Is possible to sing bad in encores but do extremely well in other "live" presentations?

• External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Is possible? You can kill it in a "live" presentation but later sing bad in encores? IMO, i believe this "live" shows are not really "live" This are fake lives. Yes, i saw good singers do bad presentations, but this was because they were not in the best shape, mostly due to illness or drugs. But this idols are in good shape, also, there is not one occasion, there are many, and always in encores, wich we all know they have to sing live. I want to talk about this because i find alot of people, but alot (mostly armys) who believe this idols are in reality good or even amazing singers. And they just ignore this videos exists. Is like they deceive themselves. Why is that? In my case, for example, i know my faves are bad singers, and dont care. I dont attach my self-steem to how good or how well my faves are doing. Is like that, what i can do? nothing, just accept it. Besides, Kpop should be fun, and worry about this things is not.

Anyway, back to the subject. I believe this idols are average or bad singers, and the production does the rest of the work in studio. What you think? Is posible to be bad in encores but good in other "live" presentations? or all is a big scheme? If is yes, then how is this possible? :whatb:

• Ig it depends on frequency and what kind of "bad performance" they gave?

If singers consistently can't sing (or are terrified to sing) in nearly every situation where it's purely live with no retouching, they're bad singers. If it's just once or twice, they just had a really bad performance which happens to everyone. And also, if the "bad" performance is them pretty blatantly being aware they can't hold a note and trying to cop out of it by doing other stuff to distract from it, they can't sing, know it and I don't really feel that bad when they get criticized for it.

Most "live" shows have heavily autotuned mics and go through heavy post production and editing. Even shows like Masked Singer or Immortal songs will clean up performances

Complex is over-rated, Ill go up higher and shine brighter than anyone else

BLACKPINKJESSICANEWJEANSSEJEONGTHE ROSETWICEYERIN BAEKYUKIKATHE VOLUNTEERS

ee868cb541261094eb3c49077579820d9d2684ef.gifv259551f29b1b419b0910ccd1ffe7a59b3ca03dbb.gifv9179a574e42e68a00c37635d5151fe4ebba30003.gifv9fbbfdae9fd592cc7858e29f534e290375563da9.gifv

• During actual performances, they can hear themselves through their in-ear monitors. It seems like these are not worn during the encore stage. The speakers are also usually facing the other way. It's not an ideal setting for singing.

• During actual performances, they can hear themselves through their in-ear monitors. It seems like these are not worn during the encore stage. The speakers are also usually facing the other way. It's not an ideal setting for singing.

Singers dont practice all the time? All this practice is always with in-ear monitors? The lack of this monitor affect that much? Then why dont affect other idols?

• Well we can be honest and say most singers in kpop are not good singers. Other than that, even great singers have their off days. And for the final nail in the coffin, they dont wear their in-ears during encores

Oh my baby sweet like bubble gum!

16a5ad82f46a76cf3cdeb18fe28d7be0a6d0a66f.gifv

• Of course it is. You don't fully mentally prepare for a serious performance during encores. They're meant to be for fun, thats why idols always prepare props, or promise fans they'll do certain things if they win.

There's also alot of random stuff going around like the rest of the members goofing around on stage. And encores happen right after you win and you're already emotionally high. There's many factor that effects encores.

• Now that I'm watching the I Am stage, it really doesn't deserve to be here. It's not bad singing, it's bad harmonizing. Which to be fair, live harmonization in kpop is something thats always been kinda rare

Complex is over-rated, Ill go up higher and shine brighter than anyone else

BLACKPINKJESSICANEWJEANSSEJEONGTHE ROSETWICEYERIN BAEKYUKIKATHE VOLUNTEERS

ee868cb541261094eb3c49077579820d9d2684ef.gifv259551f29b1b419b0910ccd1ffe7a59b3ca03dbb.gifv9179a574e42e68a00c37635d5151fe4ebba30003.gifv9fbbfdae9fd592cc7858e29f534e290375563da9.gifv

• Of course it is. You don't fully mentally prepare for a serious performance during encores. They're meant to be for fun, thats why idols always prepare props, or promise fans they'll do certain things if they win.

There's also alot of random stuff going around like the rest of the members goofing around on stage. And encores happen right after you win and you're already emotionally high. There's many factor that effects encores.

Mmmm. I get they dont put alot of effort like in a real performance, but this is bad singing, below average. Also, they are in front of fans, this people spend their time to go there to see them, they want to hear them singing. Why they dont do a nice presentation if they can? I dont understand how they do so well in all this live presentations, like pros, but in encores they just cant sing, and they know they will have to sing, is not like they stop in the street and people ask them to sing. I cant imagine what factor can affect many idols so much that they forget to sing properly in an encore, but later this dont affect them in a live perfomance, dont seem logical to me.

