"3rd generation is more successful than 2nd generation because they sold out to the west"

• Do you agree with this statement?

I don't completely agree with it even if 3rd generation had groups like Bts, Blackpink, Twice and EXO.

These groups had an impact in kpop without doubt but I think 2nd generation kpop groups were more influential and more known to the public, their impact and legacy are here to stay and they also started the hallyu wave so 3rd generation could walk.

2nd generation had huge hits and good album sales without having the same exposure to the west like kpop groups have right now, 500k was a miracle back in the days and all these groups would ofc sell more than that if debuted in 3rd-4th generation.

EXOEXIST - The 7th Album 2023.07.10
    https://i.postimg.cc/TYFk7v3d/letmeinexo-1.gif https://i.postimg.cc/G2XKvZf1/letmeinexo-2.gif

Edited once, last by KaiRismatic ().

• no i dont agree with htis statement

3rd generation is more successful because they are more successful

that's it

not because of west or east

the first ones are always remembered as special but the following ones always expand it much farther

in any field

u r m o m g a y

1e1282e4806e9f6f1080ccc53055ea21c0a98974.gifv6cc52730ebd88d19753cac6a9c1436f129e99705.gifv

• No. Every generation has taken what the previous gen managed, expanded on it, and became more successful than the one before it. Second gen is more successful than first.

Of course, like anything, it'll eventually reach a peak and plateau out or wind down, but it's fun to enjoy it while it lasts.

let's be friends

e9b8a6c6366aecb3faf71dcc6b4488775b109abb.gif

• 3rd gen are just bigger period. They exist in a time when media is more spreadable to global audiences and as such we've seen them reach heights domestically comparable to the biggest 2nd gen groups and they've far exceeded them internationally and done things 2nd gen wasn't able to do.

The rose tinted glasses need to come off as does the excuse making and whataboutism. 3rd gen is bigger across the board and it isn't just because of western success or chasing western popularity.

Also trying to claim or latch onto other groups success and achievements with 'opened the door', 'started the wave' or 'paved the way' just reeks of insecurity and wanting to absorb others legacy into your own to plump it up.

Your last point is invalid as I stan a 3rd generation group but still think 2nd generation was more influential.

A long time ago I read something about the boy group super junior literally being called Kings of the hallyu wave as they started to make kpop more popular internationally.

We can also say 3rd generation is helping 4th generation with international popularity, nothing wrong with it

https://i.postimg.cc/TYFk7v3d/letmeinexo-1.gif https://i.postimg.cc/G2XKvZf1/letmeinexo-2.gif

• They haven't sold out to the West. K-Pop has always been influenced by Western music. The fact that they're using the same songwriters and producers is proof of that.

K-Pop just had a wave of popularity that began on the internet. Just like every other music wave, someone took a chance and it paid off well because the public was curious and willing to spend money and time on it and then every company jumped on it because they also want money.

For real though, K-Pop is a win-win for the Western music market. Boy bands have always had a place and while it switches between dance based groups (BSB/NSYNC in the 90s) to emo/rock (Fall Out Boy/MCR in the 00s) and back (One Direction in the 2010s giving way to groups like 5SOS), but the biggest downfall is that the window tends to be small. Once the youth** starts to grow up and and get more financial responsibility, they're typically replaced by a new youth wave who wants something else. K-Pop gives them a cut of the money without as much of a loss because the Korean companies are the ones footing a majority of the bill. They can just pocket some money and when the bubble bursts, move on to the next thing.

**and yes before you say anything... I know K-Pop fans are all ages. I'm not part of the youth either, but that is still the primary target of K-Pop in the West.

• No needs to compare both different era also nowadays with the rise of social media it’s easier to determine the success a group.

Its like comparing 2nd gen to 1st gen, it’s pretty impossible to know how big 1st gen groups.

Even without social media 2nd generation groups were still more known to the public as they promoted a lot through variety shows and were more present on TV compared to new groups

I'm not saying 3rd generation wasn't successful, ofc there are big groups that were leading that generation

• "3rd generation is more successful than 2nd generation because they sold out to (SUCCEEDED) in the west"

Fixed it. Anyway this whole sold out thing is hilarious as wasn't some second gen trying to make it in the West going on shows or whatever but had no real lasting impact......

Doing something first doesn't guarantee impact.

These comparisons are always ridiculous 3rd gen stay thriving and 2nd gen was great for what it was.

• Even without social media 2nd generation groups were still more known to the public as they promoted a lot through variety shows and were more present on TV compared to new groups

I'm not saying 3rd generation wasn't successful, ofc there are big groups that were leading that generation

The only Korean variety shows that regularly book 3rd and 4th gen idols are Amazing Saturday (which only has two guest spots so the whole group can't even go) and Knowing Bros (which always gets terrible ratings when idol groups are on).

Every great once in a while you'll see a group on something else, but it's few and far between. The rest of the time it's 1st and 2nd gen idols because their fans still watch variety shows. Later gen idols are more likely to be on web shows or shows that are exclusive to streaming apps.

