Is kpop hype dying?

• Or it's just me that isn't feeling that hype anymore? Like I don't care about the new groups.I find them boring. I've lost interest in the groups I always checked. And my faves (blackpink) don't do nothing and probably will disband with less than 30 songs.

It is sad.

• Yeah, 4th gen is just not getting the hype except for maybe some groups. I just don't see the same hype for 4th gen groups that are debuting as there were for 3rd gen. One playing factor that there might be is that a large amount of 3rd gen groups still on the rise or peaking right now in comparison of 2nd gen groups during 3rd gen. Which probably takes away from newer groups. That, and that right now following trends seems to be bigger than ever. If I even bother to check out a 4th gen group they're usually like all the other ones I've seen (obviously kpop has always suffered from this but it's worse than ever). I won't even get into the variety aspect of things....

I think 2nd/3rd gen was definitely the peak for now and the idol industry is losing its relevance (this started happening with GP particularly some time in 3rd gen imo). Probably somewhere down the line, it will gain relevance again but I don't think it will for a while. Guess we'll see though!

• it's way too many groups debuting rn and i also have a hard time finding interest in any of them, but that doesn't say that the kpop hype is dying out. maybe you're just tired and need a break from it all?

just go off everything for a month and slowly get into it again (i've done the same)

• I think you're are getting older and is slowly losing kpop interests.

I was a passionate 2nd gen kpop fan but newer groups after that era didn't interest me as much i was before. I just became a casual fan of newer groups. My faves went on hiatus and by the time they came back I'm already busy juggling in real life

• Well. KPOP is like that for a long time. Everyone was stanning 1 group and war happening left right and center. (myself included). It was a shxtshow. LOL.

No one actually cares about new groups. Except for the people who listen to KPOP because of the music but not for the achievements bragging.

• It's just 3rd gen fans feeling the change and losing the hype just like 2nd gen fans used to with 3rd gen. However, the numbers overall show that Kpop is growing. Also as an early 2nd gen fan myself, I am more interested in 4th generation (whatever you call it but I mean this period) with groups like NCT Dream and Aespa's future than I ever did with 3rd gen (liked some groups but lost the hype compared to 2nd gen).

lt64IYu.gif

Moved the thread from forum The Lounge to forum K-POP.
  • It's just 3rd gen fans feeling the change and losing the hype just like 2nd gen fans used to with 3rd gen. However, the numbers overall show that Kpop is growing. Also as an early 2nd gen fan myself, I am more interested in 4th generation (whatever you call it but I mean this period) with groups like NCT Dream and Aespa's future than I ever did with 3rd gen (liked some groups but lost the hype compared to 2nd gen).

Agreed I only liked 2nd gen and very few 3rd now Aespa has got me back into kpop 8)

• It's been a decade I've been reading people saying Kpop is declining.

It's far from declining.

this is exactly what I was going to say. Kpop groups are setting new peaks and records across YT, Spotify and traditional charts around the world. Kpop is doing just fine.

..............................................................................................................perfume

1a8e5b24bf1c6ccaa1e5bd8ca4a707841e1abe65.gif31addbb43f8bc3a9c9e7fff75dd7f232c5839f1f.gifd752226429a326c0a6d90dfff22926c1961158d1.gif

• Kpop hype carry by Blackpink and BTS. You can't see hype cause they don't active.

Kpop are slow down like this. All stats are decline. I can't see any group chart on billboards hot 100 in next fews years. New gen is nothing near BTS or blackpink hype just look at their view and stream are carry by ads.

• The hype is declining for many longtime fans. It just isn't the same anymore for them. They aren't interested in the new sound and the new way of promoting.

For newbies, it's only beginning, so they don't perceive it the same way.

It's really all about perspective here. Personally, I wish the entire industry as a whole would stop trying to change their ways just for western appeal and western recognition. They had the perfect blend of western and eastern elements 2-3 years ago. Now they're going full-on with it, and I fear it will only backfire when the fans, new and old, realize K-pop no longer has its standout sound and just sounds like the rest of western pop now.

Yeah, the game is totally different for longtime fans (I can literally count in my hands how many BGs I follow from the 4th gen it gets even worse when I think about GGs).

Still I think OP is talking about the current scene with new fans, with some Kpop acts reaching some impressive numbers, like million selling albums for example (only very few can reach that compared to the whole industry tho).

As you said, for new fans, it's just the beginning.

I agree with you about the different sound Kpop used to have in the past, the quirkiness in the right dose, but I still find it generally more interesting and bolder than most of Western Pop acts (at least the popular ones), since producers have more creative liberty.

• not really OMG, BTS, brave girls and blackpink are still going stronger

I think only aespa is doing good tbh

I think groups like Weekly and STAYC are kind of doing very well. This year might be the mark of next gen. Since most 3rd gen groups might be inactive, disbanded, or on hiatus, it might be the year for 4th gen.

I am still much more interested in 3rd gen though. Alcohol-Free is amazing and TWICE did better domestically and did really well internationally. BTS, whose music I love, is dominating no doubt and BLACKPINK should be releasing something. Brave Girls is more of 2nd gen haha. Oh My Girl did well this year thanks to Nonstop and Dolphin last year.

:iloveyoub: BRIGHTWIN FOREVER :iloveyoub: SARAWATTINE FOREVER :iloveyoub: 2GETHER FOREVER :iloveyoub: 

Bom tấn đam mỹ 2gether "đánh úp" bản điện ảnh, cặp BrightWin sắp sửa cưới  nhau hoành tráng?

• Hype is still there if you stan a group that constantly produces music and content to help maintain the hype. So I'm all good.

Sad for those with nothing, hype will easily disappear. Hopefully new content from ya faves come soon or you find new groups to fill the gap in the meantime. etc

• New gen of fans will automatically come, if old ones leave anyways. Things evolve. So does the music. I am rock fan too, but i don't have mentality of not liking current acts.

I stan one group only and like few. But i don't care what happens to future groups. But i won't be putting them down , ten years down the line. I live in moment and will have memories, which i will always remember in my old age

• This thread contains 11 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!