Why is Jihyo so popular but her music don’t do well on the charts?

• She got viral tweets daily on Twitter, way more than Nayeon even, but her song is failing on the charts, both in Korea and globally, even though the song quality is good. What’s the reason?

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• probably because you're on akp too much

yeah nayeon gets no clout here

but she's still THE most well known face and voice of twice to the general public

recognition among a bigger audience sells more than hardcore fandom

not to mention, jihyo's song was forgettable af and nayeon's song was one of the best of the year

not saying that matters in charting anyway

u r m o m g a y

1e1282e4806e9f6f1080ccc53055ea21c0a98974.gifv6cc52730ebd88d19753cac6a9c1436f129e99705.gifv

• It's a shame, she has such a fun personality for varieties. I like watching Lee Mujin's show where idols get to show off their vocals but most of the time the way the show is set up, the interview portions seem really stiff and formal when compared to other varieties like Bam Bam's show or Fearless Kura.

But Jihyo was super charming and actually kept it real with her stories giving us more insight into her and Twice's past.

• Not popular in Korea, only one time I've seen a truly viral tweet about her, and honestly being in Twice + JYP jaywhypeeing held her back a lot imo. Killing Me Good is perfect for the image she seems to want but the image she wants isn't what people want.

BLACKPINKJESSICANEWJEANSSEJEONGTHE ROSETWICEYERIN BAEKYUKIKA

d5d89d5cd0ded673ad05b4ad8aa66c2a681af589.webpdd50b6cd6932ff0d00806a3981d3928185ee94c1.webp889793cb4f55d557baefb7c564c4b94a3129681d.webp

• She got viral tweets daily on Twitter, way more than Nayeon even, but her song is failing on the charts, both in Korea and globally, even though the song quality is good. What’s the reason?

Incels can't handle a strong woman.

• It hasn't even been a week yet 😂 Remember when we proclaimed the death of ITZY after Cake and now they're holding pretty steady.

Heck I remember last year we called Nayeon's solo underwhelming and Pop refused to die on the charts.

Maybe Jihyo doesn't chart in the end, who knows, but don't change the fact that it's a great album.

Nightmare

Killin Me Good

Wishin on You

Room

Don't Wanna Go Back

Top tier tracks gifted to us. Stream them y'all!

• You’re finally back after your ban got lifted :woow:

Urgh i’m not ready for the onslaught of rubbish threads that are about to plague this place soon :pepe-shame:

• the song is just ok. it has the same sound and image as a lot of twice's newest music has, and while some of the fandom might enjoy it, it isn't what the gp wants from twice or their members and that's showing again and again in their charting

but, u know, the girls like the songs they're picking. jihyo obviously put her soul into her mini album. maybe it will chart better with all of her promotions, maybe it won't. she was never one of the popular members so i don't think expectations were that high to begin with

she's selling incredibly well tho

ɪ

cf2178e469192fe5d3974a86c101545f41e74afb.gifv

• and no twt stans raving about her looks doesn't translate to actual popularity. chances are most of those people don't and won't support her by streaming or buying. they like to hype certain idols but their hype doesn't have any real power

ɪ

cf2178e469192fe5d3974a86c101545f41e74afb.gifv

• Not popular in Korea, only one time I've seen a truly viral tweet about her, and honestly being in Twice + JYP jaywhypeeing held her back a lot imo. Killing Me Good is perfect for the image she seems to want but the image she wants isn't what people want.

Agreed. I see fans on SM all the time blaming JYP or the producers or whomever for the charting failures and i just feel bad for them. Jihyo clearly had input in what she wanted her debut to look like, not all idols are songwriters of course, but a 8 year veteran idol has to have a good idea of what they want to do for their solo debuts in terms of musical styles, lyrics, visual concepts, promotional activities, etc. I've even read that JYPE suggested a ballad that the GP might like for her debut, but that Jihyo chose an RnB type track instead.

• Agreed. I see fans on SM all the time blaming JYP or the producers or whomever for the charting failures and i just feel bad for them. Jihyo clearly had input in what she wanted her debut to look like, not all idols are songwriters of course, but a 8 year veteran idol has to have a good idea of what they want to do for their solo debuts in terms of musical styles, lyrics, visual concepts, promotional activities, etc. I've even read that JYPE suggested a ballad that the GP might like for her debut, but that Jihyo chose an RnB type track instead.

And it's kind of tragic because it's so reminiscent of Luna. Both had better, more GP friendly songs that they wrote themselves on their album but went the wrong route with the title.

There were better avenues she could have gone

BLACKPINKJESSICANEWJEANSSEJEONGTHE ROSETWICEYERIN BAEKYUKIKA

d5d89d5cd0ded673ad05b4ad8aa66c2a681af589.webpdd50b6cd6932ff0d00806a3981d3928185ee94c1.webp889793cb4f55d557baefb7c564c4b94a3129681d.webp

• Fontana and Lindgren. They have tanked every Twice song and have had a single hit in their entire career. Boy With Live like 4 or 5 years ago. Inspite of working with top groups since that time, Twice, BP, BTS, TxT, Enhypen, etc, etc they haven't managed another hit with their terrible, out of date shit.

