(G)I-DLE "I NEVER DIE" Album Discussion! What are your favorite B-sides?

• superyeah

Changed the title of the thread from “(G)I-DLE "I NEVER DIE" Album Discussion!” to “(G)I-DLE "I NEVER DIE" Album Discussion! What are your favorite B-sides?”.
  • I love the throwback reference to "LATATA" on "IN MY BAG." That was a really nice touch!

Yep I heard it too, I thought the same thing.

Is it just me or is there a ton of English in this album? I wonder if this is Soyeon and Cube preparing to take Gidle fully international, in case this comeback is rejected completely by Korea.

It seems Soyeon is little more eager to write in English than before, true. But there's also the fact that Yuqi and Minnie wrote half of the album and they naturally write in English: Yuqi's first single release last year was fully in English, and it is known that Minnie writes her lyrics in English before translating them in Korean (or not).

• Is it just me or is there a ton of English in this album? I wonder if this is Soyeon and Cube preparing to take Gidle fully international, in case this comeback is rejected completely by Korea.

They might be preparing but they're not close to being ready. Soyeon needs a LOT of help with her English. Cube needs to hire good native bi-lingual consultants to help her. I feel that her broken English and poor pronunciation is dragging down the quality of her music and it pains me to see that. I rather she just stick with Korean lyrics.

• wow, such a great album

my favs on first listen probably are villian dies, already and my bag

but all the b-sides are great tracks! it's rare for me to like almost all b-sides of a group or artist, but g(idle) is becoming one of them and i'm elated :pepemusic:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• wow, such a great album

my favs on first listen probably are villian dies, already and my bag

but all the b-sides are great tracks! it's rare for me to like almost all b-sides of a group or artist, but g(idle) is becoming one of them and i'm elated :pepemusic:

actually, nevermind, after a few listenst i can't seem to choose a favourite :pepe-peek:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Disappointed. The album is good, but we are far from the quality of "I Burn" this album is objectively below. I knew it would be very difficult to match the quality of "I burn" so maybe I expected too much.

I think the group still has a lot of things to work on since Soojin's departure, especially in the vocals, Soojin had a particular tone, they have to manage to readapt to compensate for this loss or offer something completely different vocally and I think that's what was most lacking on this album

I appreciate that they try this style, I find that they have succeeded in adapting to it in an overall way. The songs that stand out for me are : "Polaroid", "Escape" & "Liar".

I will rank in my list in "B"

• i just did a ranking in the random thoughts thread because i thought there wouldn't be a discussion :nct12:

hold up, lemme go copy/paste it here

• ranking I never die:

• Disappointed. The album is good, but we are far from the quality of "I Burn" this album is objectively below. I knew it would be very difficult to match the quality of "I burn" so maybe I expected too much.

I think the group still has a lot of things to work on since Soojin's departure, especially in the vocals, Soojin had a particular tone, they have to manage to readapt to compensate for this loss or offer something completely different vocally and I think that's what was most lacking on this album

Weird, I don't feel Soojin's absence in this album. It helps that she never was a vocal powerhouse and was not as defining sound wise as Miyeon, Minnie or Yuqi. Plus, I think the greater focus on rock tones in this album would not have fit her as well as it does the other members. So in my opinion they really made the best out of the new status quo.

I also don't think that the album is lacking compared to 'I burn'. 'I burn' was great but not perfect; I never was a fan of 'Where is love' and LOST for example. In that regard, I think 'I Never Die' is a leap forward when it comes to Yuqi's self written songs.

Of course something's objectively missing as Soojin's voice added some contrast but that's just how it is now; it's not gonna get magically better.

• Very very solid album, but Gidle never disappoints) I think title is a little bit weaker than their usual titles, not that impactful, but I still loved it and loved these rock vibes. Also MV is amazing, imo visually one of their best ones. Great cb! All b-sides are very well done.

• They might be preparing but they're not close to being ready. Soyeon needs a LOT of help with her English. Cube needs to hire good native bi-lingual consultants to help her. I feel that her broken English and poor pronunciation is dragging down the quality of her music and it pains me to see that. I rather she just stick with Korean lyrics.

I totally agree. English is literally Soyeon's one and only weakness. I even noticed it on Oh My God the way she butchered the lyrics "set me free". The pronunciation HAS to be improved if they're gonna go all English eventually like The Feels, Butter, etc. Even the grammar is off here and the diction as well.

They need to hire JYP or whoever does the English lyrics and translation for Twice and Itzy.

ETA: As for the album itself, honestly, it's not truly my sound except for the rock elements, but it's VERY listenable. It's a solid album.

• I'm in love with this album! It's a little early too tell but it could literally be one of my favorite albums ever.

Not sure I can choose a top song. Leaning towards Villian Dies. Maybe Liar.

The only song I'm not feeling is My Bag.

Tomboy is a great title track but I'd probably put it in 7th place. Says more about how good the bsides are than anything <3

• This thread contains 3 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!