Will there be another girl group that hits as big as BPink internationally?

• BPink had a combination of factors that allowed it to get very popular internationally:

- concept that appeals to westerners

- music that's familiar/agreeable to westerners ears

- some members with personalities that westerners are perceptive to

- luxury fashion aura

- 3/4 members speak english very well

- visually Lisa was racially ambiguous which appeals to westerners

- overall the group had a more "global" feel than a Korean feel

GIDLE could have been a potential candidate but with the ethnic hip incident and they aren't Big 3, not really. They suit pan-Asian vibes more. I really don't see another girl group being able to achieve what BPink did in the west. Unless YG, TBL or HYBE have something else planned with similar high appeal to westerners.

• The way you tried to make something with the "they aren't big3" while the biggest group of kpop of all time isn't from the big3 kkkkkk

Your points are weird tbh. Their personality appeals to the west?? What does it mean????

Anyways, try to make a thread without your salt!

• lmao yall are so funny, someone wanted to objectively discuss a certain subject and you're offended and feel the need to 'defend and protect' your favs as if someones attacking them...chill

• YGE itself still has the highest likelihood. When it comes to fashion and high quality tracks, it's going to be a challenge to stay consistent for SME.

They have gifted and talent songwriters and producers from America, Canada, and Europe, but they usually don't work with them as effectively as they should. Like I've mentioned before, SME had "7th Sense" 4 years before Doja Cat's "Streets" became a top 20 hit.

Odds are they are going to overlook the opportunity to curate the right songs because their vision is limited when it comes to the music and potential of the people on their roster. Just like how they piegonhole Kai as "the dancer" within the group dynamic instead of an all-around entertainer who can dance, sing, and rap...just like how they overlooked the opportunity to bolster these qualities with SNSD-SHY for around 10 years now (they've had clear signs of this kind of edge since "The Boys" and "Beep Beep") too.

Just like TVXQ! had the X-factor of the future (showcased in "Mirotic") that took SM to the "Next Level" on the guy side with SHINee and EXO, I think SNSD-SHY (and f(x) via "Nu Abo") has that kind of factor on the lady side of the roster. SME just never took the time to develop it properly. Now it's the status quo and they are largely lacking.

• Considering 2ne1 and especially BP popularity outside Korea YG new group has a chance but who knows this things are a bit difficult to predict, maybe no other group will be this successful or maybe an unpredicted/unexpected one will explode in popularity

• In korea there will be new groups that will chart much better than blackpink. But global? new groups like aespa or itzy don't have a chance yet sorry. Their spotify streams and yt views indicate that blackpink will be a wall for a while.

• The only one with a chance is HYBE's ngg (or possibly YG's)

BP charted on Bubbling Under at 8 months old. Itzy and Aespa were/are nowhere near that mark in the same time frame even with how much more global kpop is now

• their juniors. new group.

• The way you tried to make something with the "they aren't big3" while the biggest group of kpop of all time isn't from the big3

That's because BTS are an anomaly not the trend. It is definitely a disadvantage, just look at all the groups after BTS. BP, Twice Exo, even for 4th gen it's TXT, SKZ, Itzy even Enhyphen leading internationally.

I can only think of Mmm and maybe Ateez at the top of my head who can even think of competing internationally.

• Anything is possible. A number of shrewd moves were made in marketing BP in the West, including collaborations with very popular, high profile Western artists and appearances at buzz-worthy events like Coachella (ie not solely big kpop niche events). Most of the members are also fluent in English, which helps with Western booking and appearances (at least certainly in the U.S.) Of course it starts with the music and talent and personalities of the women, but I think a lot of smart moves were made here for their brand.

Aespa has some of these aspects and has certainly learned from the NCT content to include more English-language appearances and content in the marketing, so possible. It's also a small enough group to be manageable for the marketplace. The AI thing everyone freaks out isn't really a big deal - people have been doing AI and CG versions of themselves in videos for years and it's not really the deal breaker that kpoppies think it is.

I think the new Hybe GG is possibly the one to watch here. The company has tremendous brand and corporate power now and has used it smartly to better leverage its groups from launch and negotiate placement of its groups on top programs (at least in the US, which is all I can speak credibly about). They have also applied many of the learnings from BTS marketing towards newer group launches. (While those groups are not the same, many of the lessons learn can help drive the build out of new groups, so I would anticipate a strong performance here).

..............................................................................................................perfume

1a8e5b24bf1c6ccaa1e5bd8ca4a707841e1abe65.gif31addbb43f8bc3a9c9e7fff75dd7f232c5839f1f.gifd752226429a326c0a6d90dfff22926c1961158d1.gif

• groups stop at some point and so will bp but if u want to take 4th gen in consideration I would take anybody out that has more than 1.5 years of activity bc by that time bp debuted in bb bubbling with a single

for all we know, the gg hasn't debuted yet and may not even be from 4th gen

• Anything is possible. A number of shrewd moves were made in marketing BP in the West, including collaborations with very popular, high profile Western artists and appearances at buzz-worthy events like Coachella (ie not solely big kpop niche events). Most of the members are also fluent in English, which helps with Western booking and appearances (at least certainly in the U.S.) Of course it starts with the music and talent and personalities of the women, but I think a lot of smart moves were made here for their brand.

