BTS are public figures, getting their pictures taken when they’re in PUBLIC is not the end of the world.

• -rant

Ps. I’m not condoning actually stalking, spying, mobbing, or sharing schedules or booking flights etc. that is a completely different realm and they’re not comparable at all.

Discuss.

Edited once, last by wendii ().

• i dont agree. it could be the president of united states, i would still find it creepy to take pic of someone without their permission/acknowledgement and post it online to share with rest of the world. even when i am posting pictures of my friends in my private insta, i still ask them if its okay, cos it basic decency.

• I think it isn’t a problem when a celebrity is at a public place and aren’t somewhere for private reasons.

And if a celebrity is willing to take a selfie with you, they kinda gave you the permission to upload it, I mean it’s obvious a fan would do that.

• Agreed. The only thing that is not okay imo is if they were doing a private schedule, like going out with family/friends and such, or spreading an image with a rumor that harms them

They know they are a public celeb and they know people are gonna recognize them, they can't always go out with bodyguard's and security

♢ BTS ♢ RED VELVET ♢ STAYC ♢ ITZY ♢ I'VE ♢ 

bf8564d98af24361d0590896c941048f9c781516.gifv 113c3e0e8e47532a0f6e02950f2765764a166a8c.gifv ea538e39aff2514e678056be42c87abdbaefb377.gifv

• It's definitely not the end of the world but there's a fine line. I'd take a photo out of excitement and share it with friends like guess who I saw, but would I feel the need to post it online when it's not a "posed for/consensual" photo and expose his location and where he was just for clout?

Nah.

• Taking pics of someone while they are off schedule is an invasion of privacy. It is literally so uncomfortable for outstanders,

imagine the person who gets their pics taken. Yes, they are public people but that’s not a reason to just throw my morals off the charts

• Yes they are public figures its a given but we should normalize a fine line giving them space when they are on private schedule, this is their time for themselves, let us fans not ruin it for them! I get the excitement of taking pictures, but posting it online for the world to see is basically seeking clout!

• these pictures look like whoever took them followed him around tho...thats not just one candid shot, which im sure other people that saw him that day also could have taken. this is someone who got super close to him more than once in the same place. its weird

who's your favorite artist?

• It depends though. It’s obvious these people did it for the clout. I generally don’t see anything wrong with approaching someone you admire and asking for a handshake or an autograph.

If these fans were genuinely happy about meeting V, they would have just written a fanfic and then added the autograph later on. They get the clout and V keeps his privacy. But this one was a wrong way to go about it.

I don’t see anything wrong with approaching a celebrity you admire but try to do it in a way that makes them comfortable and does not cross into their private space

• I agree. Armys is the most overprotective fandom in the world. They are ready to cancel EVERYONE at the slightest mistake, and this has recently started to bring more negative than positive effects to BTS. Also, the people who took the pictures are not the same people. Fans tried to delete the pictures by saying that the people who took the pictures were sasaengs. I've seen so many pictures and videos that Karmy has shared and taken by different people who were in the museum on the same day. Tae didn't seem bothered by any of them.

"Don’t judge a book by its cover. Everybody has a reason and everybody has a story. I hope people don’t judge a person based on what they see." Kim Taehyung

b9067265d2fcc30fa3ee1ba591881fc0865471a4.jpg

• In my city, we value appearing nonchalant or legit just don't care and usually nobody bothers with photos of celebrities. So coming from my city's culture, I don't see any need to take photos of them if they're on their own private time. I've been like 20 feet away from Bruce Willis and two feet away from Cameron Diaz and everybody acted normal and didn't take any photos because they're kinda just people trying to mind their business. Being a public figure doesn't mean that all your time is for public consumption, even when you're off the clock.

• I just remember Tae during a V Live telling of the fans who had booked seats on their flight and were invading their space. Imagine needing to have your guard up 24.7 because people can’t respect your privacy as a human being

• I just remember Tae during a V Live telling of the fans who had booked seats on their flight and were invading their space. Imagine needing to have your guard up 24.7 because people can’t respect your privacy as a human being

That's a totally diffirent station. You can't compare them. In the first case, sasaengs are specifically trying to buy tickets on the same plane and travel with them. In the other, pictures taken by people who coincidentally encounters in a completely public area, and Tae was also takes photos with them.

"Don’t judge a book by its cover. Everybody has a reason and everybody has a story. I hope people don’t judge a person based on what they see." Kim Taehyung

• it depends on the context and why and how it happened...

if i see BTS (or any other idol) at my local restaurant or whatever (doub it my city's too nugu) I would ask for an autograph photo too but obviously I wouldn't stalk them or anything

• Everyone else: Talking about whether taking pics of public figures without their permission is ok.

Meanwhile me: Thinking about how V towers over the girls around him.

