Is there a reason why Teddy is only producing for BP(and Somi) ever since they debuted?

• I honestly don't get it. Now, I said it many times before, I hate his music personally. Ideally I'd want him to retire and take all other talentless hacks like Galaktika, Lindgren spouses, The Hub with him. BUT, his music clearly appeals a lot to a bunch of try hard kids.

So I always found it weird that he didn't compose for Treasure, who are clearly struggling with their self made music. And I find it even more appaling that he isn't composing for the gg that's supposed to be the next big thing in Kpop. Instead they are debuting with a song made by the Future Bounce guy and some unknowns.

Now back to my question, where is Teddy? Is there some behind the scenes drama between Teddy and YG that he refuses to produce for new YG groups and only continues with BP because they have a history together and good relationship?

• Teddy already had The Black Label by the point of BP coming around but no artists to producer for. He picked the members, was the creative director and has been known to be involved in all aspects besides musical production for all his artists even going back to 2ne1 and Taeyang. He's both extremely personal and professional. Didn't work with winner or iKon either because that involvement was never there

Now he has his own trainees, a deal with Hybe (edit: correction mnet) but no reason to drop BP because that's just objectively a stupid idea on his part.

I wouldn't want my name associated with Treasure either fr

Complex is over-rated, Ill go up higher and shine brighter than anyone else

BLACKPINKJESSICANEWJEANSSEJEONGTHE ROSETWICEYERIN BAEKYUKIKATHE VOLUNTEERS

ee868cb541261094eb3c49077579820d9d2684ef.gifv259551f29b1b419b0910ccd1ffe7a59b3ca03dbb.gifv9179a574e42e68a00c37635d5151fe4ebba30003.gifv9fbbfdae9fd592cc7858e29f534e290375563da9.gifv

Edited once, last by DaisyTheGenuine ().

• you do know he do produces other genre too right ?? pretty sure the reason he does that to bp is coz its works really well.
    plus might be contract obligation for him to be the main producer.

he has his own label now which include somi that's why he's her main producer.
    for BG he rarely do any BG song except a couple song for winner and ikon after bigbang.
    coz alot of them kinda self produced.

now to the question. he's preparing his own GG under the blacklabel now. and he's gonna be the producer for i-land 2 too.
    so he got his own things going on

• Just BP and Somi? He did songs for Sunmi. He already is slow to release just with BP and Somi and you expect him to produce for everybody in YG plus The Black Label and now he has I-LAND 2 also coming.

Didn't work with winner or iKon either because that involvement was never there

Now he has his own trainees, a deal with Hybe but no reason to drop BP because that's just objectively a stupid idea on his part.

How about you start checking before posting?, he did 2 B-sides for iKON plus the Mino and Bobby subunit MOBB songs.

And again with this deal with HYBE. He has a deal with MNET/CJ ENM, what deal he has with HYBE? The only connection with HYBE he has as far as I know is that they both use YG PLUS for album distribution, Somi is not even on Weverse despite the deal they have with YG.

• Now once you said it, it is almost year from this. I wonder if they debut in 2024?

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• plus might be contract obligation for him to be the main producer.

This is what I've been thinking too. We'll never know for sure, but good theory.

now to the question. he's preparing his own GG under the blacklabel now.

Honestly, this is gonna be another StayC situation. Good producer really should work with big companies to deliver world class acts instead of debuting mid range ggs of their own. For Kpop's sake that is. Otherwise BEP is probably making more money even with StayC than he ever did with Twice.

• Just BP and Somi? He did songs for Sunmi. He already is slow to release just with BP and Somi and you expect him to produce for everybody in YG plus The Black Label and now he has I-LAND 2 also coming.

How about you start checking before posting?, he did 2 B-sides for iKON plus the Mino and Bobby subunit MOBB songs.

And again with this deal with HYBE. He has a deal with MNET/CJ ENM, what deal he has with HYBE? The only connection with HYBE he has as far as I know is that they both use YG PLUS for album distribution, Somi is not even on Weverse despite the deal they have with YG.

Omggggg I almost forgotten about MOBB. One of my fave subunits ever.

• This is what I've been thinking too. We'll never know for sure, but good theory.

Honestly, this is gonna be another StayC situation. Good producer really should work with big companies to deliver world class acts instead of debuting mid range ggs of their own. For Kpop's sake that is. Otherwise BEP is probably making more money even with StayC than he ever did with Twice.

i mean somi is doing great, so finger crossed.

