I don't think people outside stan twitter hate kpop as much as people think they do

• Like when i first heard about kpop, i never had any pre conceived notions about it being "manufactured" or "bad' or a "dark industry"

maybe its because i'm not from a western country but my assumption of kpop was that it would be similar to folk songs and regional music where it will have specific attributes from that region for eg.- that they wil use traditional music instruments belonging to that region etc

of course that was not true. kpop was very modern and had catchy music you can groove to and i loved this about kpop

it makes me wonder if there is a difference in how fans from different parts of the world view kpop before delving deep into it and if the way the media captures kpop in their country plays a part in it :/

what about you? did u have any negative impressions about kpop? was it because the way it was shown in your media or because of kpop stans etc? i'm curious :eyes:

Edited once, last by tetetete ().

• In my country at least there are a lot of kpop stans, kpop isn’t mainstream. But at least BTS and BP get a little bit mediaplay here.

Also I can tell BP are huge I mean the crowd during Jisoo PFW was insane.

It seems like lately people aren’t afraid to admit they’d kpop fans you don’t get bullied or dragged

• In my country at least there are a lot of kpop stans, kpop isn’t mainstream. But at least BTS and BP get a little bit mediaplay here.

Also I can tell BP are huge I mean the crowd during Jisoo PFW was insane.

ooh u are french?? :woow:

bonjour je m'appelle tetetetetetetetetete :love:

on a serious note, other than bts and bp who i think get mentioned for there achievements, what's the general opinion about kpop? like what was the impression u had about kpop before u got into it or u had no idea about it?

• I don't think that's true. The negative notions come either from the dark side of the industry shit or the bad rep of k-pop fans as idolising the groups and not being able to take any opinions.

These exist outside of stan twt too. Though I agree these seem more common in western media since I wasn't aware of these things.

From what I've observed it seems to be changing little by little. I've had adult men in meetings tell us that they like listening to kpop as a hobby with their daughters. It's something that they bond over.

My assumption about k-pop was that these are just meme type of fun songs. I saw k-pop videos like Gangnam Style, Dumb dumb by RV and this...

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

That's what I thought k-pop was. Even after getting into BTS, I used to look for other acts on yt but I remember giving up after this :pepe-back-away:

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I only started actively listening to other k-pop acts again in late 2019.

• honestly no, i don't think non kpop fans hates it, they just seem not interested by it but not hating it

and most of this come from some kind of internalized xenophobia

My nephew who's a fan of french rap, really like to listen to Red velvet and Blackpink song + Next level

i think most of the non kpop fans doesn't even know it's manufacture etc... because they aren't interested enough to make the research to learn about this.

But once you put them in front of a kpop mv or song, i know a lot of them sometimes likes it, they just never tried it because like i said "internalized xenophobia" and they think that it have no goal to listen to songs they don't understand

✩We Born with the X-Gene✩

aespa Brand Concept Day Photoshoot Behind - Pantip aespa Brand Concept Day Photoshoot Behind - Pantip

• I do think they do, but I never cared what people thought of what I liked. No one's ever really personally given me shit for it, but I don't give off the air of being someone you want to mess with. I have HEARD lots of snide comments though, especially about boy groups. They get the worst flack because Asian males are very much stereotypically emasculated in the US and ones who also sing, dance and wear make-up. GASP. The perception is only now starting to change.

• As others have mentioned,most of it stems from toxic masculinity and racism/xenophobia

Boy bands are already stigmatized as it is,combine that with k-pop's flashiness and the fact that it's not part of the ''US/Global mainstream'' realm,people can easily perceive it as weird and not worthy giving respect.

• ooh u are french?? :woow:

bonjour je m'appelle tetetetetetetetetete :love:

on a serious note, other than bts and bp who i think get mentioned for there achievements, what's the general opinion about kpop? like what was the impression u had about kpop before u got into it or u had no idea about it?

