I never understood the obssesion of i-fans for K-charts

• Paks, raks, allkill, search on melom, etc, etc. I could understand the koreans since is about them, i mean, is still an obssesive behaviour, but they atleast can perceive this in a real way. But for a foreign? Why Mario from Mexico get so hype for how many hours a song spend in number one on melon if he goes outside and nobody cares besides his friends? Somebody can enlighten me? Is for my study: Kpoopies minds and other anomalies :pepe-notes:

• NmiXXSupremacist

Changed the title of the thread from “I will never understand the obssesion of i-fans for K-charts” to “I never understood the obssesion of i-fans for K-charts”.
  • Validation of their taste.

It's very odd as an American because for the most part... no one really cares who is topping any charts. Unless something becomes a huge hit like Old Town Road or is something rare like We Don't Talk About Bruno, it usually doesn't even register for most people outside the industry.

• Because if a group does well on i-charts, that means they may get the GPs attention, which means more success and opportunities for the members.

All idols want success, and fans want their faves to be successful. Successful idols means more comebacks and more content.

PGDPGT PRETTY GIRLS DOING PRETTY GIRL THINGS

fc48bd06c65bdda5a70662a95298c58967e2efac.gifv2388a663244f2a30b386bac2c9600bc97508161c.gifv

• Because if a group does well on i-charts, that means they may get the GPs attention, which means more success and opportunities for the members.

All idols want success, and fans want their faves to be successful. Successful idols means more comebacks and more content.

To Add to that, koreans use top 100 as their daily playlist basically, which makes the chart there much more relevant for the users, than say billboard and the likes that exist in the west.

For a few of us we find the korean charts interesting because the available chart data they provide is miles and miles ahead of any other charts in the world, even today after all the "nerfs" to it.

Its also because they provide and endless amount of differents metrics fandoms can use to compete in achivements against eachother.

Stuff like allkill, pak etc is just fluff tho and totally irrelevant for the general population.

• American Kpop fans talking about Top 40 songs: "Oh my god, terrible fucking generic pop trash."

American Kpop fans talking about obscure South Korean music charts: "OMG, TOP 5 FOR 3 HOURS ON BUGS -- LITERAL KINGS!"

• Yeah, i've heard that most Koreans wont bother making playlists, they just hit Top 100 or Current Hits or whatever is available on the app and be done with it. Which is funny af, since we spend so much time arguing about intricacies of charting, meanwhile actual Koreans arent even thinking about specific songs when they hit "play" while doing laundry or vacuuming.

• That's how things goes in k-Pop, companies care about the charts, idols care about the charts and that's what keeps the group relevant and afloat that's what brings brand deals, cfs and tv show appearances just take a look at how Brave girls song topping the charts literally changed their lives, so no I-fans don't exaggerate by caring about the charts .

• Yeah, i've heard that most Koreans wont bother making playlists, they just hit Top 100 or Current Hits or whatever is available on the app and be done with it. Which is funny af, since we spend so much time arguing about intricacies of charting, meanwhile actual Koreans arent even thinking about specific songs when they hit "play" while doing laundry or vacuuming.

I sometimes do similar, i just find some random kpop playlist and play it

I used to listen to playlists by year too but i got lazy at a point

I’mma give you something Bet you put the money in the bag

XWQN6MB.png

• logic? I don't know. I think it just makes sense. If you stan a group you are going to want the best for them and that includes them doing well in their domestic market (which is usually their main market of interest). I mean, keep in mind international fans are also obsessing over a foreign group. By that same logic it's like asking why international fans are obsessed with stanning foreign groups to begin with. And this is coming from someone who isn't obsessed with charting (or even knows how any of the big charts work, international or otherwise).

• Idk, there is nothing surprising tbh. Kpop is about competition, that's how fans are trained: all music shows are about competition and criterias are kinda connected to charts to some extend, also chart results matter for year-end award shows which are also about competition. And all fans want their fave to win same as, for example, sport fans wants their fave team/sportsman to win the only difference is that kpop companies built kpop system the way when fans can do a lot to help for their fave to win while sport fans can do nothing except for cheering for their fave. Also popularity and charts' results gives fans sense of validation of their taste and bragging rights.

• Regarding the competition aspect of it all, i cant claim to speak for koreans in anyway, but my take on it is that south korea is one of the most competitive nations on earth, where rank and your place and status in society is everything. Just look at the strict age hierarchy, ranking practically comes built in and is imprinted on every child since they are old enough to talk. They have charts, rankings, polls etc for almost anything, every other tv show is some form of competition in one kind or the other.

The big tv stations each have their own big award shows every year for their own shows and hosts. There are what, a dozen music awards shows and 3-4 acting award shows?

