Educate me: What is "blackfish" and are KPOP groups really guilty of this?

• I went to this pop forum and saw one of the threads created asking artists who blackfish and some of them mentioned KPOP groups. Why?

Never heard this word before. Is this the same as cultural appropriation?

• I think the only person accused of blackfishing in kpop sphere is Jessi?

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Yes kpop idols do borrow fashion or artistically as is obvious but I don’t believe they’re “black fishing”. Black fishing means you look racially ambiguous or “black” by virtue of the way you dress, the make up you do etc.

K-pop’s beauty standards are very Korean. They’re not trying to look like another race even if they’re heavily borrowing from it.

Kpop fans probably mean to use appropriation and not black fishing.

• So now you can't even have smokey eyes or big lips boosted by make up because people will say you imitate b girls?

Yo that's bullshit

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Yes kpop idols do borrow fashion or artistically as is obvious but I don’t believe they’re “black fishing”. Black fishing means you look racially ambiguous or “black” by virtue of the way you dress, the make up you do etc.

K-pop’s beauty standards are very Korean. They’re not trying to look like another race even if they’re heavily borrowing from it.

Kpop fans probably mean to use appropriation and not black fishing.

you learn something new everyday

• "Catfish" is an actual species of fish that has whiskers like a cat; see below. I'm not sure where the slang term comes from.

Plate-77.jpg

I got curious and looked it up. Lol

Still not clear how it’s related to people lying about their identity online… but as somebody who likes fishing this was an interesting info.

:pepe-cringe:

BBD7C479-ECA8-46B0-84E8-119CF4CBB046.jpeg

• blackfishing = jessi

appropriation would be like cl’s entire career lololol.

- - -

people in here who think blackfishing and appropriation is all bs are the same people who cry wolf when people say something remotely negative about koreans. either pure ignorance or just kboo vibes.

Vachirawit “Bright” Chivaaree can get it every day all day all week every month all year for a lifetime.

4ca3c94a140c38326868f624c2d5d1b062af8138.gifv

• Blackfishing used to be when you try to pass yourself off as black

Now it’s just having a tan & heavy accessories :clown: :clown:

Just like how cultural appropriation used to be when someone would take someone else’s culture and credit it as theirs, or even mock it. Now simply wearing something that another totally different demographic generally has is considered cultural appropriation

Every actual issue ends up being expanded into some BS that far left wannabe activist online who just want to seek woke praise and an excuse to bully stoop down to

Edited once, last by Lubby00 ().

• Kpop fans: Idols shouldn’t borrow stuff from other cultures, it’s offensive

Also Kpop fans: *literally involve themselves in Korean culture every day*

:clown::clown:

And it’s always being picky too. Like they can use other qualities of East Asian culture or European culture, but anything that happens to come from a black or brown ethnicity must be gatekept

• What the heck is brown ethnicity lol

Vachirawit “Bright” Chivaaree can get it every day all day all week every month all year for a lifetime.

• I don’t think people here really get why “blackfishing” is a problem or even appropriating black culture….

The issue at hand is, black women in particular have been called ugly and less than beautiful compared to other ethnicities because of their genetically common traits of darker skin color, bigger hips, thighs, and fuller lips. Yet when other ethnicities get surgery to have these traits, all of a sudden it’s the new standard of beauty. Example: the kardashian/jenner clan.

And as for appropriation, especially when it comes to speech and how they dress…. black people have been called ghetto just for how they talk and have been refused jobs, been held back in society for how they literally been brought up even if they do get proper education, yet when other ethnicities “appropriate” speech like that all of a sudden it’s “cool” when non-blacks start talking in Ebonics. Right how cool….

Also, I can’t count how many times I’ve cringed in this forum or in real life of straight white people using tea, shade, slayyyy, yassss, kiki, read, etc etc and credit it to some white queen in Ru Paul’s Drag Race. Ru Paul can’t even give proper credit to the originators of these black gay linggos.