Killing Me Good tanked everywhere for the same reason Set Me Free and Scientist did and the same reason Pop didn't. Those songs were made by Melanie Fontana and her dufus husband Lindgren..

• You’re finally back after your ban got lifted :woow:

Urgh i’m not ready for the onslaught of rubbish threads that are about to plague this place soon :pepe-shame:

Kinda makes you yearn for more of my hot takes, doesnt it?

Fontana and Lindgren. They have tanked every Twice song and have had a single hit in their entire career. Boy With Live like 4 or 5 years ago. Inspite of working with top groups since that time, Twice, BP, BTS, TxT, Enhypen, etc, etc they haven't managed another hit with their terrible, out of date shit.

Killing Me Good tanked everywhere for the same reason Set Me Free and Scientist did and the same reason Pop didn't. Those songs were made by Melanie Fontana and her dufus husband Lindgren..

Boy With Love and Scientist are two of the greatest songs in Kpop though, you gotta cut them more slack.

• People really don’t remember the average start Nayeon got as well until Pop went viral on TikTok :pepe-narrow-eyes: Having a Stray Kids member as well would have boosted her project. This is just what happens when you debut solo after a groups thunder is gone.

Jihyo is a good example of how promo goes only as far as the song and how popular you are to garner interest. She has done some of the biggest YouTube variety shows in SK and I don’t think any has trended there. :pepe-cross:

Lacklustre international performance is more due to the song and lack of Twice excitement. Even their last group track barely managed to get on Global Spotify so not sure why people are surprised Jihyo doesn’t

• She did outsell a bunch of nugus.

• She did outsell a bunch of nugus.

Utterly putrid. Should've skipped on that flop artist Jihyo and used that extra cash to extend Tzuyu twice the amount of years she wanted.

• Jihyo isn’t that popular in Korea. She is known of course but being known doesn’t translate to people being her fan.

Jihyo made a great album that is honestly better than most of what any. Female Kpop soloist has put out. It’s not perfect but it’s good. She also sold insanely well. Chart performance would be nice but as long as you can sell well that could offset the bad chart performance.

Finally I will always maintain that JYP waited way too long to start pushing the girls independently. Maybe that is partially the way the girls wanted it but I still think it was a mistake to their individual popularity.

• How are people ignoring that Jihyo sold 500k albums? Like I'm not even worried. Nayeon's album did well globally but Jihyo's is selling double already in the first week.

When it comes to Twice the group has to literally do everything or it’s shit. To be fair that really the mentality of all Kpop fans. Either you chart number 1 on Melon, hit every international chart, sell 10 million albums, doa. Stadium tour in every country or you are a failure.

• Eh, I think she is simply doing music she enjoys but which simply isn't trendy on charts atm. Once she wants to chart better and chase bigger commercial success she can do it with song that is suitable for that.

Jihyo has bad taste in music...jk.

The album is good but the title is a bit shit...for my taste anyway. But hey after 18 years in the industry/training I suppose she can release what she wants..

• Jihyo has bad taste in music...jk.

The album is good but the title is a bit shit...for my taste anyway. But hey after 18 years in the industry/training I suppose she can release what she wants..

It is not even about how long she is in the industry. She is successful to do whatever she wants and earn millions, there is no reason for her to force herself to do music she doesn't enjoy for few more dollars :check-bee:

• I think it was a wrong song choice and imo not enough effort put on the music video I even think Misamo song was better in terms of production, sets etc.I'm sure if she came out with a better song (like a miss a kind of song) I'm sure she would have done well on the charts. ( like Nayeon) I don't think it has to do with popularity but it has to do with the song.

• It is not even about how long she is in the industry. She is successful to do whatever she wants and earn millions, there is no reason for her to force herself to do music she doesn't enjoy for few more dollars :check-bee:

Maybe not for money but for fan enjoyment. Some of Twices recent music has not been loved by their fans hence the drop of 1-2m daily streams over the last few months in spite of selling better than ever and having the biggest tour of their careers....the fans are here, in more forces than ever...but they aren't engaging with their latest offerings as much...

Like I know Twice claim to love this era of their sound and want to make songs like KMG and SMF...but those songs ain't resonating with their fans like Pop and The Feels...I don't know it's a strange one...

On one hand you don't want to be a dictator and force your faves to do music they don't like...but also at the end of the day it's a music business and if you don't enjoy your bias groups songs and huge part of the enjoyment and engagement vanishes for a lot of fans

• Eh, if there is any drop in spotify numbers I think it is mostly due to twice music not heading into direction casual fans want, on the other hand onces are definitely pleased with twice's music and growth.

• Eh, I think she is simply doing music she enjoys but which simply isn't trendy on charts atm. Once she wants to chart better and chase bigger commercial success she can do it with song that is suitable for that.

It’s nice to see that Kpop fans exist that don’t have a perpetual Kpop fan brain and can see that maybe an artist just wants to make the music they like even if it’s not trendy.

• This thread contains 39 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!