My opinions on the current level of these kpop vocalists (Miyeon/Taeyeon/Wheein/Taemin/Jin/Jongho/Swan/Lia/Taehyun)

• This is technique only!

IMPROVED

-- Miyeon: Better breath support! FINALLY! I think she has been taking some sort of endurance classes/dance because not only her stamina and stage presence improved, but now her breath support has gotten better. Yuqi was initially the member with the best technique in Gidle but Miyeon has perhaps surpassed her now. (If any of you watch Sam Bradley, remember he's not a trained vocal trainer or coach)

TIER: W-A

(Okay these next two are crazy good)

-- Taeyeon: I was not expecting her to improve much more but she's been constantly working and improving from her debut to now. The One and her seriously have such a great foundation in singing. Quite proud of her to be honest.

TIER: P

-- Bestie's Uji: One of the most underrated singers in kpop. She has a youtube and she's been uploading some amazing covers and I'm amazed by the quality.

TIER: P

-- Lightsum's Nayoung: She was pretty bad in Produce48 with her proper fundamentals so I thought Chowon would be a better singer but she's managed to surpass all my expectations. Her introduction videos showed she had nice fundamentals, and while she's had some weaker moments, her support is stronger than Chowon's and actually all of CLC. I'm making her my Lightsum bias, I love Chowon too but I want to see people recognizing her for her vocals!

TIER: LOW A

REGRESSED

Now I can't say for sure if they have regressed yet but I am not liking what I'm hearing

-- Wheein: This is shocking I know but she hasn't had as much of a proper grasp on D5s recently. I don't know what is happening, it is possible she's really tired or she's going stylistic so she can make a sound people like more for her songs, but it's not up to her usual par, and Solar has shown better sounds recently. I honestly think she's rebranding as she wasn't as popular in the group so she'll be focusing on the sound of her songs now she works with a solo career.

TIER: AA

-- Taemin: This I am more sure about. While he's managed to keep the vast amount of his improvement, Taemin is now going for a very stylistic approach especially with his newer songs. More squeezed and less proper than before. He was rivalling Jonghyun and Yesung at his peak but now he has seemed to settle down and find a style he likes. I'm kinda sad but he seems much more into the sound here.

-- Lovelyz's Jin: Yeah...Lovelyz has 3 main vocals however Kei is the strongest, and while I liked her Sixth Sense performance the most, she really is lacking in her terms of technique, and she reminds me of Gfriend vocalists, and I think she's never had training.

TIER: W-A?

-- Honorable mentions: a few of Gfriend (none really improved besides Umji (W) though), Seunghee (A-AA), Hyerin(A)

POTENTIAL:

-- Weekly's Soeun: I have high hopes for her. She's a pretty strong lead vocalist and she's seeming to be able to grasp some fundamentals of support. Now groups don't have many vocalists that can support so I am hoping for an improvement.

TIER: A? Possibly strong W-A

-- CRAXY's Swan: Very impressed through her skills in her songs. She's probably a stronger average, and I have some hope she will do well in the future. If you have not heard of them, I like the sound of their songs! She's had a nice sense of technique shown.

TIER: A

-- Purple Kiss's Swan: Now this is maybe hopeful thinking and especially as my bias in Purple Kiss, but she has a good sense of musicality but not much technique. She really reminds me of Bom, before she debuted in 2ne1 and early debut. (Cute!) She has a decent mix so I am hoping for her to improve on her very noticable technique gaps.

-- ITZY's Lia: The only vocalist that has shown any signs of support in her voice, I think she has the ability to improve on her stability, mix and pitch. Severely underrated by many casual people. I wonder if she will further develop her low voice and work with stamina.

WORRYING:

-- Stayc's Sieun. None of STAYC have ever learned technique. When they are with Black Eyed Pil- I doubt they will learn. I am worried for the straining they are making all their vocalists do. It is actually okay to have less technique however STAYC either do not know or are told to ignore the amount of damage they can do to their voice. I actually like that they have practiced, and they have a lot, as no way they would be able to pull it off without practicing. It's really admirable. I am worried she will develop vocal nodules in a few years as she has to hit the high notes. I have been watching STAYC for some time and are hoping someone will stop and tell them, especially since they are showing a lot of enthusiasm with music and would improve much more. STAYC always reminds me of 9muses.