Well GS was a huge hit in France but no one knew PSY was Korean they were just listening without checking his background that’s the not 1st time not even in France but in general a lot of kpop songs went viral but no one knows it’s Korean. It seems like kpop has the potential to be more mainstream it’s just companies doing the wrong moves and tactics.

Add the fact that there aren’t any Asian representation, if Asians artists from western countries were mainstream people would be more opened to kpop.

• As others have mentioned,most of it stems from toxic masculinity and racism/xenophobia

Boy bands are already stigmatized as it is,combine that with k-pop's flashiness and the fact that it's not part of the ''US/Global mainstream'' realm,people can easily perceive it as weird and not worthy giving respect.

what about you? did u have any negative impressions about kpop? was it because the way it was shown in your media or because of kpop stans etc?

• honestly they probably don't care about it at all

like kpop?

what's that?

External Content www.youtube.com

• what about you? did u have any negative impressions about kpop? was it because the way it was shown in your media or because of kpop stans etc?

Not in the slightest lol,I liked it right away.I didn't have any exposure to it before discovering it so I went into it without any prejudice.

I definitely saw it as a guilty pleasure though..and I still kind of do.

what about you? did u have any negative impressions about kpop? was it because the way it was shown in your media or because of kpop stans etc? i'm curious

childish , lipsyc ,everyone looks the same and does the same thing ,like robots with no personality and no identity

yep, that's was my first impression after watching inkigayo, music core, m-countdown , etc.... (until now i always hated this kind of show )

big thanks to some groups who do live in their concert to show me the true potential of kpok

“ < 4 you & her

• You are right. Most of them don't give a damn about kpop. The only thing is they steteotype kpop as kidz bop and view male idols as feminine or look alikes because of p.s.

• I was more familiar with jpop so I assumed they were all as controlling and corrupt as Johnny & Associates, but they aren't. No one in kpop has shit on Johnny Kitagawa when it comes to being the fucking worst.

• My first experience with kpop was bad. This was before I realized that Gangnam style is also kpop.

I didn’t like the music. Concluded that it was just another form of shallow music. This notion stuck with me for a long time and was the reason why I was late in giving BTS a chance. I assumed kpop was all the same, just generally bad.

And I don’t agree that non kpop stans have a better perception of kpop before they delve into it. It’s even worse. I don’t know how many times I’ve been looked down on for saying that I listen to BTS.

• A lot of people make fun of it saying it's gay, trash, bad singers, can only dance, lipsynced, horny fans, etc.

My experience with K-pop fans was people spamming fancams under unrelated tweets like a bunch of immature kids, so it didn't leave a good impression.

• My experience with K-pop fans was people spamming fancams under unrelated tweets like a bunch of immature kids, so it didn't leave a good impression.

This is why everyone hates Loona.

• i remember i read this thread last time lol

https://www.reddit.com/r/kpopt…the_most_passively_hated/

wow that was an interesting read

i agree that the sentiment towards justin beiber used to be vile and now i see a similar sentiment towards kpop/bts now

but i usually see these sentiments online y'know and it always makes me wonder if i'm seeing the loud minority or the majority of people are like this

• I didn't hate kpop when I was a non kpop fan. I just thought it was weird. And I see many other non-kpop fans around me feel that way as well. They just don't get the hype. But that doesn't make any person hate kpop as a genre itself. Hate is a strong word. Most of the hate towards kpop outside stan twitter stems from xenophobia.

𝐁𝐓𝐒 ♡ 𝐁𝐥𝐚𝐜𝐤𝐩𝐢𝐧𝐤 ♡ 𝐀𝐞𝐬𝐩𝐚

c09dafd21a568e816f2cb77504fa56a8086e9412.gifv

• When I first heard about Kpop, I found it a bit cheesy and not for me - like some of the 2nd Gen stuff was just a little too “hmm.” It wasn’t Kpop stans but the content itself - I thought it was all cutesy girls singing in a high pitched voice like “Gee” and fun but kind of out of date stuff like Super Junior. I had a friend who was a shawol and while stuff like Lucifer was a bop, other stuff could sometimes be a “hmm.”

