Vocal Nerds! Ranking Produce/Planet Groups Vocally

• How would you rank the Produce/Planet groups in terms of vocals and what vocal tiers would you give them?

My ranking (overall)

IOI> Wanna One> ZB1> IZ*ONE> X1> Kep1er

If I had to give their vocal lines tiers:

IOI

Sejeong - Above Average (B)

Yeonjung - High Average (C+)

Chungha - Weak-Average (D)

Wanna One

Jaehwan - Average to Above Average (B-)

Ong Seongwu - Average (C-)

Minhyun - High Weak-Average (D+)

Sungwoon - Mid Weak-Average (D)

Daehwi - Low Weak-Average (D-)

ZB1

Taerae - Average (C)

Zhang Hao - Average (C)

Sung Hanbin - High Weak-Average (D+)

Park Gunwook - High/Mid Weak-Average (D/ D+)

Ricky - Mid/Low Weak-Average (D-)

Matthew - Low Weak-Average (D-)

Jiwoong - Weak (E/E+)

IZ*ONE

Yuri - Average (C)

Yena - High Weak-Average (D+)

Eunbi - High/Mid Weak-Average (D+/D)

Chaewon - High Weak (E+)

Chaeyeon - Weak (E)

X1

Minhee - Was High Weak-Average in X1 but improved to A in Cravity (D+ to C+)

Seungwoo - High Weak-Average (D+)

Junho - Mid Weak-Average (D)

Seungyoon - Weak (E)

Yohan - Weak (E)

Kep1er

Chaehyun - Mid Average (C)

Youngeun - Weak (E)

The others are all underdeveloped (so F-tier). Even if more members supported overall, if one vocalist is clearly better than the main vocalists of other groups then I gave the edge to them (IOI vs Wanna One). On the flip side, if the main vocalists were on the same/similar level, I gave the edge to whichever group had more members with support (ZB1 VS IZ*ONE vs X1 Vs Kep1er)

• Quite a good ranking, it's hard to disagree. Sejeong > Yeonjung and Yena being the 2nd best in IZ*ONE are unexpected for many but this is how it goes by objective technique ranking.

IZ*ONE was quite solid as a whole but IOI had some real standout main vocals.

• Quite a good ranking, it's hard to disagree. Sejeong > Yeonjung and Yena being the 2nd best in IZ*ONE are unexpected for many but this is how it goes by objective technique ranking.

IZ*ONE was quite solid as a whole but IOI had some real standout main vocals.

Is it really unexpected tho? Yeonjung was just really good at the high note, but I think many people agreed that Sejeong was the best vocalist from IOI. In terms of Iz*One, Yena was second for most people just behind Yuri.

For IOI, a lot of them were really solid as well, after Chungha and Yoojung are legit all-rounders, especially Chungha who carried IOI's OST during their sub-unit days. Jieqiong and Somi both did the high notes on the title track while the main vocals were out. Doyeon and Nayoung aren't bad either, both were on King of the Masked Singer.

• Is it really unexpected tho? Yeonjung was just really good at the high note, but I think many people agreed that Sejeong was the best vocalist from IOI. In terms of Iz*One, Yena was second for most people just behind Yuri.

For IOI, a lot of them were really solid as well, after Chungha and Yoojung are legit all-rounders, especially Chungha who carried IOI's OST during their sub-unit days. Jieqiong and Somi both did the high notes on the title track while the main vocals were out. Doyeon and Nayoung aren't bad either, both were on King of the Masked Singer.

A lot of people tend to equate high notes to being good even if they are nasal/strained or the singer has a naturally high tone which enables hitting higher notes but takes away massively from overall vocal quality (eg. Sieun, Bora).

I used to be exactly like this myself. I also had zero sense for strain vs support for the longest time, now I do hear it. To make it even worse I couldn't even accurately determine if I was listening to actual live singing or not and what the degree of postprocessing was. Eventually I had to admit that my fave Jo Yuri strains everything and IZ*ONE almost never sang live in any performance. Yuri is a good example of how tone can make up for technique though, all her covers are still god tier.

Oh and of course I initially thought Yeonjung was far better to Sejeong because more high note = more good :pepe-shame:

Over time by listening to a lot of singing you develop a taste for actual good technique though and nowadays I look for open, full sounding belting and as close as possible to resonant (eg. Haewon), that just sounds incredible to me.

• interesting...
    I kinda want you (or other user from this thread) to make a vocalist ranking from each member 4th gen group...

• Isn't Wanna One's main vocalists Jaehwan and Sungwoon? And Seungwoo is X1's best vocalist. But yeah IOI > W1 > X1 > ZB1 > Iz*One > KepleR

Unfortunately, a lot of main vocalists are given the position just because they have a naturally high range and can hit high notes despite not being technically strong, especially for male pop vocalists. Jimin, VIXX's Leo, Chenle are good examples.

Also X1 are not stronger that ZB1 vocally.

• I think a lot of vocal nerds (myself included) started out like this because of the narrative that high notes are better or that company positions are the be all end all (like main vocalists HAVE to be the best vocalists of their groups and members without vocal positions are automatically underdeveloped).

I'm glad people are now realizing Sejeong is better than Yeonjung or Chaehyun is better than Bora. I'm waiting for the day Boys Planet stans will also realize Taerae, Zhang Hao, Sung Hanbin are better than Jay lol

• I think a lot of vocal nerds (myself included) started out like this because of the narrative that high notes are better or that company positions are the be all end all (like main vocalists HAVE to be the best vocalists of their groups and members without vocal positions are automatically underdeveloped).

I'm glad people are now realizing Sejeong is better than Yeonjung or Chaehyun is better than Bora. I'm waiting for the day Boys Planet stans will also realize Taerae, Zhang Hao, Sung Hanbin are better than Jay lol

Jay makes me a hypocrite. I'm always side-eyeing people that use vocal tone or everything other than technique to name someone a good vocalist, but he sounds so special ;( Joy is my bias in Red Velvet, and even if her tone is pretty, it's pretty clear that Seulgi and Wendy are better, even if I didn't know vocal tiers, but IDK what happens when it comes to Jay

I'm not a vocal nerd, but ZB1 would be my top 1 based on vocals. They have the most vocalists who can support and the lineup is even smaller than others (sans Kep1er). If we had an ot11 lineup, Jay and Park Hanbin would make it, and by the review I saw, PHanbin is like C- (or a really high D+), and Jay is similar to Gunwook and Sung Hanbin. Even if others have a better main vocal, it's not someone like Chen or Kyuhyun who are too much better and would compensate the lack of vocalists.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!