Posts by rubyjanes

It is true that it's strange how when ITZY debuted everyone predicted them to be the next big thing and be at least included in the BP-TW-RV of the 4th gen, but then over time their hype died off. However ITZY is still more successful than 99% of kpop idols so I wouldn't pity them

I'll hold off any final designation as either "flop" or "bop" until I can hear the studio version, videos recorded on an iphone from a concert never capture sound correctly. But it sounds cute for a pre-release/b-side. This is the pre-release not the tt right? If it were a title I would say a bit disappointing. The beat is fast paced and repetitive, sounds like they're almost experimenting with a hyperpop kinda thing. I'm interested with the parts where the members sing really fast, almost verging on rapping... I wonder if they'll be able to keep up when they eventually sing it live

Compared to some other shows this one is really too processed. Bad Boy performance was really bland for me because of this, probably a company choice to make the girls sound good since some of them gonna make the debut team, but makes the performance less enjoyable. If we got this for auditions, the other rounds probably gonna be worse.

I've watched all seasons of Produce + Girls & Boys planet + Sixteen and on all those shows the contestants sang live on the first stages (even though the editors may choose to cut out the vocal cracks of the trainees they like and highlight the cracks of the trainees they dislike). This is my first time watching a survival show like this. I guess since the company already has in mind who they want to make the final lineup they want to make those trainees look as perfect as possible, but then at that point why even have a survival show at all if they aren't showing the contestants raw skills? The company should just pick the lineup they want and air a debut documentary.

1. I must admit--despite how much I don't want to--hybe really did set aside all the good songs for their rookie gg, NewJeans is on a solid gold streak since their debut (although if Ditto were released in 2023 instead of the last days of 2022 it would take OMG's spot on this list)

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

2. Dream Catcher has been hit or miss for me recently with their tts but they've shown that it's possible for a kpop group to stick to a genre for several years without abandoning their sound or running it into the ground, so major props to Dreamcatcher.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

3. LE SSERAFIM is the most sonically interesting out of the 4th gen ggs, there. I said it. When they decide to they're serving house beats the likes of which are previously unknown to kpop. Rosalia who?

4. Loona may have crashed and burned in a dumpster fire, and TripleS may be a girl group comprised of random women picked off the street, but that Jaden Jeong guy knows how to write a kpop song goddamit!

5. This song was fun and I'm relieved to see that Chaeyeon's boring debut didn't become her peak

This group exists in a weird zone where they're not "korean enough" for the kpop market but they're also "too kpop esque" for the western market. It's a shame because the girls seem about as talented as your average kpop group but lack a loyal target audience.

look I believe no one here from us believes those evil edits

but in same time there are still girls which will set themselves up on camera

Oh I totally agree. While the editing teams can manipulate the footage to fit into a narrative, at the end of the day they can't invent footage out of thin air. Thats why the contestants have to remember that they can't "evil edit" unless you provide them the footage to do so. So of course the contestants themselves do bare some of the responsibility

I find it ridiculous how fast kpop stans turned their back on Bora, after the 1st episode she was one of the most rooted for contestants but as quickly as ep 2 people fell for mnets narrative. Kpop stans will defend untalented idols saying things like "they have potential they just need to improve" or "they may not have talent but they have it factor" until they take their dying breath but when it comes to one of the few 4th gen idols who can actually hold a note and SING they turn their backs on her for playing the game strategically and actually competing on a COMPETITION REALITY SHOW.

Bora should leave kpop in the dust and start in a musical or release her own ballads.