TIER: W

-- Dreamcatcher's Siyeon: An example of someone with natural vocal talent but has never actually learned technique, especially with her company. She hasn't shown much technical ability (which is pretty okay in rock singing but the hybrid style is worrying for me) however can land stunningly high notes. I am worried again about the strain she uses to sing, especially in their songs like Boca. I am hoping she can rest her voice and hopefully it will not have an impact on her voice.

TIER: :,(

-- ATEEZ's Jongho: I finally acknowledge the males exist. He's not bad! But he's STRAINING so much because of the songs, I am really confused on why they are doing that and how they do not realize it will hurt him. He's actually good and the strongest in 4th gen (granted that's not much) but instead of helping him advance, ATEEZ's songs are making him struggle. I want them to at least ease it a bit for him, so he can relax and then possibly have a chance to develop.

TIER: W- A or low A

-- TXT's Taehyun: Who told him to growl? I really like him but that's like a really bad thing for his voice...I'm also not that happy with Beomgyu's development (actually not really any development sorry) and what they're telling him to sing. I really want them to fight their producer. Not as scary as the Fake Love problem but not great either.

TIER: W

( I have hopes for Keenho from PHarmony to improve but he's still at a W level for now)

• you seem to know a lot about singing. Are you a vocal coach?

• well i read everything hoping to see ningning....

Haha I have a very good level of their voices but I wanted to showcase vocalists that have been in the industry for a bit and are changing. Stayc I added because I'm just worried tbh, their producers are causing Twice much trouble especially in the past, and it's looking kinda scary for them because they're so naturally talented and it could be nurtured more.

• -- Taemin: This I am more sure about. While he's managed to keep the vast amount of his improvement, Taemin is now going for a very stylistic approach especially with his newer songs. More squeezed and less proper than before. He was rivalling Jonghyun and Yesung at his peak but now he has seemed to settle down and find a style he likes. I'm kinda sad but he seems much more into the sound here.

I wouldnt really call this regressing as in he still sings his older songs with his old style

He is expanding and experimenting

Also what about Key? he is another SHINee member whose vocals is polarizing

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• you seem to know a lot about singing. Are you a vocal coach?

I was training to be a vocal lesson coach but found my niche in computers! (and figure skating once upon a time).So yeah I was planning on teaching others, but I changed my entire field/interests.

I'm not an expert and remember people have different definitions of even basic singing concepts so you will never find 1 concrete source for anything honestly, especially in kpop.

• I wouldn’t say that StayC has no vocal lessons (as in not working for their vocal techniques) since they improving with each comeback. They were heavily straining in the first songs (especially yoon) and Sieun has started to strain less and less. I would give them more time since they are quite new. I can understand your concern though. The straining was very obvious while they promoted for So bad. I think we will be able to see their techniques in a few years once they have settled into their concept

• I was training to be a vocal lesson coach but found my niche in computers! (and figure skating once upon a time).So yeah I was planning on teaching others, but I changed my entire field/interests.

I'm not an expert and remember people have different definitions of even basic singing concepts so you will never find 1 concrete source for anything honestly, especially in kpop.

I always wanted to learn how to recognize things like these.

• It’s unfortunate when idols are not taught proper technique and then expected to sing high notes knets love :sadface: I dread the vocal damage this may cause them in years to come :cryingk:

Atleast kpop idols get lessons. I heard Jpop idols are expected to sing songs perfectly without a single lesson from the company.

• if you want a hit thread do your thoughts on blackpink and bts vocals

LAFBL0s.gif

let us gather around for the lord’s prayer:

Nævis we love you. You are the one who protected me when i was in trouble. MY victory, one SYNK DIVE. I know your sacrifices. Let’s meet surely after the resurrection.

