What's the end goal for JYPE pushing Twice west?

• If anyone has seen me post over the last few years it's obvious I dislike the way Twice have been maneuvered over the last 2 or so years.

For me, the fundamental question I can't answer which is why I feel this way is - what is the point of this direction for Twice outside of "for the potential benefit of the company"? From a fan perspective I struggle to see how this benefits the group and members, this late into their 7 years. As a fan I also much prefer Korean promo over what we get for western promo. Twice are consistently neglecting Korean promotions in favor of western ones now. You can even see within the fandom fans are starting to act like Korean success is below them all of a sudden because Twice charted on Billboard for 3 weeks and were on a daytime TV show.

You have a group where not one member can speak English properly (leading to a lot of awkward content during Alcohol Free), are winding down to the end of their contracts and just aren't a good fit for the market (there's no long term success there for the group or members) yet JYPE will happily compromise their positions in SK/Japan, the two biggest kpop markets and where a majority of the members are natives and will have their long term careers so need to maintain relevance, for a small amount of western relevancy.

From a company perspective Twice are their biggest brand internationally, time is winding down, they've got new assets in Japan/SK so lets see how far we can push Twice in the west which is becoming more open to kpop before renewal comes up. This allows the company to build partnerships (Republic) and make contacts there for the future endeavors of their other groups/activities. Great - but I'm not a company stan so care nowt for that.

What does Twice charting on Billboard for 3 weeks accomplish outside of that for the group and its members? One more arena the next time they tour the US, which probably won't even happen before renewals come up? If they get on the Billboard 100 which is clearly their target now with an English single and multiple versions, what does that mean for the group? I don't think there's anything wrong with JYPE trying to expand Twice's reach but why is it done in such a way that it looks like they can only handle one market at a time for the group? I'm sure the members also like the idea of doing well overseas and that's also cool but how has it ended up one or the other?

Any long term career for the group and its members will be in SK/Japan. Despite all the western push/relevance BP get/have Jisoo is still working on kdramas, Jennie does multiple big CF's in SK and Rose did more promotion on Korean TV than Twice did for their recent comeback despite her songs being in English/more relevancy in the west. SK/Japan will always in the long run be the main market. Twice members will never act in the west, will never present on tv there, won't have cf's there, won't have solo careers there etc. So have the company just stopped thinking about the longevity of the group/members hence trying to get as much as they can out of them with regards to the west?

You don't have to be too into the detail of their current status to know Twice and its members are having a dwindling impact in SK. They went from being the most popular to 3rd/4th as the group have changed their sound and promotion tactics, with that number only trending towards the more they neglect the Korean market.

Is there any end goal here other than seeing how much the company can get out of Twice in the west, without wanting to risk their newer acts there first?

• Well Twice might renew or not next year. I dont think they ever try to push Twice to the west. So with their renewal still up in the air, I said they are just trying now and they barely even started but you write an essay like they pushing the west market for years

• I kinds agree. It's a huge mistake to treat your cash cow like a lab rat but it's twice we're talking about, every single time JYP pulled off his trademark shit management they pulled through and broke records. He's happy in his safety net and bad decisions.

It's truly phenomenal how the members sell out stuff and top popularity polls in sk and japan despite jyp's nine or none motto.

• Who knows but you need to stop taking this so seriously. Like, sometimes(often actually) I also don't like how JYPE manages them but that doesn't mean I keep talking about it. TWICE are consistently releasing good music and earning millions with every album. That matters way more than a chart topping single.

My only answer to your question is, JYPE is simply jumping on the bandwagon. Kpop, as a whole, has grown so much in the past few years, it doesn't make sense to only focus on SK or Japan. TWICE tried, with having constant Monday releases but the GP doesn't care for them outside of their cute concept, as evident by FS/M&M/ICSM. Now everyone and their mama is targeting the West, JYPE's best shot is TWICE, who have the largest international presence among their groups and are a older group/established group so the risk isn't that big.

• Well Twice might renew or not next year. I dont think they ever try to push Twice to the west. So with their renewal still up in the air, I said they are just trying now and they barely even started but you write an essay like they pushing the west market for years

They've done more western promo this year than Korean and are putting out an English single with all the usual tricks to get it to chart on Billboard. With the influence of Republic the More and more era was a mess. Twice don't fit the western market which is why they never got pushed there. They didn't fit it then and they don't fit it now.