So it was too bubble gum pop or out of date for me as the negatives. Then once I got into EXO, I found that most people had many of those same perceptions and that’s continued to this day.

I think that people that talk about it being manufactured are perhaps coming from the rock/alt perspective because I never heard people talking about it being any more manufactured than other mainstream pop stars like Britney or Ariana. 🤷🏽‍♀️ People expect pop to be manufactured in a way that’s different from other genres.

I think teenage boys are more worried about the “they’re wearing makeup,” “that’s gay” homophobic garbage while the bulk of what I hear people assume is that it’s either for (often hysterical) teenage girls and the surprise that there are different styles and music. Everyone assumes it’s just cotton candy pop and are floored when they hear complex r&b harmonies, power vocals or thumping hip hop.

I mean like yes, I’m playing the hell out of these songs but people in the drive thru bopping to it ask me who it is and are shocked when I say it’s Kpop:

External Content open.spotify.com

External Content open.spotify.com

(The older ladies I went to lunch with my auntie with were obsessed with this song ^^)

..............................................................................................................perfume

1a8e5b24bf1c6ccaa1e5bd8ca4a707841e1abe65.gif31addbb43f8bc3a9c9e7fff75dd7f232c5839f1f.gifd752226429a326c0a6d90dfff22926c1961158d1.gif

• Western mainstream media have done a 'fine' job turning away people with their articles and documentaries.

I've had the standard 'Kpop is manufactured, they're all robots' type of response when I said I liked it by a great variety of people.

Probably don't like the competition for Western artists, who they can somehow see as individuals no matter how problematic.

• As for the music, I listened to J-rock, rock-based J-pop and classical; and despised pop, electronic and hip-hop. I hated any song using virtual instruments in lieu of real instruments. I thought K-pop was all bubblegum and club bangers, so I :pepe-love-not: .

Now, here I am :pepe-shame:.

• I got into Kpop before the Gangnam style craze and almost no one outside Asia knew what kpop was.

The only thing i knew were some idols from watching Kdramas. So, I went into kpop expecting nothing. I checked out SHINee and i saw them dancing and wearing all those weird outfits and crazy hairstyles, and so much color. I liked it because it was something different from the music in my home country and other popular music i knew at the time.

People around me just think Kpop is kids/teenage girls' music with no depth.

• As for the music, I listened to J-rock, rock-based J-pop and classical; and despised pop, electronic and hip-hop. I hated any song using virtual instruments in lieu of real instruments. I thought K-pop was all bubblegum and club bangers, so I :pepe-love-not: .

Now, here I am :pepe-shame:.

Me when I first got exposed to kpop, but they didn't even have club bangers then. It was mostly just cute love songs, dancing, and bad hair.

So much bad hair.

• I guess now that k-pop has evolved people are generally more ready to accept it

As much as I hold 2nd gen dear to my heart,even I have to admit that everything was a lot...cornier back then lol,from the visuals to the sound.

But then again,I feel like that's what made it feel more like ''k-pop''.

They actually catered to Korea's taste and there wasn't as much aspiration for appealing to ''the west'' or ''being global''.It truly felt more ..''Korean'' if that makes sense.2nd gen k-pop was a true niche of its own,in every sense of that word.

• Here's what I've seen as a kpop stan for 5 years.

1: Some people generalise and define kpop as something it isn't based on only one song

2: Lots of xenophobia is shown like people have already mentioned in this thread. It's a big problem that has to change

3: Almost anything that is liked by MAINLY teenage or young adult girls are bound to get hated on

Kpop is slowly becoming more mainstream though. I see tiktoks of teachers in the US who play kpop songs in their classrooms not because it's seen as trendy, but they actually enjoy doing it. I know someone who's teacher loves NCT and Stray Kids.

• This thread contains 10 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!