's all systems go for her, she would probably be the biggest idol of this generation. Imagine being watched by 140 million households, that's probably at least 500 million people :ak_joywatching:

• External Content youtu.be

• I think Karina might be more popular than Wonyoung in Korea, but everywhere else Wonyoung is trending like crazy. Just her amount of fans in china alone would overshadow Karina's. I'm not an expert in looks but people (especially guys) really dig Wonyoung's looks.

x o x o

c6tcSa5.gif

• I think Karina might be more popular than Wonyoung in Korea, but everywhere else Wonyoung is trending like crazy. Just her amount of fans in china alone would overshadow Karina's. I'm not an expert in looks but people (especially guys) really dig Wonyoung's looks.

are you mistaking China for Korea's popularity?

because WY is not as popular as Karina in China, but I think WY is more popular than Karina in KR :/

• are you mistaking China for Korea's popularity?

because WY is not as popular as Karina in China, but I think WY is more popular than Karina in KR :/

I'm actually not in the kpop circle in china, but a very casual weibo, qq, douyin etc user. And even I see a shit ton of Wonyoung content (it's kinda annoying when you're not looking for kpop content ngl)

x o x o

c6tcSa5.gif

• Karina is bigger in China. The receipts are album sales by the different c-bars.

Don't pay too much attention to search engine numbers, or anything that can easily be bot farmed.

CFs are the real metric. The people working in marketing in Korea know who is more popular with the general public and who is not. Karina got more than one new CF in the last 12 months, so Karina is more popular also in Korea.

• Umm, some people are way too invested in gatekeeping this.

It's IS Karina going to give WY comp, not HAS she given WY comp.

Karina has only really started getting solo push from mid-this year. WY has been solo pushed since she was in Izone.

Only time will tell, but the reality is there can be more than one "It" girl, and Karina has as good a chance of anyone to join Wonyoung there.

• and wonyoung and yujin are both younger. your girl karina will be 24? by then. she better start sprinting

• I think she have every chance to surpass wonyoung in korea

Wonyoung have been active as a celebrity for 5-6 years almost

Karina debuted 3 years ago

Of course wonyoung will look bigger currently because she literally spent years in IZONE then she had one entire year to focus on her own individual career when izone disband and before debuting with IVE

But karina have all her chance to beat her in few years

- She just debuted her solo activity just few months ago and she's already #1 most popular youtube video

- a ranking of the most popular korean celebrities in korea among all age came out recently and Karina is #12 and best ranked 4th gen idol

While the rest of the top is mostly MC and actor

And in this ranking yujin is even higher than wonyoung

- she sold out multiple clothing item like the dress they bought at a market in thailand and the owner of the shop said that they sold out and wouldn't be able to restock because the demand was too overwhelming to make new dress enough quickly and call it the karina dress

Or how the owner of a brand actually posted a video on tiktok of all the command people did on her website and 99% of the command were a scarf that karina wore 1 day ago in a tik tok

And even thank her the next day on instagram because thanks to karina they had 1000 order

- there's even a challenge created in korea and was pretty viral call the quail egg challenge

Which consist in making your hand in the size of a quail egg and see if you feature fit in it

And it's a reference to karina that people often say she have a quail egg face

- she was #7 in the most search female idol worldwide on youtube while Wonyoung was #5 so the gap isn't really big

- she's the most follow female 4th gen idol instagram account for few weeks already

- she recently became KRUSH Beer model and the beer seems to become pretty popular

And her poster are everywhere

- she's still the biggest 4th gen idol in china too

- she recently became YSL BEAUTY ambassador

She have a CF for a sport brand coming soon and she will film a new variety show on netflix

She literally debuted her solo activities 6 months ago and you are telling me that she's already this big so yes give her more time like wonyoung had and she'll have the potential to surpass Wonyoung in korea very quickly

✩We Born with the X-Gene✩

aespa Brand Concept Day Photoshoot Behind - Pantip aespa Brand Concept Day Photoshoot Behind - Pantip

• and wonyoung and yujin are both younger. your girl karina will be 24? by then. she better start sprinting

What does age have to do with anything?

Irene was older than her other 3rd gen'ers. There was a 3/4 year gap between Yoona and Suzy as well. As some simple examples.

The point I'm making is Karina has had maybe 5 month of solo push from a company perspective.

Debut date and age is irrelevant compared to that so glad you got to exercise your fingers I guess?

• What it shows me is the Kakao marketing machine, which owns some of the big Korean social media platforms, is effective in Korea.

Kakao purchased SM in March. Now 9 months later, Karina is a contender and imo in front.

• I've been calling her the next IU for two years now lol.

If she makes a splash with Squid Games, it's all systems go for her, she would probably be the biggest idol of this generation. Imagine being watched by 140 million households, that's probably at least 500 million people :ak_joywatching:

being a big actor doesn't necessarily mean being a big idol tho, Sejeong is super famous as an actress now in SK, but her recent solo album didn't get any buzz really among the GP. Like she's probably more famous than Somi amongst Koreans (or at worst as famous), but Somi's music does way better to give an easy example.

• This thread contains 10 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!