Who knows but you need to stop taking this so seriously. Like, sometimes(often actually) I also don't like how JYPE manages them but that doesn't mean I keep talking about it. TWICE are consistently releasing good music and earning millions with every album. That matters way more than a chart topping single.

My only answer to your question is, JYPE is simply jumping on the bandwagon. Kpop, as a whole, has grown so much in the past few years, it doesn't make sense to only focus on SK or Japan. TWICE tried, with having constant Monday releases but the GP doesn't care for them outside of their cute concept, as evident by FS/M&M/ICSM. Now everyone and their mama is targeting the West, JYPE's best shot is TWICE, who have the largest international presence among their groups and is a older group/established group so the risk isn't that big.

Firstly I barely post anymore and the only reason I talk about it is because the change is becoming increasingly pervasive in everything they do. None of my favourite songs for Twice are their biggest singles so I don't care for that. Being bringing up relevance and success is purely down to the group/members needing that for longevity purposes.

This year they've put out Taste of Love which is one of their weakest minis and Perfect World which is below both BDZ and &Twice in terms of quality for me. I talk about it because it impacts nearly everything that matters with respect to following a musical act. I'm not following the group because I find their personalities refreshing or how they do loads of their own variety content.

The fact that you think Monday releases constitutes them trying doesn't make sense to me as the release day is probably near the bottom of what matters. I know why the company might do this, I want to understand if you think there's an end goal for the group outside of any benefits it might give the company.

• US success was always a thing JYP wanted. It’s not even a recent thing. This is a reoccurring story for him. Wonder Girls was his first attempt. After WGs failed, Miss A and Twice focused more on Asia. Twice’s success in Japan was great. JYP should be astonished and grateful. That’s the 2nd biggest market in the world, but BTS broke through in the US. That’s a good sign that maybe KPOP is ready to hit the US after all. THEN, BLACKPINK charts and start to gain momentum in the US. They beat Wonder Girls old records with almost zilch of the effort. (Of course, it wasn’t planned by YGE/YHS quite the opposite.) Now, it’s no longer just a failed dream. It’s possible. A kpop girl group is charting there and doing damn well. Now, everything is pointing to achieving that. TWICE doesn’t need the US but it’s extra cash flowing in (you can debate if it’s worth the decline in other markets) but it’s not just them. Stray Kidz and Itzy are obvious groups that appeal to the US market. Everything about the company these days is aiming for that success seen by BTS/BP in the US.

• They are more popular than every other group promoting in the west other than two. You should ask then why other groups are promoting in the west first. Because twice is bigger than all of them.

Why won’t the third biggest kpop group in the west promote there. Silly question.

Firstly, I'm going to obviously talk about Twice here because I don't care for any other group.

Secondly, Twice are not every other kpop group. What's the opportunity cost for other groups in terms of promoting in Japan/South Korea versus the west? The public don't care for 95% of kpop groups so what are they missing out on by promoting west?

Kard are one of the groups that have massively depended on fans outside of SK but that's purely because SK do not care for them.

• I mean, if you don't like where TWICE's musical direction is going, you can just stop listening to them. It's very clear that TWICE isn't going to stop promoting in the west. And you said it yourself, you stan TWICE for the music, and if you don't like where their music is going, then why continue stanning.

• I don't think there's much room for TWICE to grow in Korea and Japan anymore. So they have to try somewhere else.

They could just maintain what they have, but I guess JYPE wants more money.

If Twice didn't have anymore room to grow the GP wouldn't have abandoned them as soon as they tried new sounds. Their identity in South Korea was never built or developed past happy/bright music/members.

• Firstly I barely post anymore and the only reason I talk about it is because the change is becoming increasingly pervasive in everything they do. None of my favourite songs for Twice are their biggest singles so I don't care for that. Being bringing up relevance and success is purely down to the group/members needing that for longevity purposes.

This year they've put out Taste of Love which is one of their weakest minis and Perfect World which is below both BDZ and &Twice in terms of quality for me. I talk about it because it impacts nearly everything that matters with respect to following a musical act. I'm not following the group because I find their personalities refreshing or how they do loads of their own variety content.

