how long was snsd's actual reign?

• i wasn't really into kpop then so idk.

i know wonder girls were #1 in 2007 and 2008 and then got shipped off to the us and never really came back the same. snsd had gee in 2009 and got the #1 spot. how long were they #1?

people talk about how after awhile other groups took over digitally, like 2ne1, sistar, t-ara, etc. and twice became the #1 girl group in 2016.

so was snsd considered the top girl group from 2009 all the way until 2015?

ɪ

cf2178e469192fe5d3974a86c101545f41e74afb.gifv

• Yup,pretty much until Twice and BP came on the scene.

SNSD always had competition digitally, but in other fields they were pretty much unreachable.

okay so a follow up question. is their dominance considered an anomaly? did any groups from 1st gen maintain their popularity for that length of time?

ɪ

• okay so a follow up question. is their dominance considered an anomaly? did any groups from 1st gen maintain their popularity for that length of time?

I don't recall anyone defining it like that lol,but now that you mention it I guess there really hasn't been a group to keep the #1 spot for that long.

• I don't recall anyone defining it like that lol,but now that you mention it I guess there really hasn't been a group to keep the #1 spot for that long.

i just thought it was interesting bc it seems like groups usually get about 3 or so years of being a dominant group before they lose popularity. not that they become flops or anything lol but they peak and then have a slow decline. was curious if snsd maintained that top spot consistently or if they were a top group but not necessarily the #1 group the entire time

ɪ

• i just thought it was interesting bc it seems like groups usually get about 3 or so years of being a dominant group before they lose popularity. not that they become flops or anything lol but they peak and then have a slow decline. was curious if snsd maintained that top spot consistently or if they were a top group but not necessarily the #1 group the entire time

They maintained it pretty consistently. CFs, Variety shows, etc they were EVERYWHERE

~ ω

• SNSD power was too big, they had better physicals than a lot of popular bgs (yes, in pshycals field ggs weren't even their competition), a lot of hits, were everywhere on tv (cfs, realitys etc) and their abnormal popularity wasn't only in Korea, but Asia overall. Everyone 2009-2015 agreed that SNSD was the 1 gg.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• just gonna use this opportunity to post one of my fav lives

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• So album sales is the most valuable metrics in ggs' dominance?

Hmm I don't think so, is more about how the group do in different areas, balance. SNSD brand power as a group and as individuals was impactiful, if they had only sales and no hits (and weren't known by the public) I don't think they would have taken the crown.

you have to have what others don't. if no one else is good at physical sales and you're 3-4x ahead, all you need it to be relatively comparable for everything else (not getting into all the variety show, cfs, etc dominance).

the only thing girl groups had were better digital sales from 2011-2015 but none of them were able to maintain for very long.

t-ara's hot digital streak was 2011-2012 (agency was too messy tho)

kara exploded in japan for 2-3 years

sistar had summer hits but were seasonal

2ne1 was the closest competition but YG didn't consistently promote them

some people could argue that there was no national gg from around 2013-2015 but snsd was always the top girl group, so in the absence of any serious competitors they extended their reign

• Didnt Kara has pretty good sales in Japan, I read their stats, they were the best selling gg before Twice in Japan

Fe8TZRpaMAIFav2?format=jpg&name=large

ThinkAbouTzu, Tuwuice:pleading::pleading::pleading:

• Yup,pretty much until Twice and BP came on the scene.

SNSD always had competition digitally, but in other fields they were pretty much unreachable.

SNSD power was too big, they had better physicals than a lot of popular bgs (yes, in pshycals field ggs weren't even their competition), a lot of hits, were everywhere on tv (cfs, realitys etc) and their abnormal popularity wasn't only in Korea, but Asia overall. Everyone 2009-2015 agreed that SNSD was the 1 gg.

From 2009 to 2015 they were the top GG and at times the outright top group in kpop

I wanted to post, but it's pretty much this.

'No more shall man have wings to bear him to paradise. Henceforth, he shall walk.'

SWJ1P.gif

Not sure if serious or just joking around, but if serious then no: album sales are only 1 of the metrics.

SNSD's dominance showed in that they topped practically all of the metrics - and at their peak even all - more so than other girl groups.

Whether it was about popularity in South Korea, youtube views, international recognition, album sales, CFs, digitals, music show wins, you name it, they were consistently #1 in as good as all of them, and top tier when they weren't - in a way no other girl group in those years could equal.

Additionally, they surpassed all other boy groups in album sales, regular Koreans knew all the members individually, and all of them had great individual success in their personal career pursuits: some were top variety idols, some CF queens, some enjoyed great successes in either drama shows or solo OSTs and solo or collab songs.

It was all this together for such an extensive period of time that made SNSD have such an impact and made them so legendary.