• Mmmm. I get they dont put alot of effort like in a real performance, but this is bad singing, below average. Also, they are in front of fans, this people spend their time to go there to see them, they want to hear them singing. Why they dont do a nice presentation if they can? I dont understand how they do so well in all this live presentations, like pros, but in encores they just cant sing, and they know they will have to sing, is not like they stop in the street and people ask them to sing. I can imagine what factor can affect many idols so much that they forget to sing properly in an encore, but later this dont affect them in a live perfomance, dont seem logical to me.

I dont think its a factor of forgetting to sing properly but just that they dont.

Take for example, when I'm singing happy birthday at a birthday party, I don't try to sing like Adele. In fact, I have singer friends and they don't sing happy birthday at even 50% of what they are capable of.

Encores are essentially birthdays. You're celebrating a win. Now if idol choose to sing their heart out, then nothing is wrong with that but we shouldn't bash idols who chooses not to.

• Of course, it's human nature, I'm not saying they should always sing at their best, but personally, bad encores from kpop turn me off. Kpop had started to bore me in the last 2 months. Then I watched the Song play program again, where the 2nd generation singers gathered. They were trying to interpret and sing each other's songs. This is it, I said, as I was listening to it, I passed out. You feel the emotion and enthusiasm in real singers. Why should I settle for the mediocre and weak performances of most groups when I can listen to better and real singers. At least they should practice for their encore performance. It is not very difficult, many people sing one line or two in parts in the group.

• Of course, it's human nature, I'm not saying they should always sing at their best, but personally, bad encores from kpop turn me off. Kpop had started to bore me in the last 2 months. Then I watched the Song play program again, where the 2nd generation singers gathered. They were trying to interpret and sing each other's songs. This is it, I said, as I was listening to it, I passed out. You feel the emotion and enthusiasm in real singers. Why should I settle for the mediocre and weak performances of most groups when I can listen to better and real singers. At least they should practice for their encore performance. It is not very difficult, many people sing one line or two in parts in the group.

Oh, i can understand this. Good thing i have Nmixx :cheer-bunny:

• Mmmm. Really? DOnt seem like they are having a good time singing bad, i mean, look their faces.

😂 It's probably just the groups I watch then. A lot of times, they just joke around during the encores so I guess I assumed all the groups did that.

• There’s a mix, isn’t there? Sometimes, they’re genuinely just having an off day… they’ve done a heavily ‘supported’ performance and and are then on the spot with chaos around them, lack of decent in-ear and it just comes across baaad. But, use discretion? How often have they actually sung live and sounded good? If there are enough examples of decent vocals, it’s obviously just a bad day.

Other times, it’s obvious that these performers have barely ever had to sing live and unsupported or had to learn how to harmonise properly *in-person* (a very different skill to doing so in the studio with a recorded track). Just seems a bit cruel to drop them in it then with these encore stages , when the industry is so massively weighted towards lip sync, or very muted mics, live auto tune, or ‘live’ performances which are massively smoothed out in post. The latter is the industry standard even for the best vocalists out there… so now you’re suddenly going to decide that the one measure of a decent performer is how sharp their vocals are in one specific setting only?

• There’s a mix, isn’t there? Sometimes, they’re genuinely just having an off day… they’ve done a heavily ‘supported’ performance and and are then on the spot with chaos around them, lack of decent in-ear and it just comes across baaad. But, use discretion? How often have they actually sung live and sounded good? If there are enough examples of decent vocals, it’s obviously just a bad day.

Other times, it’s obvious that these performers have barely ever had to sing live and unsupported or had to learn how to harmonise properly *in-person* (a very different skill to doing so in the studio with a recorded track). Just seems a bit cruel to drop them in it then with these encore stages , when the industry is so massively weighted towards lip sync, or very muted mics, live auto tune, or ‘live’ performances which are massively smoothed out in post. The latter is the industry standard even for the best vocalists out there… so now you’re suddenly going to decide that the one measure of a decent performer is how sharp their vocals are in one specific setting only?

Yeah. I believe the groups i post had enough bad encores to call that just one day off. Is too challenging perform one song to groups that are used to give concerts of many hours? The in-ear thing is that crucial?
    Encore is not the only measure. But you dont find suspicious that they can give this amazing performances in front of thousands of people, for many hours, and when they have to sing one song in a stage that we know for sure is 100% live, in front of less people they cant even give a decent show?

