When non-Koreans get roasted for acting like they know what's popular in Korea

• Even Korean youtube reflects this. The most streamed artists list last year barely had any idol music apart from bts ,blackpink with very few others.

I remember seeing the people analysing the chartmasters youtube lists being surprised that kpop artists weren't really as dominant in their home country as one might think.

• With the decline of kpop groups' popularity in the past 2 years this was made even more obvious. Kpop is becoming a niche with an exception of a few grps even in their own home country. And that is why in the future international popularity would be the target for kpop groups

• The fact that she/he tried to generalize koreans then admit they're not into kpop after being called out is hilarious :angryr:

I feel the whole "I'm not really into kpop" comment was just an edgy attempt to seem different from the other girls when the Korean poster said "all kpop fans are here because of good looking Asian men" .

• I wonder how socially kpop affected Koreans , I’ve seen Koreans complaining of people not taking them srsly on twt bc they think they have an idol pfp and they’re kpop fans lol...

Your average ggs enthusiast...

• The music charts prove it's way more than just idol music cuz the gp usually prefer other things. No shade at any groups btw.

Screen Shot 2021-04-16 at 8.21.44 PM.png

BTS charted I need U in their nugu days on kcharts. These 4th gen fans should stop bringing up their faves along with BTS startup. I’ll admit the paper award really shot them to unimaginable popularity but BTS were also killing it before for a group from a small company

• “Foreigners make BTS famous, ...“

That part is stupid honestly. I don’t need to be Korean to know that some bands are more popular than what this person tries to say. When you live some time in Korea, you get a reality check who is popular and who is not. Bands like Twice, BTS and Blackpink are popular and you hear them everywhere including ballads. I was at a student bar (we were the only foreigner and it was a secret drinking spot for students in the 90s) and when those bands came on, everyone knew the lyrics and the dance - including some edgy people.

Generally I agree most of kpop is for highschool students but there are some bands like bp, bts and twice that are very popular with the normal “folk“

• Seeing this I wonder how it will look for other countries who have boygroups and girlgroups. I know that Japan is heavly into bands like Official HIGE DANdism, King Gnu,... or vocalists like Aimyon, Kenshi Yonezu, LiSA, Kiro Akiyama,... but seeing groups like Snow Man doing extremly well and even less selling groups claim on social media how they were in the top 10 of the charts ... hm it's weird tho that Korea seems to be going more into soloists while Japan is more of a perfect mix between bands, groups and soloists and still seems to not change. Wonder how it will look like in Korea when maybe in a few years less people apply to become idols and many smaller labels have to close cause they can't sell anymore or cause they don't get enough people for their groups ...

A.C.E | ATEEZ | DRIPPIN| MCND | NU'EST | ONF | SF9 | Stray Kids | TFN

• Wonder how it will look like in Korea when maybe in a few years less people apply to become idols and many smaller labels have to close cause they can't sell anymore or cause they don't get enough people for their groups ...

but sales are way higher now than in the past. dreamcatcher, loona and wjsn are barely known in korea and theyre selling 100k. 2ne1 in their prime could barely sell 100k

• but sales are way higher now than in the past. dreamcatcher, loona and wjsn are barely known in korea and theyre selling 100k. 2ne1 in their prime could barely sell 100k

But look at it, MCND is the second most watched male rookie-group of 2020 on Youtube but people barly pay any atention to them and their debut album only sold around 15K ...

A.C.E | ATEEZ | DRIPPIN| MCND | NU'EST | ONF | SF9 | Stray Kids | TFN

• “Foreigners make BTS famous, ...“

That part is stupid honestly. I don’t need to be Korean to know that some bands are more popular than what this person tries to say. When you live some time in Korea, you get a reality check who is popular and who is not. Bands like Twice, BTS and Blackpink are popular and you hear them everywhere including ballads. I was at a student bar (we were the only foreigner and it was a secret drinking spot for students in the 90s) and when those bands came on, everyone knew the lyrics and the dance - including some edgy people.

Generally I agree most of kpop is for highschool students but there are some bands like bp, bts and twice that are very popular with the normal “folk“

the person in that post literally mentioned that they don't listen to must idol groups BESIDES bts, twice and bp loll. im confused what your point is with this when the point was already made...?

also...its literally true that bts became top group popular in korea bc of their achievements worldwide/in the u.s.

who's your favorite artist?

• the person in that post literally mentioned that they don't listen to must idol groups BESIDES bts, twice and bp loll. im confused what your point is with this when the point was already made...?

also...its literally true that bts became top group popular in korea bc of their achievements worldwide/in the u.s.

I am not talking about their first comment but BTS was even before their US achievements popular in Korea.

• not nearly as big as they became after their u.s success tho....thats the point.

But they were already big enough to be considered a top group. The comment of that person insinuates it differently. I also only commented on that part of the comment. I highly agree with the rest but that comment just rubbed me the wrong way

• But they were already big enough to be considered a top group. The comment of that person insinuates it differently. I also only commented on that part of the comment. I highly agree with the rest but that comment just rubbed me the wrong way

A top group but not a top top group. The person literally only mentioned BTS, BP and Twice as groups most Koreans care about. BTS was popular but not close to that level of popularity.

• Don't worry Day6 will save us all

:froghype::froghype::froghype:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• the person in that post literally mentioned that they don't listen to must idol groups BESIDES bts, twice and bp loll. im confused what your point is with this when the point was already made...?

Bts rivaled exo in 2016 and fire was almost a national hit in Korea so...