Somi and Sunmi aren't YG acts, gosh, do I really need to specify everything for people with fewer braincells, isn't it fucking obvious that I am talking about YG groups enough?

• Fuck, why do always some weirdos need to show up and completely derail the thread cuz they wanna brag about their deeper knowledge(aka Teddy Park production discography)

Yes, we can see those credits for Ikon and Winner's Bsides that he "co wrote with" members just like you. But unlike you we can also understand that it ain't fucking the same thing as giving his signature sound title tracks to any of those groups

• Somi and Sunmi aren't YG acts, gosh, do I really need to specify everything for people with fewer braincells, isn't it fucking obvious that I am talking about YG groups enough?

And when did I say they were YG acts? The fact Sunmi was never in YG nor The Black Label actually makes Teddy producing for her more noteworthy

Edited once, last by vicll ().

• Teddy is also working on TBLGG, I-Land2 and releases from other TBL artists, like Vince. The guy has his own company to worry about... and he's always been slow with his output.

Also, who knows what he is dealing with behind the scenes with regard to blackpink and their contracts.

The Five Horsemen Of The Apocalypse
    BP2.jpg Very-Very-Very-Smaller.gif BP1.jpg

• Where is Teddy you ask?

everyone forgot about this one?

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

External Content www.youtube.com

• How about you start checking before posting?, he did 2 B-sides for iKON plus the Mino and Bobby subunit MOBB songs.

Oh wow

2 bsides

Big whoop

He's supposed to be the "master producer" for one of their girl group survival shows next year. I believe iland2

ee868cb541261094eb3c49077579820d9d2684ef.gifv259551f29b1b419b0910ccd1ffe7a59b3ca03dbb.gifv9179a574e42e68a00c37635d5151fe4ebba30003.gifv9fbbfdae9fd592cc7858e29f534e290375563da9.gifv

• Sometimes I get the feeling if people mix up producing and songwritting.....

or it's hard to understand if they talk about Teddy as a producer or as a songwritter.

Maybe he is a bit limited in the style of music he does and can't do much more songs than he does.

• He only want to produce for people whom he knows will make his songs a hit.

He can't be bothered to make songs for flops that ain't gonna earn him shit

This is bullshit, BP debuted with Teddy songs.

Teddy Park is a mediocre producer and creatively bankrupt very long ago

I thought this was a very well stabilished fact by now

Appreciate your insight, it'd be priceless if only you read before rushing to comment

:spammerpepe:

• Teddy already had The Black Label by the point of BP coming around but no artists to producer for. He picked the members, was the creative director and has been known to be involved in all aspects besides musical production for all his artists even going back to 2ne1 and Taeyang. He's both extremely personal and professional. Didn't work with winner or iKon either because that involvement was never there

Now he has his own trainees, a deal with Hybe but no reason to drop BP because that's just objectively a stupid idea on his part.

I wouldn't want my name associated with Treasure either fr

What deal with HYBE?

• I guess it's an YG thing: boy groups are pushed to have their own songwriters/producers who'll be made responsible for their group's songs, in hopes that YG can catch lightning twice and have a Big Bang/GD successor so YG and his people can boast about their groups talents as 'real artists' and don't have to pay royalties to non-YG songwriters

Also, Teddy is K-pop's George R.R. Martin and he isn't K-pop fans' bitch: if he deems it sufficient enough to only write a few songs a decade whenever he feels the creative juices bubbling up again from an almost dried-up well, then people should let him.

Of course it makes sense that YG will cherish these few songs for the scarce national treasures they are, and give them to their groups that need it the most. Which are YG's girl groups where there's apparently zero songwriting/producent talent and who didn't enjoy any coaching in those whatsoever.

... but from what I understand, Baby Monster won't have to depend (solely) on Teddy anymore :siptear:

'No more shall man have wings to bear him to paradise. Henceforth, he shall walk.'

SWJ1P.gif

• Which are YG's girl groups where there's apparently zero songwriting/producent talent and who didn't enjoy any coaching in those whatsoever.

Blackpink has more credits than Red Velvet despite having ⅒ the discography :pepeshut:

Outside of Lisa, Blackpink knows how to write songs and produce, it was part of their training process.

They're just comfortable with TBL producers and their opinions are listened to. Unlike most girl groups, especially of 2nd and 3rd gen, Blackpink has never been a group to say this disliked their songs or disliked an era.