The fact that you think Monday releases constitutes them trying doesn't make sense to me as the release day is probably near the bottom of what matters. I know why the company might do this, I want to understand if you think there's an end goal for the group outside of any benefits it might give the company.

It's not about you posting anymore or whatever. From what I have observed, I have never seen you praise the members or talk about their music in general but just complain about JYPE.

TOL is the highest rated GG album. I think you're the only one who thinks its a "weak" mini. It's fine if you don't like their music anymore but like you said, you don't stan them for their personalities or whatever, maybe you need to find another group who releases the music you like. Because honestly speaking, music has to be one of the weakest complaint I've ever seen because TWICE, in the past couple of years, have put out their best and got critical acclaim.

Just like Friday releases favours the Western market, Monday releases are ideal for Korean charts. There is a reason why everyone comebacks on Monday. Even excluding that, TWICE do appear on variety shows like Running Man, Radio Star, Amazing Saturday etc along with music shows as a form of promotion. I mean, what else do they need to do?

I don't know what's the end goal but TWICE have had massive success in SK and are the biggest Kpop GG in Japan by a large margin. Now, they are not doing as well in those two markets (for several reasons) why not try for a newer/bigger market that everyone is targeting? I mean, what's the harm in that?

If you had said, JYPE should promote the members individually instead of promoting in the West, I might agree.

• I mean, if you don't like where TWICE's musical direction is going, you can just stop listening to them. It's very clear that TWICE isn't going to stop promoting in the west. And you said it yourself, you stan TWICE for the music, and if you don't like where their music is going, then why continue stanning.

Well that is exactly why my interest is lessening as the months go on and I frequent this sites less and less. At this point I'm just waiting to see what they do at the end of their contracts to see if any members put out solos/sub-units that will match my taste but the longevity of the group/members is being impacted by the short-term nature of kpop groups, especially at JYPE with their management.

• TOL is the highest rated GG album. I think you're the only one who thinks its a "weak" mini.

He isn't. I also think it's their worst release in years. In fact I think the only one worse is the first one maybe.

• Firstly, I'm going to obviously talk about Twice here because I don't care for any other group.

Secondly, Twice are not every other kpop group. What's the opportunity cost for other groups in terms of promoting in Japan/South Korea versus the west? The public don't care for 95% of kpop groups so what are they missing out on by promoting west?

Kard are one of the groups that have massively depended on fans outside of SK but that's purely because SK do not care for them.

You’re asking why Kpop needs to promote in the west fundamentally? There is more money there. Even 1% reach is more money than entire Korea. The reason hallyu exists is because Kpop is profitable when exported lol.

Common sense.

• I don't know how much you used the old site but I used to post about their performance and music more than most. I used to write out paragraph after paragraph reviewing their releases. The cynic in me has stemmed from the obvious issues Twice were having back in 2019 but no attempts to fix it.

As a fan from debut I liked them for their quintessential kpop sound, which is why western fans and publications didn't rate the group at first. They're now putting out more westernized music than ever (with Taste of Love being their most westernised release) and are therefore getting more critical acclaim from western publications. Great? The thing is this was one of my points in the OP. Western success and attention has been put on such a pedestal within the fandom now that western publications have started paying any attention to the group. 2019 was a strong year musically for them, 2020 just a bit worse and 2021 being near the bottom.

If the day you release impacts how well your song does than you can't be that relevant to the public. IU doesn't release on Mondays. BTS/BP don't either. How does any of that promotion over the period of the last 2 years make the public see them as more mature? When it comes to public promotion Twice have never left their comfort zone. Whether that's down to the members not wanting to do things such as live singing shows that carry a more mature audience who knows.

The harm in my mind is that at JYPE the opportunity cost is bigger. What the group and members individually could potentially miss out on with this approach as they approach the twilight of their kpop career as a group.

• You’re asking why Kpop needs to promote in the west fundamentally? There is more money there. Even 1% reach is more money than entire Korea. The reason hallyu exists is because Kpop is profitable when exported lol.

Common sense.

No - where on earth have I asked that? This thread is specifically about Twice and their particular circumstances clearly. Hence why I mentioned Kard and opportunity costs.

Why are you chatting about common sense whilst not comprehending the thread properly.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!