• I wouldn't use the words sold out...since sold out has a negative connotation

I would say that the 3rd generation built upon what the 2nd did and expanded to the west...

kpop at the end of the day is a product...and as a product you want as vast a market as one possibly can if you can sell albums to the entire world western or eastern or northern or southern or whatever good for you...

• "3rd generation is more successful than 2nd generation because they sold out to (SUCCEEDED) in the west"

Exactly, kpop producers were literally doing basic hip-hop, g funk and r&B beats back in the 90s. 2nd gen just didn't blow up worldwide even with that musical influence, and that's ok. 3rd gen picked up where they left off and took it to the next level.

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• First thing first, which public did you refer? The west? Obviously the third gen. Asian? It is the third gen except for China maybe. Probably in Korea yes, but it didn't even that much differences, if your group popular then public will know them. The thing how people see 3rd gen is bigger then 2nd gen is not about the audiences in the west but also the overall impact, and their achievements is still unbeatable even the new generation already started. 3rd gen able to beat the previous gen achievements or records, from sales, charts, or anything. You name it, even from the beginning of their generation. While theirs still untouchable by the 4th gen even after almost 4 or 5 year this gen started.

And for people who say they get advantages from the growth of social media, yes but it is not solely only because of it. Because, if that so, why didn't the new gen get more benefits from it and surpass them? It is not hard to admit that third gen producing a lot of good groups.

• So far it still looks like 3rd gen is the peak of kpop globally.

• I am sorry but you are going to ignore 1st gen? They have absolutely no social media besides youtube and radio for exposure. No facebook, no twitter and no instagram. Everyone was still using yahoo and friendster. Jesus Christ 2nd gen had more privileged than that, 1st gen should obviously be more iconic

:blehr::blehr::blehr:

Fe8TZRpaMAIFav2?format=jpg&name=large

ThinkAbouTzu, Tuwuice:pleading::pleading::pleading:

• I find this such a weird argument when I remember hearing and seeing Wonder Girls here in the US, not to mention Rain’s aggressive American push, and artists like G Dragon pairing with rappers like Missy Elliott. And that’s not even talking about Western writers on big hits like Lucifer and The Boys.

Kpop has always been looking to the West, just as it has always looked at Japan and any market where it can make money because this is a business.

The digital explosion did a lot more to popularize Kpop outside of Korea, but also changes the impact of artists, as digitally native generations grew up in an increasingly accessible global world. This also accelerated nichefication, particularly in music - you weren’t “trapped” with what was on the radio but could instead seek out only what you want to hear and talk about. We see this across the global industry - not just in Korea. It is entirely possible to be #1 on the US pop charts, sell the most and still have people not know who tf you are - this is not like 30 years ago where that was impossible simply because there were fewer options not just in music but TV channels, for instance. It was impossible not to know who Michael Jackson was, my parents tell me, but my grandma had no idea who tf Lady Gaga was. (And yet amusingly she knew EXO through me and called to tell me when they were on the Olympics.)

TV ratings have been declining for years in the US because people aren’t just limited to 3 channels but can choose from hundreds - or no TV at all, with digital options. TV ratings all over the world have been declining simply due to greater options. So it completely makes sense that artists do not seem as “big” or “well known” as they used to be (paradoxically of course because we have more immediate access 24/7).

(I also think it ignores the work many of those 2nd Gen artists do outside of Kpop - I’m reminded of the little girl who had no idea SHInee was a group but got excited because she knew Key from Amazing Saturday. Which is to say that a number of 2nd Gen Kpop stars are recognizable because they’re on TV regularly. I suspect there are lots of kids and teens who only know Heechul as a host and don’t even know the man is in a Kpop group.)

..............................................................................................................perfume

1a8e5b24bf1c6ccaa1e5bd8ca4a707841e1abe65.gif31addbb43f8bc3a9c9e7fff75dd7f232c5839f1f.gifd752226429a326c0a6d90dfff22926c1961158d1.gif

• I am sorry but you are going to ignore 1st gen? They have absolutely no social media besides youtube and radio for exposure. No facebook, no twitter and no instagram. Everyone was still using yahoo and friendster. Jesus Christ 2nd gen had more privileged than that, 1st gen should obviously be more iconic

:blehr::blehr::blehr:

I respect 1st generation too

Seo taji, H.O.T and SES being legends without all the privileges of new generations

• Why 2nd generation groups failed in the west? Is it because of lack of social media and exposure? The west wasn't yet ready to accept kpop?

• Remove BTS and I might give it a thought. BTS don't belong in these discussions. They are one of the biggest cultural icons Korea has ever had.

Including BTS, they are alone bigger and more impactful than the whole "2nd generation".

Wut? BTS has only FOUR songs that ever reached number 1 on Melon Daily charts. Even Twice has outcharted them digitally in Korea, let alone even huger acts like Bigbang which destroys BTS in terms of digitals.

BTS are cultural icons for their accomplishments, not their music.

• No I don't agree. Second gen imo will always be the most successful and iconic generation of K pop as there were so many groups and it's also the generation I got into K pop and I personally don't think any other era can replicate it. Sorry I don't have a better answer but that's how I feel.

• This thread contains 29 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!