• Bts rivaled exo in 2016 and fire was almost a national hit in Korea so...

ok? not sure how that disproves anything i said. fire became popular way after its release actually. and they were mostly rivaling exo's album sales, which were contributed to majorly by ifans so...

• A top group but not a top top group. The person literally only mentioned BTS, BP and Twice as groups most Koreans care about. BTS was popular but not close to that level of popularity.

Yeah, but they were already popular enough to be known. Billboard and Co. made them the top group of Korea

Also: I don’t know why you even mentioned the other groups when I said that they are the only ones who are popular (see my initial post)

• ok? not sure how that disproves anything i said. fire became popular way after its release actually. and they were mostly rivaling exo's album sales, which were contributed to majorly by ifans so...

You are saying bts became a top group after their US achievements, which is plainly false. In 2016, they were a top group, and I need u charted on kcharts in 2015. You guys need to stop discrediting bts...

• You are saying bts became a top group after their US achievements, which is plainly false. In 2016, they were a top group, and I need u charted on kcharts in 2015. You guys need to stop discrediting bts...

tells a bts fan to stop discrediting bts.... ok. bts got bigger and bigger slowly staring with boy in luv in 2014. but their biggest break out just factually was in 2017 with dna era. my point was never that bts wasnt successful before their u.s break out. just that it isn't false to say that their success abroad is a huge reason why they became so well known and big in korea. i mean...i watched it happen.

• Yeah, but they were already popular enough to be known. Billboard and Co. made them the top group of Korea

Also: I don’t know why you even mentioned the other groups when I said that they are the only ones who are popular (see my initial post)

I’m confused what you’re arguing against in the first place. The YT comments say BTS became popular with the general Korean public and the biggest Kpop group in Korea because of their international popularity. You yourself admit that.

They were popular before that but not as popular as the other groups (including current BTS) the YT comment’s mentioned (which was their point).

• I’m confused what you’re arguing against in the first place. The YT comments say BTS became popular with the general Korean public and the biggest Kpop group in Korea because of their international popularity. You yourself admit that.

They were popular before that but not as popular as the other groups (including current BTS) the YT comment’s mentioned (which was their point).

No, I say that were already popular enough with the Korea public to be considered a top group and are now more popular due to their foreign success. Not that their foreign fans made them the top group. It was mostly their korean fans until 2018. BP wasn‘t that popular compared to the last years at the time since they were rookies (talking about 2016/17) and Twice was already popular with their debut single and cheer up.

• tells a bts fan to stop discrediting bts.... ok. bts got bigger and bigger slowly staring with boy in luv in 2014. but their biggest break out just factually was in 2017 with dna era. my point was never that bts wasnt successful before their u.s break out. just that it isn't false to say that their success abroad is a huge reason why they became so well known and big in korea. i mean...i watched it happen.

I am guessing you two are misunderstanding each other. First BTS was well known in Korea enough to win their first daesang in 2016 beating Exo and other groups for MMA. Remember that MMA is only about Korean digitals and Ifans can’t do anything about it.

You are saying bts became a top group after their US achievements, which is plainly false. In 2016, they were a top group, and I need u charted on kcharts in 2015. You guys need to stop discrediting bts...

I think the other user is talking about their current surge in popularity now. I’ll admit comparing the BTS in dna era to the BTS before that era is a big difference. They could then compete with the top groups based on how big their fandom grew. Remember that even for their first daesang, there were bigger groups with bigger fandoms but BTS still won because they may have had more non karmys streaming them. So their popularity with top groups in their early years was debatable.

• Idol group music as a whole haven't been popular since 2018.

It's been trot (which received a huge resurgence due to Amor Fati and Mr. Trot), indie, hip-hop, and the good ole ballads since 2019. Very few idol groups get hits now.

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• The only idol group I’ve heard on Korean radio is some old Twice song and some Seventeen ballad/OST so there is a little bit of truth in the roast...

Edit to add something:You really need to stop roasting South Korea’s “taste in music” every country has it’s own prefrences it’s lowkey...ignorant to say “oh they like shitty ballads NO TASTE”

• Yeah dear exactly, remember how many groups were releasing hits in 2012??? Then again, what 4th generation ggs released last year are NOT hits, but I got attacked for saying that in other places. Those people live under rocks. Koreans listen to soloists/ artists from Korea and even from west way more than they listen to Kpop nowadays. Kpop is following Jpop's path since a few years ago, it's only aimed at fandoms, not the gp.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• kpop music becoming more unconventional & experimental so i kinda understans why gp not really interested in kpop, average people prefer simple catchy songs that has popular chord progressions

and people dragging groups for not releasing hits hit songs depend on producers some groups are lucky and have good producers but some can't afford good producers tho

• Koreans have terrible taste though wbk. Idol music is 10000x more exciting than the same boring tired RnB, the same crusty ballad, the same terrible trot, etc.

Koreans choosing those tired musty genres over massive bangers like Star from Loona, So Bad by StayC, and Cry for Me by Twice....just no...

I understand very well how Koreans might prefer those over idol songs . Ever since BTS and BLACKPINK became popular, a lot of groups are following their path and Kpop has lost it's color. The music which many groups are releasing nowadays is aimed at western/ foreign fans. That's why we find them interesting.

Ik BP and BTS are also very popular in Korea but for a fact, they aren't exactly releasing what Korea has been cherishing for a long time, so they won't want other BP and BTS rip offs.

• This thread contains 5 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!