Even their setbacks and opposition were one of a kind: they were the first and only girl group that faced a black ocean and multiple black ocean attempts, they had the most, massive hostility of fandoms of their own sibling company groups (Super Junior, TVXQ), they had the largest, most active anti fandom STAND who were proud to call themselves that (instead of being called that by the fans of the group they hate) and who had their own sites more active than many fandom sites, and they experienced the weirdest sabotage attempts (like getting SNSD members' twitter accounts blocked as soon as they opened one).

'No more shall man have wings to bear him to paradise. Henceforth, he shall walk.'

SWJ1P.gif

Edited once, last by FoReveries ().

• they also got a bonsang on their 10th year

yeah No gg was doing like SNSD

even some of their biggest flop after 10th years of activities were able to chart #12 on Gaon digital

and were peaking higher than some groups are doing now on Billboard Japan hot 100

External Content twitter.com

✩We Born with the X-Gene✩

#aespa from GOMAWO TAEYEON #aespa from GOMAWO TAEYEON #aespa from GOMAWO TAEYEON

Edited once, last by SooYoung ().

• just gonna use this opportunity to post one of my fav lives

Awww I miss those big events with all those screams and chants that we used to get pre macarona :pepe-sad::pepe-sad:

• I dont understand what you mean when you say none of the other groups were able to maintain for very long.

2NE1's chart performance was mindblowing and they did it their entire career, so was Sistar's. SNSD's chart performance looks no better and you could even argue was actually less consistent.

Sistar

Screenshot 2022-01-22 004251.png

2NE1

Screenshot 2022-01-22 004641.png

SNSD

Screenshot 2022-01-22 005405.png

• From 2009 to 2015 they were the top GG and at times the outright top group in kpop

This pretty much. I’m not a stan but you have to give credit when credit is due. Besides sales, they were also the most invited idols in variety shows and a few also did kdramas.

They were the most consistent in terms of their long term success. While others had peaks and fizzled a year later, SNSD remained on top for a while.

Maybe it’s because they focused on Korean and Japanese fans mainly throughout their career. They weren’t caught up on trying to be the most popular kpop group in the island of Fiji or some far flung country.

Vachirawit “Bright” Chivaaree can get it every day all day all week every month all year for a lifetime.

4ca3c94a140c38326868f624c2d5d1b062af8138.gifv

• okay so a follow up question. is their dominance considered an anomaly? did any groups from 1st gen maintain their popularity for that length of time?

It is an anomaly

No groups from 2nd gen maintained a popularity that long (1st gen means those popular in late 1990s)

although a certain soloist has lasted longer

• External Content youtu.be

Until this moment SNSD dominated on everything, every single thing

• Didnt Kara has pretty good sales in Japan, I read their stats, they were the best selling gg before Twice in Japan

Yes, Kara was well received in Japan. According to data collected by @halfdavid, Twice has sales of 3,581,377 for Japanese releases, while Kara is at 3,154,836 and SNSD is at 2,548,393.

• Are you talking about overall Gaon physical sales? If so, that's not the case.

No, I wasn't talking about overall Gaon physical sales, as should've been fairly obvious.

I was talking about the times their sales per album surpassed that of the sales per album of most if not all of the boy groups in the years all their albums were released.

SWJ1P.gif

• This. 2009 - 2015/6.

People talk a lot about their Korean and Japanese success, but they were massive all over Asia, even if there aren't specific stats around that.

Their music was being playing in Chinese nightclubs, shopping malls in Singapore and Malaysia and more.

the problem with 1st gen groups is that they usually disbanded after 3-4 years... they never even had a chance to get tho soshi level...

KIMKAI48

059e37d0b9c38b277aec681de8161eeb7e65a633.gifv

• Similiar to twice to be honest, their digitalis were only #1 for like two years then 2ne1 and sistar came in top

Their album sales were great but so was Kara and 2ne 1 but they had the best album sales out of girl groups at that time like I said , parallel version of twice with solo activities so the groups recognition wasn’t falling

Actually, 2NE1's album sales were only good for a year or 2, in 2009-2010, after that it shrunk down massively. And all that time, from 2007 to 2015, SNSD had the #1 sales per album for girl groups 8 years straight.

KARA had great Japanese album sales, but their Korean album sales were average and less, and SNSD still had the highest selling Korean girl group album with a 1 million RIAJ certification.

As for popularity in South Korea, SNSD were the #1 most popular girl group for 6 years straight, where as 2NE1 only got listed once (as #4 most popular gg in SK) and KARA only twice (as #3 and #2) on Gallup.

This isn't even mentioning SNSD's youtube views or international recognition or CF's or music show wins where they were undefeated for many years, and they did that with only 5 group comebacks in the last 7 years of their career as a group.

A lot of other groups have that many comebacks in 1-2 years.

SWJ1P.gif

• This thread contains 4 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!