Æmen

:pepe-pray:

• I wouldnt really call this regressing as in he still sings his older songs with his old style

He is expanding and experimenting

Also what about Key? he is another SHINee member whose vocals is polarizing

My problem is that many people consider Key a baritone...which I disagree with. Again, it's one of those things that is being argued by the singing community. He is a tenor in my book and has always been. He's not really a super strong vocalist but he's good for what he's been given, however I don't think he has a super consistent developed range, he's always reminded me of Suho. He can support but not strong. I think he's more underdeveloped, hence why people think he is a baritone. TIER: W-A [ He has stability and is on pitch]

Taemin had a Eb3/E3 ~ Bb4/B4 just a few years ago, so he has regressed but only a bit in the grand scheme of things. More than style, it's his tightness. I've seen him being squeezed on his highest notes, but it's not enough to move him down a tier and more than him regressing, I think he has less time to maintain that. The rest of his range is solidified and I do not see him changing bar something else happens. His b4s were always inconsistent. He is the strongest 4th gen male vocalist if we count SuperM with Baekhyun gone : )

He reminds me of Hwasa as a comparison of vocal levels.

• I wouldn’t say that StayC has no vocal lessons (as in not working for their vocal techniques) since they improving with each comeback. They were heavily straining in the first songs (especially yoon) and Sieun has started to strain less and less. I would give them more time since they are quite new. I can understand your concern though. The straining was very obvious while they promoted for So bad. I think we will be able to see their techniques in a few years once they have settled into their concept

I need to listen to them more...that Bang Bang cover had me scared. Yes Yoon and possibly Sumin have the best potential of all of Stayc, however Sieun has the chest power to hit those notes.

More than them, have you HEARD what their producers said on vocals and technique? They are...honestly not that great with understanding voices. Also when they said the main vocalist is the one who has their parents pay more had me pissed.

• I remember kpop stans claimed Miyeon was stronger than NingNing cringe lol

Anyways now that NingNing has supported some nice C5s I think it's safe to put her in AA

And to put Winter in A-AA she has Bb4s on lock they're giving NingNing a run for her money

Karina should go in W-A her A4s were very nice but I hope she has not regressed kinda worried she did

Giselle is W so far she doesn't seem to have grasp hwr support just yet sadly ughhh

• hmm idk if Swan should be a low A from what I heard she's very stylistic and she struggles up to A4? I think she is a high W-A slightly over Lia, also I heard Lia regressed and her A4s are tighter these days with shallow support.

I was confused about that too! She has a nice mix but everything else...she's probably a high W-A with Miyeon tbh.

I haven't heard Lia recently without those crazy backtracks so I will go listen but she has been more tighter, however idk if it's enough to call it "regressed" but the new album will probably help decide.

• I need to listen to them more...that Bang Bang cover had me scared. Yes Yoon and possibly Sumin have the best potential of all of Stayc, however Sieun has the chest power to hit those notes.

More than them, have you HEARD what their producers said on vocals and technique? They are...honestly not that great with understanding voices. Also when they said the main vocalist is the one who has their parents pay more had me pissed.

BEP is so damn dumb the way Stayc are moving their vocals are gonna be fried by their 3rd year.. Did you hear her (Sieun) Complex head voice scream? YEA BEP is coming to ruin them girls vocal chords.

• wgat about dreamcatcher yooyheun

I have high hopes for her technique. She's a good Average vocalist, a lot stronger than Siyeon but remember with the rock concept technique isn't always appreciated. I know Siyeon is the best choice for a main vocalist but I've never appreciated the straining those notes can give. She's the strongest in Dreamcatcher.

(Also Siyeon is my bias so I hope others understand I'm being honest)

• I was confused about that too! She has a nice mix but everything else...she's probably a high W-A with Miyeon tbh.

I haven't heard Lia recently without those crazy backtracks so I will go listen but she has been more tighter, however idk if it's enough to call it "regressed" but the new album will probably help decide.

Try listening to Lia's issues covers , notes she used to hit sounded like she was extra tight with them now, I heard from a Midzy friend she's turning stylistic now :peperain:

• My problem is that many people consider Key a baritone...which I disagree with. Again, it's one of those things that is being argued by the singing community. He is a tenor in my book and has always been. He's not really a super strong vocalist but he's good for what he's been given, however I don't think he has a super consistent developed range, he's always reminded me of Suho. He can support but not strong. I think he's more underdeveloped, hence why people think he is a baritone. TIER: W-A [ He has stability and is on pitch]

Taemin had a Eb3/E3 ~ Bb4/B4 just a few years ago, so he has regressed but only a bit in the grand scheme of things. More than style, it's his tightness. I've seen him being squeezed on his highest notes, but it's not enough to move him down a tier and more than him regressing, I think he has less time to maintain that. The rest of his range is solidified and I do not see him changing bar something else happens. His b4s were always inconsistent. He is the strongest 4th gen male vocalist if we count SuperM with Baekhyun gone : )

waiting for Taem 5th gen debut

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I will not do Aespa, even Weekly or any 2021 debuts as a full vocal analysis yet.