• Wut? The Album is literally the only album in Kpop history with zero flops and zero blops, EVERY SONG IS A BOP.

It's always good to read your opinions uncle. Great measurement to understand if I'm wrong or not for disliking a song!

He's literally this guy

• Blackpink has more credits than Red Velvet despite having ⅒ the discography :pepeshut:

Outside of Lisa, Blackpink knows how to write songs and produce, it was part of their training process.

They're just comfortable with TBL producers and their opinions are listened to. Unlike most girl groups, especially of 2nd and 3rd gen, Blackpink has never been a group to say this disliked their songs or disliked an era.

:pepewhat: Credits isn't saying much when you don't know how much someone really contributed to a song/album in a long list of contributors, how much of it is real contribution and how much was PR/brand building. You'll only really know when someone had to stand alone without the training wheels of the support of gifted, talented colleagues.

A good example is CL, who was lauded for her credits and songwriting/producing/lyrics contributions to 2NE1, but as soon as she had to stand alone showed that she wasn't a GD and that 2NE1's songwriting/producing success had always been Teddy - and maybe others, but not CL :wellr:

Although a nice offtrack course, this wasn't even the point: in case the ironic, sarcastic tone wasn't picked up, the point was that YG apparently had so little faith in the songwriting/producing potential of their girl group members, that instead of coaching them and then letting them loose like YG did with GD and their follow up boy group members, for their girl groups they used Teddy as major songwriter/producer.

Whether YG's lack of faith was justified or YG's native sexism and misogyny is another discussion, but the result is that YG boy groups were treated differently from YG girl groups by YG and people.

'No more shall man have wings to bear him to paradise. Henceforth, he shall walk.'

SWJ1P.gif

• :pepewhat: Credits isn't saying much when you don't know how much someone really contributed to a song/album in a long list of contributors, how much of it is real contribution and how much was PR/brand building. You'll only really know when someone had to stand alone without the training wheels of the support of gifted, talented colleagues.

A good example is CL, who was lauded for her credits and songwriting/producing/lyrics contributions to 2NE1, but as soon as she had to stand alone showed that she wasn't a GD and that 2NE1's songwriting/producing success had always been Teddy - and maybe others, but not CL :wellr:

First of all that's not why CL's music post YG failed.

YG and Scooter held her back for years until her hype died abroad and in Korea. Her career was pretty blatantly (and famously) killed off

Don't get me wrong, her music sucks.

But it sucks in the same way, quality and style it's always sucked. With or without Teddy

Although a nice offtrack course, this wasn't even the point: in case the ironic, sarcastic tone wasn't picked up, the point was that YG apparently had so little faith in the songwriting/producing potential of their girl group members, that instead of coaching them and then letting them loose like YG did with GD and their follow up boy group members, for their girl groups they used Teddy as major songwriter/producer.

Whether YG's lack of faith was justified or YG's native sexism and misogyny is another discussion, but the result is that YG boy groups were treated differently from YG girl groups by YG and people.

With the exception of Cube and Pledis, that's basically kpop as a whole.

Producers are usually also artists/directors signed to whatever company. They want their own projects and that's always going to be female artists or girl groups as that's a guaranteed return.

You don't really see the more famous producers tying themselves to boy groups or debuting any of their own. Teddy, Shinsadong Tiger, Brave Brothers, Kush, BEP etc all mainly girl groups

• I honestly don't get it. Now, I said it many times before, I hate his music personally. Ideally I'd want him to retire and take all other talentless hacks like Galaktika, Lindgren spouses, The Hub with him. BUT, his music clearly appeals a lot to a bunch of try hard kids.

So I always found it weird that he didn't compose for Treasure, who are clearly struggling with their self made music. And I find it even more appaling that he isn't composing for the gg that's supposed to be the next big thing in Kpop. Instead they are debuting with a song made by the Future Bounce guy and some unknowns.

Now back to my question, where is Teddy? Is there some behind the scenes drama between Teddy and YG that he refuses to produce for new YG groups and only continues with BP because they have a history together and good relationship?

I believe YG personally delegated all BP responsibilities exclusively to teddy pre-debut (we talking 2013-14 cause he personally picked the members that suit his music best)

I assume Yang hyun suk thought it'll be another BB/2ne1 situation where winner/ikon will be bigger so he chose to focus on them

To BP teddy is more of their CEO than YG (jisoo own words)

This is why it's not surprising to see the pinks sign with TBL cause they're already a defacto TBL GG

• He is safeguarding his signature sound for BP and his own artist(s) only. There is a reason why BP thrive with the sound because the sound is not overly used by other kpop acts.