• Ethnicities with…. Predominately brown people :watt: :watt:

I’m thinking you just mean black people since this thread is about blacks. Cause I highly doubt you’re referring to ethnic groups like SE Asians, hispanics, pacific islanders, etc etc who are predominantly brown.

• The solution to this should be ending stigma of black people expressing themselves how they want to & giving them credit when they do. Not gatekeeping everyone else from doing similar things. Cuz like that’s kindergarten logic, “If I can’t have it, then no one can :mad:

• I’m thinking you just mean black people since this thread is about blacks. Cause I highly doubt you’re referring to ethnic groups like SE Asians, hispanics, pacific islanders, etc etc who are predominantly brown.

I do, which was why I said black & brown instead of just black, cuz Kpop fans make similar accusations for them too

• I had no idea there was such thing but now knowing this, "catfish" doesn't make sense for me.. where is the cat coming from? help

a catfish is an ugly fish

Blue Catfish | NOAA Fisheries

it means:

lure (someone) into a relationship by means of a fictional online persona.

cos you thought you were dating someone nice and you got a catfish (see the fish above)

did blackpink release a new album today?'s tweet - "#LALISA ACAB, aquí solo  respetamos a la POLISA " - TrendsmapID BI****S

OT4 BLINKS OR JAIL

• The solution to this should be ending stigma of black people expressing themselves how they want to & giving them credit when they do. Not gatekeeping everyone else from doing similar things. Cuz like that’s kindergarten logic, “If I can’t have it, then no one can :mad:

Well that isn’t happening anytime soon since nearly everyone who appropriate black culture can’t even give credit, and also society as a whole find black people to be the least attractive in general.

Example, CL hasn’t given one bit of credit to any black artist yet she based her whole career and persona on “acting black” as if she’s from the ghettos of America. lol ooppp….

• I had no idea there was such thing but now knowing this, "catfish" doesn't make sense for me.. where is the cat coming from? help

Because a catfish is a fish that looks like a cat. So not a real cat, but an ugly fish… so yeah, someone using a fake persona/photos online then once you see them in person suddenly they’re not what they appear to be.

• I don’t think people here really get why “blackfishing” is a problem or even appropriating black culture….

The issue at hand is, black women in particular have been called ugly and less than beautiful compared to other ethnicities because of their genetically common traits of darker skin color, bigger hips, thighs, and fuller lips. Yet when other ethnicities get surgery to have these traits, all of a sudden it’s the new standard of beauty. Example: the kardashian/jenner clan.

Only in countries where black people are not the majority and also weren’t native.

In African countries having any other genetic trait than what they are used too, they will consider you less attractive. I’m African, my parents are from Ghana and over there other ethnicities are considered less attractive. If you live in a country where everyone looks like you, where your beauty standards are specific to your race, you view things differently.

The perspective of this is extremely different if you discuss this with a black African or a black American.

An African sees people from different ethnicities getting bigger lips, hips, braids etc and they see it as appreciation, because that is what they find beautiful as well.

While an American Black person will view this as appropriation and problematic because they have never been the beauty standard.

The only place where people will see black as being ugly is if that place didn’t had black characteristics as their beauty standard.

The only way to get rid of that stigma in a multi-cultural country is to embrace every type of beauty. White characteristics in predominantly white countries became the norm because that’s what has been pushed as a the standard and even minorities tried to fit in. There is now a shift and people see the beauty in other ethnicities too and are copying the looks. This is a good step in the right direction and as long as these people don’t claim they are black or are being disrespectful, why not let them ? Gatekeeping it will never lead to view black fashion or genetic characteristics as beautiful if you won’t allow it to become a beauty standard for everyone too.

• Example, CL hasn’t given one bit of credit to any black artist yet she based her whole career and persona on “acting black” as if she’s from the ghettos of America. lol ooppp….

Not true, she always did!

And if there’s an opportunity to speak out in injustices, you take it, just as CL did.

External Content twitter.com

External Content twitter.com

We tend to hold certain public figures on such a high pedestal, but we don’t know their day-to-day interactions, where they probably do more for the black people they directly work with than any of us will ever know.

• This thread contains 12 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!