I do agree with your rankings but I want to put out some points:

1) Ningning has a lot of potential with her mix, and her agility is very nice, much stronger than Bada's with a similar sound which gives her a bigger edge. I think her lows are also quite strong but I need to hear without backtrack, and her mix is also easily good but she was not putting her full power in anything yet and if she puts more chest power she's an easy. She does have the best understanding of support/technique fundamentals.

One thing she can improve on is her pronunciation, nasality and breathiness. I haven't heard of her straining except for the SYNK which had some terrible production. A lot of these are things she is doing a lot better on than her counterparts, but these improvements will help her so much. I am very sure that she has the easiest path to power.

2) Winter has a very SM type training and is the strongest lead vocalist since Rookie Seohyun. A lot of people think she is weaker but I think because of her Bb4s she is a little stronger than Seulgi. She has a very stable set sound but I do think she's not a very rounded vocalist, ie while her mix is very good, Winter's B4s are quite closed at times compared to Ningning, but my biggest problem is that she's very nasal. Probably the most in the entire group.

She has a habit of going flat at the end. She's a set average and better than Lia though, however she has a very light approach and hence would have a lot of problems showing "power" which has people underestimating her at times. I also want her to develop a lower voice. I am most confident that Winter's ability is the easiest to assess for now though.

3) Karina has very likely not regressed. Her singing in Knowing Brother showed she has still the support fundamentals and on some forever live stages, good A4s. She reminds me a lot of Yuri, another W-A. Karina has a darker lower sound, but she struggles with confidence. I believe it is because Ningning and Winter have shown so much while she has less support, but she has sounded very unsure of herself with her singing on radio shows but she still showed proper support.

She has a very good lower register and if she sings more I think she would have the second best lower register out of Aespa. She is also a good harmonizer, second best to Giselle. Her G4s are good but not much with the B4s. Her best quality is that she has good support, it's not very shallow, however she has played it very safe on radio shows. I think she will move up to low average in several years if she works hard. I would put Lia ahead of her for now but she has good development, even though I kinda like her tone the least in Aespa.

4) Giselle is not as nasal as I thought! Being Japanese I did expect her to have a stronger nasal voice but in Forever, her nasality is decently managed. Giselle has support, especially around her forever notes but it's not very strong and shallow. She's had it up to G4 but not very strong. She is a good harmonizer. She is probably underdeveloped and breathy, like Joy.

She has only sang a few times though so there is more to be heard. She's probably one of the best Japanese vocalists in kpop but that's not really saying much....yeah she's probably a stronger weak.

• and Solar has shown better sounds recently.

I'm sorry but we're like 5 Moomoos on Akpop ... And you're not one of us.

Why people always need to speak about a group you didn't know at all ? Last time i saw so many fake information about Hwasa on an another thread.

Can you all stop this pls ? It's silly to talk like this about a group that you don't know.

• I'm sorry but we're like 5 Moomoos on Akpop ... And you're not one of us.

Why people always need to speak about a group you didn't know at all ? Last time i saw so many fake information about Hwasa on an another thread.

Can you all stop this pls ? It's silly to talk like this about a group that you don't know.

wow wow I may not talk about it but I bought/streamed all their debut/predebut releases (Don't Be Happy and Peppermint Chocolate), made appreciation threads, and both Solar/Wheein are my biases.

Also I left AKP for some time so I'm not sure what's going on.

I've always been a moomoo, I even went to a fansign...I've never done that for any other group. Also Piano Man (their best single fight me) was the thing that single handedly brought me back to kpop after all my favs waved off. I may not have the badge rn but I've always been a fan.

Also I'm not shading any of MAMAMOO, in fact it's a compliment, as they're like the most balanced group vocally in kpop.

Also both Taemin + Hwasa are Above Average so I'm unsure what the disagreement is. Wheein too had one of the best solo debuts ever.

What makes you think I don't know? I've followed every single big vocal group, ie: Big Mama, BEG, CSJH, MAMAMOO, SPICA, Melody Day and now for 4th gen, Aespa. It's my favorite factor. If you haven't noticed CSJH and Melody Day are nugus so I can't get badges so I've stuck with one.

