Posts by rubyjanes

I don't blame them. With how popular kpop has become globally, getting your nugu idols in a festival lineup is very difficult because of all the competition, but with Russia many groups aren't willing to travel there (or aren't allowed, I believe you have to get permission to visit which can be a lengthly bureaucratic process) and so why not? A gig is a gig.

This is also nice for the fans. Even before the war Russia is culturally isolated compared to other European countries, it must be a rare privilege for these fans to get to see foreign acts visit and perform.

it's sad that somu has completely abandoned Gfriend like they almost didn't exist by not renewing the domain of their website, but people are willfully misinterpreting this to be much more malicious than it is. When a website domain isn't renewed, it's free for anyone to use, and salacious business often look to plunder popular domains to promote their services to new audiences. Anyone acting like Somu deliberately sold it to the prostitution company is a bit dense

When KIOF first began to be noticed for their vocals by netizens it wasn't that people were praising any particular member for being a stellar vocalist, rather their choice to sing live at music shows and festivals more often than any other 4th gen group was doing at the time garnered them praise and attention

A Youtube vocal coach was talking up KIOF, but I think she just lost all credibility for me. tbh I don't think she even knows what supported means.

There is a male Youtube vocal coach too, but 1/2 the stuff he says is nonsense.

For me, I only rate BM now, but we haven't really seen a real live live performance of them yet.

Youtube "vocal coaches" reek of BS. I've never seen one that has actual credentials working with acclaimed vocalists like Beyonce or Adele, it's always random people that advertise online vocal lessons and make "vocal analysis" videos that either cater to fans by praising the artist or try to capitalize on hate-trains by giving harsh negative analysis. They use technical sounding terms like "supported" and "A5 note", "F sharp", etc. to sound more convincing to uneducated viewers.

I'm curious though your thoughts on NMIXX and Aespa? Most people would rate them even higher than BM.

The particular controversial encore seems like an off-day for them rather than indicative of an inherent flaw in the group. Julie sounds almost just like the track (which she usually does as the rapper her lines require less vocal manipulation), Haneul is pitchy but loud and stable, Natty's distinctive timbre that she is known and loved for leaned too far on the nasly and raspy side today, probably due to vocal strain. Belle sounds worse for wear, most likely due to her bad vocal technique that has her squeezing out unsupported whistle and high notes daily.

Overall I would say people who use this video as proof that KIOF talent is is a lie are jumping the gun, eager to take them down over one off day. However as a fan it does concern me that if they don't begin using better vocal techniques (esp Natty and Belle), performances like this will become more common

It was obvious from the start "Bubble Gum" is an interpolation of "Easier Said Than Done," before however people were making the good faith assumption that the original arist either gave permission for the interpolation or that the original song was public domain and so asking permission was unnecessary. Now with the original artist speaking up it seems this assumption was false.

Obviously the reason this even became an issue in the first place is because Newjeans/MHJ antis made it an issue and brought it to the original artists attention, however these uncouth origins don't mean Shakatak are any less deserving of justice.

I am a fan of Newjeans and lean toward the Ador/MHJ side of the Hybe war, however fandom is no reason to excuse plagarism. Taking plagiarism claims seriously or not based on how much you like the artist sets a bad precedent for the music industry and kpop fans should really quit. Although using this case as an opportunity to dunk on MHJ out of spite is also inexcusable and inappropriate

Since 2018 when BP's success exploded and then was quickly followed by the scandals of 2019 that gutted YG internally and then covid in 2020 serving the final blow, YG operates like a rusty 20 year old car on the brink of blowing it's engine for good, it can only move at 15 mph when it should be speeding to give it's top moneymakers comebacks

people are just desperate to draw these generation distinctions so that they can manufacture some achievements for their nugu faves (ex. "X is the most streamed BG of the 5th gen on spotify") and so they can make bold claims about their faves (ex. "X is the it girl of the 5th gen") without other kpop fans jumping down their necks for giving the faves unwarranted praise

This is annoying but I'm not really worried that the re-emgence of these plagarism accusations will hurt Newjeans. truth is people only care about plagiarism when it can be used as a valid reason to bash a group they already hated for no good reason, see how people immediately jumped on the much less substantial claims that LSF plagiarized Rosalia when it was more accurately inspiration, but people didn't really care either way they were just ready to use the littlest thing to jump down the neck of a group that was beginning to annoy them. Newjeans still has the public on their side as a whole, so a little plagarism squabble with a nugu british band from the 80s probably wont affect them

I don't know what concept they'll aim for because I'm no psychic, however I was recently thinking what a pity that Unforgiven was released before the controversy, that song and concept would've been the perfect gasoline to add to the fire and totally explode the buzz around LSF if they released it post controversy.

Plus, the cheeky self-awareness of the song could actually sway some public opinion and win back a little bit of positive sentiment