Did getting into kpop make you decide to check out jpop and/or cpop?

• No.

Getting into drama made me check out all sorts but music not so much. Like I watch Japanese Korean Chinese Thai Taiwanese along with anime and I easily adjusted to all of them.

But music? Not so much.

I think Korean music is closest when it comes to staying similar to western music. Japanese music scene for example is very dated. No one gave them the memo that rock/pop rock is dead eye- ofc I do like some anime opening but that’s about it. So even when I knew Japanese music before I knew kpop I was ever interested in checking it out. As for Chinese music I do listen to some of it. Like I did for lay and EXO M version but I never felt like listening more of it.

• I listened to J-Rock and some J-Pop before I even knew what K-Pop was.

• Jpop isn’t really my taste. Cpop isn’t really for me either. However, it did make me dive into CR&B based on some recs when I was listening to WayV. However, it’s more challenging to navigate, esp across Spotify, if you don’t know what you’re looking for and hard to search for artists and songs because I don’t read Mandarin and song titles and sometimes artist names are often in Mandarin.

..............................................................................................................perfume

1a8e5b24bf1c6ccaa1e5bd8ca4a707841e1abe65.gif31addbb43f8bc3a9c9e7fff75dd7f232c5839f1f.gifd752226429a326c0a6d90dfff22926c1961158d1.gif

• J-pop until recently was very insular, and finding clips online in good quality was NOT easy. Kinda turned me off from getting into it. I did watch the first season of PD101 Japan and I do like JO1, the group that came out of the season. Otherwise, I'm still firmly rooted in Kpop.

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• No, getting into K-pop made me realize how much more integrity, musically, Chinese and Japanese pop-makers have than their Korean counterparts.

• I knew Japanese music before KPop

And heck, I got into Japanese music trought Visual Kei-bands

In case someone here has no idea what that is:

In the past since the 80s this where crazy dressed bands, mostly male bands with sometimes member dressed up as a woman. They played mostly anything from Pop-Rock to Metal and so on, depending on what directions in their fashion the band chose. So if a band dressed more colorfull than their music was often more happier etc. Nowadays there is only a small hand full of such bands left and the trend goes more towards boygroups who dress up like that instead of having bands who dress up in that fashion. It also kinda used to be a street fashion statement in the early 2000s but you barly see it in Japan anymore.

This was the literally first Japanese song I ever listend to in 2010:

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

After a few weeks and knowing a few Japanese artists I somehow found 2NE1 and well ... now I'm here

But the kind of music I listen to nowadays has changed a lot since most artists I liked back than either disbanded, got boring or I just forgot to follow them to keep an eye on their newer releases, but I listen to a lot other acts now and even menage to keep up with a lot of the acts I like now to not miss any of their next releases.

MissBehave

I also know a few artists who release music in Chinese but mostly from Taiwan but I didn't keep up with them cause they either release too little, I forget to check them or they disbanded allready. The only Chinese act I try to keep up with is INTO1 altho I don't follow them on social media. It's only for Mika, Rikimaru and Santa because I knew them trought their original groups (and I'm sad that Mika's original one had disbanded this year, but well William and Kazuma terminated their contracts with their agency so well...)

Some of my most favourite J-Songs:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

And my most favourite C-Songs:

China could reach so much more with their music if the country would not be that fucked up with everything they do

A.C.E | ATEEZ | DRIPPIN| MCND | NU'EST | ONF | SF9 | Stray Kids | TFN

• i did try to get into jpop when I saw people hyping it up but all I came across was gatekeeped content which was very hard to access and when it was accessible it looked like it was made pre-2010. the closest thing to jpop i listen to would be japanese releases from kpop artists lol

LAFBL0s.gif

let us gather around for the lord’s prayer:

Nævis we love you. You are the one who protected me when i was in trouble. MY victory, one SYNK DIVE. I know your sacrifices. Let’s meet surely after the resurrection.

Æmen

:pepe-pray:

• It's the other way around, I still listen to Jmusic until now. They're more diverse ig in terms of genre. From old style idols, to kpop like idols, rock band, soloist, visual kei, indie band, metal band, etc. Even the stage performance is interesting, roller skate idols, acrobatics idols, gothic idols, metal idols, or just normal band.

People might find them weird if you're not familiar with JP cultures :wellr:

But my j-idol fave is quite normal and great singer

• In an indirect way. I met someone on this forum who recommended me a Chinese drama, which led me to explore the Chinese entertainment industry more. I am not huge fan of cpop but casually follow it. I am more into Chinese dramas and novels. That's my full time fandom :oops:

许凯 | 陈飞宇

feiyu-chen-feiyu.gif

• No, I grew up with cpop and jpop so it's not as "new" for me.

Not that I don't like it, but kpop is so much work just keeping up with it, I'm not sure I have to energy and time to start exploring jpop and cpop again, especially now that they are pumping out kpop groups like bunnies and the number of new songs weekly.

• This thread contains 2 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!