Also in Drew_B's thread I ranked MAMAMOO as one of my top 10 groups ever in kpop.

I've always followed them and I was the one to post the thread on their recent medley of best songs album. On AKP there's a lot of Mys so I interact there but I've always been a MooMoo too.

• i checked out uji from bestie and she indeed sounds really good

hehe check out

A very good lower range, one of the best.

• Also I'm not shading any of MAMAMOO,

I've never said you shade MMM. I've no problem with you, you can have your own opinion about vocals or whatever like everyone, i respect it and i've no problem with this.

I'm just asking you to stop talking about bands you don't know. If people take what you write too seriously it will continue to create false information.

And stop your narrative pls. It's really easy to know which users are in your fandom when you are only a few on the forum. And like i said we're 5 Moomoos so it's really easy. You're not one of us, the same for Purple Kiss I haven't seen you on any thread with us.

I'm just asking that you stop judging bands you don't know. Like I said, it's not you or your opinion that I'm having a problem with. It's just tiring in the long run to see people on this forum giving their opinions on bands they don't know. I hope you will understand my request, Thanks for your understanding.

• No I understood that but wdym not know? I've followed all their songs predebut, including purple kiss (I posted a visual appreciation thread for swan recently)

Also with vocals...wouldn't it make sense to judge them all by the same lense?

I don't know ANY of these 4th gen vocalists well enough because they haven't showed much yet, ie Raina who people thought was weak became much better.

Even though I have a Ningning badge, I wouldn't put her in AA yet, because while I like her, she has to show a connected head voice and stronger belt for that. She's on the cusp for now.

Just like that, I wouldn't purposefully spread misinformation?

I see what you are saying, but for vocal enthusiasts it makes no sense tbh. The point is to enjoy the vocals, and talk about which ones we like. We will never know a person well enough, they will ALWAYS sing better in studio when we are not there but we can constructively talk about it!

Also in AKP, it's my second most mentioned group besides Aespa: Mamamoo will have an album of their best songs and 2 new songs in September!

my first thread added mamamoo too: Can I be added to these taglists?

I just don't interact with the Moomoos as like I said I honestly came to talk to Mys at a time there were less Mys in other places.

I also didn't post misinformation? If anything the 4th gen vocals would totally change based on their time and what they show but not the 3rd gen and up.

If anything...I don't know TWICE and Blackpink enough to talk about them (besides Jihyo) so I don't talk about technique...

• what do you think about Tiffany's and Jessica's vocals?

I have a lot of thoughts about them:

Jessica: My first love /s
    Her best moments were honestly in SNSD but she hasn't really regressed, she was just an inconsistent vocalist. She has the largest supported range in SNSD like BY FAR. Her lower register and agility are pretty good! She has a pretty okay chest voice (especially in low-mid range, like around E4-G4). She's at her highest supporting D5. She however has really bad nasality, causing her to be inconsistent but she's a good mixer, good placement, and she had resonance inconsistently. A lot of people thought after she left SNSD she regressed but I don't see it. She lowers her palette a lot. There was one Fly performance where she had great placement but I can't find it. I think she has more chest in her mix than like Taeyeon so it's more balanced however super head dominant.

Tiffany: A very interesting vocalist

She struggles with pitch tbh. She's had 2 resonant D5s fun fact, and she's improved more than when her last SNSD comeback happened, but she has problems with pitchyness and that's why when she sang with Wendy, she didn't sound great. That musical she did helped her with breath support though. There was a time she was struggling and straining on A5s in SNSD when they made her sing a ton out of her range, but she recovered and was back to normal.The thing I like about Tiffany is that she goes out of her way with musicianship. It's sometimes too much, like a ton of adlibs but she tries something new and tries to blend it in.

So the reason WHY you hear so much ??? is both have had ups and downs in their singing, Jessica more than Tiffany but Tiffany randomly regressed and returned back to normal BUT for now, both have maintained their technique outside of SM.

They did really well there:

Also Seohyun has developed a head voice and now is probably on par with Jessica

Anyways they need comebacks so I can talk more.

There's a lot more to talk about them I'm keeping it short haha.

• This thread contains 15 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!