which one is more possible to happen : the next BTS or the next IU

• I know "people aren't the next etc" "they won't be replicated" etc, buuuuut I'll answer it correctly and say IU bc i don't see a group being as dominant as BTS, but i do see a soloist reaching IU level in SK.

Obviously even a next IU seems impossible tbh, but between her and BTS, yes, her..

• one is the biggest boygroup in the world with multiple huge records

one is the biggest celebrity in south korea with huge longetivity and zero flop

which one is more likely to happen in the future: the next BTS or the next IU

IU's had a few flops, mainly everything before Nagging and some of her collabs with other artists.

But to answer your question: neither lol

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• The truth is no one is gonna surpass them.

reach what IU achieve isn't as easy as people think it is.

IU not only have strong digital, but her physical is also very high for a soloist which is pretty hard to achieve as a soloist. I am talking about soloist who came from soloist not coming from a popular/top tier group.

IU debut as a soloist when group is dominating. It is not a easy task for going toe to toe with group. Right now, No one even coming close to her right now like I said above, I'm talking about soloist who debut as a soloist.

She reached 500k physical sales, entire album charting top 10 with high uls, gp support and not simply fandom streaming. Successful in acting field and being at the top for more than 10 years and still continually growing right now.

• and yet some said that IU is "easier" :|

• What’s with this obsession that an act or artist will be the next X and Y when all acts and artists should be recognized for their own talents and work?

If it is really about the level of fame and recognition - fine but it’s obvious - non? No act can remain at the top forever, it is more about career sustainability, acknowledge as legendary, and upholding the legacy etc. Not many can do this gracefully now a days…

No act or artist will be the next BTS or IU. They will be their own legends or superstars.

• I accidentally voted for the first option because I only saw the name, but next IU is more difficult.

After Beatles, there was 1Direction which did gain worldwide fame, and it is Harry Styles, who is from 1D, who has re-taken the world over after K-O-R-E-A-N incels brought BTS down.

However, there is unlikely to be another IU.

First, most girls with vocal ambitions prefer to join girl groups.

Second, if they can't join GGs, they turn into trot, as seen in many child prodigies turning into trot for quicker bucks. They don't have to dance, and although it is no royal road for success, it is better to be unencumbered by a company and gain a long term following since successful trot singers never really fade away if they have a hit (in trot , if a song is in the top 150 of the trot chart, it is considered to be a hit) every 5 years or so.

Third, Lee JIeun fought against almost all major KPop acts you can name, without any support from her company. Until 2022 she was basically only singer of note in the entire Kakao Entertainment.

13 years of continued warfare against the array of major KPop groups is something unheard in the history of war.

No one is going to fight for 13 years against the giants of KPop.

I won't even get started on the infinite hate of IU against KPop. That is another story.

• I think both are about equally impossible.

I dont really see any group replicating what bts have done worldwide, nor any artist, solo or group, coming close to IU in korea. IU have thirty number one hits in korea, thats more than bigbang, twice and bts have combined, combine their active years and thats 30+ years and IU is still ahead.

The media landscape today is so different compared to how it was when either started. Its harder than ever before for any single act to became so dominant.

• Hmm I think neither but I’ll vote IU. Just because if you want to surpass or reach BTS level, you literally have to compete on the world stage.

And people comparing BTS success to 1D in 2022?? Like y’all don’t really know how big BTS is and it shows.

Or to the fcking Beatles, what are they smoking :facepalm:

I literally never listened to a single 1D song. Never. Nor did I know any fans.

• I hope no one still thinks you are an IU anti...cause I mean

• There have been many popular soloists in Korea before IU.... Cho Yongpil, Yoo Jaeha, Shin Seunghun, Kim Gunmo all dominated during their time so it isn't anything new for a Korean soloist to be popular in Korea..... Granted that she is the first female but that's it..... I can see another soloist dominate Korea more if not as much because it is not uncommon.....

BTS are unarguably the greatest Korean artist of all time. There is a reason why they are the only Korean artist ever who dominate every single metric in every single country and opened new countries to not just kpop but Korean entertainment as a whole. It took BTS to do something that has never been done by any ASIAN artist, not just Korean, to get that status. And there is barely anything left for others to do that BTS haven't done.

• At least in Korea I'm gonna say IU. I really doubt any other act would survive the sheer amount of controversy & backlash she faced during Chatshire (?) but she literally managed to top it with her next single which managed to be one of the biggest singles of all time. Any other artist would've been done & over by then. Add on a successful acting career (which is pretty difficult seeing idol actors aren't typically taken seriously by the public) & her remaining on top for more than a decade you could make an argument that she's the biggest soloist (or at least female soloist) of all time there.

BTS worldwide though for obvious reasons.

Honestly though I don't see either artist being topped or matched in the future, especially now when media is so fragmented. Most artists that blow up now are mostly popular among younger generations and don't have that cross-generational appeal & recognition both have.

• At least in Korea I'm gonna say IU. I really doubt any other act would survive the sheer amount of controversy & backlash she faced during Chatshire (?) but she literally managed to top it with her next single which managed to be one of the biggest singles of all time. Any other artist would've been done & over by then. Add on a successful acting career (which is pretty difficult seeing idol actors aren't typically taken seriously by the public) & her remaining on top for more than a decade you could make an argument that she's the biggest soloist (or at least female soloist) of all time there.

BTS worldwide though for obvious reasons.

Honestly though I don't see either artist being topped or matched in the future, especially now when media is so fragmented. Most artists that blow up now are mostly popular among younger generations and don't have that cross-generational appeal & recognition both have.

I aint seen you around in almost a year damn

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• I voted BTS because the GP barely knows any boy groups, so a boy group already has one foot in the door if they can manage to be widely recognized by the GP

What a stupid statement. So you think all these new "kpop fans" you saw popping up after 2017 were not "GP" before. Just because BTS managed to convert them into fans? It seems you can't suppress it anymore. Nothing unexpected from Ex-ARMY. You lot tend to get stupid over time.....

I hope no one still thinks you are an IU anti...cause I mean

He literally promotes IU more than anyone else by linking her to every popular act..... Only fools will think he is "anti" because he is making people talk about IU more than they usually would by associating her with others.....

• i think bts, as asian artists, with 90% korean music, just one english speaker, a relatively small local label making it big on a global scale, especially in the west, is something i would have never imagined...i was so surprised when i started looking up their stats and realized how big they are

• What a stupid statement. So you think all these new "kpop fans" you saw popping up after 2017 were not "GP" before. Just because BTS managed to convert them into fans? It seems you can't suppress it anymore. Nothing unexpected from Ex-ARMY. You lot tend to get stupid over time.....

Point to me where I said any of that :pepewhat:

• This thread contains 6 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!