To me is like inviting Messi to a friendly match a when you see him playing Leo cant even kick the ball properly. That just dont make sense.

• One thing to take note is that for live performances, they can hear themselves better because they have their in ears to hear the song properly and tell them when their part is coming

Whereas encore is just music blasting in your face and there might be a lot of echo and makes it hard to hear

So even though it is easier to sing physically during encore because you aren't panting around, it is harder to be on pitch and key maybe

• One thing to take note is that for live performances, they can hear themselves better because they have their in ears to hear the song properly and tell them when their part is coming

Whereas encore is just music blasting in your face and there might be a lot of echo and makes it hard to hear

So even though it is easier to sing physically during encore because you aren't panting around, it is harder to be on pitch and key maybe

This is a fair point. So this isn't an idol example but when Adam Lambert had that controversial AMAs performance back in the day, he sounded horrible. Everyone knows he is capable of singing amazingly well live with little effort. Aside from his nerves, the acoustics of the place and not being able to hear his in-ears very well with very loud music all contributed to him being completely off-key and pitchy. It was painful to listen to.

Boy, so many put alot of responsability on this in-ears thing. Mmmm, that could be a thing in the first bad encore, but in the next ones? I find hard to believe that people who work so much every day in their skills cant solve this issue in the next encore. THey cant practice before the song in acapella? How other groups dont present this problem? How even some idols in the same group, in the same encore, dont show this problem with their voices?

• Boy, so many put alot of responsability on this in-ears thing. Mmmm, that could be a thing in the first bad encore, but in the next ones? I find hard to believe that people who work so much every day in their skills cant solve this issue in the next encore. THey cant practice before the song in acapella? How other groups dont present this problem? How even some idols in the same group, in the same encore, dont show this problem with their voices?

It's not about practising acapella, but when the song is blasting sometimes you can't hear yourself, or because you cannot hear the music properly it influences you to sing in a different key.

It's not like you can magically "switch off" the blasting music in my ears. Like lets say I'm singing karaoke in the usual pitch, if you pitch it 1 key higher, I physically cannot sing the song in the original key with the new background music blasting in my ears.

It's not an excuse, but I'm just providing a valid reasoning as to why sometimes this kind of things happen. But of coz maybe they just suck

• If it is something consistent they are just bad singers, excuses like they are having fun and not giving their best or not wearing the in ears are not valid reasons to always have bad encores. They are supposed to be professional singers, ofc they can still have fun while singing and it won't affect their skills to an extreme degree, also the main purpose of the in ears is to protect the ears and getting cues, it won't really have a big impact in the singing and even less in venues like these.

• Sometimes they play around just to hide their bad singing

One thing I've been looking at lately is to see how idols fare when they do First Take (and I guess seeing who avoids doing First Take is also telling). I love my &TEAM but vocals are not a strong suit for a few of them. 😅 They didn't do horribly but also it was...well, some of them need to continue working on that a little more. Most didn't train for very long before debuting though, so there's a lot of room to grow. Maki is a natural talent though, and would definitely nail the encore, as would K and EJ.

• Boy, so many put alot of responsability on this in-ears thing. Mmmm, that could be a thing in the first bad encore, but in the next ones? I find hard to believe that people who work so much every day in their skills cant solve this issue in the next encore. THey cant practice before the song in acapella? How other groups dont present this problem? How even some idols in the same group, in the same encore, dont show this problem with their voices?

Honestly some are bad singers but if you can't hear yourself sing and haven't practised singing without hearing yourself, its not going to go well for 90% of singers. Also don't forget, few idols keep attending vocal lessons post debut and the companies don't care because the more time they spend practising, the less time they are making the company money. Even if they work on their singing, they do it whilst being able to hear themselves so they can tell when they are off pitch or flat. Without that feedback or years of constant experience singing when they can barely hear themselves of course they'd struggle.

Around 1:40 of the clip below IU mentions part of her practice for golden hour was to sing with her ears blocked because she didn't know how well she'd be able to hear (note she does have a hearing disorder).

The reason some do have this problem and some don't is probably a mix between not enough training pre or post debut, the idols vocal range and how easy the song is to sing. If the song has loads of difficult sections (or just uses a difficult singing style or technique) and their parts are on the edge of their vocal range, its not surprising they struggle to sing it, especially without hearing themselves. If the song fits easily within their comfortable range without many ups and downs or is talk singing in most parts its easier to sound great in encores.

• This thread contains 2 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!