Imagine if he goes Brave brothers or BEP route. There will be a point of time where people get sick of your songs. Brave bro songs went flopping all the way after AOA's Heart Attack and only had a spike with Brave Girls viral Rolling. Same with BEP, popular acts can no longer score a guaranteed hit with BEP (unlike before this). Shinsadong tiger for that matter too.

• He's literally this guy

why the f do i see dunkey in here ?? is this a sign ?? are knack 3 around the corner ??

• CL's music wasn't failing just because of Scooter: the solo she chose while under YG wasn't that successful, and she wasn't the songwriter/lyricist/rapper genius (not even including her 'Dr. Pepper' gig) that people esp. her fans were convinced she was.

She was a great performer, but without the support structure of a genius songwriter/producer like Teddy and effective brand building/hype promotion machine like YG, it was clear her own talents and input wasn't enough to make her stand alone successfully.

Your point regarding that a lot of producers only seem to work with girl groups, not boy groups is an interesting one: is it Korean culture based male chauvinism, do they feel more 'inspired' when working with girls/women, do they think their songs fit girl groups more or that they'll have more success with girl groups? Is an interesting investigation topic.

But even aside from that, YG goes a step further than other companies in how they push boy group members to become their own songwriter/producers (imo bc it's cheaper, the 'real artist' brand building around it was just YG's way of selling it) in order to breed a stable of Teddy/GD-alikes - but did far less so try to find and push for a female GD/Teddy level songwriter/producer within their girl groups.

Or maybe YG tried, failed and gave up.

SWJ1P.gif

• CL's music wasn't failing just because of Scooter: the solo she chose while under YG wasn't that successful, and she wasn't the songwriter/lyricist/rapper genius (not even including her 'Dr. Pepper' gig) that people esp. her fans were convinced she was.

She was a great performer, but without the support structure of a genius songwriter/producer like Teddy and effective brand building/hype promotion machine like YG, it was clear her own talents and input wasn't enough to make her stand alone successfully.

The Baddest Female was a hit, it just wasn't a megahit.

Hello Bitches did pretty well I think, considering it was released 2 weeks later after being free on SoundCloud and she didn't get to promote it

Lifted was the first time a Korean female soloist charted on Billboard

CL was definitely successful with a pretty promising career ahead of her.

It's just very disingenuous to say it's her songwriting that caused her to fail when there were other factors with far greater impact working against her in both Korea and the US for 4 years straight. No new artist can survive being shelved like that, even if their debut song was a national hit.

Your point regarding that a lot of producers only seem to work with girl groups, not boy groups is an interesting one: is it Korean culture based male chauvinism, do they feel more 'inspired' when working with girls/women, do they think their songs fit girl groups more or that they'll have more success with girl groups? Is an interesting investigation topic.

Money probably. Girl groups chart higher, their songs have better longevity and gp interest has better longevity. Even in 2nd gen when boy groups charted and had hits, it was always girl group songs highest on end of year charts. If you live of royalties and luck, why double curse yourself by produce BG songs?

Twice is probably the most accredited girl group of 3rd Gen but JYP has never let them touch a title track.

Also can be shown in how girl groups release more singles and EPS compared to boy groups that release more studio albums

But even aside from that, YG goes a step further than other companies in how they push boy group members to become their own songwriter/producers (imo bc it's cheaper, the 'real artist' brand building around it was just YG's way of selling it) in order to breed a stable of Teddy/GD-alikes - but did far less so try to find and push for a female GD/Teddy level songwriter/producer within their girl groups.

Or maybe YG tried, failed and gave up.

I don't think it has anything to do with trying to make the next GD/Teddy, it's just YG's roots as a hip-hop label turned idol agency pared with the music industry's general misogynistic lean giving more opportunities to male songwriters and composers than female. However, while that push on female artists may not be there, there's not much for me to say creative suppression exists in its place like with other companies. Not right now at least.

YG is trashy and misogynistic in many, many ways but they aren't bad in that regard. And arguably in that regard alone

• I don't think iland gg has anything to do with hybe. Hybe and mnet split ways and hybe did the I'LLiT or whatever that is show.

They're doing 500 survival shows I can't keep up ;judgingpepe:

• This thread contains 4 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!