This naturally reflected onto kpop and the competitions between its domestic fandoms, all of which were then basically "exported" out of the country together with the idols and music itself.

• Regarding the competition aspect of it all, i cant claim to speak for koreans in anyway, but my take on it is that south korea is one of the most competitive nations on earth, where rank and your place and status in society is everything. Just look at the strict age hierarchy, ranking practically comes built in and is imprinted on every child since they are old enough to talk. They have charts, rankings, polls etc for almost anything, every other tv show is some form of competition in one kind or the other.

The big tv stations each have their own big award shows every year for their own shows and hosts. There are what, a dozen music awards shows and 3-4 acting award shows?

This naturally reflected onto kpop and the competitions between its domestic fandoms, all of which were then basically "exported" out of the country together with the idols and music itself.

I stumbled across this interracial couple where the guy is from Korea but living in America, and he said the same thing.

That Koreans are obsessed with competition. They do the thing where they list the names of the top test scorers for everyone to see in schools, and he said that there is no tie. There is either 1st or 2nd. Even if two people got the same score all the time, the one whose name was first in the alphabetical system will always come first. Sucks for the one always in 2nd place. He mentioned that was one of the main reasons he left Korea.

PGDPGT PRETTY GIRLS DOING PRETTY GIRL THINGS

fc48bd06c65bdda5a70662a95298c58967e2efac.gifv2388a663244f2a30b386bac2c9600bc97508161c.gifv

• … since we spend so much time arguing about intricacies of charting, meanwhile actual Koreans arent even thinking about specific songs when they hit "play" while doing laundry or vacuuming.

tbf, isn’t that the case all over the world? I mean, most Brits my age or older are just hitting random on Spotify or loading up Magic FM, which I think of as Taxi drivers /Builders’ radio so they can listen to a basic selection of golden oldies.

Focussing - if that’s all you do- on K charts is just another way of claiming bragging rights, if you can.

• The same way baseball fan care about batting average? If people like something they will tend to get obsess over the details and find satisfaction if that thing do well.

• The same way baseball fan care about batting average? If people like something they will tend to get obsess over the details and find satisfaction if that thing do well.

batting average shows how good the player is. streaming and album sales numbers show how obsessed their fangirls are.

• Speaking from personal experience, I remember when I first got into kpop (in 2015) I had no clue about the charts or anything related to them. I just watched and enjoyed videos and music that I liked. When I started getting into charting and stuff, for me it was just interesting to see how successful a song is and compare it to other songs. It's fun to gauge how big of a hit a song is and put them in tiers with other songs that performed similarly, and also to analyze all of the charting data as a whole. That's still how I feel about charts today. Also, I would say a small part of it is wanting my favs to be successful ofc. Seeing how well songs perform is an easy, objective way to gauge that, which is another reason I'm interested in the charts.

• Same with album sales and music video views, no body should care.

But the fandom is about my fave is better than your fave, so people track those things.

• Most kpop fans use Kpop to escape so it's easy to get obsessed with every little thing relating to your fave group or even a random big group that you don't stan. All I'm gonna say is that being obsessed with music charts 24/7 is not healthy and you could probably spend all that wasted time doing something meaningful instead.

Touch some grass outside elle, you too!

X/X/X/

Fe8TZRpaMAIFav2?format=jpg&name=large

ThinkAbouTzu, Tuwuice:pleading::pleading::pleading:

• Fans care about success. The heavy focus on Korea is, well, because it's Kpop, it's their domestic market. Plus it's only recently that groups could become big on international achievements and i-fans alone. Go back to the 2nd gen and first half of 3rd gen Korean popularity played a so much larger part in a groups overall success.

• Charting means a lot for a K-pop group, and thus, we as fans want to see them do well, succeed and hopefully have a bright future. If they chart high, that usually means they are doing well, or will do well. They want to chart well, we want to see them shine and have they success we believe they deserve. It's as simple as that. Nothing about validation, bragging rights...we're their fans for a reason. Of course we care. I don't look at charts, but if my faves start charting in the top 100, I'm going to be ecstatic because hopefully, and maybe, just maybe the GP will take an interest in them...and that can define their future and longevity.

Maybe I've just stanned too many 'nugus' and that's why I personally care. But I'm glad to see others agree.

ea345ce0012bd5e135557199cecc6df68a5057c4.gif

ninguém como tu

• That's how things goes in k-Pop, companies care about the charts, idols care about the charts and that's what keeps the group relevant and afloat that's what brings brand deals, cfs and tv show appearances just take a look at how Brave girls song topping the charts literally changed their lives, so no I-fans don't exaggerate by caring about the charts .

pretty much this.

If a group is successful it means more comebacks, more music, more brand deals and the most important to them More money. We all want our faves being successful

I honestly see nothing wrong with that

• This thread contains 3 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!