Aespa has some of these aspects and has certainly learned from the NCT content to include more English-language appearances and content in the marketing, so possible. It's also a small enough group to be manageable for the marketplace. The AI thing everyone freaks out isn't really a big deal - people have been doing AI and CG versions of themselves in videos for years and it's not really the deal breaker that kpoppies think it is.

I think the new Hybe GG is possibly the one to watch here. The company has tremendous brand and corporate power now and has used it smartly to better leverage its groups from launch and negotiate placement of its groups on top programs (at least in the US, which is all I can speak credibly about). They have also applied many of the learnings from BTS marketing towards newer group launches. (While those groups are not the same, many of the lessons learn can help drive the build out of new groups, so I would anticipate a strong performance here).

I don't know why you think is all marketing though I think the reason why bp became the biggest girl group is because of likability basically the girls themselves, marketing tactic-tics will only get you so far.

and it's not like bp is heavily promoted or have a often comebacks

• That's because BTS are an anomaly not the trend. It is definitely a disadvantage, just look at all the groups after BTS. BP, Twice Exo, even for 4th gen it's TXT, SKZ, Itzy even Enhyphen leading internationally.

I can only think of Mmm and maybe Ateez at the top of my head who can even think of competing internationally.

So what? A non big3 gg can also become the biggest gg in kpop too.

• I don't know why you think is all marketing though I think the reason why bp became the biggest girl group is because of likability basically the girls themselves, marketing tactic-tics will only get you so far.

and it's not like bp is heavily promoted or have a often comebacks

But that's not what I said tho - I did not say they were "all marketing," but rather that some shrewd moves were made in marketing them in the West - I've bolded what I said below. Regardless of whether BP had tons of promotion, they had some really smart promotions and marketing in trying to cross over. I don't know why people think it takes away from their group's success to say there were some clever and tactical marketing elements involved. Kpop groups, in particular, are built on a marketing base - a specific look, talents, vibe, aesthetics, elements to address a niche or style in the marketplace, as well as elements that talk to the fan base (whether social media or products). Marketing is not a dirty word, but rather makes the kpop world go round.

Appearing at Coachella was a really big deal and generated much attention and earned media (i.e. people were writing about them for free in news stories). Although they had appeared at Kcon for several years, it was Coachella that generated all the stories. There were also really savvy moves made in the collaborations (fairly mainstream younger artists who are popular with women) vs just grabbing people who appear on anyone's track, like a Pitbull.

I still stick my original point that "Of course it starts with the music and talent and personalities of the women, but I think a lot of smart moves were made for their brand."

Anything is possible. A number of shrewd moves were made in marketing BP in the West, including collaborations with very popular, high profile Western artists and appearances at buzz-worthy events like Coachella (ie not solely big kpop niche events). Most of the members are also fluent in English, which helps with Western booking and appearances (at least certainly in the U.S.) Of course it starts with the music and talent and personalities of the women, but I think a lot of smart moves were made here for their brand.

..............................................................................................................perfume

1a8e5b24bf1c6ccaa1e5bd8ca4a707841e1abe65.gif31addbb43f8bc3a9c9e7fff75dd7f232c5839f1f.gifd752226429a326c0a6d90dfff22926c1961158d1.gif

• But that's not what I said tho - I did not say they were "all marketing," but rather that some shrewd moves were made in marketing them in the West - I've bolded what I said below. Regardless of whether BP had tons of promotion, they had some really smart promotions and marketing in trying to cross over. I don't know why people think it takes away from their group's success to say there were some clever and tactical marketing elements involved. Kpop groups, in particular, are built on a marketing base - a specific look, talents, vibe, aesthetics, elements to address a niche or style in the marketplace, as well as elements that talk to the fan base (whether social media or products). Marketing is not a dirty word, but rather makes the kpop world go round.

Appearing at Coachella was a really big deal and generated much attention and earned media (i.e. people were writing about them for free in news stories). Although they had appeared at Kcon for several years, it was Coachella that generated all the stories. There were also really savvy moves made in the collaborations (fairly mainstream younger artists who are popular with women) vs just grabbing people who appear on anyone's track, like a Pitbull.

I still stick my original point that "Of course it starts with the music and talent and personalities of the women, but I think a lot of smart moves were made for their brand."

So what smart tactical moves are you talking about? Coachella and the Dua lipa collab weren't even YG ideas. Dua lipa herself said having blackpink appear on her track was her idea. Coachella founder gave a speech at a school about his plans to make caochella a more diverse/international event and named bp among other artists as potential performers and this was months before their confirmed attendance. Then he personally flew to SK to invite them so it seems like that was more of a coachella idea.

The opportunities bp got have more to do with them having the demand and popularity to make them possible. It's not like other labels just didn't think to get A-list collabs, they just can't in most cases. Too many people want to say blackpink's success is thanks to their super genius marketing team when in reality that same team wouldn't be able to do anything with the average group.

• This thread contains 21 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!