Despite Magnetics success, ILLIT as a group don't seem very popular

• I don't know if this is just me but while I seen people talk about ILLITs success due to Magnetic I've rarely seen people talk about the members, concept, and just the group in general beyond achievements. I've been in multiple kpop community sites and it feels like no one is talking about the ILLIT members or even Magnetic as a song, just its achievements. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying they're flops or anything I was just wondering if anyone else was having the same experience.

• They were marketed towards Japan and Korea, suddenly just blew up internationally.

They barely had followers of most hyped groups, and it's only been 2 weeks of debut so give them some time for people to get to know the members and grow the fandom. I would say the song is way more popular atm.

• Same was said to NJ that they don't know the members, only the group name and the songs, but look at them now. Moka is the most popular right now like trending top in China and Japan.

• They will be at the top globally for the next 4 weeks, so in that time will gain more fans.

Well maybe not in Korea, where a song has more ULs in one Korean service than total streams in worldwide Spotify.

• Only the girl moka seems to gain some attention surprised because wonhee was hyped (not for good reason but she’s cute so I expected her to trend in Korea)

Tbh they’re like Kepler, ditching the contestants that they were the most popular was a bad move but at least Kepler has strong lineup illit is pretty much faceless and is carrying by their music.

• I get lots of updates from Kpop TW. What i've seen repeatedly with respect to individual members:

1. Fans defending Yunah from apparent hate due to her looking older than her members and not fitting in to concept

2. Fans wondering why Moka isnt being pushed as the center and visual, and some slight shade against Wonhee

3. Nobody ever mentioning Rohan or whatever her name is

4. M**j* not ever standing out yet her akgaes going nutz

• Same was said to NJ that they don't know the members, only the group name and the songs

I...don't think this was ever said, other than when they first debuted and literally nobody knew who they were.

At the very least, Korea obsessed over Minji and Haerin right away, ifans obsessed over Hanni, and Danielle to a lesser extent, and haters obsessed over Hyein's age.

Once they debuted, people pretty quickly realized Minji and Hanni were in the Permission to Dance MV, and people also found out that both Hyein and Danielle were child stars with multiple clips up on YT. There was little known about Haerin, but that added to her mystique.

That said, and this is more towards the OP, ILLIT was formed from a survival competition show, so they definitely have at least somewhat of a core fandom that has followed them from the first episode of that show.

I would've watched it, but everyone here and on reddit kept saying it was bad ;judgingpepe:

• Same was said to NJ that they don't know the members, only the group name and the songs, but look at them now. Moka is the most popular right now like trending top in China and Japan.

Sadly no. When Newjeans debut, almost half of the hot topics in every Korean social media platforms are about the members. EVERYDAY. It went on for like 2-3 weeks. Illit have the stream numbers but never have 1/10 the same cultural impact Newjeans had. Like Korea totally crazy about them at that time especially Minji who suddenly took the next "national first love" crown just days after their debut. You just can not compare.

• We're really having this discourse over a group who just became elligible for music show wins this week?

Like I don't know what y'all expect, most people aren't gonna ve particularly heavy in the person discussion for a group.

Only reason Ive and LSF had it out the gate was cause they came from Produce and had big names to zero in on.

• Sadly no. When Newjeans debut, almost half of the hot topics in every Korean social media platforms are about the members. EVERYDAY. It went on for like 2-3 weeks. Illit have the stream numbers but never have 1/10 the same cultural impact Newjeans had. Like Korea totally crazy about them at that time especially Minji who suddenly took the next "national first love" crown just days after their debut. You just can not compare.

People love to re-write history, but there were several trending topics about the members themselves since Day 1

GFTNIOfWoAAReYI?format=jpg&name=large

Bankai: Minazuki

85e1d14897360f5af5426181e6b1e605126ab548.gifv

• 3. Nobody ever mentioning Rohan or whatever her name is

I assume you mean Iroha. She's their best dancer. Cute/innocent concept is not her strenght

M**j* not ever standing out yet her akgaes going nutz

I believe with proper promotion she'll blow up in Korea. People seems like her and praise her. She not my fav but believe me, she has potential to be named as one of 5th gen visual idol.

• We're really having this discourse over a group who just became elligible for music show wins this week?

Like I don't know what y'all expect, most people aren't gonna ve particularly heavy in the person discussion for a group.

Only reason Ive and LSF had it out the gate was cause they came from Produce and had big names to zero in on.

R u saying other ggs didn't have members trending except ive and lsf? Because that's not true at all. Nj, aespa, nmixx, itzy all had members getting attention from the very beginning. If anything it's expected from a big4 group.

`.¸,°.. EUNBI ..°,¸.´

bd244e5463f542b0458f07ca2f1ac31e381fb86a.gifv b14ebbb2cafd17a83af16ce034df00d7028a5940.gifv

• nj is same, in a lesser level lsfrm follow the same path

biggest hits 4th gen has seen? yes

but who is the most popular member from a 4th gen gg? wj, there is karina, there is winter

its not a nj member, like damn kazuha has a dating scandal and flies make more noise

smth that never happen in pass gens, bp was the most popular gg, the most popular gg member was jennie or lisa, before that it was snsd with yoona in everybody soup follow by taeyeon who is still insanely popular

idk blame hybe, they have this thing were the group is huge and then their members are ehhh

except for jk

• - It hasn't been a month

- Magnetic got viral even before their official debut so it means song > group now

- Their styling is horrible and doesn't fit some of the members, I'm sorry but it has to be said

- The group doesn't have the IT factor YET except their catchy song/music. I'm saying this because as some who watched their survival show, this concept doesn't suit them and really limits most members' best potentials except that stiff girl Wonhee. That's why their performances don't look impressive compared to the rest of Hybe groups.

• The participants are not at all charismatic, boring and plastic. When I watch a video with them, I get the feeling that they are just mannequins without emotions. Compared to NJ, they are mediocre, it is not surprising that at the conference journalists spoke negatively about them, saying that they answered questions insincerely and read out memorized phrases.

• For them they are trending, and you cannot trend forever.

They need to convert all the trend stans following them now into real fans, when they watch their content. I'm not a fan, and just checked out a bit of their content just to assess their long term prospects, and I can say they seem to have personalities, are fun and are not 100% fake. So it looks as if they will build up a fanbase fairly easily.

There are other 4th gen groups that were trending previously and they had their chance when they were trending, but were boring af. That's why certain groups that are boring af are declining now.

• This thread contains 2 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!