FBlW9fEVgAccONl?format=jpg&name=medium

• I’m 50/50 about this

At bts level we have a surprising low amount of their candid pictures. It’s a combination of Korean culture and k-army extra emphasis on not doing it. They also have tacit understanding/agreement to ignore bts/pretend like they not fan so bts can enjoy themselves doing daily things. We have quite a lot of those stories over the years. So knowing that, what this person did is really out of the norm. So comparing bts and beyonce is not a good one.

The other 50% is I can’t stand it when people obnoxiously harass others online. They need to chill out. But I think criticism is well warranted here. The method, however, is not.

• That's a totally diffirent station. You can't compare them. In the first case, sasaengs are specifically trying to buy tickets on the same plane and travel with them. In the other, pictures taken by people who coincidentally encounters in a completely public area, and Tae was also takes photos with them.

The picture was taken by a saeseng/stalker, following Tae around to get photos and clout. How is that different in any way ?

• It starts with photos and then these idiots think they can push the boundaries more with their favorite idols. I don’t see Tae posing with fans at this event. He seems to be there with family, his mother and sister. If he is outside posing for pictures like the film premiere event, that is totally fine but he doesn’t look aware that photos are being taken. Why encourage others that this type of behavior is ok. The cases of John Lennon and Rebecca Schafer should serve that celebrities not on a promotional scheduled event where they have staff and bodyguards to assist them could lead to a dangerous situation

You’re comparing apples to oranges. These are NOT comparable AT ALL.

One is spotting a celeb in a public space, the other is intentionally obtaining private information (illegally) and stalking them.

This also isn’t comparable to fans being at the airport either imo.

• it depends on the context and why and how it happened...

if i see BTS (or any other idol) at my local restaurant or whatever (doub it my city's too nugu) I would ask for an autograph photo too but obviously I wouldn't stalk them or anything

Exactly, this is all I’m saying.

But if you posted that pic in Twitter you’d probably get dragged, that’s a PROBLEM.

• I’m 50/50 about this

At bts level we have a surprising low amount of their candid pictures. It’s a combination of Korean culture and k-army extra emphasis on not doing it. They also have tacit understanding/agreement to ignore bts/pretend like they not fan so bts can enjoy themselves doing daily things. We have quite a lot of those stories over the years. So knowing that, what this person did is really out of the norm. So comparing bts and beyonce is not a good one.

The other 50% is I can’t stand it when people obnoxiously harass others online. They need to chill out. But I think criticism is well warranted here. The method, however, is not.

Karmys definitely aren’t as “innocent” as they portray themselves to be. They just don’t share a lot of their tea on twitter etc. and they keep things on the korean side of things.

This also reminds me of when it comes to BTS and when they attend weddings.... it’s always a mess on the International side. Meanwhile in Korea they simple don’t care, like people who attended are there taking pics and uploading it, why exactly are you mad? They always blame it on saesangs too.

• The picture was taken by a saeseng/stalker, following Tae around to get photos and clout. How is that different in any way ?

How do you know it was saesangs, tbh Armys call lots of people that.

This was a grand opening VVIP Preview at the Korean international Art Fair.. many people were there and took pics of him, he’s even smiling at one person, it wasn’t just that one poster. He definitely knew they were there.

And some people there did have regular conversations with him.

1634175665-download.jpeg

• Imagine not being able to leave your house without someone taking a picture of you... and then people are surprised there are so many idols who suffer from mental illness... not surprising if people like you consider them public property without any right to their own privacy.

• Karmys definitely aren’t as “innocent” as they portray themselves to be. They just don’t share a lot of their tea on twitter etc. and they keep things on the korean side of things.

This also reminds me of when it comes to BTS and when they attend weddings.... it’s always a mess on the International side. Meanwhile in Korea they simple don’t care, like people who attended are there taking pics and uploading it, why exactly are you mad? They always blame it on saesangs too.

Lmao this is not about "innocent", but it's about "consideration", something that is lost and gone over here for Western celebrities. Considering BTS fame level, there is a huge amount of consideration exert by Karmys to keep it wrapped up enough that it's not exploding everywhere. If you think about the size, intensity and engagement of this fandom, we should have wayyyy more than we do.

Weddings is a few exceptions. Beside, you have to take into consideration the culture difference. It's illegal to take pictures of strangers even in the background without blurring them out in Korea, commercial or not. That's not the same in the US where being in public mean you gave away your photo rights (somewhat), and only blurred if used for commercial purposes.

• I mean if it's a private schedule or private time, i'm fine as long as they know and agree with it. Like let people enjoy their freetime. Everybody needs a little time for themselves, even celebrities.

af4cbcaad4a1abe0246bf37caba00bd9e29ecd6c.gifv0411037240460fde49b7fc965e5c2fc8ab693bdb.gifv

• The picture was taken by a saeseng/stalker, following Tae around to get photos and clout. How is that different in any way ?

Prove it that it was sasaeng. Because, as I said before, the pictures and videos did not come from just one person. Is everyone sasaeng? Also, Tae has taken pictures with some of them, which shows that he doesn't think it's a problem.

• This thread contains 9 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!